• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

AEREC

Stallion Free said:
It did in the old days, but it will be interesting to see if they keep that here

It will be interesting to see if iD does add a twist on thier hardest difficulty...I beleive in Doom 3, on the hardest difficulty, you had constantly draining health and killing enemies replenished it.

Hopefully they have something like no manual quicksaving or something similar.

Suairyu

Banned
RAGE is just suffering from what every open world game post-GTA3 did for the longest time: unimaginative, ineloquent motherloves who see the game has both a) a post apocalyptic setting and b) guns and go "oh hey its just like borderlands abd/or fallout!)

RAGE: it's Twisted Metal meets Resident Evil: Apocalypse!

Edit: damnit people spell id's name right already.

Suairyu

Banned
This chinner = me meme has spread even to chinner himself. How long before he snaps and tries to kill me as a doppleganger?

Mastperf

54-46! said:
I get the feeling that same people who complain about this looking like Fallout or Borderlands are the same people who buy the new Call of Duty every single year.
I don't play cod. It's called the Wasteland and it's full of bandits and buggies. You would have to be ignorant to not see similarities.
? Narayan said:
Furthermore... unlike those three games you just mentioned, RAGE is actually fun to play.
Nah, Fallout was awesome and Borderlands was far from bad.

nel e nel

Effect said:
For those that have played how well do characters react to your actions? If you completed a mission will random npcs still comment on it while you are still the area but several missions ahead? How populated are the settlements with NPCs?

Are you ever locked out of going back to areas once you are done?

How different are the various difficulties? Enemies just take more hits or does the number count increase? Does the game have waves of enemies that you have to force pass ala Call of Duty during missions or do they stop coming at a certain point allowing you to take your time in missions instead of rushing through them?

In general, without any details or spoilers, how is the story? Structured well? Not that important? Pulls you in?

Overall is the game worth the $60 price in terms of gameplay, story, content, graphics, length? To you of course as this is going to be different for each person.

The characters really shine on this game so far. I'm only 2 hours into it and they are well voice acted and their animations are great. To answer your question more directly, yes they react to your actions and to what is going on around the world. When you go to finish a quest, you don't even need to prompt the mission giver, they just start talking when you approach: "Great job killing those bandits buddy! Here's the reward we talked about. Now, about those medical supplies we need..." Even non-mission related NPCs will have a line or two to say about your actions.

Haven't revisited areas much yet, but as I said, I'm still very early into the game. They very obviously lock off certain areas until you have acquired the mission to go into that 'dungeon'. Example: trying to drive to a barricaded area on your vehicle will result in you getting killed by missiles until you get a sniper to clear it out from afar.

Can't comment on the difficulty curves yet. I do have the Anarchy edition with all the bonus weapons (also - every new game comes with a bonus Legends of the Wasteland mission!) which I haven't DL'd yet because I didn't want to feel overpowered, and I'm playing on Hard. It's a good challenge without being frustrating. I'll probably use the bonus stuff for my nightmare run. Interesting note: my buddy did download the bonus weapons, and the only items available to him at the start were the spiked gloves and DBS.

Story is hard to say at this point. So far it's your basic 'We need supplies but those pesky bandits are in the way. No one around here is tough enough to take em down, how about you partner?' plot line. It's presentation is really cool though, it's linear and directed, but not hand holdy. I keep thinking of Portal 2 where they give you your final objective, but don't really give details about how to do it. I've gotten lost more than once trying to find the doorway that leads to then next section because there is no objective marker or directional arrow. Frustrating, yes, but it heightens that sense of discovery that is very satisfying.

Can't comment on dollar worth yet. No one is online to do MP races with yet, so I can't say how that part will pan out. As I said earlier the draw distance, skybox and character models are amazing, but some of the closeup textures are a bit disappointing in light of all the hype around this game.

spirity

Fallout 3, NV and Borderlands I enjoyed immensely. So any comparison made between those and Rage suits me just fine, whether accurate or not. I like open world games more than any other type, so I'm a tiny bit disappointed at hearing Rage doesn't have as much of an open world design as I'd hoped, but everything else more than makes up for it.

Still trying to decide if I should pick this up on Steam (kinda pissed the release date is the 7th, I'm not in Europe dammit). May need some further convincing. >_<

Wallach

Speaking of RAGE, someone on SA mentioned idTech 5 was using OpenGL 4.2. Now the GPU specs make more sense.

Also there's no fucking official drivers for either camp with OpenGL 4.2 support. SWEET.

Wallach

3chopl0x said:
There are some nvidia beta drivers for BF3 out at the moment that have 4.2 support?

