• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Twinduct

Waat? Rage continued to pre-load through the night, even though I was getting the error before I went to bed.

Come to think of it, when right-clicking on rage, it said "pause pre-load" even though the window was open and sitting at 0% with the button "continue".

Perhaps there is an auto-retry system that's just not visually communicated?

None the less, about 60% done, yay!

Man

Pre-loading killed my game drive maybe.

Though Windows 8 dev preview more likely the reason...

Windows 7 Ultimate clean install coming up.

Twinduct

Man said:
Pre-loading killed my game drive maybe.

Though Windows 8 dev preview more likely the reason...

Windows 7 Ultimate clean install coming up.

Ouch, hopefully it's just a software fault.
Then again, have you been using Win8 as your everyday OS? Crazy mang!

spirity

You guys -surely- wouldn't be suggesting that because a website is given the exclusive first review, that website is going to give a high score in return for that exclusive?

Come on now. I'm a fan of conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but this is video game websites we're talking about here. Their integrity isn't bought.

Mastperf

spirity said:
You guys -surely- wouldn't be suggesting that because a website is given the exclusive first review, that website is going to give a high score in return for that exclusive?

Come on now. I'm a fan of conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but this is video game websites we're talking about here. Their integrity isn't bought.

You're right, I'm sorry.
IGN "What Nintendo can learn from the pre-loading of Rage."

Derrick01

Banned
Heh I'm expecting a 9 or 10 first review even more now that I just saw the summary on Arkham City's first review. They even went so far as to say it's one of the best games ever, which it may be but still it doesn't help the conspiracy talk out there.

DaBuddaDa

spirity said:
It isn't quite like that. The big websites will get review copies quite early and complete the review, then submit their score to the publisher. The publisher, based on the score and other various things, then will choose which sites they'll allow publish early. Of course, this results in almost always seeing 8.5s-10s for early review scores.

Grinchy

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
It isn't quite like that. The big websites will get review copies quite early and complete the review, then submit their score to the publisher. The publisher, based on the score and other various things, then will choose which sites they'll allow publish early. Of course, this results in almost always seeing 8.5s-10s for early review scores.
Doesn't that still mean a review site might want to submit a higher score for a better chance at the exclusive review?

DaBuddaDa

Grinchy said:
Doesn't that still mean a review site might want to submit a higher score for a better chance at the exclusive review?
There is a bit more to it than just that, but yes I imagine the higher the score the more likely they'll strike a deal. This is all from a post a while ago from someone who worked at a Unnamed Big Gaming Website.

zlatko

Banned
I expect this game to fall in the 8-8.5 category on average with the press. The things that will bring it down I bet will be people having a "been there done that" type of feel if they compare it with Fallout, and it'll probably receive some knocks for its multiplayer component.

DaBuddaDa

zlatko said:
I expect this game to fall in the 8-8.5 category on average with the press. The things that will bring it down I bet will be people having a "been there done that" type of feel if they compare it with Fallout, and it'll probably receive some knocks for its multiplayer component.
I think the major knock is going to be repetitive mission structures/lack of level variety. It seems like I haven't seen anything but: "Drive down a tunnel and zone into enemy hideout, kill everything, drive back to town and collect loot."

Solo

I just can't believe that we're now a mere 2 days away from the first id Software game in 7 FREAKING YEARS.

Mastperf

It seems like such an odd mixture of Borderlands and Fallout. I guess that's to be expected when you take so long to make a game.

Effect

For those that have played how well do characters react to your actions? If you completed a mission will random npcs still comment on it while you are still the area but several missions ahead? How populated are the settlements with NPCs?

Are you ever locked out of going back to areas once you are done?

How different are the various difficulties? Enemies just take more hits or does the number count increase? Does the game have waves of enemies that you have to force pass ala Call of Duty during missions or do they stop coming at a certain point allowing you to take your time in missions instead of rushing through them?

In general, without any details or spoilers, how is the story? Structured well? Not that important? Pulls you in?

Overall is the game worth the $60 price in terms of gameplay, story, content, graphics, length? To you of course as this is going to be different for each person.

zlatko said:

And Borderlands. I'm interested in Rage but from all the videos I've seen I definitely get the "been there, done that" feeling.

Bumhead

Banned
Mastperf said:
It seems like such an odd mixture of Borderlands and Fallout. I guess that's to be expected when you take so long to make a game.

Having played it at Eurogamer, my first overall reaction was that despite the obvious comparison to both of those games it didn't feel like either.

It has it's own identity, no doubt about that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
Kind of hilarious since Rage likely pre-dates both games.

The key difference being that the public at large have played Fallout 3 and Borderlands. :p There's no denying the similarities, but given Rage's protracted development cycle (~7 years at least) and id's seemingly clear vision for the game, I doubt the aforementioned games had much of an effect on its overall design.

JaseC

Stallion Free said:
So who is gonna try starting on the hardest difficulty here? Could someone with the game let us know how it is?

How many difficulty levels are there?

JaseC

Chinner said:
that (x360?) footage looked awesome, i need to get this game. anyone know if its cheap anywhere for the pc in uk?

No idea, but it can be had for ~$35 (~22.46 GBP) from CD key resellers.

54-46!

I get the feeling that same people who complain about this looking like Fallout or Borderlands are the same people who buy the new Call of Duty every single year.

54-46! said:
I get the feeling that same people who complain about this looking like Fallout or Borderlands are the same people who buy the new Call of Duty every single year.
Furthermore... unlike those three games you just mentioned, RAGE is actually fun to play.

Top Bottom