• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

I have as much hope in this game as I had in Brink, so I'll be waiting until the first reviews show up before I buy it. Can be good, but can be totally bad either, and since Brink was such a terrible coop game with the same high expectations as Rage, I'm better waiting on the safe side.

*grumble grumble* Brink is far better than people give it credit for, but this is not the thread *grumble*

I'm really curious to check out this multiplayer. Any direct feed vids, or are we just going off cam footage?

Salsa

Pylon_Trooper said:
*grumble grumble* Brink is far better than people give it credit for, but this is not the thread *grumble*

I'm really curious to check out this multiplayer. Any direct feed vids, or are we just going off cam footage?

just cam footage yet apparently

Grayman

When I still had connection problems after the save Brink patch I forgot to ever play again. whoops.

Maybe id studio will have Brink compatibility to export some new maps over to that game. Last time I checked there were no tools for Brink which it really needed for a healthy community.

Grinchy

Banned
My first time playing HL2 was on xbox :(

At the time it seemed awesome and I could put up with that stuff because it was either that or I didn't get to play HL2. But yeah...anyone else like me should really do themselves a favor and play the PC version now.

SalsaShark said:
Except for the fact that Brink was made by a completely different team of people?
Sure, but they both got the same publisher. Bethesda fooled me once, shame on them, but they sure as hell won't fool me twice.

Who knows if id can deliver what they promise? The only id game I've played in this generation was Wolfenstein, and that wasn't very good either.

Wallach

vodka-bull said:
Sure, but they both got the same publisher. Bethesda fooled me once, shame on them, but they sure as hell won't fool me twice.

Who knows if id can deliver what they promise? The only id game I've played in this generation was Wolfenstein, and that wasn't very good either.

If you're talking about the 2009 Wolfenstein, that wasn't made by id Software either.

Wallach

vodka-bull said:
Weren't they co-producing it together with Raven? If not, my bad.

There are like four studios credited with co-development on it. id Software was involved, but mostly only on the technical side since Raven was using idTech 4. Neither Raven or id worked on the multiplayer, that was handed off to some other studio.

dmshaposv

ArachosiA 78 said:
I think this is because the game has been in development for 6 years. 6 years ago when they originally had these ideas they would have been fresh. But because they took far too long to develop Rage, every other developer has beaten them to the punch.

I know man. But these ideas weren't even fresh 6 years ago to begin with - in 2005/2006 we had FPS that had car racing, missions, cool characters, streamlined rpg mechanics, e.t.c.

Still it is an id fucking software game. I expect the polish on this game to be unmatchable.

Wallach said:
There are like four studios credited with co-development on it. id Software was involved, but mostly only on the technical side since Raven was using idTech 4. Neither Raven or id worked on the multiplayer, that was handed off to some other studio.
Then it's even more of a lottery game since I haven't played any game made by them at all. And you guys want me to hop on the hype train and buy it day 1?

Is there going to be a demo?

NBtoaster

vodka-bull said:
Then it's even more of a lottery game since I haven't played any game made by them at all. And you guys want me to hop on the hype train and buy it day 1?

Is there going to be a demo?

What, no game at all? D: No Doom? Quake?

NBtoaster

Doom was on N64. And even GBA :p

And all their games have been worth the hype to me. They had some developer diaries a while back that gave me a really great impression of this game will be too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NBtoaster said:
Doom was on N64. And even GBA :p

And all their games have been worth the hype to me. They had some developer diaries a while back that gave me a really great impression of this game will be too.

SNES, too. The N64 also had Quake and Quake II.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't wait to grab the PC version when I can get it for around $40. This game just keeps looking better and better. I was skeptical of the car combat at first, but now I wonder if I'd give a shit about the game if it were just another shooter.

I played a very small chunk of the game at the Eurogamer Expo.

It certainly feels like a pc game. I was playing on console and it was just bland at best. No weight to the guns or movement. The driving was just pitiful. The guns didn't feel meaty; the wingstick seemed far too powerful.

