• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

3-5...

myfacewhen.png

So many Porings!

Quixzlizx

Does anyone know whether the copy of the game that is in the Mercenary Edition Box is identical to a regular copy? I pre-ordered a copy of each version and was unable to cancel the regular one, but the regular one is going to arrive at my apartment first, so I was wondering if I could just open that one and return the copy of the game that will be in the LE when it arrives.

\/\/\/
Thanks

Toki767

Does anyone know whether the copy of the game that is in the Mercenary Edition Box is identical to a regular copy? I pre-ordered a copy of each version and was unable to cancel the regular one, but the regular one is going to arrive at my apartment first, so I was wondering if I could just open that one and return the copy of the game that will be in the LE when it arrives.

Yes it's identical.

pyrandes

Damn you grendel ./shakes fist

Ill have to try the bastard again after work before i decide on farming more items for crafting.

Noi

...Fighting two bosses at the same time? No problem.

Fighting a mob of 8+ Hell Hounds at the same time? FUCK.

8148997922_a39c0cdf67_z.jpg

kiyomi

Holy smokes, my copy has already been shipped apparently, just eight hours after first placing the order.

Hopefully something will be awaiting me when I get back from holiday. :D

Ken

What are some greatsword combos for the swordsman?

So, I liked MH FU & MH tri... should I just get this game already or trust that 72 metacritic?

I think it depends on what you liked about MHFU and Tri. You'll find a much faster-paced combat system here than in MH.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I feel like I should be playing Assassin since they seem like easy mode compared to Hunter. -_-

E: No really...I'm fighting that lizard boss to try and solo him, and doing 1 damage over and over and over again is just insulting.

EE: Oh I get it...To be a good Hunter, you have to be as close as the melee classes. Fuuuuuck that. I know Hunters damage is based on range, but it's disgusting when you have be ON TOP of the enemy to do damage that isn't 1.

Noi

I feel like I should be playing Assassin since they seem like easy mode compared to Hunter. -_-

They can easymode their way through a lot of stuff, particularly bosses that don't spawn minions, but I severely feel the limitations once I'm forced to solo mobs. The High Orc/Orc Chiefs mobs are hell on earth because they have 3x the range I do, and have super armor for their attacks. The wolf mob I posted earlier? Killed me twice before I could take them out, because they wouldn't let me down a single pot.

I can never have enough potions.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They can easymode their way through a lot of stuff, particularly bosses that don't spawn minions, but I severely feel the limitations once I'm forced to solo mobs. The High Orc/Orc Chiefs mobs are hell on earth because they have 3x the range I do, and have super armor for their attacks. The wolf mob I posted earlier? Killed me twice before I could take them out, because they wouldn't let me down a single pot.

I'm definitely bitter about the way ranged damage is handled more than anything. We shouldn't be hitting for 1 just because we're trying to play our class the way it's meant to be played, haha.

Wanny

I think it depends on what you liked about MHFU and Tri. You'll find a much faster-paced combat system here than in MH.

Well I like this kind of combat in action RPG games (MH, Dark souls, etc). Is online fun? I think I'm more interested to know if online is fun and the game isn't boring. Might as well buy it since I don't think I'll buy anything else on my Vita for a while lol

OmegaZero

Italic text means you're pressing the button while you're in midair.

Triangle>Circle>Circle (hold)>Triangle>Triangle>Triangle>Circle

A basic launching combo that kills most low level enemies (assuming they get launched), but knocks them back onto the ground if it doesn't kill them. Use the midair portion of this combo as a basic aerial combo to deal chunks of damage to flying enemies or to stay in the air for a longer period of time.

Triangle>Triangle>Circle>Circle>Circle

A good combo to use when you want to deal large amounts of damage to large enemies, but it leaves you vulnerable due to the amount of hits.

More to come as I remember them (not playing RO at the moment)

I'm definitely bitter about the way ranged damage is handled more than anything. We shouldn't be hitting for 1 just because we're trying to play our class the way it's meant to be played, haha.
You should mess around with Mage. It's different, but one can play range quite nicely.

I feel like an idiot, smack down moves do crazy damage. Kinda wished I took advantage of that ages ago.

branny

Out of all the kinds of games I've played like this one, I think Ragnarok Odyssey does hunters/archers the best. The closest comparison I can think of is Tsuruhime from Sengoku Basara.

90% of playing a hunter in Ragnarok Online is basically luring things into Ankle Snare then Double Strafing, lol. Or Blitz Beating, I guess. The other traps are more for PVP, especially once you get 190+ ASPD. I'm glad they are totally different in this game. (Actually, if anyone's played Priston Tale, archers in Ragnarok Odyssey compare more favorably to the ones in that game instead of those in Ragnarok Online.)

Yeahhh, I actually think this is where the game's battle system shines the most. Assassins are quick and powerful, but that's offset by their need to constantly thrust themselves into danger.

I've been having tons of fun playing more or less exclusively with mage (go figure, my favorite class in RO is Sage/Professor...battlesage, to be more specific), but, like other classes, it can be pretty tricky to solo mobs if you don't abuse your strengths.

There is so much to keep track of in this game as a mage, and I love that. You have to pay close attention to your surroundings, facing direction, and even the damage you do (for staggers). You need to know how fast your different animations are both in air and on the ground when it comes to tackling different kinds of monsters. Launching or knocking weaker enemies back into groups and walls is also something that must always be in the back of your mind. The whole risk/reward charging up thing (and all the jump canceling) reminds me a lot of how it feels to play a mage in Dragon's Dogma, actually.

