• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

DaBuddaDa

Dyno said:
The only bone I have to pick is the release date. Rage, Dark Souls, and Twisted Metal are coming out on the same day. That is just stupid. Both Rage Twisted Metal have been in development for more than half a decade. Why do these two companies need to play chicken for sales? This was a long, hot, dry summer for games. There wasn't much of anything. Now there will be this ridiculous glut. If this game or any of the others mentioned above don't get the sales they want they really have no one but themselves to blame.
Releasing games close to one another during the holiday season is absolutely fine. People buy by far the most amount of games in October/November/December and their proximity to each other makes a negligible difference and is beyond made up for by holiday shopping. Not everyone is buying these games day 1 to play on day 1 this time of year. Video game products sell more if they're released around the holiday shopping season, absolute proven fact.

The only time I could see games costing sales numbers due to their release dates is if two niche, hardcore games both come out on the same day with a similar audience in a slow time of year like May or June.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Feindflug said:
Could you be more specific? because AFAIK both versions supposedly are pretty much identical with the 360 version having a slight advantage at LOD when installed in the HDD.

And yeah the game looks really interesting, already have my Anarchy Edition pre-ordered from zavvi. :)
That small technical bit (until a DF analysis) does not outweigh 1 disc and better textures (or at least the advantage of BRD). Either way, if both are identical I see no reason to not buy it on PS3. Also, PC, I said it already so I will not explain it again.

Dyno

Derrick01 said:
Twisted Metal was pushed back to February, at least in NA. I imagine it would be a worldwide delay but I don't know for sure. And Dark Souls is a really niche game, Rage has a good chance of outselling it.

Okay I have less of a bone to pick then because I saw TM and Rage is competing for the same audience. Yah Dark Souls and Rage are way different. I'm getting both for sure and switching between them will be a nice mix of gaming.

That said I have a week to play the shit out of Gears 3. Sigh. The game deserves more justic than that.

TheExodu5

Banned
I know nothing about this game, and I want to keep it that way until release.

I have no hype for this whatsoever, so hopefully I am pleasantly surprised. I'm mainly buying this out of respect fo Carmack and to support id's PC game development.

Deadbeat

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm mainly buying this out of respect fo Carmack and to support id's PC game development.
Out of all the games to buy to support PC game development, you pick the console port? This game isnt even getting proper settings in the menu. There is no respect for the PC platform here.

I simply want to throw scythes into varmints. Soften them up with a classic id pepperbox and dust them with a thrown blade through the frontal lobe. It just looks so...ahem, at the risk of sounding like an industry marketeer...visceral.

Daigoro

Deadbeat said:
Out of all the games to buy to support PC game development, you pick the console port? This game isnt even getting proper settings in the menu. There is no respect for the PC platform here.

what was that about another Brink?

no agenda here folks! move along.

Daigoro said:

I saw that comment and bit my tongue!

All the Brink hate. I still play that damn rough diamond every week, and it's glorious. Just needs a few good expansions.

The_Monk

Nicely made thread Salsa, congrats.

As for me I'm very curious about the game, apart for the Multiplayer. This can be a great SP experience and I hope to get this but not right now.

Too many games coming and I've made my list. 2012 it is, for me. Hope the game is good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deadbeat said:
What, like Crysis 2 when it was first released? That's still one of the finest looking games on the entire PC platform. If it's a console port so be it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Deadbeat said:

Like I said, I really don't know much about the game. Maybe I'll just wait for impressions and return it if it's bad. I had a pre-order on it for $40 due to an E3 promotion from FutureShop.

It's not like I won't have Dark Souls to play on October 4th, anyways.

Feindflug

LiquidMetal14 said:
That small technical bit (until a DF analysis) does not outweigh 1 disc and better textures (or at least the advantage of BRD). Either way, if both are identical I see no reason to not buy it on PS3. Also, PC, I said it already so I will not explain it again.

I remember reading it a while back but is there any confirmation on that?

Anyway we'll have the DF face-off analysis in a few weeks so I guess there's no point arguing which console version is better right now...either way the game looks and runs great in both systems.

EagleEyes

LiquidMetal14 said:
Sorry but the better controller for shooters far ouweighs having it on one disc. And last we heard the 360 version installed was the superior console version. We will just have to wait as you said for the DF analysis to see if anything has changed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TheExodu5 said:
I know nothing about this game, and I want to keep it that way until release.

I have no hype for this whatsoever, so hopefully I am pleasantly surprised. I'm mainly buying this out of respect fo Carmack and to support id's PC game development.

Ditto.

EagleEyes said:
Sorry but the better controller for shooters
That's purely subjective. I prefer the DS3 over the 360 controller for shooters, and from previous threads on the topic it's not uncommon.

I'm getting for PC, but had a go of the 360 version last week at Eurogamer and damn it looks and plays nicely on 360. If the PS3 version is even close to the 360 version then both sets of console buyers should be very happy performance/graphics wise.

Already have the 5th scheduled off from work. Ive never taken off for an FPS release, but its id and Carmack. Ive grown up with their worlds, they introduced me to FPSes and they deserve the respect as well as my dollars.

