• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What would I need to like to like this game? Any apt comparisons? Monster Hunter? I'd love a long and deep game on my Vita, have no idea about this series though.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 is one of the best action-RPG's ever created, as well as one of the greatest portable games ever made; but it's not available on Vita, so I sure hope this game fills the void until PSO 2 comes out on our favorite portable device!

I think this is definitely going to be a great game (my copy is still en route) but PSO2 still hasn't been confirmed for the west :( We can only hope for now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What are the differences? Can you only finish it in MP/everything soloable?

You can solo everything (including the tavern quests which are equivalent to online MH quests). The game isn't as survival based (you don't gather and carve and such), but you do have to craft just about everything you want. The fighting style is slightly more arcade feeling - it's a great combination of arcade and MH style. It feels a bit like PSO2 combat if you've played that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You can solo everything (including the tavern quests which are equivalent to online MH quests). The game isn't as survival based (you don't gather and carve and such), but you do have to craft just about everything you want. The fighting style is slightly more arcade feeling - it's a great combination of arcade and MH style. It feels a bit like PSO2 combat if you've played that.

Progression is also item based? Like stuff you craft makes you stronger (based on items you need to search), and harder to find items make it even better or anything else?

Is there much content here? Anyone who already played through it?

Edit: Thanks btw, much appreciated.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Progression is also item based? Like stuff you craft makes you stronger (based on items you need to search), and harder to find items make it even better or anything else?

Edit: Thanks btw, much appreciated.

On phone, so sorry if my posts are bad haha.

Yeah, item based progression. No experience or leveling. It's all about fighting harder and harder monsters and collecting spoils to craft more and more stuff (including consumables).

Also, a big strategic element to the game is the card system. Monster cards drop as you kill the monsters. They have stats and bonuses that you equip to your gear (like attack up, def up, AP up). Your gear has a capacity that you can upgrade for more cards. Each card has an equip value (like 5, 10, 15, etc). You initially have say 30 points of equip. Upgraded may be 35, 40, and so on. +9 gear gives max points.

Gear can be upgraded, too. At certain refinement, the skills that are hard embedded in gear changes (or can change). So like, a sword may have innate attack boost level 1. Once you upgrade it to +9 or whatever, the skill may change to attack boost level 2 or defense boost, etc. So you play to upgrade and craft new and stronger sets of gear that caters to your play style and situations.

Hopefully this makes sense, haha. Again, phone posting is tough.

E: Not sure on how hard the end-game monsters are. DLC is coming I guess that will add harder hunts?

Concept17

Just started in on Chapter 2 and can now change jobs. Not sure I care to though, enjoying the swordman, and I kind of enjoy sticking to one class. Everything has been pretty strait-forward so far, aside from a Giant I could hardly touch.

I'm wondering about the big giant guy I came across in the first chapter. You had to collect some stuff from crates where you fight him. (up on the big plateau) I fought him for awhile, but ended up finishing the gathering quest and didn't get to finish him off - is there a quest coming up to fight him, or should I redo that quest to go find him again?

B.O.O.M

Just started in on Chapter 2 and can now change jobs. Not sure I care to though, enjoying the swordman, and I kind of enjoy sticking to one class. Everything has been pretty strait-forward so far, aside from a Giant I could hardly touch.

I'm wondering about the big giant guy I came across in the first chapter. You had to collect some stuff from crates where you fight him. (up on the big plateau) I fought him for awhile, but ended up finishing the gathering quest and didn't get to finish him off - is there a quest coming up to fight him, or should I redo that quest to go find him again?

You are not gonna be able to win against him...not yet. I'm sure he is a boss in a later stage.

Salaadin

Finally got my Amazon shipment notice. Estimated delivery of Friday but I have a feeling thats just a safety date because its being sent out from a city one hour away.

Foxix Von

Newegg still hasn't shipped mine. If they don't ship or send an email to me by the time I get back from work, I'll have to contact them and pester them until I get it send to me x_X

I might have to do the same. I'm getting kind of impatient and if I don't get confirmation soon I'm worried I'll be permanently screwed out of the collectors edition =/

Noi

The giant (Grendel) shows up again later. You'll get your chance to take him down
:)

I might have to do the same. I'm getting kind of impatient and if I don't get confirmation soon I'm worried I'll be permanently screwed out of the collectors edition =/

Isn't their warehouse got hit by Sandy? I don't know it's the appropriate thing to do to push them to send you a game while they're trying to recover from damage.

