• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

pyrandes

Switched to a mage... and i kinda like it.

Very glass-cannon, but triangle-triangle-triangle-circle combo really helps when i need to take out a group of mobs fast. Glad to see the touchscreen is used to some extent (ex: potions on the fly without having to fiddle with pressing select to 'open').

However the aerial combos leave her out to dry. I do a simple fire combo and she wants to crash to the earth in a blazing ball of glory (just as, for example, the orc king is about to swat her). That part is a bit annoy, since i cannot dash away fast enough :/. Ah well, I managed to nab the Ogre trophy that Noi posted up earlier.

Perhaps tomorrow Ill be up for some MP missions. If anyone wants to join in my psn is the same as my gaf user. :)

Noi

That is probably smarter. Will jump on tomorrow night and get some people's help. I just wish I could get a new bow!

At least for chapter 1, you basically have to replay stages you can beat for weapon drops, or just refine your current bow at the blacksmith. Both options help!

Do all weapons look the same in this game?

I'm enjoying the gameplay, but not feeling or seeing any carrot o_O.

I guess the reviews are somewhat valid, no gear, no skill progression. This game is fucking weird I tell you!

hmmmm....

Noi

Do all weapons look the same in this game?

I'm enjoying the gameplay, but not feeling or seeing any carrot o_O.

I guess the reviews are somewhat valid, no gear, no skill progression. This game is fucking weird I tell you!

hmmmm....

8140772592_78ee959d55_z.jpg

8140863718_b636d42927_z.jpg

No, all the weapons don't look the same.

Good to know :p

How many different 'maps' are there? Feel like im retreading many same maps. Game reminds me of Dragon Nest.

Oh yeah, game box says 6 classes, are there advance/hidden classes?

Noi

Beat chapter 2. Even got the boss' card for my trouble, how nice.

My Sin is starting to rack up the DPS, I'm liking it.

Edit: Well, don't I look fabulous now.

v2hqQ.jpg

Uzqe1.jpg

Checked the UPS tracking for mine again.. still only saying it left the warehouse, should be here by the first @_@ The wait is killing me.

Lockon

Newegg still hasn't shipped mine. If they don't ship or send an email to me by the time I get back from work, I'll have to contact them and pester them until I get it send to me x_X

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Guys Halp!

I am a Hunter and feel woefully underpowered. Getting past the first chapter seems hopeless. Is there no way to "grind" my way up and become stronger? All the drops I am finding are the same.

Or do I basically have to start over as a different character?

Edit: I'm talking most of my attacks are hitting for 1 HP, and I have to get deadly close just to get 50 HP. I say deadly because a single hit knocks off 100+ HP from my measley 800 HP

I'm a hunter and about to fight the Orc King. My hits do much more than 1 damage. What enemies are you attacking?

Also, I am in LOVE with this game. It's SO fun. I'm really excited to get to the later chapters and start putting together sets for my different classes!

Question about gear with runes - what's the deal? Should I save them for later or sell them (assuming they aren't good)? Do runes have any impact on the weapon other than the skill change at different refine rates? And does head armor (the crafted hats and masks) provide any stat bonus or just aesthetic?

Necrovex

Is there any type of demo for this game? I want to give it a try before I buy it. I have never played any games in this genre before, so I have no idea if I'll like it or not.

bunbun777

Well I bought it. Started with a mage but jumped right to a hammersmith. Reminds me of that other hunting game with monsters, at least a little bit.

Gintoki

Is there any type of demo for this game? I want to give it a try before I buy it. I have never played any games in this genre before, so I have no idea if I'll like it or not.

From the PS blog:

We’re running a little late, but we’re scheduled to release a Ragnarok Odyssey demo on November 13th on PSN. Be ready for lots of monster hunting!

I'm also waiting for the demo.

Mzo

My delivery was delayed, Merc Edition should be here today...

I hope everyone isn't already level awesome while I'm stuck on level ass like a jerk (._. )

Aww :\

How does the online work, using gamertags...?

So it's not enjoyable alone ?

I've felt no need to play online yet and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I'm rocking the cleric for cheap healing, while still packing a somewhat decent punch.

