• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

Kazzy

Why would you ever want that? The only positive thing about it is that it has slightly higher attack than other hammers of that level.

I guess it's so that you have to decide between the relative trade-offs between the abilities. Although, it's fairly random, at least in regards to weapons. I have multiple versions of the same named weapons, some have entirely positive traits, whilst others aren't even worth keeping.

I am really enjoying the game but weapon drops seems limited to only a couple of types per chapter so far and doesn't create a great variety in that regard. I am sure things pick up a lot more in chapter 3 on, where I am at now.

Really loving the assassin though. Though I may switch it up and try out another class for chapter 3.

denshuu

Ran into a group of you guys last night running through Chapter 3. Can't remember any names, but there were 'Sup Neogaf' messages everywhere.

The PSN is Orange_Pork. Ursula stuns stuff and never heals.

bhLYb.jpg

eznark

Banned
So I had literally no idea what this game was going in. I picked a hunter. Seems like that may have been a bad idea? I tried doing the "extra quest" right away and got destroyed in a little enclosed monster area. Ranged is kind of useless when you are forced to fight in such cramped quarters.

Pick apart my statement, tell me how to play this game!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I had literally no idea what this game was going in. I picked a hunter. Seems like that may have been a bad idea? I tried doing the "extra quest" right away and got destroyed in a little enclosed monster area. Ranged is kind of useless when you are forced to fight in such cramped quarters.

Pick apart my statement, tell me how to play this game!

Hunter is VERY challenging to play solo. In a group, Hunter is awesome. But, if you're like me and are determined to stick with it, here are some tips I can give.

1) Your best ground combo (arguably) is tri, tri, circle, circle, circle. You can rapid fire this to wreck enemies as they close the gap.

2) Learn and love dash cancelling and running. You can dash between combo hits, so do it. A lot. Also, holding R is important during most encounters.

3) The closer you are, the more damage you do. But as you already alluded to, this is tough...

4) Learn to use your air attacks. Jump followed by circle gives a close up arrow rain attack that is easily spamable. Use it. Experiment with air combos in general, though.

5) Circle launch is very important and can be a life saver. If there's a card or weapon that boosts your launch chance (not sure if there is...), use it. Launch combos can make a huge difference.

6) Did I mention dash cancelling? Seriously...

7) I used cards that raise attack and lower tension gain. Base attack feels more important to me than tension based attack since you're not doing a lot of rapid up close strings like Sins and Sword Warriors. It's up to you how you card...

8) But that being said, do NOT make yourself susceptible to any status effects. Oh GOD - as a Hunter, status ailments are misery. We have shitty defense and need to stay away from the enemy AND keep our health and AP up. It's a tough world for a Hunter early on.

I don't know, there's more...But these are the things that are really helping me at the moment.

Oh, and don't forget that you can TOUCH the potions you want to drink. Thanks again to whoever posted that yesterday...No more shitty select + potion bullshit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Awesome, thank you. I knew literally none of that. Super, super helpful!

Sure thing. Hunter's are a really really tough class to play. Like I said, in a group, you'll feel like you're playing an entirely different class (because you can almost go turret on the enemies). Solo will be a real test, ha.

Also, check out the manual for combos. It does a great job of listing all of the combos and how to execute them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
E: I've been doing it wrong and thinking it was the crystal, haha. Woops.

EE: I think DS is activated by SP gain, which is the red circle...my original response may be right:

Eagerly awaits this answer.

That crystal in the bottom left corner of your screen indicates tension. You noticed how when you enter DS mode, it goes all ape shit rainbow? That's max tension. More tension = more damage.

You build it by executing combos, using tension boosting items, and I THINK the stars you pickup from boxes and enemies raise it, too.

AwRy108

Anyone else having a terrible time with the L-button lock on? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, so if anyone has suggestions, please share them.

Anyone else having a terrible time with the L-button lock on? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, so if anyone has suggestions, please share them.

you hold it down for it to lock on. you hold it down to lock off. dpad left right to swap monsters, up down to swap boss 'body parts'.

i think? might be backwards.

Oh man, really tempted to play this game since I used to rock RO way back in the day... Dagger Assassin FTW! :S

How big is the download?

Salaadin

you hold it down for it to lock on. you hold it down to lock off. dpad left right to swap monsters, up down to swap boss 'body parts'.

i think? might be backwards.

Youre right.

My initial problem with it was that the directions say "Press L" and not "Hold L". I get nowhere when I press it so I just hold it all the time.

denshuu

circular bar near your health.

it fills up and you can go 'vampire mode'.

E: I've been doing it wrong and thinking it was the crystal, haha. Woops.

Tension is that crystal. Tension builds up as you attack enemies and causes the crystal to start glowing/flashing, which allows you to do more damage. The red bar is your Dainsleif Meter, which drains your health but increases your attack power and lets you drain health every hit when you activate it. It's not related to Tension.

Youre right.

