• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

Just finished the game solo. Think I'll take a break from it... not sure if there's anything else to do other than the side missions, which sound awful.

Anyways, great game. The first Monster Hunter clone and it turned out pretty darn good :)

I added some important stuff to the FAQ in the OT, and edited some things in it too. Added some more reviews too. Let me know what you guys think? If there's anything that should be added to the FAQ please let me know.

branny

Just finished the game solo. Think I'll take a break from it... not sure if there's anything else to do other than the side missions, which sound awful.
Were you able to do the three Ch. 9 "slay 100 giant" quests solo? Any tips? After trying them more with my mage, it seems like kiting + Storm Gust is the best I can do, but it's still not enough to kill everything under the time limit alone.

Pangya

The end game is brutal. I already got the platinum trophy, but I'm currently trying to farm mats for the extra quest Fenia costume... The drop rate is ridiculously low, looks like less than 5% for one piece (you need like 9 total pieces).

It takes me around 5 minutes to do the R10 Menia/Fenia quest, so it will take me quite a while to actually get all the mats. However, the combat is so addicting that I keep coming back D:

Ponn

Banned
HAHA, oh wow. I thought I was fighting the boss of Chapter 1 and finally read up and found out I wasn't meant to beat him, just run around him and collect the crates. No wonder I kept running out of time not doing enough damage. Finally got to chapter 2 after beating the real boss a couple quests later.

I'm not really able to upgrade anything and not finding any usable loot. I'm also limited on the cards I can equip. Is there something to upgrading i'm missing or does it get better but i'm feeling like i'm just taking quests and coming back and doing nothing else loot or customize wise. I got alot of stuff in my cabinet but its not clear what the stuff is for, if I should keep it all or what.

Were you able to do the three Ch. 9 "slay 100 giant" quests solo? Any tips? After trying them more with my mage, it seems like kiting + Storm Gust is the best I can do, but it's still not enough to kill everything under the time limit alone.

Not sure how to do it with a Mage. I used a Cleric and spammed that air AOE move (tri tri tri tri circle) once I gathered all the giants on the map. If the move hits them for every hit, the Giants are dead. Most definitely dead with DS mode on.

I think Mages have a similar move (the cold damage one). It'll take longer but it's a lot less risky since the charge doesn't take a full 3 - 4 seconds.

I came out of those missions with 3 minutes left to spare..

HAHA, oh wow. I thought I was fighting the boss of Chapter 1 and finally read up and found out I wasn't meant to beat him, just run around him and collect the crates. No wonder I kept running out of time not doing enough damage. Finally got to chapter 2 after beating the real boss a couple quests later.

I'm not really able to upgrade anything and not finding any usable loot. I'm also limited on the cards I can equip. Is there something to upgrading i'm missing or does it get better but i'm feeling like i'm just taking quests and coming back and doing nothing else loot or customize wise. I got alot of stuff in my cabinet but its not clear what the stuff is for, if I should keep it all or what.

You can probably sell most of the weapons you come across unless one drops with a nice skill combination or attack power boost that you can immediately use. Later chapters will yield weapon drops with better/higher-level skills, so there's little point in hanging on to early-game weapons since they're almost certainly not worth refining into cards (which is very expensive to do).

Hang onto all your materials, especially boss drops. (But if you need quick money and you've got a notable surplus of a decently-priced material, like Rough Elunium, you can sell some of it off... it's not exactly in short supply.) Some of the upgrades call for items that you can only get in later chapters, so it's not unusual to just have nothing to do upgrade-wise; you've just got to press on and eventually you'll be able to improve your gear. Of course you could always get stuff over near, too.

Ephidel

Does anyone have any advice for 3-3's Hjahanir?
I've managed my way through the previous missions with rather little hassle, but this one is trashing me. I generally seem to start out quite well, breaking the fin and damaging him while moving around him and trying to avoid as much direct damage as possible. Then it regrows and I try to start over, but at some point the damage starts rolling in, and I fail at the outlasting game.

