• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

commissar

Except that id themselves seemed to show it off as being extremely detailed with the original showing of wellspring.

Remember the footage with the fly?
Gave the wrong message about megatextures entirely.

It's pretty easy to understand why people don't get it.

Zimbardo

JaseC said:
Never heard of it myself. Personally, I'd avoid unfamiliar websites.

Depends on the game. GfWL keys you'd activate and download through GfWL, Origin keys through Origin, Steamworks keys through Steam, and so on.

you can activate GFWL keys somehow on Microsoft's platform?

never heard of that. have you tried it?

i would figure with those keys you'd probably have to torrent the game and then drop in the legit key.

JaseC said:
Yeah, someone in the Steam thread was sent a used key by G2Play. He did receive a new one after some back-and-forth, though.

Yeah but the one guy that said "Do not buy from G2play" says he's had multiple used keys, so hum, it's guess it's hit and miss.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zimbardo said:
you can activate GFWL keys somehow on Microsoft's platform?

never heard of that. have you tried it?

i would figure with those keys you'd probably have to torrent the game and then drop in the legit key.

Yeah, sorry. GfWL keys you'd use in the very same fashion you'd use a retail GfWL game purchased of your own accord.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Yeah but the one guy that said "Do not buy from G2play" says he's had multiple used keys, so hum, it's guess it's hit and miss.

Indeed. Like I said, they have a "murky reputation". :p I avoid them where possible, but the keys I've purchased have all been fine. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

A little sample from Google:

As I am writing this I have come the conclusion the G2PLAY.NET is very dishonest. I was given many keys, all of which we're already used by many people, one linked to TONS of bans, another one that had been used in several different countries. I know have a couple keys linked to me that really didn't want and I've resorted to getting a refund so I can buy the actual game so I know I get a fresh key.

Chesskid1

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
Well I was looking at IntKeys who I heard were pretty good, but someone posted in their support chat about a site called yuplay.ru. It's a Russian site, but it comes out at about $16 for RAGE...might be too risky though.

lol so tempted to buy some disposable visa from wal-greens and let it ride. don't want to risk my steam account though so i won't.

Zimbardo

while those cdkey sites are pretty damn tempting, i think i'll have to play it safe and stick to legit known sources.

i don't want to chance my game getting disabled, and i definitely don't want to do the VPN business. i read on the Steam forums that could get your account disabled.

too risky for me.

An other sample:

G2Play is an online retailer of game CD Keys, numerous Overclockers members had good experiences with them so I decided to buy Modern Warfare 2 from them for the oh so reasonable price of £27 on release day (It went up to £40 some hours later).

First of all, the site went down, so it took several hours to get in contact with them after my payment failed because of their downtime. When I eventually got in touch, they told me that they had no keys yet and expected them within a few hours.

So I told them to cancel my order so I could buy it elsewhere, and about 8 hours later received an email saying here is your key (No refund, not even acknowledgement of my email).

Next up I put the key into Steam, perfect ! Game installs and I'm online eventually. Played for about a week perfect.

Last night I go onto Steam and multi-player is gone, and single player simply says pre-loaded, with the option to buy it, NOT play it.

So I email steam, and this morning they reply with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Support
Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Your Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Key has been purchased from an unauthorized re-seller of Steam CD Keys. Your CD Key has been revoked. Please do not complete any purchases with this vendor. Only CD Keys included with retail copies or purchased from authorized retailers will be allowed. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.
So now I'm £27 out of pocket, and because I used MoneyBookers I can't perform a charge back (My fault admittedly).

Sethos

Banned
I always use G2Play, bought several ( Steam ) keys and WoW Game-time. Almost instant delivery and they never failed me.

Sethos said:
Or perhaps you're just very unlucky. Doesn't have to be luck for it to work as intended.

I've never used this, the two quotes above are from two separate guys, risking a ban on Steam or not being able to use keys should be a good enough reason not to do this, but hey some like to live dangerously :D

MedIC86

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
G2Play is an online retailer of game CD Keys, numerous Overclockers members had good experiences with them so I decided to buy Modern Warfare 2 from them for the oh so reasonable price of £27 on release day (It went up to £40 some hours later).

I thought it was quiet common knowledge that IW/MW bans keys from the "grey" zone, this is not the case with most other games.

JaseC

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
An other sample:

First of all, the site went down, so it took several hours to get in contact with them after my payment failed because of their downtime. When I eventually got in touch, they told me that they had no keys yet and expected them within a few hours.

So I told them to cancel my order so I could buy it elsewhere, and about 8 hours later received an email saying here is your key (No refund, not even acknowledgement of my email).

Next up I put the key into Steam, perfect ! Game installs and I'm online eventually. Played for about a week perfect.

Last night I go onto Steam and multi-player is gone, and single player simply says pre-loaded, with the option to buy it, NOT play it.

So I email steam, and this morning they reply with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Support
Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Your Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Key has been purchased from an unauthorized re-seller of Steam CD Keys. Your CD Key has been revoked. Please do not complete any purchases with this vendor. Only CD Keys included with retail copies or purchased from authorized retailers will be allowed. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.
So now I'm £27 out of pocket, and because I used MoneyBookers I can't perform a charge back (My fault admittedly).

