• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Cpt.Underpants said:
Windows 7 64bit
ATI Radeon 5570 1GB
3gb RAM
Dual-Core processor 2.60GHz

Black boxes are the only issues, besides that its smooth.

same card same problem

sometimes it doesn't happen...other times it's few...others it's lots

other than that the game is super smooth and looks really really really good

the black boxes are annoying though

i'm using the config file posted before with 8k and i get little to no texture loading

btw i'm using 1.8 drivers

anything else and i get the bug that makes your weapons flicker and that's waaaaay more annoying

Gvaz

Banned
Man, I installed rage on my desktop instead of my laptop and I can't even get to the main menu on my HD4890 system :(

Wallach

Gvaz said:
Man, I installed rage on my desktop instead of my laptop and I can't even get to the main menu on my HD4890 system :(

I actually crashed there too on start-up just after I installed the newest driver. Had to reset CCC settings to fix it (AI HQ, force VSync, OpenGL triple buffering).

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Cpt.Underpants said:
cv9La.jpg

Despite the new AMD drivers, still the same

Back to square one
I just got back home and after installing the latest driver from ATI got the same problem.

LLShC.gif

I'm extremely disappointed.

Gvaz

Banned
Wow this stutters like crap and has tons of popin on my ati card even with today's drivers. Holy fuck

Any fixes?

So I started playing this tonight on a 5970. Initially, it ran pretty badly until I installed the newest drivers and the config in the OP.

It runs at 60fps stable, no tearing or messed up textures.

HOWEVER, I'm having absurd stuttering problems. They actually interfere in the gameplay as whenever it happens, whatever action I was taking just repeats adnauseum until the "hiccup" catches up. For example, I just got the shiper rifle and if I fire it and it hiccups, it will just fire for 3 rounds before I can control it again.

I have no clue what's going on here, but it's actually unplayable like this.

My machine:
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4GHz
8GB DDR3
XFX 5970 Black Edition OC

edit:
God, I'm seeing this is still a problem. What the fuck AMD?

DoctorZ

Gonna start playing with

GTX 480
amd phenom II x4 3.2ghz
4gb ddr3

Any specific changes people have found pertaining to Nvidia cards? Most of the issues I've seen have be related to ATI cards.

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone else get this in the Chamber of laughs or whatever?

This whole area was giving me bugged out animations (quick switching between T-poses and that state, it's like they were caught on the ground)

Even my own character at the end of the challenge was doing the same thing, but only in this area.

rage2011-10-0721-08-54kd5l.jpg

btw I was having fun with cheat engine, if you have to ask

Salsa

This is a bit of a non-issue, but

every once in a while (and i mean that literally, could happen after 25 minutes or 2 hours) i get the screen "stuck" for like 1 second, like a light freeze, and then it goes back to normal (happens just on visuals, i can still hear sound etc). It happens VERY randomly and i can play through entire sessions without it happening, and it doesnt relate to any of what's happening on screen

what could be causing it?

DoctorZ said:
Gonna start playing with

GTX 480
amd phenom II x4 3.2ghz
4gb ddr3

Any specific changes people have found pertaining to Nvidia cards? Most of the issues I've seen have be related to ATI cards.

basically do what it says in the OP, but instead of the 16k value use the 8k one

DoctorZ

SalsaShark said:
basically do what it says in the OP, but instead of the 16k value use the 8k one

Having the same texture popping issues with 16k and 8k settings. Going to try lowering AA. And any other changes someone would recommend. I'd take a drop in frames in exchange for no texture pop to be honest.
Otherwise the game runs smooth, 60 fps. But the texture pop is more distracting than I thought it would be.

Samiad

TheOctagon said:
I don't have a 2160p monitor; I have a 1080p monitor with a hacked EDID.

Wow - any ideas where I can learn how to do this? I always wanted to do something like this in the past.

So whats the best way to deal with the screen tearing.

I tried forcing triple buffering and now I get screen tearing on the very bottom of the screen instead of right on the middle.

gibon3z said:
So whats the best way to deal with the screen tearing.

I tried forcing triple buffering and now I get screen tearing on the very bottom of the screen instead of right on the middle.

+r_swapInterval 1

Solved any tearing for me (simply forces vsync)

Gvaz said:
Wow this stutters like crap and has tons of popin on my ati card even with today's drivers. Holy fuck

Any fixes?
I dunno - but today's driver solved all of my issues. I'd recommend making sure you installed it OK (after uninstalling the current ones) and then starting over fresh on the tweaks, one step at a time.

Pain in the ass, yes, but this game runs sweet as hell once you get it all setup.