Does anyone have any advice for 3-3's Hjahanir?
I've managed my way through the previous missions with rather little hassle, but this one is trashing me. I generally seem to start out quite well, breaking the fin and damaging him while moving around him and trying to avoid as much direct damage as possible. Then it regrows and I try to start over, but at some point the damage starts rolling in, and I fail at the outlasting game.

Just avoid him when the fin is glowing.

branny

Not sure how to do it with a Mage. I used a Cleric and spammed that air AOE move (tri tri tri tri circle) once I gathered all the giants on the map. If the move hits them for every hit, the Giants are dead. Most definitely dead with DS mode on.

I think Mages have a similar move (the cold damage one). It'll take longer but it's a lot less risky since the charge doesn't take a full 3 - 4 seconds.

I came out of those missions with 3 minutes left to spare..
Thanks! If I can't do these with my mage, I'll just switch classes. :(

Just got into chapter 2 and got pwned by pack of wolves. How the hell can I dodge their attacks when they surround me? Playing as a mage is brutal.

Okay, this might sound really really ignorant and simplistic, but is this game pretty much just another take on Monster Hunter or am I missing something?

I don't mean this as an insult at all, I'm just trying to find out what makes the game what it is.

Mondriaan

How are you supposed to defeat 6-10. That one big boss!
I'll put the answer in spoiler tags in case anyone wants to figure it out themselves.

You can reach the head by triple or quadruple jumping, but the head is protected by some sort of force field generated by the shoulder horns. You'll need to break both sides to make the head vulnerable. The shoulder horns will eventually regenerate, though, so make sure you're not still attacking the head when that happens.

If you see 4 crystal shards surrounding you and following, you will need to time a jump so that you're going up just when they shoot toward you. If you see a blue mist starting to form around you, you have to start moving or you'll be frozen. If you see him jump up into the air, you need to move away from him and get up as high as possible.

Doing quests on my own as a hunter... wow is this a completely different game. It's so strange because it seems like if you're outside a certain range, you do zero damage? There are also certain enemies, like the hill giant or w/e (in chapter 2) that I only do 1 damage to no matter what I do.

Doing quests on my own as a hunter... wow is this a completely different game. It's so strange because it seems like if you're outside a certain range, you do zero damage? There are also certain enemies, like the hill giant or w/e (in chapter 2) that I only do 1 damage to no matter what I do.

What chapter are you up to? Run away from the hill giant if you havent gotten the newer giant weapons.

Kurod

Banned

Yeah you just want to avoid him for now. Don't worry there will be PLENTY of opportunities to kill those giants in the future.

Yeah, that's basically the problem with the hunter class. Even though we got range, we can't use it effectively since our damage takes a nosedive if we're too far away. I have found that at least it is good for luring one monster in at a time, if they don't all charge at me and I die a bloody death.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yup - Hunter is like the Hard Mode version of this game. I'm on Fafnir in chapter 5 and taking a short break. He's kicking my ass. The trick to the hunter is two-fold:

1) Learning how to dodge well in conjunction with your animations (both on ground and in air).

2) Mastering air combat.

You have to be close to be effective, but we take a beating and don't have very high damage. Learning to dodge will make your life easier as a whole, whereas learning to use air combos effectively will generally make enemy swarms more manageable. The jump -> circle + forward attack is amazing. It hits the enemy with a rain of arrows and is relatively easy to chain while in air. It also works wonders against bosses - get above their head and rain arrows down.

Overall, Hunter is NOT going to be an easy experience like the Assassin. But it feels pretty sweet when you finally take a big boss out.

E: Worth noting, I've since realized how important it is to have cards that boost tension on a Hunter. AP, defense, resists, etc are great, but getting a boost to tension gain means you can ramp up your minimum damage and make your life a little less painful. If a boss has adds, you can combo them to build tension and then attack the boss while further increasing your tension.