My initial problem with it was that the directions say "Press L" and not "Hold L". I get nowhere when I press it so I just hold it all the time.

quick tap l is for centering camera i think. i find that more useful than right stick cuz

fucking modern game controls :(

let me wack and change the camera at the same time damn it!

Mondriaan

I would avoid using the lock-on unless
1. you have no idea where the enemies are.
2. there is exactly one enemy and your plan is to circle strafe it.

When you change the enemy you're locked onto, the next enemy it picks might as well be random. I'm sure there is something deterministic going on, but it's definitely not based on enemy proximity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tension is that crystal. Tension builds up as you attack enemies and causes the crystal to start glowing/flashing, which allows you to do more damage. The red bar is your Dainsleif Meter, which drains your health but increases your attack power and lets you drain health every hit when you activate it. It's not related to Tension.

That's what I thought (hence my re-edit, haha).

tagrat

Hey guys and gals! I finally got a chance to play a little bit last night. Playing a hunter currently, and I am only towards the end of Chapter 1, but I am really liking it. Hope to actually get to play with some of you. Feel free to add me to your friends list. My PSN id is Tagrat. I'm on the East Coast and mostly can play at night time due to work.

AwRy108

I would avoid using the lock-on unless
1. you have no idea where the enemies are.
2. there is exactly one enemy and your plan is to circle strafe it.

When you change the enemy you're locked onto, the next enemy it picks might as well be random. I'm sure there is something deterministic going on, but it's definitely not based on enemy proximity.

Do most people choose to not use the lock-on?

Mikor

Do most people choose to not use the lock-on?

I come from a Monster Hunter background, so I just use the L button camera recenter to get my bearings. In my last session though, I tried the lock-on, and the additional information it conveys such as enemy distance is pretty useful, so I may try to adapt.

Roubjon

How long do you see this game lasting? I'm asking because in Monster Hunter you could play one character for 200 hours and still have stuff to do. I'm not expecting this game to be up to Monster Hunter standards, but is it at least close?

AwRy108

I only use it for bosses and "subbosses" like HillGiants.

...but the lock-on cursor turns Red when you're able to hit an enemy with a juggle attack--isn't this important info. to know? Other than intricate visual cues, is there another way for know when an enemy is staggered?

KooPaL

Got this on Wednesday and have been playing solo since Sandy hit us pretty hard. We now have power so please add me PSN: KooPaL-

I am now on the grendel mission and i can break two of his bracelets but dont know what to do after lol.

Mondriaan

...but the lock-on cursor turns Red when you're able to hit an enemy with a juggle attack--isn't this important info. to know? Other than intricate visual cues, is there another way for know when an enemy is staggered?
If an enemy is easily staggered, you don't really need to know when they're going to stagger.

If not and there's more than one and especially if they have ranged attacks, you're only going to be doing hit and run type attacks anyway unless you're a hunter. If you're a hunter and your weapon isn't fantastic, you're probably screwed. :p

Emitan

I can kill common enemies in a single combo so I don't need it for them.

Noi

So ridiculous sometimes, haha. I wish there was a fusion system of sorts (or a forge ala GW2) to use the shitty cards and weapons we find to try and build better items. I've got a hammer I found with Def Down Lv2 and a trait that makes you more prone to bind. Why would you ever want that? The only positive thing about it is that it has slightly higher attack than other hammers of that level.

Actually... once you get a weapon to +9, you can break the weapon and have it's abilities turned into a card. So in a way, there IS a fusion system.

Noi

There seems to be a delay, and you still can hit dead stuff.

That's for chaining/keeping tension up purposes. Like Billie said, it's not hard to get a feel for when things die, recognize what the death animation is, and notice the blue goodies pop out of them (which happens the moment they die, regardless of animation).

Noi

To people on my friendlist: Send a neat little card your way. I hope you like being immune to stun.

where do you get additional armor? Can you craft it?

You do so after it's unlocked at the tailor, which does so after you reach certain chapters.

Edit: omg desert wolf card, why are you as good here as you were back in RO *_*

8148269667_5b96cc0e81_z.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Rewind.

I thought cards can have different abilities on them? The card counter had a card for trade that I wanted, but it required a Spore card with different abilities than the Spore card I had...

Noi

Rewind.

I thought cards can have different abilities on them? The card counter had a card for trade that I wanted, but it required a Spore card with different abilities than the Spore card I had...

Correct. They can have different sets of abilities, with the sets actually varying depending on the chapter you kill the monster in.

For instance, Spore can have 4 different sets of abilities if you kill one in Chapters 1-3, four different ones in chapters 4-6, and four different ones from the last two in chapters 7-9.

pyrandes

Dat desert wolf card. Freaking sexy abilities on there.
-------
Charging ahead into ch 5. Finished fafnir (that was fun, wasnt expecting him to split like he did and do some heavy aoe spin type move). Didnt see his drops (due to my work break being up), but ill prob be farming him for some mats Im guessing.

Ooh, didn't know about the chapter affecting card abilities. But then again I'm only on Chapter 2. >.>

How long do the trade offers at the card counter last? Do they get rerolled when you go on a quest?

Top Bottom