It's a lot of fun to collect cards and see what you can do.

The extra mission in chapter 1 was giving me trouble until I got that special attack with the red crystals. Got the card that speeds up how fast it charges too and I obliterated that damned bear.

I think I might go online for chapter 2. My PSN ID is the same as my nick here.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is the game as repetitive as sign says? I hated monster hunter for that same exact reason.

Gonna second Roubjon on this - if you don't enjoy the grinding for gear and items (rather than levels), you'll likely want to skip buying this for the moment. Give the demo a shot when it drops though.

If you hated Monster Hunter for this reason, then yeah, you probably won't like this game either.

Yeah I have to agree with this as well. It's a game in the vein of monster hunter, i.e. you'll be grinding for stuff. There is no leveling system, add onto that the card system that is famous from Ragnarok Online.

I just don't understand what Colin was expecting - something that wasn't like Monster Hunter? All the previews, import reviews, videos and so on all make it fairly clear that it's similar to MH.. It's like his gripes with the game are because it's not that type of RPG.

Mondriaan

I'm a hunter and about to fight the Orc King. My hits do much more than 1 damage. What enemies are you attacking?
The Orc King has times when he's vulnerable. My shots were doing 1 point of damage when I hit him during his non-vulnerable phases, which seemed somewhat arbitrarily chosen by whomever designed the King.

When he was vulnerable, I was doing more like 30-50, which is still a little low. On the plus side, I found that continuously hitting him while he's vulnerable causes him to dizzy fairly easily.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Orc King has times when he's vulnerable. My shots were doing 1 point of damage when I hit him during his non-vulnerable phases, which seemed somewhat arbitrarily chosen by whomever designed the King.

When he was vulnerable, I was doing more like 30-50, which is still a little low. On the plus side, I found that continuously hitting him while he's vulnerable causes him to dizzy fairly easily.

I'm finding the Hunter to be a challenging class to play, but in all the right ways. The first Extra Mission with the lock of 30 enemies is a real test of skill early on. You have to be SO mobile and precise with your play-style. I'll give the Orc King a stomping over lunch...I played until 2:30 am last night before reminding myself about work at 8 am. :|

filipe

I've felt no need to play online yet and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I'm rocking the cleric for cheap healing, while still packing a somewhat decent punch.

It's a lot of fun to collect cards and see what you can do.

The extra mission in chapter 1 was giving me trouble until I got that special attack with the red crystals. Got the card that speeds up how fast it charges too and I obliterated that damned bear.

I think I might go online for chapter 2. My PSN ID is the same as my nick here.

I've been having SUCH a hard time with that damn thing. Can't wait to figure out what the heck you're talking about (lol) when I get home and try it myself.

Checked shipping; my copy will be waiting for me when I get home. I can't wait! My psn id is grimpadlock for anyone who wants to know

I didn't notice but there was a launch trailer apparently. I'll add it to the OP later. So, I'm still a bit confused - in the trailer it showed quite a bit of armor sets/costumes, does that mean there is way more than the JP wikia says?

Skilletor

PIcked this up digitally as I think it'll be something I'll play for awhile.

Played through the first mission. After playing so many sub native res games on Vita, the difference when one is native res is so noticeable. I think the game looks pretty nice.

I want to play with folks!

Skillzilla81

I've been having SUCH a hard time with that damn thing. Can't wait to figure out what the heck you're talking about (lol) when I get home and try it myself.

Basically I gave up on it for the time being and continued with the story. You get an special attack (that I can't remember the name of) that can make short work of the enemy in that quest.

Noi

"This place looks pretty fancy, kinda reminds me of Glast Hel- RAYDRICS, SHIT."

cEkBu.jpg

Poring (and Poporing) genocide.

Pb0mQ.jpg

Noi

Dude is all about to get in your grill.

E: So I know how to take screenies, but how are you posting them?

That particular encounter could have gone better.

The Flickr app! Pretty godlike, and I could just log in using Google so I didn't have to make an extra account for it.

