• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

If by rogue you mean assassin, attack his shoulders and break them, then aim for the head.

Protip: Against the bigger bosses, you can keep jumping up as high as you want.

Stay away from his face,,heck stay away from anywhere 'between' his shoulders.

You see those spikes on his shoulders? Hit them and break them. Once you break the spikes on both his shoulders THEN go for his head from behind. Will do some major damage. Rinse repeat. oh and when he goes on his knees to do he jump attack, stay air born or you are screwed.

Holy. Shit. Well I broke the shoulders this time and he moved so freaking much I could never get to the back of his head. And when I did he did something and it flung me so hard i flew into the wall and took 2000+ damage. Mannnnn

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Holy. Shit. Well I broke the shoulders this time and he moved so freaking much I could never get to the back of his head. And when I did he did something and it flung me so hard i flew into the wall and took 2000+ damage. Mannnnn

I love when I get thrown towards a wall, jump cancel the animation, but still continue flying towards thew all (fuck you momentum), and take a fancy 1500+ damage. <3

Also, getting OHKO'd by bosses is always fun.

Mondriaan

I love when I get thrown towards a wall, jump cancel the animation, but still continue flying towards thew all (fuck you momentum), and take a fancy 1500+ damage. <3

Also, getting OHKO'd by bosses is always fun.
On the other hand, sometimes it might be better to just hit the wall than to do multiple aerial recoveries and get repeatedly smacked by the same giant rush that sent you flying in the first place.

My immediate reaction to being sent flying is to tap the x button followed by an immediate aerial dash, though, giant rush or not.

So i had it to the point where it said "The Giant is really weak" or whatever in all read. Then this asshole goes full cheap mode and does the jump 5 times in a row and destroys the wall.

What in the everloving fuck.

Noi

So i had it to the point where it said "The Giant is really weak" or whatever in all read. Then this asshole goes full cheap mode and does the jump 5 times in a row and destroys the wall.

That guy does not want you to beat him, haha. I know I beat him in less than 3 minutes once I knew how to fight him, though I'm an Assassin.

On the other hand, sometimes it might be better to just hit the wall than to do multiple aerial recoveries and get repeatedly smacked by the same giant rush that sent you flying in the first place.

Yup, learned that the hard way... "Haha, I recovered, what do you think of tha--ow ow ow quit it!"

Sera O

Banned

LOL that guy is such a dick. I have a hard time damaging him fast enough, even once I know how to avoid being immediately killed by him. Maybe bringing some yellow potion stuff would have helped. I had to get some online help to help me beat him in time.

Are there many more of these
gotta take the giant down before he bashes down the gate
missions for me to dread look forward to?

OmegaZero

I find that anything but a hunter hurts for that quest. Playing as melee classes would always get me burned and dying, but hunter let's me kite my way to victory. I can help you or anyone that needs help on certain quests. PSN is strigau.

Funnily, I beat it as a Sword Warrior on my first try (and I hope I never have to do anything like that again). What was your general strategy as a hunter? Combos, build focus, ect?

I find that anything but a hunter hurts for that quest. Playing as melee classes would always get me burned and dying, but hunter let's me kite my way to victory. I can help you or anyone that needs help on certain quests. PSN is strigau.

I have the opposite problem with my cleric. They barely touch me, but I can't manage to kill them all before running out of time. I'll do a special build and try again sometime.

Sera O

Banned
Assuming you just beat
the ice giant
, then there's one more to look forward to with an annoying twist.

Phew. One more - hopefully it won't break my spirit like that huge nordic metaller did. I'm wary of this annoying twist you speak of. . .

Update: I switched to a hammersmith and beat his ass. Fuck you Ice Dude. Fuck your shoulders. Fuck your head. Fuck your special attack. Fuck your Ice Spikes that follow you. Fuck your energy jump. Fuck. You.

OT Makers... Let's talk about proper font usage and readability.

You mean the class headers or the entire body of the OT? I can change it easily if it's that hard to read - I thought that font was fancy but not too crazy. In fact I wanted to condense the class portion a bit somehow, maybe have a slimmer picture of each class together or something. I felt like they were too long.

Sera O

Banned
You mean the class headers or the entire body of the OT? I can change it easily if it's that hard to read - I thought that font was fancy but not too crazy.

Generally, any script-style font comes out strangely in all-caps because of spacing issues and weird ornamentation. That "fight the giants etc etc" part is almost totally unreadable to me at least. Either change the font or don't do it all caps - that might help.

Update: I switched to a hammersmith and beat his ass. Fuck you Ice Dude. Fuck your shoulders. Fuck your head. Fuck your special attack. Fuck your Ice Spikes that follow you. Fuck your energy jump. Fuck. You.

Even hearing about him getting beat down makes my eyes narrow with glee. This is what that fight did to me. Good job.

Kurod

Banned
So I noticed that slamming an enemy into another enemy below will cause them to contract status ailments based on the first enemy you hit.

Example: I managed to air juggle an ice giant and slammed it down on a leshy which promptly froze the leshy in place.

Foxix Von

So I noticed that slamming an enemy into another enemy below will cause them to contract status ailments based on the first enemy you hit.

