• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

Noi

So I beat 3-10, but not without being OHKO from Grendel's belly flop. How do you dodge that?

Oh, and he dropped two weapons! Neither a bow :(

His sweat is a beacon for his belly flop. If you get hit by it, he'll home on you. If not, he'll just jump up and land in place. Basically, learn what the start of his sweat tossing animation is, and run away before it starts.

If you DO get hit by it, dash *towards* him and pray.

Thanks for sharing the Orc Hero card Noi!

I had a feeling you guys would appreciate it. :)

depward

Just doing some 1-9 runs with randoms; amazing how many times they get KO'd.

Can't find it, but does this game have like a Monster Hunter type guild card? Stats like how many sp quests you've done, how many mp ones, weapons used on quests, etc. Can't find anything like it but wanted to make sure.

Noi

The reward is HUGE, but the challenge is equally as huge.

Also, LOL at extra mission 2.

The later Extra Missions make Extra Mission 2 seem like regular ass story mission.
KuGsj.gif

What am I doing wrong against Grendle?y hits are like 10-50 damage. I'm an assassin, and cleared all the other chapter 1 missions with no problems.

Noi

Derp. I can't read.

But I'm pretty sure I broke all the barrels but the mission didn't end. Am I supposed to leave that area?

There's another section with barrels you probably didn't go to. If you break all the barrels up the point (except for the explody ones if you're a melee job) where you reach him, you should be able to finish the quest with his. Otherwise, you can leave and find them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So who the fuck designed mission 4-3? Who ever thought a room full of stub-locking wolves would EVER be fun? 3 damn KOs in that room.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any things I should keep in mind while playing as one?

Read this first: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=43887370

And I can add a little to that now that I've been playing more.

The most important thing is still dash canceling. It's basically exactly what it sounds like - use your dash between combo moves to get the hell out.

Also, whilst it comes off as a ranged class, damage is seriously improved at melee range. It sucks, it's counterintuitive to how a RANGED class should play, and our low def makes it infuriating at times, but it is what it is.

Learn to use air combos strategically (read: to avoid attacks), but remember that some ground enemies can still wreck you while you're in the air.

And like I posted in there, don't ever use a weapon or card that makes you more susceptible to status effects. I can't imagine the trade off is ever worth it given how damaging status effects can really be to your overall mission.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You haven't seen the worst of it. :(

Want me to tag along?

Ugh STUN locking. I hate how the iPhone thinks it knows better than me. Dumb phone.

I was going to crash, but I can't say no to putting that damn mission behind me.

drgoo/vita for anyone looking to do 4-3

Noi

You two made it even easier to kill Orc King on my own and then kill Orc Hero while his mobs were distracted. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Awesome. I'll try all of that out.
Sounds high-risk, high-reward.

Oh it is - very very much so.

You two made it even easier to kill Orc King on my own and then kill Orc Hero while his mobs were distracted. :p

Haha - yeah...To be honest, this game is SO multi-player biased. I'm OK with that, but they NEED to fix the netcode. I died in that fight because every 8-10 seconds, my screen would freeze for 1 second and jump up to where the fight was. I know it's not my connection, so it's just shitty and something that comes with the territory.

But in other news, I got a pretty rad new bow from that fight, so thanks!

Kurod

Banned
Been trying out the mage and it's lots of fun except in very specific circumstances where you are just flat out fucked. I was doing 4-4 and destroying just about everything...until I get to the part where you're locked in with tons of wolves. Can't cast shit. The hyper armor buff only lasts one hit and the rest of the time I'm being knocked around like a rag doll. DS mode was great for vaporizing a bunch of them but they kept coming after it ran out.

Is there a wiki or something to explain things like tension. The manual has nothing on it or most of the game mechanics for that matter

Kazzy

Is anyone being a Hammersmith? I'd like to know how they play compared to the other classes.

Smash, smash, smash!

I really like the class, and it makes the game fairly easy to solo. You get some good combos (exploit the air) and your launcher and overall power makes you ideal for mobs. Your are essentially a steamroller.

Smash, smash, smash!

I really like the class, and it makes the game fairly easy to solo. You get some good combos (exploit the air) and your launcher and overall power makes you ideal for mobs. Your are essentially a steamroller.
How does one avoid damage though? Windup isn't cancelable, so I tend to get hit a lot as hammer.

Might need to watch a video.

Kazzy

How does one avoid damage though? Windup isn't cancelable, so I tend to get hit a lot as hammer.

Might need to watch a video.

Don't hammer the buttons, like you say, the windup is quite long, so if you are continually transitioning into another attack, you will be stuck. I pretty much do must of my fighting the air, which your one hit circle attack acting as the launcher.

Just dash where necessary, and your circle combos have a tendancy to stun (or launch) most enemies, so you get a feel as to where you can simply wade in. Because you are so slow, activating 'vampire mode' can effectively kill you, if you time it wrong.