I'm hoping that this was a terrible demo. A technical achievement but a poor poor game.

dr_rus

Oops, sorry!
An error was encountered while processing your request:
This item is currently unavailable in your region
Oops, sorry, Bethesda!
My money is currently unavailable in your region.

codhand

vodka-bull said:
I have as much hope in this game as I had in Brink

apcdn-39435.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
angular graphics said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436hy7UjTQo

03:05 -> right after the intro "cutscene" with the Gman, right before the player gains control there is a completely immersion breaking extra loading screen.

:p
The initial load is very long, but I'm impressed with how fast the mid-game level loading is. Ok, by today's standards, it's actually pretty lengthy, but on a 2004 PC, the loading times were much slower than what we see here. There's also no stuttering, which was very common on the PC back then (with Source engine games). Considering the hardware, it's an impressive port.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I haven't been this excited in a long time. At least not for a new IP. I have seen little but my hype is definitely high.

And for once, the PS3 actually looks to be better (1 disc mainly) then 360. Or at least as good. Going PC for this unless my friends push me to get it on PS3.

DieH@rd said:
Digital Foundry face-off will be glorious. Cant wait to play it.

Same for BF3, even the beta. LOL, you know you're a tech junkie when you look forward to such things.

Anyways, pretty hyped for Rage. Very unique and excellent graphics. Seems like a slight change of pace from run of the mill FPS too, which I'm craving.

Dyno

It has been too, too, too long since we had an ID game to play! Praise Radio-Active Jesus!!!

The only bone I have to pick is the release date. Rage, Dark Souls, and Twisted Metal are coming out on the same day. That is just stupid. Both Rage Twisted Metal have been in development for more than half a decade. Why do these two companies need to play chicken for sales? This was a long, hot, dry summer for games. There wasn't much of anything. Now there will be this ridiculous glut. If this game or any of the others mentioned above don't get the sales they want they really have no one but themselves to blame.

-PXG-

I went from having no interest to being really close to getting this day one. If I wasn't occupied with Gears, I'd have this puppy pre-ordered. I'm definitely getting this though. It looks fantastic.

Tokubetsu

Dyno said:
It has been too, too, too long since we had an ID game to play! Praise Radio-Active Jesus!!!

The only bone I have to pick is the release date. Rage, Dark Souls, and Twisted Metal are coming out on the same day. That is just stupid. Both Rage Twisted Metal have been in development for more than half a decade. Why do these two companies need to play chicken for sales? This was a long, hot, dry summer for games. There wasn't much of anything. Now there will be this ridiculous glut. If this game or any of the others mentioned above don't get the sales they want they really have no one but themselves to blame.

Twisted Metal is coming out next year, on Valentine's Day.
http://www.giantbomb.com/celebrate-twisted-metals-release-date-with-this-trailer/17-4770/

They announced that quite awhile ago. There's still BF3, CoD:MW3, Batman, and AC: Revelations all within six weeks of each other though. Those are just the big, big name ones.

Derrick01

Banned
Dyno said:

Twisted Metal was pushed back to February, at least in NA. I imagine it would be a worldwide delay but I don't know for sure. And Dark Souls is a really niche game, Rage has a good chance of outselling it.

Feindflug

LiquidMetal14 said:
I haven't been this excited in a long time. At least not for a new IP. I have seen little but my hype is definitely high.

And for once, the PS3 actually looks to be better (1 disc mainly) then 360. Or at least as good. Going PC for this unless my friends push me to get it on PS3.

Could you be more specific? because AFAIK both versions supposedly are pretty much identical with the 360 version having a slight advantage at LOD when installed in the HDD.

And yeah the game looks really interesting, already have my Anarchy Edition pre-ordered from zavvi. :)

DarkChild

Banned
specialguy said:
Same for BF3, even the beta. LOL, you know you're a tech junkie when you look forward to such things.

Anyways, pretty hyped for Rage. Very unique and excellent graphics. Seems like a slight change of pace from run of the mill FPS too, which I'm craving.
With release of Gears 3 DF season started, they are going to have their hands full till Christmas. RAGE and Crysis 1 on Oct. 4th,Forza 4, UC3, Battlefield 3 and MW3 right after them...there will probably be a couple tech interviews and "making offs" since there was never before so much tech impressive games coming out in short amount of tim.

Top Bottom