Wow thanks for all the feedback guys - I should have assumed he was one of those current unkillable enemies. I'm on chapter... 2-8 I think. I've always loved ranged classes - I really wish they'd have hunters using pets in RO to handle aggro but I guess that would be counter-intuitive to the system they set up. I just feel so silly hovering in the air all the time, spamming those AoE attacks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow thanks for all the feedback guys - I should have assumed he was one of those current unkillable enemies. I'm on chapter... 2-8 I think. I've always loved ranged classes - I really wish they'd have hunters using pets in RO to handle aggro but I guess that would be counter-intuitive to the system they set up. I just feel so silly hovering in the air all the time, spamming those AoE attacks.

It sucks, but it's the way the class has to be played. It feels smart from the point of "I'm ranged so my arrows will hurt less the further I am," but it just doesn't execute well the way they did it. It's close, but not all there.

I finished the game finally. I had massive trouble with
Fenia and Menia.
The whirlwind seemed to be bugged and kept hitting me while I was down for all my HP even with 230 defense and 7000+ HP it was crazy.

I didn't get what was supposed to be so hard about
Surt
, since I killed him the first time. I guess it was his toughness? Couldn't really find a weakpoint, but killed him in about 15 minutes all the same.

Once you realize you need to jump
the lava attack
the final boss is a piece of cake.

Anyone wanna post his cleric builds? I've been debating how much scorpion armor I should use. I had a build with 700 AP, but it was almost unplayable against the big bosses. Pretty good against mobs though. I went with a lot less HP and attack against the final boss, to get 2300 AP, to be able to stay in the air longer.

8YBaa.jpg

Well that's a little underwhelming.

Ponn

Banned
What chapter are you up to? Run away from the hill giant if you havent gotten the newer giant weapons.

I was killing the Hill Giants with my cleric at the beginning of chapter 2 before getting the brilliant weapon. It took a lot of dodging and running and healing. Don't think I could have done it without the cleric free healing. Took almost all the time limit to, Always had about 5-7 min left to finish the quest.

After I got the brilliant i'm like killing them after a couple combos and going WTH?? Where did they go?

So, I sat my Vita down for a minute and my wife picked it up and was like "can I play? :)" . . This was mid quest, as I was finally trying to finish chapter 2. So I said FIIINNNNEEEEEE. . . . She asked if I needed to save and I said "no, it's fine. . . "

OmegaZero

I don't suppose someone could provide me with a full list of the Extra Quests for the localized version of RO?
I'm trying to figure out which quests made it from the JP DLC ones.

depward

So, after going online and failing about 5 times with five different lobbies of people against Grendal (and was about to rage too - was taking screenshots showing me way far away as he's doing his sweating attack and ALL of my other teammates being hit by it), I said screw it - I'll do this solo.

So I did.

And it reminded me of Monster Hunter very much so. Down to my last life. All out of healing potions. As a hammersmith, I don't have the best DS mode, especially if I can never stagger or stun Grendal. So for about 5+ minutes, I was rushing it, getting a swing in, and dashing out, with a tiny sliver of life, no more lives left and no healing items.

Finally, I beat him!

Gave me that nice rush that MonHun always tends to. Very cool!

Then I proceeded to beat the hell out of Skoll. Woo!

kiyomi

Beat the 3-10 boss solo, turned out to be very easy. Actually the first boss I beat solo, lol!

Can someone inform me as to what tension is? It keeps getting mentioned in game but I don't recall seeing anything telling me what it actually does. Something to do with the blue crystal/gem thing in the bottom left?

I really like the card system in this game. From the relatively little I've played with it so far, it does seem quite flexible in allowing you to really make a character build around what you want it to, and some of the effects seem pretty unusual and interesting. The near functionality is pretty neat too

Beat the 3-10 boss solo, turned out to be very easy. Actually the first boss I beat solo, lol!