Example: I managed to air juggle an ice giant and slammed it down on a leshy which promptly froze the leshy in place.

I... what. That's awesome. What class are you playing as? As a mage I'm not sure I even have any attacks that can force an enemy downward.

Kurod

Banned
I... what. That's awesome. What class are you playing as? As a mage I'm not sure I even have any attacks that can force an enemy downward.

I usually play Swordsman or Hammersmith. Yeah I don't think the mage class has any means of slamming down again other then maybe towards circle from the air.

B.O.O.M

Yep. I did it a lot in chapter 9. Ice giant into a hill giant is win. If you can hit the guy to go flying into another it's the same result

You mean the class headers or the entire body of the OT? I can change it easily if it's that hard to read - I thought that font was fancy but not too crazy. In fact I wanted to condense the class portion a bit somehow, maybe have a slimmer picture of each class together or something. I felt like they were too long.

skyghenewalkthrough3.png

I have no clue what that says. All caps is a bad idea for script fonts. Just go with something simple. The game is using a Serif font. Try that if you want it to match.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To get off font talk: Which of the three demo-classes is good for solo play? Sword Master (even steven), Assassin (rouges do it from behind?), or Cleric (Tank)? I'm guessing Sword Master but are the other two classes worth trying out?

Noi

To get off font talk: Which of the three demo-classes is good for solo play? Sword Master (even steven), Assassin (rouges do it from behind?), or Cleric (Tank)? I'm guessing Sword Master but are the other two classes worth trying out?

Swordmaster and Cleric. The former are the most well balanced, and the latter have a ton of DEF to take hits and the healing saves you a lot of money on pots. Not to mention both are decent at breaking boss parts and stunning them.

Assassin has the best DPS and will easy mode his way through the early game, but as I'm learning the hard way, his lack of reach and stun means solo Assassin later on makes Solo late game Assassin a HELL GAME. I pretty much have to throw myself in the face of danger to do any damage, and mobs just outright destroy me.

Try em all. If you want to play as least as possible Cleric and Assassin .

Cleric is healer. You can block (only other class that can block is hammersmith I think)
Assassin is rogue. Attack fast and dash.
Sword is boring. Attack attack...keep attacking? meh.
Hammer is tank.
Hunter is trash.
Mage is...weird.

Those last 3 arent in the demo though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess I'll go with Sword Master and see how it is before trying the other classes then.

OmegaZero

Sword Masters are what I'd recommend unless you want to try something less straightforward.
Decent amount of damage per hit, stuns enemies fairly easily even late game thanks to the Lv3 charge attack, and has a block move for those times when you don't have a window to evade.

Clerics seem to do less damage per hit, but have high defense and a variety of combo finishers ranging from AOE attacks to rapid-fire blows. They can block too, and if you block an attack right before it hits, you'll counter instead - dealing damage while negating any to yourself.
Healing without potions is nice too.

Hammer Smiths have slow, powerful attacks and combo finishers that they can extend by spinning their drill-hammer as they slam it into an enemy. They're fairly slow and can't block, however.

Assassin's have the highest damage-per-second, but they can't break parts as easily or stun enemies to compensate. I can never launch enemies with them since my launching attacks tend to kill enemies before they get stunned.

Mages have a variety of elemental attacks in their combos ending with a powerful ranged-ish spell as a finisher (depending on which move you start branching from), but their regular blows do little damage. Holding O during a finisher will allow you to chant an incantation that powers up your spell if completed successfully. They also have three levels of charged attacks but the final levels don't hurt enemies at all and instead give you buffs.

Hunters are pretty counter intuitive, since their attacks have good range but do an amazing 1 point of damage per hit if you hit an enemy at max range. They do most of their damage close up (a sadly mediocre amount compared to the other classes) but make up for it with AOE attacks and rapidfire attacks that have decent stun.
Another support class.

I'd say that if you don't like Sword Warrior, then a Cleric, Hammersmith or Assassin would be a good choice for soloing missions.

Noi

Assassin's have the highest damage-per-second, but they can't break parts as easily or stun enemies to compensate. I can never launch enemies with them since my launching attacks tend to kill enemies before they get stunned.

I feel like a broken record, but understatement of the century. I did one of the later Skoll/Hatii missions, only hit them in their wing for the entirety of the battle, and they died before the thing broke. I was flabbergasted.

LimeD3

Neo Member
Were you able to do the three Ch. 9 "slay 100 giant" quests solo? Any tips? After trying them more with my mage, it seems like kiting + Storm Gust is the best I can do, but it's still not enough to kill everything under the time limit alone.

Stack SP efficiency cards, hp and defense. The improved staff lv 2 for heaven's drive and gravity ball is nice as well.
Bring some SP potions and lots of hp potions.

Use the air combos for firebolt or heaven's drive to build up sp at the start. Save the potions for if you enter an area with 0 sp, besides the start.

When you build up enough sp gather all the giants in the area, try to make sure they aren't charging and then use dansleif mode. Do the Gravity Ball -> Heaven's Drive combo over and over again. Unless alot of the giants decide to charge you for some reason, you should be 100% save and be able to easily kill 10-15 giants in 1 dansleif charge. Just be careful to interrupt your combo and dash away whenever you see more than one giant charge at you. Rinse and repeat, and you'll be done with plenty of time to spare.

