• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

fuck, not a fan of mage at all. All her attacks are super slow and stationary.

btw: is there a move list or anything, and you can get new skills, or is everything you have at the beginning what ya have for the rest of the game?

Also having a hard time comprehending how the knockback system works. Sometimes baddies react to hits, sometime they don't o_O.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Do I hear Johnny Young Bosch?

I believe you do. And Jamison Price, whose voice I just had to use for my serious, not-at-all-young looking Mage. Hearing him call out RO Spells is too cool, lol. I would have loved to have had the JP voices available too, but I'm happy the US voices are of proper popularity and quality.

I'm really liking the way Mage feels in this game! Won't say too much as I'm not deep into the game yet, but it's a fresh take on the playstyle. THere's little I find as fun in action games, as sending enemies spinning out across the screen, and being able to do that on things 5 times my character's size is incredibly satisfying.

Also, great how much *RO* stuff is in this game. It'd be easy to get a few translated names wrong here and there, or translate throw-away items like trunks and Jellopy's as "Wood" and "Gelatin", for example, but all the in-universe stuff is very familiar and comfortable. The care put into that aspect is appreciated, XSEED!

Badges made of Empirium, smacking around Grizzlys and Marin's, using emoticons that are right out of RO, BEING ABLE TO SIT! (Ok, I didn't have to raise my job level in order to do it this time...), talking to all the proper Kafra girls (Leilah's the best, duh), talking about trade and fashion set by the trends from Capital City Prontera... it's all nice and plesant for any who spent way too much time in the RPG...

Oh yeah, and yays for complimentary Angeling's in our own private suite! Such high class service!

fuck, not a fan of mage at all. All her attacks are super slow and stationary.

btw: is there a move list or anything, and you can get new skills, or is everything you have at the beginning what ya have for the rest of the game?

Also having a hard time comprehending how the knockback system works. Sometimes baddies react to hits, sometime they don't o_O.

- Your neutral "O" is a soul strike! That pushes them back. You also have 2 buffs from charging neutral "O", I believe.
-- Spells have a wide area of effect, and seem to hit very hard early on. Also, use air attacks to stay out of enemy reach.

- Move list is with the Merc Booklet. Maybe in the digital manual as well?

- Knockback works by how worn down you have the enemy. When the cursor around them (during lock-on) is red, you can knock up and back.

Noi

8139789399_4d82da09ac_c.jpg

....This probably won't end well.

It didn't.

I believe you do. And Jamison Price, whose voice I just had to use for my serious, not-at-all-young looking Mage. Hearing him call out RO Spells is too cool, lol. I would have loved to have had the JP voices available too, but I'm happy the US voices are of proper popularity and quality.

I'm really liking the way Mage feels in this game! Won't say too much as I'm not deep into the game yet, but it's a fresh take on the playstyle. THere's little I find as fun in action games, as sending enemies spinning out across the screen, and being able to do that on things 5 times my character's size is incredibly satisfying.

Also, great how much *RO* stuff is in this game. It'd be easy to get a few translated names wrong here and there, or translate throw-away items like trunks and Jellopy's as "Wood" and "Gelatin", for example, but all the in-universe stuff is very familiar and comfortable. The care put into that aspect is appreciated, XSEED!

Badges made of Empirium, smacking around Grizzlys and Marin's, using emoticons that are right out of RO, BEING ABLE TO SIT! (Ok, I didn't have to raise my job level in order to do it this time...), talking to all the proper Kafra girls (Leilah's the best, duh), talking about trade and fashion set by the trends from Capital City Prontera... it's all nice and plesant for any who spent way too much time in the RPG...

Oh yeah, and yays for complimentary Angeling's in our own private suite! Such high class service!

- Your neutral "O" is a soul strike! That pushes them back. You also have 2 buffs from charging neutral "O", I believe.
-- Spells have a wide area of effect, and seem to hit very hard early on. Also, use air attacks to stay out of enemy reach.

- Move list is with the Merc Booklet. Maybe in the digital manual as well?