The talisman also gives you damage and crit bonuses for doing well in battle, so playing smartly is rewarded. In other games like this, you can plow through everything like a barbarian, but there's a lot less incentive to have finesse. In Ragnarok Odyssey, sometimes your survival depends on style. And that doesn't even include your last ditch effort, DS mode, which is another great risk/reward mechanic. If it didn't sacrifice your HP and talisman bonuses like it does, it'd be broken. It's very much the equivalent of a bomb in shmups, a "get out of jail free" card that nukes your score and must also still be used with caution.

I don't really even want to get online. It's too much fun finding the best ways to solo mobs. :D

Picked up AC: L and NFS:MW on Tuesday and really love both of them, and i was debating all week weather to get RO too. It's Friday, just finished work, so frack it! I picked it up. Tried MH a few times, never really got into it so I hope i'll enjoy this one more. So if anyone wants to play with semi noob, add me! It's a good week to have a Vita, that's for fucking sure.

PSN ID: MaximusPrimus

Kazzy

My word, chapter 4 is quickly becoming a chore. There is only so many times that I can face off against palette-swapped giants, so dull!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You should mess around with Mage. It's different, but one can play range quite nicely.

I feel like an idiot, smack down moves do crazy damage. Kinda wished I took advantage of that ages ago.

I might try it at some point. I'll be building an ultimate set with all classes eventually. :p

Out of all the kinds of games I've played like this one, I think Ragnarok Odyssey does hunters/archers the best. The closest comparison I can think of is Tsuruhime from Sengoku Basara.

90% of playing a hunter in Ragnarok Online is basically luring things into Ankle Snare then Double Strafing, lol. Or Blitz Beating, I guess. The other traps are more for PVP, especially once you get 190+ ASPD. I'm glad they are totally different in this game. (Actually, if anyone's played Priston Tale, archers in Ragnarok Odyssey compare more favorably to the ones in that game instead of those in Ragnarok Online.)

I mean, if you want to trivialize it, in Ragnarok Online, I played a SinX. That was pretty much EDP win games, haha. TERA did this with Hunters (the closer you are, the more damage you do). It's not a BAD mechanic, but it wasn't treated with much praise in TERA either. I guess I don't mind the idea of it, but it's handled a bit too extreme - give us SOME leeway!

Toki767

My word, chapter 4 is quickly becoming a chore. There is only so many times that I can face off against palette-swapped giants, so dull!

Each chapter will add like one or two new monster types and then palette swap pre-existing monsters. I think playing online is a lot better for just blowing through those early chapters. Plus it makes constantly killing those giants a whole lot faster.

I'm kind of tired of being screwed over by this Gamestop, so I might just go grab a standard copy and play that until I can get my paid-off CE, then return the game in the CE.

the perfect plan

Kurod

Banned
Finally got a chance to play this tonight. Blazed through to chapter 4 but had to put the game down just now only because I needed to let my Vita recharge.

My PSN is kurod007 if anyone wants to add me for some games this weekend.

Got to chapter 3 and killed the giant lizard with ease. But now I feel like I've hit a wall and I cannot beat any more lvls I'm getting killed left and right by the Raydrics and spores.

Mzo

So, is there a way to level up/grind at all? I made it to the chapter 1 boss and got freaking destroyed.
All I did was upgrade my sword once before that fight. Learn his attacks, dash in and dash out. He was pretty easy, but I have played rather a lot of monhun.

So, still no update from UPS. Talked to them and Newegg again and still nothing. This is freaking ridiculous, now I have to wait till monday for any updates because ups is closed on weekends. Such bullshit man. . Other gafers are getting their copies, even having them ship FROM NJ? Mine needs to go to NJ, makes zero sense why they keep delaying it for no reason. Ugh, so mad :( I just want to play the game :(

So, still no update from UPS. Talked to them and Newegg again and still nothing. This is freaking ridiculous, now I have to wait till monday for any updates because ups is closed on weekends. Such bullshit man. . Other gafers are getting their copies, even having them ship FROM NJ? Mine needs to go to NJ, makes zero sense why they keep delaying it for no reason. Ugh, so mad :( I just want to play the game :(
I'm totally in the same boat... just a different area, I guess! Waiting for the store to open still... I assume you got the CE, right? Two Pennsylvanians waiting for their Ragnarok Odyssey Swanky Mercenary Editions and dying to play. ):

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
And then I do things like run 3-7 and get a total of 4 times on my Hunter. I think I need to stop bitching and play like that more, ha.

I'm totally in the same boat... just a different area, I guess! Waiting for the store to open still... I assume you got the CE, right? Two Pennsylvanians waiting for their Ragnarok Odyssey Swanky Mercenary Editions and dying to play. ):

Yup I got the merc. ed. with the coupon, making it a really sweet deal. Funny thing is, I do live in Philly now but I got it shipped to my parent's place, just to be safe. What a joke, UPS is up and running here in PA, they were on wednesday. The infuriating thing is that newegg refused to resend it, because it's still in transit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I beat 3-10, but not without being OHKO from Grendel's belly flop. How do you dodge that?

Oh, and he dropped two weapons! Neither a bow :(

Top Bottom