To be fair, Activision requested that Valve remove the game from the accounts of those who source their key internationally (not all such accounts had the game removed, however). This is something that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't happened since.

Gav47

The MW2 thing hit almost all CD key sites, not just G2Play. Some people theorised that it was Activision that pushed Valve to revoke the keys. I have bought keys from plenty of sites like these and never had a problem, I just don't buy Russian locked keys, just too much hassle.

JaseC said:
To be fair, Activision requested that Valve remove the game from the accounts of those who source their key internationally
Was it confirmed that Activision asked Valve to do that? I remember the shitstorm at a forum I used to visit, never see any official word on it though.

InertiaXr

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
risking a ban on Steam

This has never happened in any situation closely or vaguely resembling anything regarding CD keys and 'unauthorized re-sellers' or whatever Valve/Steam says.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
not being able to use keys

The guy above me is correct, the one time Valve/Steam banned anybody is when they did all those Modern Warfare keys because Activision/whoever lords over CoD wanted them to. There would be absolutely no reason for Valve to ever ban anybody using 'unauthorized re-seller' keys out of their own initiative because all it does is bring more customers to Steam and more people seeing the store page every day.

I'd say buying from that site is probably a decent idea considering it's only $16 apparently, there isn't any precedent for anybody besides Activision crying about it and I think at the very worst you would get it revoked a week or more after release, in which case you would probably have already beaten a 8-10 hour corridor shooter if you are so hyped for it you need it at release.

This just makes it all the more comical they want $60 for this at release on Steam if it's available for $16 elsewhere, let alone whatever it drops to by Steam Sale time, $20-25?

Sethos

Banned
Now that you mention it, every time people has something negative to say about key selling site, a Call of Duty game is always involved.

JaseC

InertiaXr said:
The guy above me is correct, the one time Valve/Steam banned anybody is when they did all those Modern Warfare keys because Activision/whoever lords over CoD wanted them to. There would be absolutely no reason for Valve to ever ban anybody using 'unauthorized re-seller' keys out of their own initiative because all it does is bring more customers to Steam and more people seeing the store page every day.

I'd say buying from that site is probably a decent idea considering it's only $16 apparently, there isn't any precedent for anybody besides Activision crying about it and I think at the very worst you would get it revoked a week or more after release, in which case you would probably have already beaten a 8-10 hour corridor shooter if you are so hyped for it you need it at release.

This just makes it all the more comical they want $60 for this at release on Steam if it's available for $16 elsewhere, let alone whatever it drops to by Steam Sale time, $20-25?

Nobody was banned, just the game removed from many/most of the transgressed accounts. Even when Valve went crazy and cracked down on international Orange Box keys accounts weren't banned.

Gav47 said:
Was it confirmed that Activision asked Valve to do that? I remember the shitstorm at a forum I used to visit, never see any official word on it though.

I don't think it was ever confirmed, but, really, is there any doubt when MW2 is the only third-party game to be involved in such a debacle?

Chesskid1 said:
lol so tempted to buy some disposable visa from wal-greens and let it ride. don't want to risk my steam account though so i won't.

I think the biggest worry is simply giving my debit card information to an unproven Russian site. Isn't there a way to create a 'virtual' credit/debit card, so that they don't get your real info?

Sethos

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
I think the biggest worry is simply giving my debit card information to an unproven Russian site. Isn't there a way to create a 'virtual' credit/debit card, so that they don't get your real info?

Most of them take PayPal, so that's pretty much the safeguard.

JaseC

Sutton Dagger said:

I used Entropay for my international PSN accounts prior to Sony region-locking such purchases, but as mentioned above, PayPal is common.

dyergram

Just went to pre order this on shopto and its unavailable...Weird. Any suggestions for a good place to get this in the uk I like shopto they get me stuff the day before it comes out...

Ningo

I ordered on G2Play earlier today, it was a pain in the ass but got there eventually.

Requested I scan or take photo of ID and send it to them.

First I tried just sending a screenshot of their debit from my bank account, no luck.

Then I took a photo of my Uni student ID which is only useful for borrowing from the library.

They requested I retake the photo because the expiry date wasn't showing, the fuck.

So I said if what I've supplied isn't good enough, cancel my order and give me a refund i'll go elsewhere.

10 seconds later, "your order has been confirmed"

Key isn't due till like the 7th though.

Solo

I never have used a vacation day for gaming, and I never will, but my company has 1 mickey mouse "mental health" bonus day we get to take each year, and I'm taking mine tomorrow. That's right, on my mental health day, I will be Raging :lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm, this intkeys.com deal, what's the chance of it disappearing when rage is out? I mean how long is the price gonna be at 30ish usd? Because it doesn't look like it's a sale or deal per se.

JohngPR said:
360 or PS3, 360 or PS3?

Dammit I need to decide before the pre-order window is up on Amazon!

