• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

garath

At least something is happening. Maybe they will finally ship it out Nov 1st as I still haven't heard anything from them. No emails or anything.

I'm certain they either didn't get a shipment they were supposed to - because of Sandy or maybe the distributor f'd up - and they shipped what they could. Now they're just waiting on stock.

My copy is enroute from TN. It was shipped out Monday. But I normally get everything from NJ. So who knows what's going on.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My copy was supposed to arrive today but unless they'll be delivering it late tonight, I don't see that happening. It's still in transit. I'm really excited though. Can't freaking wait to play some.

Amazon says they shipped my copy this morning...with a delivery date for today. I tracked the package and it just said that a shipping label had been created, lol.

And this is why I just decided to buy the game from PSN last night and will return the package.

I'm certain they either didn't get a shipment they were supposed to - because of Sandy or maybe the distributor f'd up - and they shipped what they could. Now they're just waiting on stock.

My copy is enroute from TN. It was shipped out Monday. But I normally get everything from NJ. So who knows what's going on.

According to Newegg all NJ shipment were handled through the TN dist center for the last two day. And the reason I didn't get mine (which usually come from TN) was I got bumped.

garath

Amazon says they shipped my copy this morning...with a delivery date for today. I tracked the package and it just said that a shipping label had been created, lol.

And this is why I just decided to buy the game from PSN last night and will return the package.

Amazon's majorly behind too. I ordered some computer parts early yesterday and it still hasn't shipped yet. I'm prime and stuff usually ships out a couple hours after I order it. :(

According to Newegg all NJ shipment were handled through the TN dist center for the last two day. And the reason I didn't get mine (which usually come from TN) was I got bumped.

Makes sense. Sucks for the people that got delayed though :(

Salaadin

Mine shipped this afternoon from some place an hour away from me. Right now, its at a place 2 hours away. Theyre going in the wrong direction!!! :p

Why do you say this? I love my Hunter...

Because it seems to be harder than other classes at the beginning. I really like the fact that the cleric can heal for free (I'm super cheap in these kinds of games when it comes to using potions). Plus I have a staff that lets me heal for 200 every time (and you can get healed up to 4 times per cast) so that's pretty nice in the beginning IMO.

Why do you say this? I love my Hunter...

I like mine too, but it is really a challenge to even get out of the first chapter with the Hunter, and it will save people a lot of frustration to just not select the Hunter to start with but rather change into the hunter in chapter 2 when you can freely change penalty free.-

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Because it seems to be harder than other classes at the beginning. I really like the fact that the cleric can heal for free (I'm super cheap in these kinds of games when it comes to using potions). Plus I have a staff that lets me heal for 200 every time (and you can get healed up to 4 times per cast) so that's pretty nice in the beginning IMO.

I guess that's true. Hunter is NOT an easy class at all. It's very finesse based given how you need to setup positioning on a lot of encounters.

That being said, I intend to play the shit out of my Hunter and switch only later on after rocking my Hunter like mad.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Solo Mage Impressions: Early Chapter 2 Version!

WTHeck, WHY A MELEE MAGE?!?: Took me a while, but y'know, his melee is basically the swings of a spell evoking motion. It makes sense; this game is very efficient in it's spread of skills and abilities. Instead of having 3 abilities that all do the same thing, you have 1, and knowing how, and WHEN to use each is where the depth of the game comes from.

Also, it makes sense with the Dainsleif system. You need constant attacks in order to maintain health, and traditional "target and cast" mechanics would leave the ability as a poor match to a "traditional" Mage.

Note, Your elemental attacks DO matter. It's not HUGE at this point in the game, but you'll be doing more damage, if you hit an enemey with a weakness. Probably also more chance for effects to fo off, on enemies with weaknesses.

Please, LEARN YOUR DEFENSE!: You have no block as a Mage. Know why? Because that's how Ragnarok Online is! "Flee" was the defensive stat you depended on as a Mage. Avoiding attacks is your best defense.

Thankfully, the aerial movement, strafind around a lock on target, and "[ ]" Button Dash system in this game are well set. Enemies work under the same gameplay systems as you; they have a lot of "tells" for their attacks, get stuck in wind-up, and can be staggered.

You can "[ ]" dash-cancel out of basically any attack, even jump-cancel out of most. This is important! It basically means you're never out of control. If you get hit, it's your fault!

Also, take now of the "charge O" ability, which I believe buffs your defense / lowers damage you take. (Should be like Mage Wall from RO)

Ok, so what's my plan of attack?: This game, in all ways, emphasizes knowing how to play. You'll get you character killed if you're not aware of their abilities, and those of the enemy.