B.O.O.M

Started downloading RO a while ago.
Still downloading. Going to take 300 minutes. :/

Stop having fun without meeeeeee.

It was the same for me...took me only (well compared to 300mins) 1.5hours. It suddenly jumps in progress level later in the download

HANG IN THERE!

Foxix Von

Isn't their warehouse got hit by Sandy? I don't know it's the appropriate thing to do to push them to send you a game while they're trying to recover from damage.

Looking it up on Wikipedia they have at least 3 warehouses including one in California which is the one I've received items from in the past as I live on the west coast. I'm not sure how their distribution model works and I don't want to pressure them after reeling from a hurricane, but I'm pretty sure that Cali warehouse isn't flooded. They are however a business and all I want to know is if I'll be able to receive my item or if I should shop elsewhere, which seems fair enough to me.

I can!

Room: GAF
Pass: vita

Thanks for the help. I am convinced the hunter just sucks against that orc king. I mean I am sure I could beat him in a really looooong arduous battle, but he doesn't hit for much at all.

Oh well after that match I leveled up and got some goods that should help out. Be on tonight to join you guys. Def. online is the way to gi with this.

As did I. I said fuck the $10 off, I'd rather have my game and zero headaches. That's worth about $10 when it's all said and done, haha.

yep same here I had the $10 off and cancelled it monday when I didnt get a shipment notice. Just went to Gamestop and picked a copy just now. Gotta save and do some MP stuff for Liberation and I'll be right there! huzzah!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Where did you end up getting it from and did you get the Merc edition

I had put a preorder in at GameStop the day it was announced for US. I got the text saying it was in and was happy I never cancelled it. I just got the regular version. No need for swaggy cards.

I really wish I could counter in the air ;~;

indeed. Clerics seem kinda bad for boss battles due to that.

Any orc king tips? I beat him once, but I feel like i won by luck. Can't seem to find any opening, can get 1 hit off before he's ready to hit again and i have to dash away. :(

Agh!! What to do ? Cancel my Merc edition and grab at GS or wait.

I had put a preorder in at GameStop the day it was announced for US. I got the text saying it was in and was happy I never cancelled it. I just got the regular version. No need for swaggy cards.
I felt the same way now I'm just pissed about losing the 10 off

ttocs

Agh!! What to do ? Cancel my Merc edition and grab at GS or wait.

I felt the same way now I'm just pissed about losing the 10 off

Really depends how much you want the extra junk. I usually think the extra stuff is cool for a day and then forget about it so I'm more than willing to take convenience of a digital download or a store bought regular edition over a collector's. But, others might like to collect that sort of stuff. Depends what you are into.

demonkaze

so ordered my merc edition from Videogamesplus.ca (importing to uk) and my order is still just processing, anyone who ordered from there had theirs shipped yet?

Enron

Banned
so, my non-LE just came in from newegg. LOOK AT THE MONSTER BOX THEY SENT MY TINY VITA GAME IN.

8142332661_8cdaa93d02_b.jpg

Was this really necessary, newegg? hahaha.

Finally arrived from Amazon/UPS. I'll take back all the grief I said to them over the past two days.

Got my PORING CARD!

XSeed, you gotta sell these cards someday! I want them all.

Can't wait to start after lunch.

Iresecia

Neo Member
My copy was supposed to arrive today but unless they'll be delivering it late tonight, I don't see that happening. It's still in transit. I'm really excited though. Can't freaking wait to play some.

ttocs

My copy was supposed to arrive today but unless they'll be delivering it late tonight, I don't see that happening. It's still in transit. I'm really excited though. Can't freaking wait to play some.

A lot of packages and delivery services got messed up because of Sandy. Just add a day or two onto the estimated delivery time and that will probably be when you get it.

Foxix Von

Hmm interesting. Newegg has moved their release dates to the 1st for the regular edition and the 2nd for the mercenary edition.

Roubjon

Hmm interesting. Newegg has moved their release dates to the 1st for the regular edition and the 2nd for the mercenary edition.

At least something is happening. Maybe they will finally ship it out Nov 1st as I still haven't heard anything from them. No emails or anything.

Top Bottom