There is some nuance to it, but if you're in a group, you have free reign to tank.

denshuu

Is anyone being a Hammersmith? I'd like to know how they play compared to the other classes.

This is the one class I've never seen online.

Assassins are literally every other character, I usually get teamed up with another Cleric, Swordies and Mages are around, and I've probably seen two or three Hunters. Never seen a Hammersmith before, and I've pretty much been playing multiplayer exclusively. It looks pretty cool, too. If guard countering wasn't exclusive to the Cleric, I'd probably play one.

Mikor

I'm playing a Hammersmith, just hit Chapter 3 playing solo except for 2-7. Switched to a Hunter for one mission, was the first and last mission I failed. Even beat the Orc King first time I fought him. Extreme damage output and very "consistent" in how it plays. It's very different from the other melee classes based on what I've read in this thread, especially the long animation times for each move and the lack of animation canceling with the dash, but careful observation of enemy animations telegraph their moves with enough time to clear out. Just don't get greedy for hits.

Most important thing to remember as a Hammersmith for his combos is pressing and holding Circle (without pressing the analog stick) will engage the drill at the end of a heavy attack, and with knockdown moves the mobs are essentially pinned to the floor while you unleash a large amount of extra damage.

I'll update this post with some screenshots once I transfer them onto the PC.

PSN is Mikor if you'd like to smack things with hammers sometime!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had no idea you could do a server backup. Rad! Also, I'm up to 10.5 hours played. I haven't put that much time into a non-MMO in a long ass time. So good!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yup I got the merc. ed. with the coupon, making it a really sweet deal. Funny thing is, I do live in Philly now but I got it shipped to my parent's place, just to be safe. What a joke, UPS is up and running here in PA, they were on wednesday. The infuriating thing is that newegg refused to resend it, because it's still in transit.

Mine finally shipped, but I only bought the standard version. Right now it is in Secacus, NJ, shipped from Edison... which makes no fucking sense because it's North of Edison and I'm in Philly. Surely there was a closer USPS processing center closer, right? This is the price I pay for free shipping. Oy.. I knew I should have just canceled the order and tried my luck at a Gamestop. But oh no, I had to save 10 dollars.

Halo 4 is coming out and then Persona in two weeks, I dunno when I'm even going to find the time to play this...

switched to a swordsman to handle the raydics in 3-4/5 now I think I'm gonna try a hunter

Yeah I just did the Kona Hrgaelvsr (however you spell that damn name, the giant bird with the big tail as a metal ball) as a hunter. So. damn. hard.

Holy hell. It took me like 15 minutes for soloing.

Emitan

Yeah I just did the Kona Hrgaelvsr (however you spell that damn name, the giant bird with the big tail as a metal ball) as a hunter. So. damn. hard.

Holy hell. It took me like 15 minutes for soloing.
I struggled with that fight as a Cleric but that might have been because I spent a lot of time whiffing attacks on its tail.

Roubjon

I'm playing a Hammersmith, just hit Chapter 3 playing solo except for 2-7. Switched to a Hunter for one mission, was the first and last mission I failed. Even beat the Orc King first time I fought him. Extreme damage output and very "consistent" in how it plays. It's very different from the other melee classes based on what I've read in this thread, especially the long animation times for each move and the lack of animation canceling with the dash, but careful observation of enemy animations telegraph their moves with enough time to clear out. Just don't get greedy for hits.

Most important thing to remember as a Hammersmith for his combos is pressing and holding Circle (without pressing the analog stick) will engage the drill at the end of a heavy attack, and with knockdown moves the mobs are essentially pinned to the floor while you unleash a large amount of extra damage.

I'll update this post with some screenshots once I transfer them onto the PC.

PSN is Mikor if you'd like to smack things with hammers sometime!

That sounds more like playing Monster Hunter than the other classes, so I'll probably pick that. I should have the game by Tuesday next week, so I'm looking forward to it.

Mikor

That sounds more like playing Monster Hunter than the other classes, so I'll probably pick that. I should have the game by Tuesday next week, so I'm looking forward to it.

A GS user would feel right at home with a Hammersmith, with the way the animations go. Just as a point of reference for you, as a MonHun veteran.

Mondriaan

I think at this point cleric is probably the easiest class.

Launching isn't hard to execute- probably easier than with a sword warrior, and the healing aura means being able to save a whole bunch of potions. It also means being able to wreck explosive barrels and collect what's inside without caring too much about getting hurt.

It doesn't hurt that the best weapon I have is a mace, though. I will probably switch classes again anyway when I find a new best weapon (unless it's a bow).

Noi

Solo Chapter 8 as an assassin is suffering. So many mobs. This has to be karmic retribution for being able to breeze through the early game.

Top Bottom