• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

eastmen

Banned
nel e nel said:
I concur with this assessment. The textures on RAGE do not hold a candle to Gears 3, but this is on 360, and specifically close up.

The draw distances and skybox are AMAZING - shit looks good from far away. But a rusty gas can right at your feet? blech.

What it lacks in environmental clarity, it makes up for in the character modeling in spades. I said elsewhere that it's almost the yin to Deus Ex's yang: superb character modeling and animation, not the greatest environment design.

It's very much like Borderlands as far as structure goes: go to location X, acquire item Y, return to me for reward Z.

The gameplay is tight though, great gunplay and the AI is pretty effing amazing.

wait till you see it on a highend pc. Best looking game i've played yet

Marcellus Wallace said:
I believe the pop in is prevalent in both console versions. Since you're playing on PS3 I might as well ask (as it's been asked before I'm sure), is aiming/shooting mapped to R1/L1 or R2/L2?
It's R1/L1. You know, I'm not even sure if the buttons can be remapped; I felt comfortable immediately with the default and never thought to change anything.

I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty(The highest available), and so far it's not that hard at all. I've died a couple of times, but that was more my fault than any frustrating game design. Enemies seem to take a lot of hits to go down, depending on the weapon and ammo equipped. The starting pistol is very weak, but the shottie is very meaty with nice feedback.

M.W.

nel e nel said:
I concur with this assessment. The textures on RAGE do not hold a candle to Gears 3, but this is on 360 (installed), and specifically close up.

The draw distances and skybox are AMAZING - shit looks good from far away. But a rusty gas can right at your feet? blech.

What it lacks in environmental clarity, it makes up for in the character modeling in spades. I said elsewhere that it's almost the yin to Deus Ex's yang: superb character modeling and animation, not the greatest environment design.

It's very much like Borderlands as far as structure goes: go to location X, acquire item Y, return to me for reward Z.

The gameplay is tight though, great gunplay and the AI is pretty effing amazing. Judging this game solely on graphics nitpicks would be a disservice.

Again, 30fps vs. 60fps. Textures have to take a hit somewhere. I'll take a better framerate anyday. But that's me.

Booshka

I'm liking what I am reading about the game so far. I have been saving up for a good gaming PC so I am holding off on pretty much all game purchases this Fall, except for Dark Souls, which is console exclusive anyway. But, when I get my PC going, this and Skyrim will be my first two pickups. Hope it does well, iD focusing on game performance (60 fps etc) and solid game mechanics over all else really deserves to be rewarded with lots of sales.

senahorse

Anyone from the US or UK, want to help a price gouged Aussie ($90 US here) get this game from Steam? Can paypal immediately.

fake edit: I know there is a steam gifts thread but this thread has a lot more activity :D

pakkit

Banned
It does not matter whether this game looks the best on the market or not. It's in the conversation, and the art style does a great job at adding some hyper detail to environmental areas that could've seemed rote otherwise (thanks to Borderlands/Red Steel 2).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
eastmen said:
wait till you see it on a highend pc. Best looking game i've played yet

The game uses the same textures across all platforms, so a high-end PC isn't going to alleviate his complaints.

JaseC

eastmen said:
The filtering really makes a diffrence

True, but his complaints aren't in regard to that. :p Unimpressive textures are still going to be unimpressive regardless of the filtering in place.

pakkit said:
It does not matter whether this game looks the best on the market or not. It's in the conversation, and the art style does a great job at adding some hyper detail to environmental areas that could've seemed rote otherwise (thanks to Borderlands/Red Steel 2).
I agree. The graphics are secondary; the smoothness of the gameplay really elevates Rage past most shooters in it's genre. I will say that if you did not like Borderlands then you might not like this; it's basically the same setup. Good thing I loved Borderlands! : )

eastmen

Banned
JaseC said:
True, but his complaints aren't in regard to that. :p Unimpressive textures are still going to be unimpressive regardless of the filtering in place.

mabye . I disagree however , filtering on the xbox 360/ps3 is horrible and makes the textures look muddy . On the pc they look much better

Hawk269

Does the PC version suffer from texture pop in or is that a console thing? I have a pretty beefy PC to run the game, but just wondering if it inherent to the engine of the platform.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

Eusis

Hawk269 said:
Does the PC version suffer from texture pop in or is that a console thing? I have a pretty beefy PC to run the game, but just wondering if it inherent to the engine of the platform.

