• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Still the same problems as the previous Rage Performance drivers. Flickering models, wierd flickering of the shotgun ammo, it'll float above the gun .. WTF ?

Seriously, what is wrong with AMD? Every Rage Performance driver release thus far has problems, get your junk together.

When its time to upgrade the GPU, I will go with Nvidia next time.

Just gave the new drivers a go for one mission. No flicker and I didn't crash in the load screen when returning to town. So far so good.

derFeef

For those still experiencing issues... can you check your driver version? Since for the most it worked and for some it seems to be the same.

The drivers released today fixed everything! Thanks ati for making me wait days to play a game, last time I buy ati that's for sure, tired of their driver problems on almost every big game release.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still get the occasional loading crash, so I may try updating to the new drivers.

Tom Penny

reektann said:
Well.. 30 mins into my first play using the following CFG:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

I got an Nvidia OpenGL error to do with this:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3007

:/

this is on a GTX 460

Strange. I got the same card. Works 100% fine with the 16K config @ 60 FPS. I'm on driver 280.26

derFeef

GhostRidah said:
The drivers released today fixed everything! Thanks ati for making me wait days to play a game, last time I buy ati that's for sure, tired of their driver problems on almost every big game release.
If just all devs would start to work with both manufactors during development to get optimized drivers out before/until lauch, there would be no problem.

Tom Penny

garath said:
How can ANYONE say this isn't a gorgeous game at times?

And the static screenshot doesn't even do it justice. In motion it's even better. The draw distance and environment are absolutely phenomenal.

Key word. Indoor environments especially textures up close are more or less bad.

Ricker

Tom Penny said:
Strange. I got the same card. Works 100% fine with the 16K config @ 60 FPS. I'm on driver 280.26

Well if it aint broke...but you shouldn`t be on those drivers,you should be on 285.38 I think,you have no choice if you want to play the Battlefield 3 beta also.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Penny said:
Key word. Indoor environments especially textures up close are more or less bad.

Yep. Honestly, other than those on actual characters, the textures are universally shit. Across the board, the textures are muddy and ugly as sin. That has nothing to do with the art. It's obvious these came from lovingly crafted high quality assets. It's just that they have been ruined by compression to the point where the game only looks good if you're looking at a scene from far away. It looks great when you do that, but it all falls apart the moment you get within 10-15ft of something.

Tom Penny said:

Have you been to the dead city yet? my jaw hit the floor at how shit the hospital area looked. Literally every surface with macroblocking.

Tom Penny

fizzelopeguss said:
Have you been to the dead city yet? my jaw hit the floor at how shit the hospital area looked. Literally every surface with macroblocking.

Nah. Just got the buggy and some weapons for it however far that is.

commissar

Well.

New AMD drivers did fucking nothing. Game still pulls the wrong textures.

I'll see if I can get some other install files just in case mine are corrupted :/

Not buying AMD again

Stitch

Gold Member
fizzelopeguss said:
the whole dead city looks like shit. wtf it's like fallout on med-low.

Salsa

Stitch said:

what's your card? config file? i experience 0 pop-in whatsoever and the only time i see muddy textures is if i go face them inches away.

cv9La.jpg

Despite the new AMD drivers, still the same

Back to square one

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I like that he is at least honest and doesn't try to be nice with PC crowd. Yes, it seems that the game is optimized to run well on consoles and pretty high-end PC hardware, dealwithit, it's id's way now.

AMD fucked drivers in a major way, that's also the fact.

As for options it also doesn't surprise me as he was puzzled over the outrage that happened after MW2 took out the dedicated servers. Well, not right after that but he wondered why dedis are important to people so much. Obviously it was just a piece of technology for him.

I mean face it, Carmack develops for a platform that supposed to make more money for the kind of game he wants to make. If tommorow calculators suddenly become the platform where FPS games are the most popular he will develop for them. He is a programmer, not a a fanboy.

Stitch said:

The foliage is my favourite part there, it looks like SNES pixel art. I fucking laughed when i noticed it moved when you walk through it. All that effort to animate it when the actual alpha texture is this ghastly...ghastly fucking thing. Mind boggling.