• Your Attacks inflict status effects!: Ice attacks have a chance to freeze, which will stop an enemey cold in their tracks. Fire attacks can burn, which do Damage of Time. Not sure if "Shock" does anything here.

• Pestering with Soul Strike (Neutral O): This is the main method of dealing with weak ground mobs. This easily crushes weak mobs, can be done from safety, and basically give you access to a full-screen projectile, by shooting enemies into each other. You can avoid a of damage this way.

• Launchers are a Mage's best friend! Your launcher (Direction Input + "O) is also very important. You're safer when fighting in the air, and enemies who are combo'd in air, into an "O" finisher, will conveniently slow-float before you, perfectly setting up the final blows. It's a fairly guarenteed way to land damage, and since you have such great aerial AOE attacks, it lets you deal lots of widespread damage easily.

• Air Dash And Attack!!: Air Combo enders (Like "/\ /\ O" Heaven's Driver, and "/\ /\ /\ O" Storm Gust) can be achieved a lot faster and safer than ground enders. The Ground ones are meant to be used only when you have a very strong grasp on the situation, such as being far away, or having the enemy stunned. The Aerial versions can hit UNDER you, so jumping right over an enemies hit area, and casting the spells, can have you launching "safe" AOE Damage very swiftly.

• Learn the Jumping attacks!: "/\, O" is unique in the air, at being a quick straight fireball. It's great for hitting bosses and tall enemies, and can light enemies on fire for DoT damage. Tap "O" is the under-body firesphere. This smashes aerial enemies down to the ground, has a high chance to stagger standing enemies, and can be dashes out of afterwards. Hold "O" in mid-air in the falling body flare, which has you divebomb into the ground, while on fire. Great to use after the Firesphere crashes someone down, but it has a lot of REAL recovery, unlike most other stuff, which can be dash-canceled safely.

• Double Spells (Charge final "O" in combos) as a grand-finish!: Yeah, don't spam these. Use primarily while enemies are staggered / far away, or maybe while you're VERY confident in Dainsleif mode. They let you do some nice damage on multi-part enemies and big groups. But the normal combo-enders are usually all you need for regular fights.

• Lastly, take note of the lvl 2 neutral "O" Charge move, which I believe ups your magic attack damage. (Should be like Mind Charge in RO)

I haven't mentioned abything about Card builds, because, at this point, I'm just using what I find.

All in all, though, I'm having a great time with this Mage; I often hate it when magic users are made in ways that exempt them from a games more fun elements (Combos, Lots of hits, Enemey-positional / controlling gameplay), but this Mage is a perfect fit for this system.

The intricate details of the game systems is very refined in this game. I love how intuitive and sensible things feel, once you get used to them.

Bought this on PSN, played around a bit as a Mage and an Assassin. I like it, though I'm still iffy on how all the systems work.

ZeroAKA

How exactly does the Near function work in this game? I know that there is a 5 card download limit, but what happens when you try getting a sixth? Does one of your old cards get overwritten or are you permanently blocked from downloading any more?

Toki767

I switched to a Swordsman last night. So much easier than Mage. Solo'd the Orc King without dying or using potions with ease!

Solo Mage Impressions: Early Chapter 2 Version!

WTHeck, WHY A MELEE MAGE?!?: Took me a while, but y'know, his melee is basically the swings of a spell evoking motion. It makes sense; this game is very efficient in it's spread of skills and abilities. Instead of having 3 abilities that all do the same thing, you have 1, and knowing how, and WHEN to use each is where the depth of the game comes from.

Also, it makes sense with the Dainsleif system. You need constant attacks in order to maintain health, and traditional "target and cast" mechanics would leave the ability as a poor match to a "traditional" Mage.

Note, Your elemental attacks DO matter. It's not HUGE at this point in the game, but you'll be doing more damage, if you hit an enemey with a weakness. Probably also more chance for effects to fo off, on enemies with weaknesses.

Please, LEARN YOUR DEFENSE!: You have no block as a Mage. Know why? Because that's how Ragnarok Online is! "Flee" was the defensive stat you depended on as a Mage. Avoiding attacks is your best defense.

Thankfully, the aerial movement, strafind around a lock on target, and "[ ]" Button Dash system in this game are well set. Enemies work under the same gameplay systems as you; they have a lot of "tells" for their attacks, get stuck in wind-up, and can be staggered.