Yeah, they both have beta drivers out, but they were both supposed to get them done before this game. AMD was in fact supposed to have some specific optimizations done for RAGE. Wonder if they'll pull through tomorrow.

Effect

nel e nel said:
The characters really shine on this game so far. I'm only 2 hours into it......

Thanks. Sounds like your standard reactions, when there are reactions, more recent games have given NPCs. Still like you said it's early and maybe there might be more later on. Story as well. I woudln't be surprised thinking about it if the story didn't start to get interesting until you came upon the Authority. How long it will take before that happens is what I wonder now. The lack of auto aim should make some of the harder difficulties challenging I think.

Tokubetsu

Wallach said:
Speaking of RAGE, someone on SA mentioned idTech 5 was using OpenGL 4.2. Now the GPU specs make more sense.

Also there's no fucking official drivers for either camp with OpenGL 4.2 support. SWEET.

Don't do this man, don't scare me.

zlatko

Banned
Is the review embargo up later tonight or tomorrow?

I'll be playing through on nightmare difficulty the first time because I HAVE BALLS OF STEEL.

Carnby

I'm happy to say that I never played Fallout 3 or Borderlands, so I will be going into Rage with nothing to compare it to.

I didn't have the time to play Fallout 3, and I could never take Borderlands serious. I can't unsee the penis on the cover art.

Wallach

zlatko said:
Is the review embargo up later tonight or tomorrow?

I'll be playing through on nightmare difficulty the first time because I HAVE BALLS OF STEEL.

I'm curious to see what Nightmare does in RAGE. It was fuckin' crazy in Doom 3 and you couldn't pick it from the start anwyay.

Edit - The embargo drops Tuesday btw. Supposedly one place has clearance to post review early tomorrow; assumed it is IGN but we don't know.

charsace

Carmack focused on the right tech; animation, streaming and AI. The hard on for textures and lighting has just been stupid IMO since we really don't have the tech to either as nice as some people would want it.

zlatko

Banned
Soviet said:
What if it'll be locked? :p

PC version---I'll h4x0rz that shit open. xD

I'm getting sick of this developer monkey shit that doesn't think I'm ready for the big leagues until I play through your game once. I rarely replay any game, so if it is locked here in Rage, then hard mode it is and whatevs to nightmare.

I WANT to crank the difficulty to max on any game when I start it off. I know what I'm getting myself into when I pick the hardest difficulty. If it becomes that much of a problem (no game this generation has), then I'd turn it down a notch.

The only reason developers lock that hardest difficulty up is to give this pseudo bull shit "replay value," when their game just might not be interesting enough to warrant a second run through. Some games do(Witcher 2 for me), but I like the full experience right out the gate. Why hold that from the player ? After you complete the game once, then the hardest difficulty automatically isn't as hard as you thought it would be for the player since they'll know what is coming for the entirety of the game.

Wallach

zlatko said:
PC version---I'll h4x0rz that shit open. xD

I'm getting sick of this developer monkey shit that doesn't think I'm ready for the big leagues until I play through your game once. I rarely replay any game, so if it is locked here in Rage, then hard mode it is and whatevs to nightmare.

I WANT to crank the difficulty to max on any game when I start it off. I know what I'm getting myself into when I pick the hardest difficulty. If it becomes that much of a problem (no game this generation has), then I'd turn it down a notch.

The only reason developers lock that hardest difficulty up is to give this pseudo bull shit "replay value," when their game just might not be interesting enough to warrant a second run through. Some games do(Witcher 2 for me), but I like the full experience right out the gate. Why hold that from the player ? After you complete the game once, then the hardest difficulty automatically isn't as hard as you thought it would be for the player since they'll know what is coming for the entirety of the game.

I dunno man, if they do it like Doom 3 I wouldn't play that way the first time. It wasn't just harder, it was a completely different game design.

Man

Interesting if Rage is using OpenGL 4.2 (which in itself is very recent, released last month). ID still fighting for open standards?

I was sure Rage was DX9.

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:
I dunno man, if they do it like Doom 3 I wouldn't play that way the first time. It wasn't just harder, it was a completely different game design.

Balls
of
Steel

I'd be all over it right out the gate. I'm one of the nutties who has actually been playing Witcher 2 on insane and am almost completely done with Act 1. That game erases your save if you die. I'm just seeing how far I can get and only put in time here and there into it, but I also refuse to game the system by making back up saves either.

Wallach

zlatko said:
I'd be all over it right out the gate. I'm one of the nutties who has actually been playing Witcher 2 on insane and am almost completely done with Act 1. That game erases your save if you die. I'm just seeing how far I can get and only put in time here and there into it, but I also refuse to game the system by making back up saves either.