I thought the Anarchy Edition is just basically all first print copies of Rage anyways?
If so, just wait for Digital Foundry

Metal-Geo

Solo said:
It shouldn't, as that would be a RAM issue.
It's still up to the engine to decide when to load the desired stuff though. Even if you have fast and enough RAM, stuff won't get loaded unless the engine says so.

The question is, how flexible is id Tech 5? And will we have the liberty to make our custom autoexec.cfg again?

Gav47

Corky said:
Hmm, this intkeys.com deal, what's the chance of it disappearing when rage is out? I mean how long is the price gonna be at 30ish usd? Because it doesn't look like it's a sale or deal per se.
It shouldn't change too much, it may fluctuate by a few dollars but nothing major. They say that they will price match on their About Us page as well.

JohngPR

AgentOtaku said:
I thought the Anarchy Edition is just basically all first print copies of Rage anyways?
If so, just wait for Digital Foundry

I was wanting to get the $10 pre-order credit from Amazon. :(

JohngPR said:
I was wanting to get the $10 pre-order credit from Amazon. :(

It's $10 man.
Just wait and see a face-off, that way you buy the version you're happy with and not potentially rebuying another sku down the road.
Given how much time the press have seemingly had with Rage, i'm confident a face-off will be going up within this week.

Even if the 360 version's LOD textures are a hair better, I'd still go with PS3 due to controller preference and one Blu-ray

Corky

Gav47 said:
It shouldn't change too much, it may fluctuate by a few dollars but nothing major. They say that they will price match on their About Us page as well.

thanks buddy :), I'm superstrapped for cash and it would be nice if I could buy the game for 30 dollars in a month or so and not have to shell out 50-60.

alba

Little is the new Big
Corky said:
thanks buddy :), I'm superstrapped for cash and it would be nice if I could buy the game for 30 dollars in a month or so and not have to shell out 50-60.

Man this is becoming scarier by the minute, I just got my order there lol xD

JohngPR

AgentOtaku said:
It's $10 man.
Just wait and see a face-off, that way you buy the version you're happy with and not potentially rebuying another sku down the road.
Given how much time the press have seemingly had with Rage, i'm confident a face-off will be going up within this week.

Even if the 360 version's LOD textures are a hair better, I'd still go with PS3 due to controller preference and one Blu-ray

Yea, that's kind of my thought. Even if the texture loading difference between 360 and PS3 is nominal, I wouldn't mind.

By coincidence, I have vacation this week so I'd like to get it tomorrow since I know I'll have time to play it.

Hmm, it looks like amazon.co.uk cancelled my Rage AE order or something...

The pre-order confirmation sits in my inbox, but the site doesn't show anything.

JohngPR

I went with the PS3 version, that way I'll get my $10 credit.

I can live with the textures loading a little slower if it means I don't have to install 22 gigs of game on my 360. If it turns out that it's THAT much worse, I guess I can ask for a return and more than likely keep my $10 credit.

I honestly don't think the differences are going to be THAT huge between the two.

Rage for $39.99 (thanks Gears of War pre-order credit!). Can't complain about that. :)

FrankT

FleckSplat said:
If you have space on your 360 drive to install, 360. If not, PS3 (mandatory ~7GB install).

Definitely this based on all from all the hands on stuff so far. Install first two discs and worry about the multi when the time comes. What I'm doing tonight anyways.

Corky said:
The current USD --> SEK exchange rates are making me not think about this as hard as I should. I'm going "well $30 is nice but here I can get it for 350:-, who cares!" when in reality, future me will be three beers short when he's out and about.

At least I'll get a nice coaster to go along with the game. And an empty DVD-case.

JohngPR said:
I went with the PS3 version, that way I'll get my $10 credit.

I can live with the textures loading a little slower if it means I don't have to install 22 gigs of game on my 360. If it turns out that it's THAT much worse, I guess I can ask for a return and more than likely keep my $10 credit.

I honestly don't think the differences are going to be THAT huge between the two.

Rage for $39.99 (thanks Gears of War pre-order credit!). Can't complain about that. :)

You can install the dvd's one at a time, no need to install the three of them together. Having said that, I'd also go with the $10 cheaper one.

Soviet

Banned
bodine1231 said:
Will going from 4gb ram to 8gb make a difference in this game given the whole megatexture thing?
Nope. Megatexture thing is, among other things, about not needing lots of RAM.

Corky

Danne-Danger said:
The current USD --> SEK exchange rates are making me not think about this as hard as I should. I'm going "well $30 is nice but here I can get it for 350:-, who cares!" when in reality, future me will be three beers short when he's out and about.

At least I'll get a nice coaster to go along with the game. And an empty DVD-case.

Well yeah that's what's tearing me apart
Lisa
, Rage for almost 200kr? Yes please, *moth flies out of pocket* :( okay.jpeg

FGMPR

Banned
bodine1231 said:
Will going from 4gb ram to 8gb make a difference in this game given the whole megatexture thing?

I'm no expert, but considering the game was optimized to run on machines with 512megs of RAM, I'd doubt it.

Prodigal

Banned
So are any of you guys gonna actually try one of these key sites? I'm willing to take a gamble with my cash but I wanna see someone else do it first. :p

Top Bottom