• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Nafai1123 said:
My friend is encountering major stuttering issues when loading new textures. Once the scene is loaded the FPS will be fine but as soon as he turns it starts stuttering.

Core 2 duo
4gig ram
ATI 5770

Already tried setting textures to 4096, no AA, at lowest resolution possible and he's still having the problem. Any fixes?

Try this, method though it doesnt resolve the texture pop in but it fixed the freezing part.

Edit: My only issue now is the texture pop in when I turn and graphical black boxes appearing on objects, anyone got a method to fix it?

http://i.imgur.com/h99u2.jpg

Texture pop in happends everytime I turn

Victrix

*beard*
@Thollenshead Todd Hollenshead
11.10 ATI drivers are in the process of being uploaded now. It may take a while to propogate. This is a multi-card/multi-platform update.

Victrix said:
11.10 ATI drivers are in the process of being uploaded now. It may take a while to propogate. This is a multi-card/multi-platform update.
i presume that since Todd is posting about these that they contain the Rage appropriate stuff. sometimes the whql drivers are a couple of months behind the 'hotfix' and 'performance' releases.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Victrix said:

f5.gif

54-46!

Runs very smooth so far.

Settings:
8x AA

CFG:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

Launch options:
+set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +vt_maxPPF 16 +cvaradd g_fov 20 +r_swapInterval 1

PC:
Phenom II X4 955 @ 3,2Ghz
HD 4890 1GB
4GB DDR3

kitanii

Banned
id's description: "set the maximum texture anisotropy if available"

It doesn't read like an on/off switch to me.

If available. So if it's set to 1(enabled/available) it uses the vt_maxAniso setting specified.

In other words image_anisotropy set to 1 uses for example 4xAF if vt_maxAniso is set to 4.

That's how it's behaving for me.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series for single GPU configurations.

Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.

Improves performance in Rage on single GPU and AMD CrossFire configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of products.

Resolves intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage

Resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage

Enables automatic Vsync for Rage

Very nice!

derFeef

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/statuses/122394461631295488
Here's the new unified Rage / BF3 driver (for Win 7, Vista, XP) bit.ly/o0paWR One note - CrossFire for Rage will come next week
Now what...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Scythian said:
This is how my game looks like: Screenshot
Textures are low quality. Any help?
nope none. there are no extra high detailed textures due to console memory limitations
if it looks stunning from more then 8 virtual feet away but soft and blurry from a virtual 6inches away..
"Its working as intended"

Wallach

Wallach said:
Yeah, going to wait until tomorrow to play it further. Getting annoyed with the occasional weapon flickering and it crashed on me again during a transition, both of which seem to be consistent AMD issues. Hoping the driver fixes it.

Wise as a motherfucker right here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
metsallica said:
Can a 1.25GB GTX 570 handle 8K textures?

Well and truly. I am also running a GTX 570, and during my cursory tests memory usage in Wellspring went no higher than ~870MB, while the memory footprint of the wasteland is approximately 300MB less.

Calen

angular graphics said:
I think they could have made additional detail maps to enhance the detail of the core megatextures eg when you get straight up next to a wall, the detail map would add additional definition to the underlying surface of the megatexture, and I suspect the only reason they didn't do this is to maintain 60fps on consoles. If the tech is compatible with something like what I said, it would make a big difference IMO..

Also given that something like Crysis 2, has <500mb dedicated for all kinds of textures, I don't think that the lack of detail maps was that they didn't have space for them. Either the tech is incompatible with them, or there was no memory/rendering power to hit 60fps on consoles if they would include them.. Here's hoping for Doom 4..
You know, I was thinking about that just this morning. Detail textures are great for helping break up the obvious filtering of magnified texels. I think it would be pretty easy to have a single detail texture everywhere, and pretty cheap (just an extra texture fetch and multiply per pixel-ish). The problem is, how do you have more than one? If you wanted more than just some basic noise on *every* surface in the game, you'd need some kind of information per texel in the megatexture, which.. well, that's a lot.

Firehead

TheOctagon said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/435063/16k15.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/435063/16k23.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/435063/16k7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You and your crazy sorcery!

How the hell did you manage to get no hud and ghosting!?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fxp said:
Still stutters with newest AMD driver.
Good job, everyone!
Are you serious? :/
Did you uninstall previous drivers & clean sweep before installing new drivers?

derFeef said:
That new driver resolved all my issues like stuttering and low framerate, awesome!
Hmm, who to believe...