You did that for your first playthrough? Or you're playing Insane now that you've beaten it before?

nel e nel

Effect said:
Thanks. Sounds like your standard reactions, when there are reactions, more recent games have given NPCs. Still like you said it's early and maybe there might be more later on. Story as well. I woudln't be surprised thinking about it if the story didn't start to get interesting until you came upon the Authority. How long it will take before that happens is what I wonder now. The lack of auto aim should make some of the harder difficulties challenging I think.

Yeah, the story is revealing itself very slowly right now. I'm basically just past all the intro/tutorial stuff and have only just gotten to the town of Wellspring that's been in all the demo videos.

Like I said, it's very reminiscent of the Portal games where they telegraph just enough information to let you know where you're at and what the world is, but plotwise it's still a bit of a mystery. I think the only thing I'm kinda 'missing' right now are some form of texts that would flesh out the world more a la Deus Ex emails/ebooks/secretaries.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Can't wait to find the secret rooms the id guys threw in the game. Should be fun to see some Wolf3d and Doom elements in the wasteland.

eshwaaz

luxarific said:
Just bought it. Hope it's more like FO3 than Borderlands.
It doesn't appear to play like either. Neither of the games you mentioned focused on refined gunplay. Borderlands was about loot and co-op, and had mediocre combat. Fallout 3 focused on being an RPG, and had terrible real-time gunplay. I'm admittedly only judging from videos, but Rage looks far better in that respect than those two.

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:
You did that for your first playthrough? Or you're playing Insane now that you've beaten it before?

First play through. I then started another file to go through the game on hard as I was hooked on its story elements. The prologue isn't too bad on insane, but the actual Act 1 portions required me to do the tactic of running away for dear life if I was ever struck even once in combat, and at all times I had Quan/Quad(forgot the spelling) up. You have to do a lot of grinding on nekkars out in the forest and slowly work your way out into the forest bit by bit, and it's a good idea to get the side quests that don't require combat out of the way ASAP to help level a little quicker.

But yeah, that's a bit off topic. :p I enjoy being challenged on my first go at a game. I'm always pleased when games let me try the hardest difficulty right from the get go. It's a shame RAGE might not then. :(

Wallach

zlatko said:
First play through. I then started another file to go through the game on hard as I was hooked on its story elements. The prologue isn't too bad on insane, but the actual Act 1 portions required me to do the tactic of running away for dear life if I was ever struck even once in combat, and at all times I had Quan/Quad(forgot the spelling) up. You have to do a lot of grinding on nekkars out in the forest and slowly work your way out into the forest bit by bit, and it's a good idea to get the side quests that don't require combat out of the way ASAP to help level a little quicker.

But yeah, that's a bit off topic. :p I enjoy being challenged on my first go at a game. I'm always pleased when games let me try the hardest difficulty right from the get go. It's a shame RAGE might not then. :(

I think RAGE actually does have Nightmare unlocked from the start. I was just saying, much like how TW2 changes the rules away from the original game design on the top end, so did Doom 3. It's not so much of just a difficulty hike as it is a different style of game altogether. I'm sure it's totally doable to do on your first run (even Doom 3's would have been), but they are designed with the idea that you will already know what is going on before starting. If RAGE's Nightmare mode is anything like Doom 3's it'll be the same way. If it's more like Doom/Doom 2 it wouldn't be that way really.

Wallach

Tain said:
Is this game built around save-anywhere? Curious about the checkpoint structure.

It is. The autosaves only trigger upon changing zones, I think. What constitutes zone separation exactly I don't really know.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mastperf said:
Nah, Fallout was awesome and Borderlands was far from bad.
Fallout, sure. Borderlands, though? So boring. The *only* reason I even played that game was because, for a while, the only gaming capable device I had was a netbook (and an iPhone but iOS gaming is a wasteland) and OnLive had just come out so I figured I would give it a try and used Borderlands as my initial OL purchase.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
luxarific said:
Just bought it. Hope it's more like FO3 than Borderlands.
IT'S NOT AN RPG

Do you guys not know how to read or something?

nel e nel

Wallach said:
It is. The autosaves only trigger upon changing zones, I think. What constitutes zone separation exactly I don't really know.

More specifically, it saves when you transition from the open world to a dungeon and vice versa.

In fact, right after the defibrillator tutorial there is an ingame message that plainly states that the wasteland is a dangerous place so save often.

Which makes the complaints about the auto-save system even more ridiculous because the game flat out tells you to save manually. Often.

Top Bottom