OmegaZero

I feel like a broken record, but understatement of the century. I did one of the later Skoll/Hatii missions, only hit them in their wing for the entirety of the battle, and they died before the thing broke. I was flabbergasted.

I play co-op with a friend who mains the assassin, and he can break parts as fast or faster then my sword warrior. Apparently, it's because he uses equipment with double attack and dual strike or whatever those skills are called.

But yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I first tried the assassin and discovered that I rarely, if ever, broke parts.

Kurod

Banned
Found my rarest card yet. An orc chief's card 10 star rarity. The skill on it is called "Chief's Life Lesson Lv.3". It says it boosts hp (900 hp when when tested), defense (30 def in testing), and makes you tougher(no idea what this means). Put it up on near for those of you on my friend's list.

For solo play I really like the cleric. It has some pretty good finishing combos and free healing is awesome even in the end game. You'll save lots of money.

In other news I can confirm that 458 is the max attack a cleric can have before a quest (you can up it a bit with Maximize and the like, during a quest). So pay attention you're not wasting card slots on cards that won't increase your attack anymore.

For solo play I really like the cleric. It has some pretty good finishing combos and free healing is awesome even in the end game. You'll save lots of money.

In other news I can confirm that 458 is the max attack a cleric can have before a quest (you can up it a bit with Maximize and the like). So pay attention you're not wasting card slots on cards that won't increase your attack anymore.

wait there's a max attack cap? BOOOOO

Found my rarest card yet. An orc chief's card 10 star rarity. The skill on it is called "Chief's Life Lesson Lv.3". It says it boosts hp (900 hp when when tested), defense (30 def in testing), and makes you tougher(no idea what this means). Put it up on near for those of you on my friend's list.

Wow, if I add you now will I still be able to see it? :O

Also, I'll edit/change the fonts tomorrow. I did think they looked a bit hard to read when I did them all in caps.. thanks for the input guys.

I should've posted in this thread sooner.

I'm sharing Bear surge (75% crit) and Scavenger hunt (increase item drop) on Near. Feel free to add me: alien_manobo

Mondriaan

I should've posted in this thread sooner.

I'm sharing Bear surge (75% crit) and Scavenger hunt (increase item drop) on Near. Feel free to add me: alien_manobo
Haha, it's about time you showed up in the thread. I'm maxed out on items received on Near. :/

The first thing I'm going to do is pick up the Scavenger Hunt card and use it to find another Scavenger Hunt card. :p

Probably a dumb question - now that I'm in chapter 3 (destroyed the chapter 2 boss, first try), do cards stack? Like two cards that both give an attack buff, or something? I'm sure you guys went over it before but I haven't even tried it yet, I've mostly been trying to have a good balance of everything. I'm assuming they don't :p

OmegaZero

Probably a dumb question - now that I'm in chapter 3 (destroyed the chapter 2 boss, first try), do cards stack? Like two cards that both give an attack buff, or something? I'm sure you guys went over it before but I haven't even tried it yet, I've mostly been trying to have a good balance of everything. I'm assuming they don't :p

Yes, if they give you numerical stat increases (attack+1 and attack+1 will work like attack+2, for example).
EDIT: Other buffs can stack too (like Strong Sanctuary) but discovering the limits will require more experimentation then I'm willing to perform at the moment.

Yes, if they give you numerical stat increases (attack+1 and attack+1 will work like attack+2, for example).
EDIT: Other buffs can stack too (like Strong Sanctuary) but discovering the limits will require more experimentation then I'm willing to perform at the moment.

Oh wow that's interesting then. I'm going to be experimenting more then. I haven't really messed with cards too much but now that I'm getting a lot, I'm going to experiment more.

I'll say it again - man, going from hunter back to assassin is like changing the difficulty to easy mode. I just chew through groups of monsters, the animations are WAY more forgiving than the hunter animations, where there are frequent cool downs and stuff which kept screwing me over.

Wow only 10? Vanilla scavenger hunt cost 20 :/

@mondriaan: Boooooo

Wow I didn't know that. I got mine from upgrading a gold weapon, so I guess it was a good decision to go that route.

Actually 2 Attack Up Lv1 will give a +20 to attack, where a Attack Up Lv2 only +15. So at the beginning of the game when you're limited by space on your outfit it's better to go with 2 level 1 cards. Later on, when you're limited more by the 8 cards max rule, it may be better to use higher level cards.

Mikor

Oh wow that's interesting then. I'm going to be experimenting more then. I haven't really messed with cards too much but now that I'm getting a lot, I'm going to experiment more.

I'll say it again - man, going from hunter back to assassin is like changing the difficulty to easy mode. I just chew through groups of monsters, the animations are WAY more forgiving than the hunter animations, where there are frequent cool downs and stuff which kept screwing me over.

Hunter is really more for dedicated Multiplayer play, it seems like. Probably the hardest class to solo, in my opinion.

The cards really are the heart and soul of the stats in this game - neglect them at your own peril!

Top Bottom