I am having a blast with this so far. The emote system is fun and being able to type with the Vita's on screen keyboard makes grouping even better.

Last night I was with a group on quest 1-6 (collect 15 of strange empo-something i forget the name) but there was a huge Boss Monkey thing that we spent about an hour wiping too before we realized we just needed to collect the crap around him. I think we could have killed it though.

It was a great boss fight, you could attack different sections of him, to knock off his armor and try and knock him down, and I love the fact that when this huge monster smacked your guy in the face you literally went flying across the map and slammed into the wall ( took extra damage for that too) Really looking forward to higher level quests! My inner OCD child is going to get way too into card customization.

Only complaints so far are that the camera seems to be super close to your character. Maybe it's just because my hammersmith's (Molly-Wop is her name *_*) hammer is ginormous. Second, I wish there was an in-game friends list. I was in a great group last night and at the end I realized I didn't have a way to see the other player's PSN names unless we just told each other via the chat system. I was pretty tired last night when I played so maybe I just overlooked the options for these two things. Regardless, it was a fun time and I plan to make a Gaf room tonight!

tldr; Dis game be good

This post ended up being a lot longer than I originally planned damn.

Mikor

Well just grabbed this essentially blind, aside from that laughable review posted earlier in the thread - I have no experience with Ragnarok Online, but I do love me some Hunting games (played the hell out of many of the iterations of MH, and God Eater Burst) so hopefully this'll be just as good!

PSN is Mikor

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am having a blast with this so far. The emote system is fun and being able to type with the Vita's on screen keyboard makes grouping even better.

Last night I was with a group on quest 1-6 (collect 15 of strange empo-something i forget the name) but there was a huge Boss Monkey thing that we spent about an hour wiping too before we realized we just needed to collect the crap around him. I think we could have killed it though.

It was a great boss fight, you could attack different sections of him, to knock off his armor and try and knock him down, and I love the fact that when this huge monster smacked your guy in the face you literally went flying across the map and slammed into the wall ( took extra damage for that too) Really looking forward to higher level quests! My inner OCD child is going to get way too into card customization.

Pretty sure he has like, thousands of health, hahaha. Thanks to MH, I read the quest description and the completion requirements before I head out. Big monster in my way? Don't feel strong enough yet? GG big dude, ima take off.

That particular encounter could have gone better.

The Flickr app! Pretty godlike, and I could just log in using Google so I didn't have to make an extra account for it.

Oh nice - so I can just take the screenies, upload to Flickr, and then post them here? I neeeeeeed to do this. Thank you!

Noi

Grendel has 40k HP. I don't think a group of 4 at that point in the game is capable of dishing out that much damage in ~10 minutes. :V

Mondriaan

Pretty sure he has like, thousands of health, hahaha. Thanks to MH, I read the quest description and the completion requirements before I head out. Big monster in my way? Don't feel strong enough yet? GG big dude, ima take off.
My rule of thumb is when there is a mob and your hits only do 1 point of damage against it, you should run away and check what the quest objectives are.

Koroviev

Is the efficacy of equipment enemy-specific? It's not very interesting when the best equipment is always the newest/most expensive. Makes the game feel very rigid and linear.

Is the efficacy of equipment enemy-specific? It's not very interesting when the best equipment is always the newest/most expensive. Makes the game feel very rigid and linear.

Doesn't look like it, though I did get a card to add fire element to my weapon, so maybe there's hope.

AwRy108

I really like how quickly you get into the action. Pretty much made my character and was in the first mission within a minute or two killing Porings. I get so tired sometimes having to sit through 30 mins or so in game's openings before I even get to play. So far so good. It looks really crisp too. As someone who loved PSO and that kind of game this one looks like it's gonna be good!

Phantasy Star Portable 2 is one of the best action-RPG's ever created, as well as one of the greatest portable games ever made; but it's not available on Vita, so I sure hope this game fills the void until PSO 2 comes out on our favorite portable device!

robot

Great game so far, really like the fast past combat. Swordsman felt a little bland to me, probably because I'm just bored of the class from other games. Cleric was fun, but switched to Mage and haven't looked back.

Top Bottom