- Knockback works by how worn down you have the enemy. When the cursor around them (during lock-on) is red, you can knock up and back.

Spells do hit hard, but they take forever, and you have to be in it, to use them efficiently, which = you getting hit hard.

maybe i'm missing something, don't know.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Spells do hit hard, but they take forever, and you have to be in it, to use them efficiently, which = you getting hit hard.

maybe i'm missing something, don't know.

Not too bad, you have super armor, decent crowd control, and a few hits into Heaven's Drive in air sends many weaklings spinng out all around the field. Soul-striking weaklings into everyone else allows you to make your own projectile shot out of all weaker enemies. Also, you can Dash-cancel recovery pretty easily, so once you get the spell out, start moving around!

It might not be the class for you, though. Take the class on until you can switch classes, and then see if something else fits your desires better.

Hunter is probably closer to what an expected Mage would be like, from what little I know of it.

Has anyone tried Cleric yet?

My brother has started one, as a classic Battle Aco / Priest / High Priest player. He's loving it. Sanctuary is slow to start, but is a great way to heal self + others after conflicts, the special counter -> 3 hit burst is great, and he even has a mini-fireball somewhere in there. He's not the strongest hitter so far, but looks to be a great support / self-healing character.

Prinny

I just bought a Vita for this game. YAY!

If I don't like it I'll cry, there's absolutely no other Vita game that I want until Soul Sacrifice.

I just bought a Vita for this game. YAY!

If I don't like it I'll cry, there's absolutely no other Vita game that I want until Soul Sacrifice.

Welcome to the Vitabros/cats/etc :) There are tons of other Vita games you should give a shot - you might be surprised!

I have my copy en route, I'll be able to get it by tomorrow or Thursday.. the wait is going to suck though. I added the Destructoid review to the OT!

JCizzle

Kind of amazing how much better games look on a Vita than via screenshots. I understand why and all that, but it still continues to impress me everytime I boot up a new game.

Noi

Alive one moment.

8139995926_f94d46fb7d_z.jpg

8139965083_acdc000248_z.jpg

Dead the next. Orc King went down like a chump. My new goggles clearly helped.

Onward to Chapter 2!

Noi

Just unlocked the Beauty parlor, where you can get everything about your character's appearance swapped... even your voice.

JYB voice is described as "Handsome Young Man".
KuGsj.gif

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow - just failed the first "Extra Quest" as a Hunter straight out of the intro. I need to learn how this game plays, haha.

E: Should I save my drops? Do I use them to craft later? And is there a limit to how much you can fit in your chest?

EE: Yup, just found the guy who can craft for me. Awesome. Limit question still stands though!

Kind of amazing how much better games look on a Vita than via screenshots. I understand why and all that, but it still continues to impress me everytime I boot up a new game.

That's good to hear. All the screenshots I've seen of the game have turned me off of it. But between hearing this and reading destructoids review I think I want this game pretty badly now.

And hearing about the great character creation and customization has me interested too. As does hearing that one of the composers of ff xi and ff crystal chronicles is doing the soundtrack.

That's good to hear. All the screenshots I've seen of the game have turned me off of it. But between hearing this and reading destructoids review I think I want this game pretty badly now.

And hearing about the great character creation and customization has me interested too. As does hearing that one of the composers of ff xi and ff crystal chronicles is doing the soundtrack.

It's going to be a glorious game. The soundtrack is AMAZING by the way, you should give it a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJGd4qTeSNg

Noi

EE: Yup, just found the guy who can craft for me. Awesome. Limit question still stands though!

No idea, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now I'm chesting everything except the weapons I can't use, which I sell.

Also, now I'm looking more familiar~

8139986129_b5b329dd41_c.jpg

Gives me Double Attack and Poison Attack abilities too!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No idea, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now I'm chesting everything except the weapons I can't use, which I sell.

Also, now I'm looking more familiar~

8139986129_b5b329dd41_c.jpg

Gives me Double Attack and Poison Attack abilities too!