You can "[ ]" dash-cancel out of basically any attack, even jump-cancel out of most. This is important! It basically means you're never out of control. If you get hit, it's your fault!

Also, take now of the "charge O" ability, which I believe buffs your defense / lowers damage you take. (Should be like Mage Wall from RO)

Ok, so what's my plan of attack?: This game, in all ways, emphasizes knowing how to play. You'll get you character killed if you're not aware of their abilities, and those of the enemy.

• Your Attacks inflict status effects!: Ice attacks have a chance to freeze, which will stop an enemey cold in their tracks. Fire attacks can burn, which do Damage of Time. Not sure if "Shock" does anything here.

• Pestering with Soul Strike (Neutral O): This is the main method of dealing with weak ground mobs. This easily crushes weak mobs, can be done from safety, and basically give you access to a full-screen projectile, by shooting enemies into each other. You can avoid a of damage this way.

• Launchers are a Mage's best friend! Your launcher (Direction Input + "O) is also very important. You're safer when fighting in the air, and enemies who are combo'd in air, into an "O" finisher, will conveniently slow-float before you, perfectly setting up the final blows. It's a fairly guarenteed way to land damage, and since you have such great aerial AOE attacks, it lets you deal lots of widespread damage easily.

• Air Dash And Attack!!: Air Combo enders (Like "/ / O" Heaven's Driver, and "/ / / O" Storm Gust) can be achieved a lot faster and safer than ground enders. The Ground ones are meant to be used only when you have a very strong grasp on the situation, such as being far away, or having the enemy stunned. The Aerial versions can hit UNDER you, so jumping right over an enemies hit area, and casting the spells, can have you launching "safe" AOE Damage very swiftly.

• Learn the Jumping attacks!: "/, O" is unique in the air, at being a quick straight fireball. It's great for hitting bosses and tall enemies, and can light enemies on fire for DoT damage. Tap "O" is the under-body firesphere. This smashes aerial enemies down to the ground, has a high chance to stagger standing enemies, and can be dashes out of afterwards. Hold "O" in mid-air in the falling body flare, which has you divebomb into the ground, while on fire. Great to use after the Firesphere crashes someone down, but it has a lot of REAL recovery, unlike most other stuff, which can be dash-canceled safely.

• Double Spells (Charge final "O" in combos) as a grand-finish!: Yeah, don't spam these. Use primarily while enemies are staggered / far away, or maybe while you're VERY confident in Dainsleif mode. They let you do some nice damage on multi-part enemies and big groups. But the normal combo-enders are usually all you need for regular fights.

• Lastly, take note of the lvl 2 neutral "O" Charge move, which I believe ups your magic attack damage. (Should be like Mind Charge in RO)

I haven't mentioned abything about Card builds, because, at this point, I'm just using what I find.

All in all, though, I'm having a great time with this Mage; I often hate it when magic users are made in ways that exempt them from a games more fun elements (Combos, Lots of hits, Enemey-positional / controlling gameplay), but this Mage is a perfect fit for this system.

The intricate details of the game systems is very refined in this game. I love how intuitive and sensible things feel, once you get used to them.

Hmmm maybe I should play around with Mage again ( love that you can swap class whenever).

Air attacks.... Cancels....Hmmmm.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hmm interesting. Newegg has moved their release dates to the 1st for the regular edition and the 2nd for the mercenary edition.

That's what they told me when I called them earlier in the afternoon. Said it might ship out tomorrow.

I'll probably just wait for it at this point, but there are Gamestops near me that have copies in. Kinda tempted to just cancel my order through newegg and pick it up there. Though I did save 10 bucks on it from newegg so...

Mondriaan

How exactly does the Near function work in this game? I know that there is a 5 card download limit, but what happens when you try getting a sixth? Does one of your old cards get overwritten or are you permanently blocked from downloading any more?
IIRC the manual says that after all 5 slots are used you have to sell one of those 5 items to make room for a new item. Items can be downloaded only once and there is a limited amount of time that they can be downloaded.

I'm not sure what the benefit of sharing stuff on Near is, but IIRC you don't lose the item.

Kazzy

I got a little bit inpatient and decided to get a digital copy. Has anyone else had any troubles downloading the game? I've had a download error code appear several times, and I'm now keeping tabs on my progress, which boils down to me and having to resume the download every time a message appears.

Probably something to do with PSN itself, although I've never encountered this problem before.

BAZINGA!

gqvg5.jpg

(thank you EB Games :)

ZeroAKA

IIRC the manual says that after all 5 slots are used you have to sell one of those 5 items to make room for a new item. Items can be downloaded only once and there is a limited amount of time that they can be downloaded.

