• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

Besides some curseable moments, the chapter 2 boss wasn't that bad for my gimped hunter self. Sure took forever as I was whittling down its HP, but still feels good to beat a boss by actually taking it down.

So I went from assassin to cleric for a chapter, then tried to go back to assassin and man do I feel underpowered. Lol. Gotta relearn assassin tactics.

OmegaZero

Not trade per say. Might be able to send one through Near though?

Aw.
Oh well, I'll try near then.

Also, screw you, hunter hating-bosses. Just defeated that Chapter 2 boss, and I was doing an average of 60 damage per hit at almost point-blank range.

OmegaZero

That's because its a chapter 2 boss. Get to chapter 5. Hell even 4.

So you're saying later chapters get better as a hunter?
Also, I can't seem to dash cancel as a hunter. I can only dash between individual moves in a combo.
Or is that what is meant by "dash canceling"?

EDIT: Oh, things get worse.
Yay.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've been playing this on and off for a couple of days, I'm about halfway through chapter two, and my progress just feels stunted, for lack of a better word. Synthesizing new items is one of my favorite things to do in RPGs, but I feel like I'm on a really short leash due to the slow drip of new items and the feeling that the upgrades gleaned from refining weapons/clothing are kind of small for how infrequently I'm able to perform them. I don't like how strictly "tethered" I am to chapter progress on the whole. Does the game ever open up more in terms of customization?

Honestly, there are a lot of other aspects of the game that I'm finding underwhelming or tedious so I'm considering just quitting, but if there ends up being a high degree of customization for weapons and outfits that might be something that can keep me interested because that scratches one of my big RPG itches. I'm growing a bit weary of looting so much stuff only for most of it to be useless at present. In exchange for there being no leveling, I want to be able to do lots of fun things with my spoils.

I should really stop blind-buying games as I'm just not an ARPG/single-player MMO/whatever-you'd-call-this kind of person anyway

Sykotik

I've been playing this on and off for a couple of days, I'm about halfway through chapter two, and my progress just feels stunted, for lack of a better word. Synthesizing new items is one of my favorite things to do in RPGs, but I feel like I'm on a really short leash due to the slow drip of new items and the feeling that the upgrades gleaned from refining weapons/clothing are kind of small for how infrequently I'm able to perform them. I don't like how strictly "tethered" I am to chapter progress on the whole. Does the game ever open up more in terms of customization?

Honestly, there are a lot of other aspects of the game that I'm finding underwhelming or tedious so I'm considering just quitting, but if there ends up being a high degree of customization for weapons and outfits that might be something that can keep me interested because that scratches one of my big RPG itches. I'm growing a bit weary of looting so much stuff only for most of it to be useless at present. In exchange for there being no leveling, I want to be able to do lots of fun things with my spoils.

I should really stop blind-buying games as I'm just not an ARPG/single-player MMO/whatever-you'd-call-this kind of person anyway

I'm at chapter 6 or 7 and I feel the same way. Other than this, the combat is repetitive and attacks have almost no weight to them, I've fought 4 boss types, the rest are basically re-skins. Quest design has been boring, enemies have been boring, loot has been boring. All-in-All I'm pretty disappointed.

Toki767

yeah, think im on that same mission. tried it, died after 10-15 min, and said 'thats enough for tonite' :/

makes me wonder what the 'bronze grendel' is like over in the extra missions....

Oh I'm on Chapter 8. This would be the 3rd time I've had to deal with him.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I'm rockin the Whisper Mask. But I only recently realized that you can dye your masks/headpiece.

8152937009_1e2deacbc0.jpg

This made me lol

8152964540_3a4dd6b21c.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So the 4-10 boss fight with a Hunter? The big bird thing? Probably one if the easiest bosses yet. Slow, but super easy. That was a nice surprise.

Also, the Orc King card is boss. Tension Up Lv1 and High Tension. <3

Noi

So the 4-10 boss fight with a Hunter? The big bird thing? Probably one if the easiest bosses yet. Slow, but super easy. That was a nice surprise.

Also, the Orc King card is boss. Tension Up Lv1 and High Tension. <3

You should get on my friendlist. I've been distributing good cards once per day via near. :p

Kurod

Banned
Haha. Just beat Fafnir and I was not expecting that in the middle of the fight.
Cut the damn lizard in half and all of a sudden he's jetting around being propelled by the purple poison/blood coming out

He also dropped a nice sword which I immediately refined to + 3.

ve9rq.jpg

ZeroAKA

My Near usage has increased by at least 500% ever since I got this game. By the way, does anyone have any Splash Potion cards or anything else that they'd like to share? I haven't found much worthwhile loot. :/

Wanny

Wow it is quite a solid VITA release. IGN are smoking crack.

They can still give Gaylo 10/10 anytime they want, theyve never been my most favorite review site.

Gintoki

They can still give Gaylo 10/10 anytime they want, theyve never been my most favorite review site.

Wut.

Anyway, was going to get this in two weeks to play it with my brother and friends, but decided I'll just get it now. Gonna play solo till they get their copies.

depward

Tension increases damage. Initially, I thought it was slightly useless for a Hunter. I was mistaken!
Whoa. As a hammersmith THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

*goes to change card equips*

Also q:

Two hammers. One is about 15 less attack power.

100 atk = level 1 hp, level 1 atk
85 atk = level 2 increase stun rate, level 1 freeze ailment

I like the idea of hammer #2... But I'm not noticeably stunning enemies faster / more often nor freezing them at all.

Kazzy

It has taken until chapter 5, but I can honestly say that I'm enjoying it now. Before it was a combination of it being online that pulled me through, and it being a somewhat unique experience for the Vita, but the missions were repetitive. Now there seems to be much more of a challenge, and the boss encounters are much more frequent.

Mikor

Whoa. As a hammersmith THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

*goes to change card equips*

Also q:

Two hammers. One is about 15 less attack power.

100 atk = level 1 hp, level 1 atk
85 atk = level 2 increase stun rate, level 1 freeze ailment

I like the idea of hammer #2... But I'm not noticeably stunning enemies faster / more often nor freezing them at all.

That early in the game you should focus on raw damage output as a Hammersmith, imo. Status effects don't come into major play until later chapters, and at that point you'll be using newer/upgraded gear.

Are there any tips for when you get swarmed? I'm finding if I don't have danslief I can get boned, like that chapter 2 red tears quest when they lock you in with 2 bears and a bunch of wolves. Am I missing something or is it just that way?

Also, psn is itsnervedamage.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Someone is playing the Asian version of the game on Near. All the characters are in Chinese language but the items still work on the NA version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cool, appreciate the advice!

Yeah, Tension will become more important later one when there's loads of groups of enemies. The way you REALLY benefit from Tension is when you have a group of Wolves or Ants and you combo them all at once. More combo = more Tension = more damage. Early on, worry about raw power and defensive stuff.

Top Bottom