• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JdFoX187

Banned
NullPointer said:
Look to my coming on the 4th day of October. Look to the East.

The bandwidth has to hold.

mi31gh.jpg

*gallops away to start download*
I admit, I lol'd.

Decided to get the PC version from Amazon. Fuck downloading 22 GB, and I get a $10 gift card.

Effect

DaBuddaDa said:
Yeah, those are previews. Previews are never negative. From people reviewing it:

"Just hit the point where if I wasn't getting paid to play this fucking game, I would have stopped."

"Not impressed."

"Gotta love scheduled online review matches where nobody fucking turns up." "I give up. I don't have time to sit around in empty lobbies."

And I remember Arthur Gies on Rebel FM mentioning that he played a "new IP" recently that was under embargo that he didn't like. There is a very strong chance and is most likely referring to RAGE.

Who are these quotes from?

Solo

jett said:
Never downloaded 22 fucking gigs in my life, wonder how will my ISP feel about that.

I thought you played (or at least tried to play) The Witcher 2? That was 19GB.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
I thought you played (or at least tried to play) The Witcher 2? That was 19GB.

I thought it was less than that. Apparently my brain blocked that particular experience. Anyway I've never broken the 20GB barrier.

aeolist

Banned
An-Det said:
If anyone lives in the area of Mesquite, TX, you should go to your local gamestop midnight release. Carmack just tweeted:

I'm going to be at the Mesquite, TX GameStop Monday night for the midnight Rage release if anyone wants to say hi.

http://bit.ly/rmTSwD
Oh shit I might head over to that if I knew which Mesquite GS he was talking about

Truespeed

An-Det said:
If anyone lives in the area of Mesquite, TX, you should go to your local gamestop midnight release. Carmack just tweeted:

I'm going to be at the Mesquite, TX GameStop Monday night for the midnight Rage release if anyone wants to say hi.

John will also be providing complimentary rear naked chokes for anyone interested.

burgerdog

jett said:
I thought it was less than that. Apparently my brain blocked that particular experience. Anyway I've never broken the 20GB barrier.
Star Wars Forced Unleashed has a huge download size. I think it's 26gigs, the game sucked, too.

Effect

Wouldn't a more frequent auto save system basically screw you over in the end? Lets think about this for a moment. You are able to buy equipment, ammo, etc in the game. You take missions from various NPCs, travel to areas, and then go back. If you are to compare the game to something else you'd compare it to Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas or even more recently Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Manually saving and having multiple saves are a must. Save when you enter an area. Save when you are about to enter what you feel could be an ambush. After a big fight save right away as you don't know what can happen. If it takes you out of the game then so what. It's a game and maybe people should be reminded of that and frequently.

All a more frequent auto save will do is keep your place in the area. Which more then likely isn't going to matter if what got you killed in the first place is still a factor. I doubt you'll be picking up weapon after weapon dropped by enemies. Once you are out of a certain ammo type I would expect you'd be out of it until you head back to a town to buy more if the enemies you are fighting don't use it themselves.

The auto save is only a major problem I feel if you go into this game thinking it's a linear FPS instead of what it actually. It being an open world shooter. The open world being the key phrase. You need to think more along the lines of the recent Deus Ex and Fallout games and less Halo and Call of Duty. Then the auto save frequency makes sense I feel.

GrayFoxPL

Effect said:
Wouldn't a more frequent auto save system basically screw you over in the end? Lets think about this for a moment. You are able to buy equipment, ammo, etc in the game. You take missions from various NPCs, travel to areas, and then go back. If you are to compare the game to something else you'd compare it to Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas or even more recently Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Manually saving and having multiple saves are a must. Save when you enter an area. Save when you are about to enter what you feel could be an ambush. After a big fight save right away as you don't know what can happen. If it takes you out of the game then so what. It's a game and maybe people should be reminded of that and frequently.

All a more frequent auto save will do is keep your place in the area. Which more then likely isn't going to matter if what got you killed in the first place is a factor.

The auto save is only a major problem I feel if you go into this game thinking it's a straight linear FPS instead of what it actually. It being an open world FPS. The open world being the key phrase. You need to think more along the lines of the recent Deus Ex and Fallout games and less Halo and Call of Duty. Then the auto save frequency makes sense I feel.

Orange box PS3 didn't make a problem of it. Hold start for instant quicksave without pausing, checkpoints also had their saves. Simple and brilliant. Worked perfectly.

So hey, i was thinking...if my pc actually runs this half way decently when it unlocks am i going to be the only one who tries to walk the canyons/desert between each mission and not always use a buggy?

commissar

EvilDick34 said:
So hey, i was thinking...if my pc actually runs this half way decently when it unlocks am i going to be the only one who tries to walk the canyons/desert between each mission and not always use a buggy?
What will you do when set upon by men in buggies with rocket launchers?

commissar said:
What will you do when set upon by men in buggies with rocket launchers?

Hide, pray and if necessary, restart when i get killed? LOL.. besides i gotta imagine at some point i will have my rocket launcher and or bombs :D.

DaBuddaDa said:
It's starting to become clear that this game is going to get ripped to shreds by the gaming press. Nobody is hinting at enjoying it, everyone is hinting at it being terrible.

It won like 500 Game of the Show awards at E3 2010.

DarkChild

Banned
I'm afraid reviews could hurt this game...:(

EDIT.
Actually, maybe not :D
I think I'm getting close to the end of RAGE....I don't want it to end :(
Chris Carlson
My RAGE Review is sitting at 2,000+ words. Haven't even discussed the MP yet. Need sleep, I'll write more tomorrow ^_^

Solo

Steam question: can I pause a download, quit Steam, shut off my PC for the night and resume the D/L tomorrow? Normally I'd just let it run overnight, but I don't want one fucking game download to eat all my bandwidth if it resets again.

Metal-Geo

My RAGE folder in steamapps/common is still increasing in size though. So I'm gonna take the optimistic route here and tell myself it's an error on Steam's UI side.

Solo said:
Steam question: can I pause a download, quit Steam, shut off my PC for the night and resume the D/L tomorrow? Normally I'd just let it run overnight, but I don't want one fucking game download to eat all my bandwidth if it resets again.
Yes. Steam downloads the files individually and keeps track on what's done.

Top Bottom