Deadbeat

Banned
Daigoro said:

I have a bad feeling the PC version will be like Brink in that it will be a huge disappointment.
Pylon_Trooper said:

All the Brink hate. I still play that damn rough diamond every week, and it's glorious. Just needs a few good expansions.
Its still a mess of problems. Such potential wasted. They still dont have the new balance fixes out yet.
dark10x said:
What, like Crysis 2 when it was first released? That's still one of the finest looking games on the entire PC platform. If it's a console port so be it.
Crysis 2 got higher res textures and better lighting with the dx11 stuff. Rage has none of that. Also, Battlefield 3 will rip this game to shreds.

garath

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already but I keep seeing "special co-op mode". Is there full story co-op or is the co-op an offshoot? It's reading like it's the latter.

Solo

Ill have Rage, Gears of War 3 and Dark Souls all ready to play on October 4th, and theres still no question at all that I will be playing Rage first.

Deadbeat said:
Crysis 2 got higher res textures and better lighting with the dx11 stuff. Rage has none of that. Also, Battlefield 3 will rip this game to shreds.

Having a hard time finding the source but I remember reading a interview with Carmack saying they will be working on a high res texture pack for PC.

TheExodu5

Banned
Deadbeat said:

BF3 and RAGE don't seem similar at all, to me.

Definity

I read the novel and all the comics. I'm so ready for this game. Part of the reason I joined back up with the master race. :)

Smokey

DenogginizerOS said:
The fact this runs at 60 FPS on all platforms is making my decision of which version to buy harder than I expected.

This shouldn't be a hard decision. If you have a PC (and you have a good one Denog) then go with that version. It'll still look better than the consoles.

On that note I am going to rip this game to shreds. It's not very demanding, so I'm expecting 1080p maxed out, and 60fps in 3D.

garath

Best sale I can find right now is Amazon w/ a $10 promo credit and release date delivery. Anything better for the PC version?

I'm still disappointed in this $60 trend for PC games. Just the lack of licensing fees alone should mean a lower price tag but whatever. It just makes me look for deals.

TheExodu5

Banned
So is there any chance to get ENB for this game to remove the brown? Or is the brown actually built into the textures (not a filter)?

MNC

Help me hype for this game. I'm completely uninterested in it (while it does look interesting) and all it does is remind me of fallout. That's not a bad thing, ofcourse, but what makes this game tick?

njean777

Wow thought this game was coming out October 25th for some reason. Got it pre-ordered an will be jumping in on the 4th lol. So does anybody know how the 360 install process will work? The reason I ask is because I heard it was 20GB?

TheExodu5

Banned
MNC said:
Help me hype for this game. I'm completely uninterested in it (while it does look interesting) and all it does is remind me of fallout. That's not a bad thing, ofcourse, but what makes this game tick?

It's so much better going into a game without any hype whatsoever. Hype only leads to disappointment (also known as the GAF backlash).

Smokey

garath said:
Best sale I can find right now is Amazon w/ a $10 promo credit and release date delivery. Anything better for the PC version?

I'm still disappointed in this $60 trend for PC games. Just the lack of licensing fees alone should mean a lower price tag but whatever. It just makes me look for deals.

Buy all your games from Amazon. Get in the cycle and you shouldn't be paying more than $40 for games. I had a $20 coupon from buying Gears 3, and used it on Rage. Will get a $10 coupon from Rage and the cycle continues...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Smokey said:
This shouldn't be a hard decision. If you have a PC (and you have a good one Denog) then go with that version. It'll still look better than the consoles.

On that note I am going to rip this game to shreds. It's not very demanding, so I'm expecting 1080p maxed out, and 60fps in 3D.
True. I need coop buddies though.

Gvaz

Banned
w/r/t to the developer talking about performance:

Developing for the PC then toning it down for consoles is always going to be better overall because you can get the best possible experience on both fields.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
DenogginizerOS said:
True. I need coop buddies though.

I'm wondering how much there even is to this. A decent number of bro-op missions would be appreciated, of course, but I'm not really expecting much.

jett

D-Member
Gvaz said:
w/r/t to the developer talking about performance:

Developing for the PC then toning it down for consoles is always going to be better overall because you can get the best possible experience on both fields.

No it isn't, not always, especially when getting a locked 60fps framerate is your priority.

CozMick

Banned
Shearie said:

Wow, 3 fucking discs!! that's a Love Film rental out of the question before I purchase on PS3 :\

Hmmm, might have to go in blind on this one, loved Carmack's previous work.

CoilShot

Is there difference between the ps3/360 versions besides the discs? I keep hearing different things and I need some solid information before next week.

Gvaz

Banned
jett said:
No it isn't, not always, especially when getting a locked 60fps framerate is your priority.
It's easier to reduce the load than it is to create new assets to fit for the consoles. You can reduce LOD, view distance, texture sizes, add some fog or blur or whatever to make up for the short draw distance or film grain for the lack of AA abilities, etc

Zeppelin

Feindflug said:
I remember reading it a while back but is there any confirmation on that?

Anyway we'll have the DF face-off analysis in a few weeks so I guess there's no point arguing which console version is better right now...either way the game looks and runs great in both systems.

IIRC Carmack said in his speech at Quakecon that the 360 supported 8k x 8k textures but that they had to go with 4k x 4k because the PS3 didn't. So I would assume textures will be the same quality wise? But I don't know, I might have totally misunderstood that part. And as you say, no point in arguing. There will be face-offs!

DryvBy

Pylon_Trooper said:

No, lies. Brink is not a rough diamond. It's a pile of trash that I THOUGHT the trashman picked up already. Let's never mention that abomination again.

OT, can't freakin' wait. ICO/SotC tomorrow then it's off to RAGE in the machines. Buying this to support id, and because it looks fantastic.

Top Bottom