• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

brunoa76

CoilShot said:
Is there difference between the ps3/360 versions besides the discs? I keep hearing different things and I need some solid information before next week.

By reading the french previews from august, the 360 version was better (less aliasing, quicker saves, less texture pop-ups).

Wag

Now you guys have me a bit nervous. I was going to pre-order the PC version, but now I'm going to wait for initial reviews.

garath

Wag said:
Now you guys have me a bit nervous. I was going to pre-order the PC version, but now I'm going to wait for initial reviews.

I don't see anyone nervous about anything. I fully expect the game to be good enough that it's only the third game this year I've pre-ordered.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Geoff9920 said:
Here's hoping for a High-Resolution texture pack download on Day 1. :)

Haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing no dice.

I's a hard decision for me. 360 will be easier for multiplayer but PS3 has it all on a single disc. I honestly don't know which to choose right now.

Smokey

Digital-Hero said:
I's a hard decision for me. 360 will be easier for multiplayer but PS3 has it all on a single disc. I honestly don't know which to choose right now.

consoles = PS3. I'm sure there will be plenty of MP on PS3. This doesn't really seem to be a MP focused game though.

Geoff9920 said:
Here's hoping for a High-Resolution texture pack download on Day 1. :)
given how the texturing works, wouldn't the memory requirements for something like that be a bit mad? that, or i guess we'd have something like the Crysis 2 texture pack, where it greatly increased the memory needed but people still weren't happy because they didn't understand that Crysis 2 had much greater texture variety, and would have needed much more memory than Crysis 1 needed for textures to bring its textures up to equivalent resolutions.

i mean, it'd be nice and all, but isn't the world basically drawn with one single giant texture? aren't we already talking something crazy like more than 10 gigs of textures in the shipping product.

this patch would be 40 gigabytes just to double the resolution.

Metal-Geo

plagiarize said:
given how the texturing works, wouldn't the memory requirements for something like that be a bit mad? that, or i guess we'd have something like the Crysis 2 texture pack, where it greatly increased the memory needed but people still weren't happy because they didn't understand that Crysis 2 had much greater texture variety, and would have needed much more memory than Crysis 1 needed for textures to bring its textures up to equivalent resolutions.

i mean, it'd be nice and all, but isn't the world basically drawn with one single giant texture? aren't we already talking something crazy like more than 10 gigs of textures in the shipping product.

Megatexture is mainly for the terrain. Objects, skins, etc... still work with individual textures.

Granted, I doubt a 'high-res texture pack' would include megatextures.

FrankT

brunoa76 said:
By reading the french previews from august, the 360 version was better (less aliasing, quicker saves, less texture pop-ups).

As did Gamesradar. Carmack made it pretty clear. 360 install>PS3 install>360 disc.

Have a feeling the game may not do so hot without great reviews at this point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Crysis 2 got higher res textures and better lighting with the dx11 stuff. Rage has none of that. Also, Battlefield 3 will rip this game to shreds.
Those extras were nice, but Crysis 2 looked incredible from the start.

In fact, most of those DX11 options are kind of useless for me now as I can't use them without sacrificing performance.

Autofokus

Jtyettis said:
As did Gamesradar. Carmack made it pretty clear. 360 install>PS3 install>360 disc.

Have a feeling the game may not do so hot without great reviews at this point.
Afaik, that was before id got their 8GB Install approved.

Digital Foundry: There have been stories that the PS3 version has an 8GB install...

Tim Willits: Yes, that's absolutely true.

Digital Foundry: What are the elements that you require to install? Is it just that the Blu-ray drive isn't fast enough?

Tim Willits: Sony was great. Kudos to Sony for letting us do that. They don't allow every game to do that. So definitely, hats off. What we were able to do is install all the textures to the highest level. What is nice about the PS3 platform is that it's just one platform. Everyone has one Blu-ray drive, one hard drive, it's all the same. Some of the other systems you have... should I install it on my 360? Should I not install it? So yes, it's very nice.

Wag

Going to do the trade-in thing @ Best Buy because they're offering 50% more value when you pre-order RAGE. I really hope the PC version is good.