DoctorZ

I cant seem to turn off mouse accel.

m_smooth 0 does nothing. It accepts it, then saves, but when I type m_smooth it says it is set to 1. Any other way to disable it, the mouse moves so much in the menus that it takes me 5 seconds to hit accept.

Also I am still getting some texture pop in.
Is this just as good as it will get?

using 8k settings and 2x AA 1920x1080

GTX 480
amd phenom II x4 3.2ghz
4gb ddr3

No overclocking. The environment looks amazing when you stand still, better than any game I've played, but on the move it looks like shit.

Scythian

Wallach said:
I believe it is from forcing AF through drivers.
Thanks, disabling Anisotropic Filtering in Nvidia Control Panel solved it ;)

DoctorZ said:
Also I am still getting some texture pop in.
Is this just as good as it will get?

No overclocking. The environment looks amazing when you stand still, better than any game I've played, but on the move it looks like shit.
Have you tried different configs found on the Bethesda Forums or Steam Forums? Stickies are specially helpful.
There are also official fixes: Getting the best performance out of Rage

Kraftwerk

I have been tinkering with this for the past 30 minutes. Still getting texture pops. When will the official 'fix' patch be out? Really wanna play this.

Grayman

SalsaShark said:
This is a bit of a non-issue, but

every once in a while (and i mean that literally, could happen after 25 minutes or 2 hours) i get the screen "stuck" for like 1 second, like a light freeze, and then it goes back to normal (happens just on visuals, i can still hear sound etc). It happens VERY randomly and i can play through entire sessions without it happening, and it doesnt relate to any of what's happening on screen

what could be causing it?

I think the pause is caching textures or models. Just a guess from how games act. On hardware of the time Quake 3 would do it as new models were loaded. I cannot think of specific examples right now but some games do seem to have a hitch when a door is kicked open or the player goes from a cramped tunnel to a vista.

Grayman

DoctorZ said:
I cant seem to turn off mouse accel.

m_smooth 0 does nothing. It accepts it, then saves, but when I type m_smooth it says it is set to 1. Any other way to disable it, the mouse moves so much in the menus that it takes me 5 seconds to hit accept.
I haven't found a way to either. console usage and configs seem partially broken.

Salsa

Grayman said:
I think the pause is caching textures or models. Just a guess from how games act. On hardware of the time Quake 3 would do it as new models were loaded. I cannot think of specific examples right now but some games do seem to have a hitch when a door is kicked open or the player goes from a cramped tunnel to a vista.

I can guarantee that its completely random here, weird

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
New ATI drivers completely hosed it for me. Now it's completely unplayable, hitching like crazy, V-Sync not working via the drivers nor the .cfg file, wouldn't even load properly with triple buffering enabled.

Fuck ATI and fuck id for designing a game to run on drivers that don't exist.

jett

D-Member
Well I bit the bullet. I've been excited for this game for years, I just had to get it. Maybe one day I'll play it like it's meant to be played.

First off, I have a pretty low-end system. A C2D with a 4670, but even with this configuration I manage to run pretty much every console port at 60fps or near it. Well ever since I've had this PC I've expected Rage to run flawlessly on my machine, considering it manages a locked 60fps on consoles. Well RAGE does not fucking run anywhere near close to a locked 60fps(fluctuates between 30 and 60). Add to that constant texture popping in and out(improved with the rageconfig.cfg but still completely unacceptable), hideous screen tearing, and what the fuck is it with the black squares on the map. Even disregarding all the graphical bugs, this game is honestly ugly as fuck. The non-existent lighting really is a bother "in person".

Man, this game is a technical embarrassment for everyone involved. What's sad is that people with cards that are hundreds of dollars more expensive than mine get the same problems.

edit: also I just think it's hilarious how the game doesn't even start up unless you're using the very latest drivers. Just what the fuck id?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
Well I bit the bullet. I've been excited for this game for years, I just had to get it. Maybe one day I'll play it like it's meant to be played.

First off, I have a pretty low-end system. A C2D with a 4670, but even with this configuration I manage to run pretty much every console port at 60fps or near it. Well ever since I've had this PC I've expected Rage to run flawlessly on my machine, considering it manages a locked 60fps on consoles. Well RAGE does not fucking run anywhere near close to a locked 60fps(fluctuates between 30 and 60). Add to that constant texture popping in and out(improved with the rageconfig.cfg but still completely unacceptable), hideous screen tearing, and what the fuck is it with the black squares on the map. Even disregarding all the graphical bugs, this game is honestly ugly as fuck. The non-existent lighting really is a bother "in person".

Man, this game is a technical embarrassment for everyone involved. What's sad is that people with cards that are hundreds of dollars more expensive than mine get the same problems.

edit: also I just think it's hilarious how the game doesn't even start up unless you're using the very latest drivers. Just what the fuck id?