JaseC

bloodydrake said:
First two pics would be called bullshots by just about everyone on GAF if they didn't know what id had been doing

If you're one who believes downsampled screenshots are also bullshots (personally, I don't), then these fit the definition as they're downsampled from 2160p.

Firehead said:
You and your crazy sorcery!

How the hell did you manage to get no hud and ghosting!?

image_screenshotquality 100 removes the HUD when taking screenshots using the in-game console command.

Fxp

Kaako said:
Are you serious? :/
Did you uninstall previous drivers & clean sweep before installing new drivers?

Hmm, who to believe...

Yes, uninstalled & used Driver Sweeper.

The new ATI driver resolved my crashing issue when loading.. I can now go into and out of anyplace I desire..

Good job, ATI.

Running nicely (45-60 fps) on my 2011 macbook pro with its Radeon 6750M 1GB.

derFeef

Fxp said:
Yes, uninstalled & used Driver Sweeper.
I installed it right over... sweeping drivers would have been my second try, but it's working right away. What card do you have?

edit: and oh, running with 16k setting now, looks sweet!

kitanii said:
If available. So if it's set to 1(enabled/available) it uses the vt_maxAniso setting specified.

In other words image_anisotropy set to 1 uses for example 4xAF if vt_maxAniso is set to 4.

That's how it's behaving for me.

Gotcha, you are probably right, since it didn't make much sense to me they had two different commands for controlling AF. That explains it. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I STILL get fucking stuttering. What the hell? The framerate is perfect now, but the game just won't run perfectly. SOMETIMES it will start up and run great, but most of the time, I get little hitches throughout despite running from an SSD (even worse when moved to a regular HDD).

I mean, I'm just playing the game on PS3, but for a second playthrough I'd like to use my PC.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
JaseC said:
If you're one who believes downsampled screenshots are also bullshots (personally, I don't), then these fit the definition as they're downsampled from 2160p.
nah i tend to think of bullshots as stuff that isn't in game but posted as in game...like photomode in forza ect. or first screenshots that obviously have some stuff done to the image after the fact.if its 100% like gameplay i don't see downsampling as foul

JaseC

bloodydrake said:
nah i tend to think of bullshots as stuff that isn't in game but posted as in game...like photomode in forza ect. or first screenshots that obviously have some stuff done to the image after the fact.if its 100% like gameplay i don't see downsampling as foul

So this is what it feels like... when doves cry.

UfeKZ.png

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
oh ya Rage crashes right at logo if triple buffer in CCP is enabled for opengl.
Which if these drivers enable any kind of crossfire support make sense since you can't use triple buffering in Crossfire.

edit: /\ LOL perfect Millhouse pic hahah

AMD Driver Update said:
Improves performance in Rage on single GPU and AMD CrossFire configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of products.
Resolves intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage
Resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage

FUCK YES

Victrix

*beard*
Radeon 6850

Visually glitching NPCs: Check
Stuttering and freezing: Check
Locked up on launch three times in a row: Check

Yep, seems fixed.

Fuck this company. I'm done with ATI. Going Nvidia on the next GPU refresh. Shame on id for letting this out the door.

Fxp

derFeef said:
I installed it right over... sweeping drivers would have been my second try, but it's working right away. What card do you have?

edit: and oh, running with 16k setting now, looks sweet!

AMD 6850. Maybe my CPU is too weak - E4500 2.2 Ghz. Still, BF3 beta runs fine.

TheDudeLasse said:
After the new Catalyst driver Rage running rock solid at 60fps... Nice and consistant.
2600K@4.5 + AMD Radeon 6950@6970

Did you configure any .cfg files before that? Or done anything on the CCC panel?

TheDudeLasse

Neo Member
Cpt.Underpants said:
Did you configure any .cfg files before that? Or done anything on the CCC panel?

Rageconfig.cfg:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

And I have have triple buffering enabled in the CCC

Wallach

Out of curiosity, do you guys get any slowdown when leaving the Outrigger Settlement w/ vehicle? Like going from there to Hagar Settlement?

nitric0

Wow I did the CFG file and installed the new AMD drivers. My FPS went from 25-30 to 60-70, awesome. 2xAA though

Top Bottom