Do they have any coupons or something I could use?

As far as texture packs and the like goes, there are those of us on the PC that could definitely use them (Tri-Crossfire 6950 here) so it would nice bonus for the PC community.

FrankT

8GB was mentioned a couple of weeks after those previews as I posted the info. I guess we shall see next week. I haven't heard any differences mentioned in any of the previews on textures so not so sure about the gamerblorge super rez pack speculation. Full install for 360 is not that far from PC anyhow. I suspect after install the differences will come down to FR and pop-in. Not sure about aliasing.

Metal-Geo said:
Megatexture is mainly for the terrain. Objects, skins, etc... still work with individual textures.

But the only textures that look low-res are the ones in the terrain.

Autofokus

When was Carmack's keynote again? I remember him talking about the PS3 install size and they trying to get approved for a bigger installation - so maybe this was really a last minute change, preview-builds are most of the time older.

Autofokus said:

Digital Foundry: There have been stories that the PS3 version has an 8GB install...

Tim Willits: Yes, that's absolutely true.

Digital Foundry: What are the elements that you require to install? Is it just that the Blu-ray drive isn't fast enough?

Tim Willits: Sony was great. Kudos to Sony for letting us do that. They don't allow every game to do that. So definitely, hats off. What we were able to do is install all the textures to the highest level. What is nice about the PS3 platform is that it's just one platform. Everyone has one Blu-ray drive, one hard drive, it's all the same. Some of the other systems you have... should I install it on my 360? Should I not install it? So yes, it's very nice.

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!

Way to go Sony!

Gabe had it right! =P

brunoa76 said:

Guess I'll go with 360.

I don't know... I'm more interested in whichever platform actually holds 60fps consistently.

Sanic

Metal-Geo said:

That's not really true. RAGE uses virtualized textures and that system applies to everything, includong characters and objects.

Geoff9920

Corky said:
Haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing no dice.
I realize it's most likely not happening. I only mentioned it because it was brought up as something Carmack would like to do. I think in reality that translates into a couple months afterwards if ever. But hey, I said "hope"! :p
plagiarize said:

Yeah, I don't remember the exact size but I do remember the entirety of the uncompressed textures for rage is rather crazy in size. However, even the recommended system requirements are rather light. This isn't nearly as demanding as "normal" Crysis 2. I think an optional download with less compressed textures would be doable. Getting it to people without killing their bandwidth caps could be a bit of a hassle.

GeoramA

Autofokus said:
Hearing about this was what pushed me to pre-order. The game wasn't even on my radar until I read this and saw the TGS videos.

Gvaz

Banned
brunoa76 said:
I can deal with slower saves and more texture popups if there's aliasing.

Man

Infamous Chris said:
It's the better console version, so it's pretty much a no brainer.
Where do we know this from? Or is this just Infamous Chris.
PS! None of the console versions has AA according to Willits so might want to check your sources.

kyubajin

Since I don't give a crap if it looks 1% better the other console, I'm still getting it on PS3. I'm sure it will look equally impressive.

GeoramA said:
It's true. He owns both versions and has played through them both.

It's Infamous Chris.
Ah, is he a 360 fanboy? Well, let's wait for more thrustworthy reports then.

Jtyettis said:
No AA on either. Eh bit of a disappointment there, but at 60fps I suppose sacrifices must be made.

WHAT?.. is it true 720 at least then? Otherwise the jaggies will ruin the game for sure (for me that is)

Man said:
Where do we know this from? Or is this just Infamous Chris.
PS! None of the console versions has AA according to Willits so might want to check your sources.

Eurogamer, previews, Carmack the man himself? Then again, you are Man, so it's understandable how you choose to ignore this.

BeeDog

I hope Digital Foundry (still the most consistent source for game tech articles/comparisons) are on this.

Though please do one for Renegade Ops first :p Curious about the specifics of the PS3 version.

FrankT

For those on the edge the best case is just wait for the DF analysis. Pretty sure the differences will be minimal at this point if they fixed the issues from the previews on the PS3. Really want to see this dynamic res stuff though in action. PC with AA really seems like the clear winner though.

Top Bottom