The fault of the game playing silly buggers with AMD/ATi cards rests at the feet of AMD's shit drivers.

Edit: I do think the release of the game should have been postponed until proper driver support was in the bag, but I imagine ZeniMax/Beth wanted to give the game some breathing room prior to the November rush.

jett

D-Member
JaseC said:
The fault of the game playing silly buggers with AMD/ATi cards rests at the feet of AMD's shit drivers.

No, sorry, I'm gonna blame id on this one. Looks like these people started testing AMD machines a week before release date.

JaseC

jett said:
No, sorry, I'm gonna blame id on this one. Looks like these people started testing AMD machines a week before release date.

Yeah, see my edit.

jett said:

Did you play and/or read about the fiasco that was ATI+Brink a few months ago? OpenGL games and ATI video cards just don't mix. That game was so hugely fucked and unplayable, and apparently so is Rage. So glad I own an NV card now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, idiot I am.

I was using the 10/04 "Rage performance driver", but still got the occasional crash and NPC flicker issue, so I decided to install today's new 11.10 preview drivers.

Shit is stuttering like mad. What the fuck. I never had stutter issues before this.

Time to run driver sweeper and go back. AMD really needs to get their shit together.

Gvaz

Banned
IDK what I did but the game runs like butter now, I added some things to my config and it works great :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
Lol, idiot I am.

I was using the 10/04 "Rage performance driver", but still got the occasional crash and NPC flicker issue, so I decided to install today's new 11.10 preview drivers.

Shit is stuttering like mad. What the fuck. I never had stutter issues before this.

Time to run driver sweeper and go back. AMD really needs to get their shit together.

Fuck! I guess that driver screwed up something, because even after uninstalling, running driver sweeper, and reinstalling the previous drivers from scratch, I'm still getting stuttering problems, which I never got before. Goddamn it. Why did I have to go messing around with stuff?

This game...

AcciDante

Zefah said:
Lol, idiot I am.

Oh man, I just installed the 10/4 one thinking its the latest. Just bought the game and am downloading now. I'll try out the old driver before the newest one...

SHarris78

Installed the latest amd drivers (from 7/10), and STILL get a black screen and 'Rage has stopped working' error.

Haven't even seen the title screen of the game yet. Giving it a week for major patch to be released then i'm trading it in.

Shocking state to release a game in. And if Carmack thinks the PC isn't realy worth making games for then he can fuck off.

SHarris78 said:
Installed the latest amd drivers (from 7/10), and STILL get a black screen and 'Rage has stopped working' error.

Haven't even seen the title screen of the game yet. Giving it a week for major patch to be released then i'm trading it in.

Shocking state to release a game in. And if Carmack thinks the PC isn't realy worth making games for then he can fuck off.

Happened to me as well. Unticking triple buffering in Catalyst fixed it for me.

krameriffic said:
Did you play and/or read about the fiasco that was ATI+Brink a few months ago? OpenGL games and ATI video cards just don't mix. That game was so hugely fucked and unplayable, and apparently so is Rage. So glad I own an NV card now.

So bizarre with me. Brink worked out of the box with no issues whatsoever on a 5650 HD Mobility. Little laptop loves its idTech, it seems.

JaseC

Pylon_Trooper said:
So bizarre with me. Brink worked out of the box with no issues whatsoever on a 5650 HD Mobility. Little laptop loves its idTech, it seems.

Catalyst and Catalyst Mobility are separate driver packages, so it's likely that the buggered OGL drivers weren't present in the latter.

Lolerzors

So up until maybe an hour ago my game was running fine at 60 fps with no stuttering at all... Then I closed RAGE to play some l4d and when I loaded up my save, I found that the game only ran at 24 fps in towns and 14 fps in the overworld. I restarted my computer and everything but the problem persisted so does anyone know a fix for this?

PC specs:
Intel Core i7-2630QM
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 560M 1.5 GB

Grayman

SalsaShark said:
I can guarantee that its completely random here, weird
I have started noticing it now. Nothing has changed with patches drivers or configs so it must just be that I am playing more.

mitheor

Does anybody have problems with the mouse?

Mine is not working at all ingame :| I have to use 360 controller because of that. I have Win8 DPV in a new computer (GTX590, 8Gb and so). All other games work perfectly.
LLShC.gif

derFeef

I can confirm that forcing anything through RadeonPro instead of CCC itself brakes the game for me for very weird reasons. Stalls, texture glitches etc.

Wallach

+cvaradd m_menu_sensitivity -0.2

Adding that to the launch properties helps with the retarded mouse speed in menus. Can't find one that turns off the jacked up acceleration though.

Top Bottom