Holy wow, that's fantastic! Hope you can look a little like SinX later, too. ;)

Noi

Holy wow, that's fantastic! Hope you can look a little like SinX later, too. ;)

You can buy a Swordman and Merchant outfit the moment you start the game, and a Thief and Magician one on Chapter 2. I imagine the rest of the basic "classic" jobs would come next, like Acolyte and Archer. Each outfit comes with a "card" for that job so you can use the abilities you get from it with other outfits, which is nice. For those curious as to how they look:

Merch -
8140017073_08a97e6520_z.jpg

Magician -
8140047710_dcdfb2afd6_z.jpg

Not too bad, you have super armor, decent crowd control, and a few hits into Heaven's Drive in air sends many weaklings spinng out all around the field. Soul-striking weaklings into everyone else allows you to make your own projectile shot out of all weaker enemies. Also, you can Dash-cancel recovery pretty easily, so once you get the spell out, start moving around!

It might not be the class for you, though. Take the class on until you can switch classes, and then see if something else fits your desires better.

Hunter is probably closer to what an expected Mage would be like, from what little I know of it.

My brother has started one, as a classic Battle Aco / Priest / High Priest player. He's loving it. Sanctuary is slow to start, but is a great way to heal self + others after conflicts, the special counter -> 3 hit burst is great, and he even has a mini-fireball somewhere in there. He's not the strongest hitter so far, but looks to be a great support / self-healing character.

hmmm... I can see the appeal of mage, but it's not really my style :p

Been having some good fun with Cleric atm. Damage is decent, but self heal and def skills is great.

I'm hearing they can counter attack, where do I read up on those and air combos? Manual seems to just talk about ground combos :/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow that was beautiful! Ok I think I am gonna get this right now. If I add 50 to psn I'm at $100. Might as well.

Just remember, you have to actually spend 100. So if you spend $99.98, the deal won't count. So make sure those few cents are spent somehow!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm hearing they can counter attack, where do I read up on those and air combos? Manual seems to just talk about ground combos :/

There was a section in the Merc Guide about Class Specific Abilities. Not sure if it's in the manual or not. (I'd figure it'd have been in the same spot of the combo diagram, as a "single button press" section.)

Even that guide skips a few things, though. Like there's no mention of what Mage's Lvl 1 and 2 Charge attack does specifically in the Merc Guide... though they do mention he has buff skills.

There was a section in the Merc Guide about Class Specific Abilities. Not sure if it's in the manual or not. (I'd figure it'd have been in the same spot of the combo diagram, as a "single button press" section.)

Even that guide skips a few things, though. Like there's no mention of what Mage's Lvl 1 and 2 Charge attack does specifically in the Merc Guide... though they do mention he has buff skills.

Yeah... it's not in the menu. The fuck? Could you explain how to do 'counter attack' with cleric please :)

Just remember, you have to actually spend 100. So if you spend $99.98, the deal won't count. So make sure those few cents are spent somehow!
Thanks for the heads up. Was actually at $49 after tallying so I am gonna end up having to add a few more bucks to reach a hundred.

Noi

..I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to look at the Mercenary Guide until now. I was wondering how the hell I pulled off different moves all the time.
KuGsj.gif

*post reading* ...No unique job features like the others? Sin is too good for that, hmmph.

Yeah... it's not in the menu. The fuck? Could you explain how to do 'counter attack' with cleric please :)

You basically have to guard at the right timing of the opponent's attack by pressing R + Triangle. You can even Guard Cancel your normal attacks by pressing said buttons while attacking.

Can you cancel attacks with Mage? Super Armor is great... until you die lol.

And one worrying thing about Sterling's review is time limit. I wanna continue my cleric... but don't wanna reach that ceiling :S

Noi

Can you cancel attacks with Mage? Super Armor is great... until you die lol.

And one worrying thing about Sterling's review is time limit. I wanna continue my cleric... but don't wanna reach that ceiling :S

Negative. Mage has double casting though. To quote the book:

"At the end of a combo, press and hold the circle button to engage a magical charge. If you hold this charge for a time, then release, you may find yourself casting double the magic in one fell swoop."

Top Bottom