I believe it still would going by UE3 games, just the least amount of texture pop in of the versions so long as you have a decent hard drive, or better yet an SSD. I'd hope it'd be nigh-imperceptible on that.

eastmen

Banned
Eusis said:
I believe it still would going by UE3 games, just the least amount of texture pop in of the versions so long as you have a decent hard drive, or better yet an SSD. I'd hope it'd be nigh-imperceptible on that.

played it installed on a vertex 2 and didn't really notice much texture pop . didn't have much time with it however

Gvaz

Banned
eastmen said:
mabye . I disagree however , filtering on the xbox 360/ps3 is horrible and makes the textures look muddy . On the pc they look much better
Unless the textures are The Witcher 2 in quality, they look like shit.

pottuvoi

Banned
charsace said:
You don't need GI to do day and night cycles. I'm sure Rage can do the fake GI that all games do.
They pre-rendered GI and lighting into every texel in a world..
This gives world a perfect shadows with variable penumbras, light bounces and so on.

The tech would be brilliant for adventure games and JRPGs.

Ywap

The PC version will be the one to have.

- Higher resolution
- Better filtering
- Anti Aliasing
- Better control device

- The "Super Quality Pack" probably won´t happen but it would be awesome :)

Hawk269 said:

At QuakeCon those that tried it said it did have texture pop-in and even Willits said that yes you'll notice it currently does but also that this is what they plan to address before its release (since they can work on it till the very last day since it uses SteamWorks) to make PCs use a 16k x 16k loaded texture (something Carmack has said as well), so that there's no pop-in since there is that amount of available memory on modern PCs and they can utilize it.

At that time they hinted that the PC already used 8k x 8k while the consoles use 4k x 4k.. now I don't know if they actually went ahead and implemented their 16k x 16k plan but at the very least it will be 8k x 8k probably..

eastmen said:

They won't be properly filtered anyway.. due to the megatextures they said they can do only up to 4x AF.

eastmen

Banned
angular graphics said:
They won't be properly filtered anyway.. due to the megatextures they said they can do only up to 4x AF.

alot of 360/ps3 games use bilinear filtering . So its still a step up.

Man

Quake 3 -> Doom 3 -> Rage

ID games are a seldom and rare treat. This will be great.

Pre-loading now. Also picking up a fully paid PS3 copy on release day.

NBtoaster

eastmen said:
alot of 360/ps3 games use bilinear filtering . So its still a step up.

I really doubt this game just has bilinear filtering, all the effort gone into the texture tech just to destroy the art with crap filtering?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
... Ah, fuck me, man. Preferably with something extra sharp and poisonous. Something came up and I won't be able to get this right now. My most wanted game this season and I absolutely cannot afford to spend the $60 at the moment, I'm going to have to wait this out for awhile. I was hoping to purchase it on Steam tomorrow morning and get my preload going while I was at work, but ... yeah. Urgh.

h8 life.

Wallach

Just woke up. Figured I'd try to start the RAGE pre-load finally. 0%. Click button. RAGE pre-load is complete. What?

File size is right. 21 GB. I don't know how, or why, but I don't care.

Now to hibernate until it unlocks.

JaseC

Wallach said:
Just woke up. Figured I'd try to start the RAGE pre-load finally. 0%. Click button. RAGE pre-load is complete. What?

File size is right. 21 GB. I don't know how, or why, but I don't care.

Now to hibernate until it unlocks.

You'll try to play the game on release and Steam will realise it hasn't actually downloaded any of the data. Or you have a 200Gbps internet connection. :p

Wallach

JaseC said:
You'll try to play the game on release and Steam will realise it hasn't actually downloaded any of the data. Or you have a 200Gbps internet connection. :p

Data size on disk is correct. What it means is that it was running pre-load before when it said it was not.

Solo

I don't really care when it unlocks. Working 8-5 every day during the week means I won't be playing it until 6 or 7 at night anyways.

Metal-Geo

So the textures may be the same on all platforms. But does this mean they also use the same picmip? Wouldn't be surprised if the PC allows a wider range. *crosses fingers*

JaseC

Wallach said:
Data size on disk is correct. What it means is that it was running pre-load before when it said it was not.

Perhaps, but I've had a game or two instantly complete only for Steam to realise its mistake when attempting to load them.

JaseC

DaBuddaDa said:
Try verifying integrity of game cache?

You did notice the past tense, right? ;) My point is, it's not beyond Steam for it to download "dummy data" and not realise this mistake until an attempt is made to load the game. In my case, I believe this most recently occurred with The Witcher 2, likely because Valve were in the process of improving the content delivery systems.

Wallach said:
You aren't able to on a pre-load.

Anyway I already verified manually that the files are there.

The more you know!

Wallach

I was told by someone elsewhere on the intertubes that if the Steam pane is left open it will start the pre-load automagically if nothing else interrupts it. I did not know this.

JaseC

Wallach said:
I was told by someone elsewhere on the intertubes that if the Steam pane is left open it will start the pre-load automagically if nothing else interrupts it. I did not know this.

How presumptuous. "I, Steam, noticed you're not doing anything, so I'm going to go ahead and begin the pre-load. Is this okay? Continue doing nothing if it's okay."

Top Bottom