• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Game runs at a solid 60fps for me now with no noticeable texture loading. The screen tearing, however, makes playing the game intolerable. The CCC won't run on my computer so I can't force v-sync.

Solo

felipepl said:
Read somewhere on the interwebz that this could be forced AF. Disable it (if you got it enabled) and try again.

I've got nVidia inspector AND my config forcing it. I'll try disabling it.

Mutagenic said:
Game runs at a solid 60fps for me now with no noticeable texture loading. The screen tearing, however, makes playing the game intolerable. The CCC won't run on my computer so I can't force v-sync.
Download RadeonPro.

Rewmac

Banned
Mutagenic said:
What is CCC?

Bumhead

Banned
I've been so pumped for this game for so long and absolutely f*cking LOVED what I played of it at Eurogamer.

Even so, all these PC reports are really putting me off. I REALLY want to press "Buy" and give Carmack my £30 before Friday's UK launch.

Someone tell me the PC version is going to be OK?

I have an i5 @2500k, GTX 560ti, 4GB RAM.. anyone with similar set ups OK?

Rewmac said:
What is CCC?
Catalyst Control Center, the default tool used to configure AMD GPUs.

I used it for my initial setup, but now spend all my time making game specific profiles in RadeonPro. Its the Swiss army knife for any Radeon owner.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Mutagenic said:

yep new new driver fixed things for me and putting tripple buffer and forced v-sync elimated tearing.

Doing the old Quake style 180degree whip spin causes virtually no texture pop in ..its night and day difference from last night

yes this should have been resolved before release but within 24hrs isn't bad.

killamockingbrd

Neo Member
Mat C said:
I've been so pumped for this game for so long and absolutely f*cking LOVED what I played of it at Eurogamer.

Even so, all these PC reports are really putting me off. I REALLY want to press "Buy" and give Carmack my £30 before Friday's UK launch.

Someone tell me the PC version is going to be OK?

I have an i5 @2500k, GTX 560ti, 4GB RAM.. anyone with similar set ups OK?

Your system specs are fine. It's only ATI cards that seem to have issues.

Wallach

If you guys are using the new RAGE driver (lord help you if you aren't) for AMD that means it is using the confusing ass slider for Catalyst AI. Make sure that slider is set to "High Quality" or you might get some fucked up texture performance issues. Anything other than "High Quality" means Catalyst AI is on and doing shit.

Rewmac

Banned
NullPointer said:
Download RadeonPro.
I have that program, but could someone give me a hint or what to do here what settings should I enable and so on, I'm not a PC expert I just play games on it :) I know I have i5 2500K 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM

One other thing should I download the latest Rage driver for my Gigabyte Radeon 6950 1gb card? Because I read something about it's only for configs with one GPU but I don't even know what that means.

Thanks for any help. I just want clear up everything I'm picking up my copy tomorrow.

killamockingbrd said:
Your system specs are fine. It's only ATI cards that seem to have issues.

Uh, this better not be the viewpoint of Id, because while the game is perfectly playable for me and smooth, I get texture popins at the edge of my screen like a motherfucker and dark/shadowy areas have an intense green tint. (GTX 580)

Rewmac said:
I have that program, but could someone give me a hint or what to do here what settings should I enable and so on, I'm not a PC expert I just play games on it :) I know I have i5 2500K 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM
Other people here know far more than me - I've only had my gaming PC for a month now. But if I can get things to work as they should tonight I'd be more than happy to share my settings.

My plan is to apply the new AMD performance driver. Then create a profile that forces v-synch and triple buffering and see how it goes.

Should we also be tweaking cvars?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wallach said:
If you guys are using the new RAGE driver (lord help you if you aren't) for AMD that means it is using the confusing ass slider for Catalyst AI. Make sure that slider is set to "High Quality" or you might get some fucked up texture performance issues. Anything other than "High Quality" means Catalyst AI is on and doing shit.
Catalyst AI only has 3 settings: disabled, standard, and advanced

killamockingbrd

Neo Member
MisterAnderson said:
Uh, this better not be the viewpoint of Id, because while the game is perfectly playable for me and smooth, I get texture popins at the edge of my screen like a motherfucker and dark/shadowy areas have an intense green tint. (GTX 580)

My GTX 460 is handling it like a champ, and every complaint I've seen or heard has been from ATI card owners. I wasn't aware NVIDIA cards were having issues too. My apologies.

bloodydrake said:
yep new new driver fixed things for me and putting tripple buffer and forced v-sync elimated tearing.