Stitch

Gold Member
SalsaShark said:
what's your card? config file? i experience 0 pop-in whatsoever and the only time i see muddy textures is if i go face them inches away.
560ti

vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

+ cache folder enabled
+ stuff in my launch options, no idea what they do

+r_swapInterval 1 +vt_maxPPF 16 +cvaradd g_fov 10 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1 +g_showplayershadow 1

Salsa

Stitch said:
+ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1 +g_showplayershadow 1

remove all that, and maybe +vt_maxPPF 16

I have the same card as you

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Cpt.Underpants said:
http://i.imgur.com/cv9La.jpg[IMG]

Despite the new AMD drivers, still the same

Back to square one[/QUOTE]
Damn, I have the same problem but I yet have to try the new drivers, not expecting much now though.

Stitch said:
uugghhh, so much texture pop-in in the dead city, even with all the tweaks.
Just got there now and I'm not getting any on my setup. More tweaking needed?

Edit: My setup (6950 2 Gig)

vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

Launch: +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +r_swapInterval 1 +vt_maxPPF 16 +cvaradd g_fov 10

+ Forced triplebuffering and 8 x AA in-game. Nothing extraneous.

Stitch

Gold Member
I think high anti-aliasing was the problem. Had it at 8x but 4x seems to be better.
Doesn't make the textures less ugly but the pop-in seems to be gone. :|

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gvaz said:
Someone is extremely lucky. He knows someone who knows someone who could get him a monitor like that.

I guess the keyword is extremely. Looking at 2160p monitors here in sweden. There are two models aimed at medical use.

One for 15 000 usd. The other one for 60 000 usd.

Installed the new drivers, and the game is STILL crashing on every loading screen. Agh, I can't even get past the opening cut scene!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Corky said:
I guess the keyword is extremely. Looking at 2160p monitors here in sweden. There are two models aimed at medical use.

wouldn't it be more likely he's using dual monitors or tri monitors in eyefinity configuration?

Corky said:

The picture you're building here is so exciting that it pains me to do this, but I don't have a 2160p monitor; I have a 1080p monitor with a hacked EDID. You could say it was for medical use but not in the way you're describing.

This is my medicine:

6221525616_66ac87058c_o.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bloodydrake said:
wouldn't it be more likely he's using dual monitors or tri monitors in eyefinity configuration?

I was under the impression that those kind of setups give you "odd" resolutions because of bezels and all that.

TheOctagon said:
The picture you're building here is so exciting that it pains me to do this, but I don't have a 2160p monitor; I have a 1080p monitor with a hacked EDID. You could say it was for medical use but not in the way you're describing.

This is my medicine:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6157/6221525616_66ac87058c_o.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Ah I see, I was actually going ask if there was something like this in play. Nonetheless quite awesome to be able to do that and take those kind of screens :)

Keep em coming! <3

Mr_eX

Will setting vt_maxaniso to 0 eliminate the screen tearing without having to having to use vsync? I'm getting pretty noticeable input lag when forcing vsync and triple buffering through the drivers.

Is there any possibility of there being less input lag if I have the game vsync instead of my drivers?

Also I'm stupid, yesterday I was saying I was using the 16k config. Turns out I forgot to put the quotes around the config file name when I made it so I was just playing it with the default config. I can run the 16k config but my frame rate is about 10.

54-46! said:
My 4890 1GB can so I'm guessing yes.
bloodydrake said:
JaseC said:
Well and truly. I am also running a GTX 570, and during my cursory tests memory usage in Wellspring went no higher than ~870MB, while the memory footprint of the wasteland is approximately 300MB less.
Thanks all! Considering starting the game this weekend.

Stitch said:
I think high anti-aliasing was the problem. Had it at 8x but 4x seems to be better.
Doesn't make the textures less ugly but the pop-in seems to be gone. :|
This cut mine down significantly. Still there, though, and it's still fucking distracting.

Tokubetsu

Yeeeah, I'm still getting character flickering and just crashed at a loading screen. LOL, last ATI card. Swear to god.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anti-aliasing takes up quite a bit of Vram. I couldn't use 4x without getting significant pop-in. It's fine at 2x, though.

Just played a bit with the new patch and now have a somewhat decent quality with greatly reduced texture pop-ins and somewhat better overall performance running at 2560x1440.

For anyone interested getting this to run on a iMac (i7 27" - 1G Radeon 6900M) here is my config:

rageconfig.cfg
Code:
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

launch options
Code:
+com_allowConsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set vt_maxPPF 16 +r_swapInterval 1

derFeef

Friend of mine told me that he closed RadeonPro and all his problems vanishes (stalls, hiccups etc.) Give it a try guys. Maybe not closing it, but remove the profile for Rage if you have one.

Top Bottom