• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

LogicStep

I'm looking to get a vita game and I'm looking at this one. So is it a good game? Looks fun but ign gave it a bad score. I actually do go to ign to look at scores, sue me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm looking to get a vita game and I'm looking at this one. So is it a good game? Looks fun but ign gave it a bad score. I actually do go to ign to look at scores, sue me.

Review scores on Vita games is a bit of a ... touchy issue. Rule of thumb: Add 10-15 points to the score on an out-of-100 scale.

Just noticed IGN gave it a 5.0, wow. And even more so, the reviewer didnt actually finish it?
It took me about 50 Ragnarok Odyssey quests before I finally gave up on the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

The problem with RO is that it's NOT for everyone. The IGN review was poorly written on all accounts. You have to look at the game from a genre perspective. If you were to base the score on the genre the game is trying to be on the system it's on, I'd say it is more on the 8/10 range. The camera can be a bit screwy sometimes, there are a few WTF moments in difficulty (getting stun locked by 6+ enemies at once), the netcode is washy sometimes, and the crafting curve is a bit slow. But otherwise, the game is a FANTASTIC and fresh take on the Monster Hunter formula.

Saying the game is repetitive/grindy is NOT a fair con...That's part of what Monster Hunter, God's Eater, and PSO/PSU style of game are. If anything, that's a con to the genre and shouldn't even be on your radar if you don't enjoy that style.

Sorry about the disconnect. It said there was an aplication error when we entered that first room and put me in single player mode. Went back to look for the room again but didn't find it again.

I ened up recreating it, but no one joined. Maybe later we can get together again.

Sucks man. Hope your copy arrives pronto :)

Wish I knew which company was handling my delivery, already shipped so guessing its not UPS by the sounds of it?

Yeah it's probably not UPS, it seems USPS and Fed-ex are fine, for some reason UPS's shipments into the tri-state regions are completely fucked - at least on my end view of the whole situation. I see trucks out on deliveries though, so who knows why my copy has been put on hold for so long :\

Pangya

I finally found a Leg Biter with Lvl 3 Crit Power and Lvl 4 Crit Power on it after 2 hours of farming. Now for the tedious process of RNG to get both Lvl 5 and extract...

maybe gamestop will stop fucking up and i'll be able to finally get my copy tomorrow

Mine is still sitting in the dump that is New Jersey.

Lmao that's why I moved out of NJ, although Philly isn't much better. Anyway, south Jersey is pretty nice, but anything above Cherry Hill or Blackwood is pretty much a dump yeah. Also WOAH MY PACKAGE LIVES!

11/04/2012 18:14:00 ARRIVAL SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ, US

WTF HAPPENED? It really was in transit? Aw man that means it might be delivered tomorrow! Ugh the only problem is I can't pick it up from my parent's place until like.. thursday or saturday :( I work all day, every day all week barghhwahegrhrhghrh

Also the trophy list for RO was uploaded to ps3trophies:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/ragnarok-odyssey/trophies/

Lmao, several don't even have descriptions though.

Teknoman

The only thing I dont like about hunting games is that I never seem to have time to set aside for playing MP...unless its really late at night.

I got to chapter 7 and the extra quests you unlock drop awesome loot. Hp Up Lv5 + some hammer skill for 15 cost? Yes please.

Early on the best card has to be Lazy Bebe, for 5 cost it improves your health regen rate, which effectively renders poison and burn useless against you. Everyone should equip one as far as I'm concerned.

Really liking the game so far. Does anyone know of a good spot to get emveretarcon? The amount you need to level up a single weapon is just too much.

Also I've been stuck at 55 capacity on my costume for far too long. Anyone know where to get the required item to upgrade? I don't remember the name...

Mikor

The only thing I dont like about hunting games is that I never seem to have time to set aside for playing MP...unless its really late at night.

There's lots of us in the same boat as you Tekno - perhaps in the OP we can compile a list of Hunters along with "regularly available playtimes" so those of us in similar timezones/playtimes can coordinate play?

Posted this before but always looking for more to play, I'm in Eastern Time (GMT -5) and am usually available during evenings/late nights. PSN is Mikor

DemonNite

anyone playing the imported NA copy in Europe? how is it holding up? i really want to play this and we still have no solid date

deimian86

Banned
Bought this game in Canada, US version played on my european PSN account, but the trophies are in japanese! Why neogaffers?

Euro-account + US game version = problems to play online? I've got only a japanese copy of Dokuro, don't have online options, so I don't know.

Playing only 30 minutes and I can see that the game is better than the 5.0 IGN review.

Bought this game in Canada, US version played on my european PSN account, but the trophies are in japanese! Why neogaffers?

In 30 minutes I can see that the game is better than the 5.0 IGN review.

RPGfan gave it a 70, that is about right. Since it won't be for everyone and that score reflects that perfectly.

Quick question. Do all costumes have the same expansion path? As in, do they require the same materials to expand?

'Cause I'm stuck at 55 with the merchant outfit (great at the beginning if you want to switch classes, since you only need to expand one costume that everyone can wear). I really need some help getting the last material necessary, cause I'm pretty sure I've missed it by now.

Noi

Quick question. Do all costumes have the same expansion path? As in, do they require the same materials to expand?

'Cause I'm stuck at 55 with the merchant outfit (great at the beginning if you want to switch classes, since you only need to expand one costume that everyone can wear). I really need some help getting the last material necessary, cause I'm pretty sure I've missed it by now.

All the costumes have different upgrade paths (as in, same increments, but different materials).

I find upgrading outfits as you go not only gives you more capacity but makes expanding easier.

Noi

Good to know. I think I should try a different outfit then.