Doing the old Quake style 180degree whip spin causes virtually no texture pop in ..its night and day difference from last night

yes this should have been resolved before release but within 24hrs isn't bad.
i wonder if ID are pissed at ATI? if they'd put the right driver out in the first place, this wouldn't have happened... but then ID should have made sure the right driver was out before the game before just throwing out the generic 'make sure you have the latest drivers!' advice.

Solo

plagiarize said:
i wonder if ID are pissed at ATI? if they'd put the right driver out in the first place, this wouldn't have happened... but then ID should have made sure the right driver was out before the game before just throwing out the generic 'make sure you have the latest drivers!' advice.

Well.... the texture pop-in issue is still 100% on id, and thats the biggest problem with the game.

x3sphere

With the new drivers, I'm getting a solid 60FPS at 2560x1600 with 4xAA. HD6970

Blurry textures are only visible if I turn around REALLY fast, and only for a split second.

Rewmac

Banned
NullPointer said:
Other people here know far more than me - I've only had my gaming PC for a month now. But if I can get things to work as they should tonight I'd be more than happy to share my settings.

My plan is to apply the new AMD performance driver. Then create a profile that forces v-synch and triple buffering and see how it goes.

Should we also be tweaking cvars?
Same here I bought my PC 3 weeks ago and I just realized the guy who configured my PC also installed CCC, should I still use RadeonPro or it will cause some disurbance in the force?

JRW

lqd said:
So I used config posted earlier and it still stutters like a motherfucker.
Just to clarify game is installed on RAID0 and I did create folder (lol) for texture cache on SSD drive where my system is. I mean, what the fuck is this shit:

rw1d0j.png

Looks like I'm done with this game till it's patched properly, fuck you id/amd or whoever is responsible for this fucking mess.

As far as those visible black lines throughout the textures (or "seams") this happened to me when I forced Anistropic filtering in Nvidia control panel, once I set it to Application controlled the lines went away.

legbone

all right. i'm off work, in the recliner waiting for ups to bring my copy. i hope it gets here before i have to go do my volunteer work at the bingo game tonight. i would at least like to get it installed and then play 30 mins or so. anyway, i have a question:

for those with a 360 copy, how does the install work. can you install just the first disc and then install the second one when it comes time? or do you have to install both? or can you do it both ways? probably too early for an answer but does it jump back and forth from disc to disc or is the second half of the campaign on the second disc completely? thanks in advance.

SoulClap

Rewmac said:

One other thing should I download the latest Rage driver for my Gigabyte Radeon 6950 1gb card? Because I read something about it's only for configs with one GPU but I don't even know what that means.

Thanks for any help. I just want clear up everything I'm picking up my copy tomorrow.

Yes go ahead at download the drivers. http://bit.ly/nKiOhN. If you only have one 6950 you'll be fine. Here are the steps for enabling triple buffering and Vsync in RadeonPro.

- Click the 'Add new profile' button. Its near the top. Looks like a paper with a green plus sign on it.
- Locate in Rage.exe and open it. If you downloaded via Steam the exe will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage
- Make sure Rage is highlighted in the profiles window on the left
- Navigate to the 'Advanced' tab on the right. Check 'Force Triple-Buffering (OpenGL)
- Navigate to the 'Visual' tab. Select 'Always On' from the 'Vertical sync control' slider (last option)

You should be good now

Rewmac said:
Same here I bought my PC 3 weeks ago and I just realized the guy who configured my PC also installed CCC, should I still use RadeonPro or it will cause some disurbance in the force?
I only used CCC for my initial setup (dual monitor + HDTV), but I use RadeonPro profiles for just about every game I play. Yes, I have learned to love Triple Buffering.

Salsa

NullPointer said:
Maybe we can get Salsa to update the OP?

I was thinking of making another one at this point, since OP is messy

but youre probably right

I'll just wait till the game releases everywhere and make a new thread/update the OP with all the fixes and stuff we can find til then.

Zaphod

What version should my Catalyst software be after installing the drivers? I installed them but I'm not sure anything changed.

Pimpbaa

MisterAnderson said:
I get texture popins at the edge of my screen like a motherfucker and dark/shadowy areas have an intense green tint. (GTX 580)

I think this may be working as intended.

Rewmac

Banned
SoulClap said:
Yes go ahead at download the drivers. http://bit.ly/nKiOhN. If you only have one 6950 you'll be fine. Here are the steps for enabling triple buffering and v-sync in RadeoPro.