I'm not sure what the benefit of sharing stuff on Near is, but IIRC you don't lose the item.
Thanks, I must have missed that part in the manual.

Kazzy

What is the general concensus regarding classes? Based purely on looks (and skimming through the OT), I'm probably going to pick either a Hammersmith or Mage

has anyone seen the ign review? How does it compare to the actual game, for those that have it. They really make it sound like it's awfully repetitive.

Mikor

has anyone seen the ign review? How does it compare to the actual game, for those that have it. They really make it sound like it's awfully repetitive.

It's no more or less repetitive than other games in the genre. It's clear that the reviewer was not a fan of the MonHun style games. If you are, however, this game is up there - not far enough in yet myself to give a final judgment, but really liked what I've seen so far. Dumped 200+ hours into MonHun franchise and 50+ in God Eater Burst, and I'm really liking what I've played in RO so far.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmmm maybe I should play around with Mage again ( love that you can swap class whenever).

Air attacks.... Cancels....Hmmmm.

Probably just best to stick with what gels with you naturally, at first, and figure out how to fully use all those tools.

What is the general concensus regarding classes? Based purely on looks (and skimming through the OT), I'm probably going to pick either a Hammersmith or Mage

Swordies are the easiest to work with. Solid Dmg and Def. Can Guard.

Clerics healing is very nice, also an easy start. Nice way to learn the ropes. Can Counter.

Hunter takes finess, with the range attack you expect, but kinda weak at first. Arrow Shower!

Mage is more like a Red Mage, glass-cannon ish. Charge for 2 spell cast at once!

Hammersmith should be all out damage. Haven't played it yet, so can't say much more. Can rev drillhammer for more hits?

Assassin should be all about blunt critical hit damage as time goes on, but haven't heard much.

Eh, the IGN review sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't understand the genre.

If the idea of a MH-style game with Arcadey, twitchy gameplay sounds appealing, you'd probably like this.

There's a demo coming out towards the middle of Nov, though, so if you have doubts, wait for that! (Or hop on a JP account, and get theirs, already available.)

Noi

Extra Quest 2 is... something else. I'm just trying to do part of it for weapon farming, haha.

Anyone playing online right now?

Enron

Banned
At the end of Chap 1 after blowing off work most of the afternoon to play before my vita ran out of charge. Really liking this game, tons of fun.

Anyone else buy the old-school RO swordie kit from the moe tailor sisters and equip it? <3

robot

add my PSN id to the list: trev04. would be great if we can get some gaf rooms going, game is a blast.

and holy moses you can change classes? does that unlock later on or something?

Noi

As I was saying about Extra Quest #2. 12 minutes and many potions later...

8142869641_b5c6c5321b_z.jpg

8142899674_b4414e7278_z.jpg

That felt GOOD.

Quest details:
Fighting Orc King and Orc Hero at the same time. Orc Hero can pretty much wallbounce you with anything he does for a OHKO.

pyrandes

Finished Ch 2 here at work. Damn boss felt tough, but Im sure I just need a few more go rounds to work out the kinks.

Think Ill switch it up to a hammersmith or hunter, perhaps after farming for cash a bit. Desperately low and would want to upgrade the corresponding outfit when i switch over :/.

Enron

Banned
wait, so you guys are getting your LEs from newegg in bubble mailers, but I got my NOT-LE from newegg in the LARGEST BOX EVER? hah, newegg fail.

Noi

Gonna open a room to assist the folks who've started playing today. To join in, just head to the Tavern and search for this room:

Room name: GAF
Password: vita

Join in for online shenanigans! Just look out for the guy playing dead on the floor.

I'm straitening out the box under about 17 artbooks... I don't want to deal with sending it back and trying to get another one. Oh well...

Playing the game now! I didn't get a Poring card. :(

Kazzy

Gonna open a room to assist the folks who've started playing today. To join in, just head to the Tavern and search for this room:

Join in for online shenanigans!

I may take up on that offer!

OmegaZero

Holy shit, I had forgotten what a colorful Vita game running at native res looked like.
So good.

You can't play a mission online that you haven't gotten to in single player, but whatever you do online carries over to single player.

Awesome, thanks.

Join in for online shenanigans! Just look out for the guy playing dead on the floor.

Gah, I would but my roommate is downloading something using our internet.
I'm pretty sure that will cause me to be as laggy as a Poring's response time.

Top Bottom