To elaborate, some outfits require less upgrades overall than others. The early outfits start at lower capacity, but the later ones start at higher capacity to make up for how late you get them. They all cap at the same number though.

So if I own a Vita, I can pop Porings? I may have to reconsider.

And Drops, and Marins, and Poporings!

To elaborate, some outfits require less upgrades overall than others. The early outfits start at lower capacity, but the later ones start at higher capacity to make up for how late you get them. They all cap at the same number though.

Thanks. And what number is that though?

Mondriaan

I find upgrading outfits as you go not only gives you more capacity but makes expanding easier.
It's always tempting to use materials on new outfits when they become available, though.

Outfits also come with a skill card, but the skills on those cards don't seem particularly slot efficient.

Noi

It's always tempting to use materials on new outfits when they become available, though.

Outfits also come with a skill card, but those skills don't seem particularly slot efficient.

It depends on the outfit, the job you have and when you get it. I play Sin, and the Thief card gives you Double Attack lv.1 and poison attack lv.1.

I equipped that shit ASAP.

100. Or at least, I'm pretty sure it is. I have an armor at 95 with a full bar, but the game is still letting me do one more expansion.

Yeah I'm giving too much advantage at chapter 8 with 55. I'll definitely try upgrading a different costume when I play again.

So Noi when are you gonna free up some friend spots so we can add you? :)

Also since we are talking about costumes. How many different costumes are there for each class? I've heard there is a 3rd set( excluding the basic ones).

AwRy108

Saying the game is repetitive/grindy is NOT a fair con...That's part of what Monster Hunter, God's Eater, and PSO/PSU style of game are. If anything, that's a con to the genre and shouldn't even be on your radar if you don't enjoy that style.

Saying the game is repetitive is absolutely a fair "con": as others have mentioned, the game drips out rewards at a friggin' glacial pace; and, on top of this, the few systems that do actually exist are poorly/never explained, so unless you lurk on forums, you're probably missing some key things. I'm on Chapter 2, and the only enticing loot I've found has all been "Near" gifts. Granted, I haven't played tons of the game yet, but it sure isn't headed down a very great path with me right now.

Also, the combat is very "mashy" mixed with constant dodging, especially since many of the enemies have unbreakable attack animations that appear well before you're able to stagger and juggle them. Cheap, not challenging.

I played hours and hours of both PSP and PSP2, and they never manage let up on that all-so-soothing morphine drip of loot, upgrades, and quests. So far, Ragnarok not only feels incredibly repetitive, but light years behind when compared to other, older games in the genre. I was seriously psyched for this game, but now my enjoyment level is luke-warm at best. If PSP2 was available on PSN, this game would be dead to me; and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

I do have a question, too: I see that the tailor has several outfits for sale--is there any point to me buying one of them other than appearance? I'm currently playing as an assassin.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Saying the game is repetitive is absolutely a fair "con": as others have mentioned, the game drips out rewards at a friggin' glacial pace; and, on top of this, the few systems that do actually exist are poorly/never explained, so unless you lurk on forums, you're probably missing some key things. I'm on Chapter 2, and the only enticing loot I've found has all been "Near" gifts. Granted, I haven't played tons of the game yet, but it sure isn't headed down a very great path with me right now.

I played hours and hours of both PSP and PSP2, and they never manage let up on that all-so-soothing morphine drip of loot, upgrades, and quests. So far, Ragnarok not only feels incredibly repetitive, but light years behind when compared to other, older games in the genre. I was seriously psyched for this game, but now my enjoyment level is luke-warm at best. If PSP2 was available on PSN, this game would be dead to me; and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

I do have a question, too: I see that the tailor has several outfits for sale--is there any point to me buying one of them other than appearance? I'm currently playing as an assassin.

To your bolded - sometimes, there's an equipped card in them that you might like. Later, you can equip any of the outfits you'd like for cosmetic purposes alone. At the moment, you probably can't do that. I think it's chapter 4 that gives you that option.

To the rest - is this your argument for Monster Hunter as well? PSP, PSP2, PSP2i are different genres. I probably shouldn't have referenced them, but they fall into a somewhat similar genre. MH and GEB are more like RO and should be the comparative games.

Also, things are seldom well explained in games like this (I'd say mediocre at best). It's about the exploration of and overall curiosity (along with the community of players to help share what they learn) of the system and intricacies that help it blossom.

And loot - loot is something I would agree is a bit slow, and crafting isn't as rewarding as it could be. Crafting is very static (just as it is in MH games...). Loot is based around finding either new weapons and upgrading them to +10 (to turn it into a card with the skills you found on it) or finding cards that fit your goals. The loot is there, but it's not really handled as well as it could be.

The game isn't perfect, as I stated in my comment. But to gripe about this game being "grindy" is silly since that's the style of game it is. The same people who bitch about MH and GEB being grindy are the same people who shouldn't be playing this game, haha.

sYrYO.gif

they finally have my copy ready for pickup, lucky lucky~

Sera O

Banned

I bought it off the Can PSN and have the same issue. Seems XSeed knows about it and is looking for a fix. Link to XSeed forum thread.

Anyone who'd like to add me please do: PSN volpanic (if you've run into gelnika the bumbling cleric, that would be me). If you want to multi I'm on at night, usually around 8-12 Pacific time. I switch what I've got on Near often and I'm on chapter 4. I find multi super-fun, but nothing beats successfully soloing a boss.

This is my first try at this type of game and it's really addicting.

That c3 Grendel fight was funny. Itchy ass!

Upgrading seems slow, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. It's hard to tell which skills are more useful and what the practical result would be sometimes - I'll have to check a faq or something.

Top Bottom