Can someone inform me as to what tension is? It keeps getting mentioned in game but I don't recall seeing anything telling me what it actually does. Something to do with the blue crystal/gem thing in the bottom left?

Congrats! Also, tension is the meter that gets filled. eventually letting you unleash Dainsleif mode. Dunno why there's two different names for basically the same thing. I updated the FAQ in the OT with a lot of stuff that I had to do some digging for.

kiyomi

Ohhh. Huh. That's weird. I wonder why they do that. In the manual they refer to it as the SP Gauge.

Well that clears that up then - thanks Scho!

Scratch this lol!

Mondriaan

Congrats! Also, tension is the meter that gets filled. eventually letting you unleash Dainsleif mode. Dunno why there's two different names for basically the same thing. I updated the FAQ in the OT with a lot of stuff that I had to do some digging for.
Tension is separate from SP. SP is shown via that red circular bar/gauge, but tension is reflected by the color of the crystal and goes from blue and changes color as you rack up the combos. Activating your DS will cause tension to reset back to your base tension.

Tension will tend to decrease over time if you're not fighting, though, and this is a bad thing since your hits do more damage when you have increased tension.

kiyomi

That makes more sense, I noticed in 3-9 that after killing tens of ants my character was glowing and there was a little icon next to the name which I think was displaying boosted attack or something?

I just don't see tension explained in the manual at all, odd

OmegaZero

Fuck Chapter 9 as a hunter.
Who thought
fighting 100 giants was a good idea
? In 30 minutes too!

I've barely managed to complete the first three missions (thanks to DM and spamming that arrow rain) but these Flame Giants are just destroying me for some reason. Even with Gigant Break (or was it Charge? Whateever that Flame Giant card skill is) equipped.
And when I do well, I run out of time to complete the mission.
Maybe I'll try it as a Sword Warrior.

Pangya

Fuck Chapter 9 as a hunter.
Who thought
fighting 100 giants was a good idea
? In 30 minutes too!

I've barely managed to complete the first three missions (thanks to DM and spamming that arrow rain) but these Flame Giants are just destroying me for some reason. Even with Gigant Break (or was it Charge? Whateever that Flame Giant card skill is) equipped.
And when I do well, I run out of time to complete the mission.
Maybe I'll try it as a Sword Warrior.

I find that anything but a hunter hurts for that quest. Playing as melee classes would always get me burned and dying, but hunter let's me kite my way to victory. I can help you or anyone that needs help on certain quests. PSN is strigau.

Tension is separate from SP. SP is shown via that red circular bar/gauge, but tension is reflected by the color of the crystal and goes from blue and changes color as you rack up the combos. Activating your DS will cause tension to reset back to your base tension.

Tension will tend to decrease over time if you're not fighting, though, and this is a bad thing since your hits do more damage when you have increased tension.

Wait.... seriously? God I'm so confused now. Stuck at the tail end of chapter 2, as a hunter. Going to puss out and go assassin ;(

Omg i was just destroyed as a rogue against Hrugnir? (Giant Ice Beard) End of Chapter 6 I assume.
I dont think I lasted 3 minutes. Smacked me around like a floozy prostitute.

Any tips?

Toki767

Omg i was just destroyed as a rogue against Hrugnir? (Giant Ice Beard) End of Chapter 6 I assume.

Any tips?

If by rogue you mean assassin, attack his shoulders and break them, then aim for the head.

Protip: Against the bigger bosses, you can keep jumping up as high as you want.

B.O.O.M

Any tips?

Stay away from his face,,heck stay away from anywhere 'between' his shoulders.

You see those spikes on his shoulders? Hit them and break them. Once you break the spikes on both his shoulders THEN go for his head from behind. Will do some major damage. Rinse repeat. oh and when he goes on his knees to do he jump attack, stay air born or you are screwed.

Top Bottom