- Click the 'Add new proflile' button. Its near the top. Looks like a paper with a green plus sign on it.
- Locate in Rage.exe and open it. If you downloaded via Steam the exe will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage
- Make sure Rage is highlighted in the profiles window on the left
- Navigate to the 'Advanced' tab on the right. Check 'Force Triple-Buffering (OpenGL)
- Navigate to the 'Tweaks' tab. Select 'Always On' from the 'VSync control' dropdown menu

You should be good now
Thanks a lot. I have CC for initial setup (at least as far as I figured out) won't it be a problem that two of these programs are running? Oh and does RadeonPro have to run when I start the game from destkop? And no I'm getting good old retail version :)

Running Nvidia regular drivers and the experience was awful.

Upgraded to the beta drivers and it was manageable at first. Then it just went to hell. Big time slideshow crap. Stuttering like crazy. Aiming became a chore. The game so far, to me, is extremely, highly, unimpressive and generic.

I'm on a 2600K and running 2 EVGA 580 Superclocked SLI setup at 1080p on my 52" TV. Runs like total garbage. id is going to lose some big time cred. over this.

Zefah said:
I don't understand comments like this. Why do you think your preferences are more valid than that of anyone else?

Do you think the PC discussion is preventing console folk from posting their impressions? I've already seen a few impressions from such people in this thread. Maybe the fact that the console folk will, in general, just be getting their copies today and, being a week day, most people will be at work/school and wouldn't have had time to play yet. The PC version was released at 9pm PST last night, and most people already had it preloaded on Steam, so obviously the majority of impressions will be coming from the version that is already readily available. Unfortunately, id released a bunk product, so instead of general game impressions, you get tech talk.

Anyway, you can expect console impressions later today, I'm sure. Also, it's not like console discussions are free of tech talk. Just look at the PS3 resolution outrage (which is apparently unfounded?) throughout the last dozen pages or so.

Good points and I'm just noticing this reply. For the record though, I never mentioned anything about my preferences being more valid than anyone else.

Pimpbaa

The Teachinator said:
Running Nvidia regular drivers and the experience was awful.

Upgraded to the beta drivers and it was manageable at first. Then it just went to hell. Big time slideshow crap. Stuttering like crazy. Aiming became a chore. The game so far, to me, is extremely, highly, unimpressive and generic.

I'm on a 2600K and running 2 EVGA 580 Superclocked SLI setup at 1080p on my 52" TV. Runs like total garbage. id is going to lose some big time cred. over this.

Did you try running it on just 1 of your 580s? Also, don't games need new profiles in the drivers for SLI to work correctly?

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
cleveridea said:
LOL retail disk at least came with a code

install time apparently

1 hour 50 minutes

If you have a retail PC copy, install through the disc. It'll make you enter the Steam code, but then it will install the game from DVD. Much faster.

forrest

formerly nacire
i7 @ 2.8
8gb RAM
ATI 5850
Catalyst Rage Performance Drivers

Running fucking incredible now! Holy shit at the difference! Definitely not good to stumble out of the gate like this though. I hope somewhere, someone is getting a judo slam from Carmack. Also, the texture pop in on a quick turn in still present, but its much, much faster and far less distracting.

For those of you seeing lines in objects, I suggest setting your AA options to "Use Application Settings". That's what fixed it for me when I was tinkering earlier before the fixed drivers were released.

Will report back later, it's mutant shootin time!

outsida

outsida said:
This is on a M18x 2620qm, crossfired 6970's, 8 gigs of ram. Running at 1080p with 2x AA and I'm getting 34-50 outside it's really up and down but the frames inside are more stable. Also I don't have the specfic Rage driver installed yet as I haven't found a modded mobility one yet.

Update new driver from AMD has me locked at 60 now..

legbone

ups just came. woohoo. i can now answer my own question. for others interested, you can do it either way. later peeps. i will give impressions later tonight.

Just watched the GameTrailers review.

Love the enemy movement... so varied and interesting, i.e.: they look like they're actually attacking and trying to kill you.

Wallach

luka said:
Catalyst AI only has 3 settings: disabled, standard, and advanced

I think it will only show like that if you've been installing directly over previous driver versions from when you could actually do that. For a long time now CCC has not used those settings to control Catalyst AI, but CCC does not update right if you don't do a clean style install.

If you have the updated CCC settings (Performance/Quality/High Quality) you need to be on High Quality to turn Catalyst AI off.

Zaphod said:
What version should my Catalyst software be after installing the drivers? I installed them but I'm not sure anything changed.

ElBPI.jpg

Top Bottom