• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Animator

I realized I have been playing this game everyday since it came out for hours and I am still having fun like it's first day and discovering new tactics.

Still playing this game on both PC and PS4 and have reached rank 40, almost, on both. Game plays amazingly no matter which platform apparently. I didn't notice I had my PC on Power Saver mode (meant for laptops and shit) and it was still running the game max'd 1080/60 no sweat, same as PS4. Good stuff!

Any basic tips for using tachanka? I'm thinking about using him for a bit.

Gun generally isn't worthwhile but it can make for a good distraction. People assume that if tachanka is setup on his gun during the prep phase, then he will be there when they attack.

Use this knowledge to consider, where would someone attempt to approach if they wanted an easy kill on the 'sitting duck' tachanka.

So on Kafe trainroom, for instance, set him up in the dining room next to the train room (if objective is in train room), aim towards fireplace, sit there for a little while during prep, then move down to 1st floor on the door that overlooks the back windows. Open a panel in the door when you suspect enemies to be rappelling and open fire.

Just stuff like that. I wouldn't use the gun directly though, honestly. There's little that you can do with it that you can't do with good accuracy, but tchanka's armour and carbine are his real strength.

Great games Chronospherics!

Had a blast and Chrono is a terrific player too!

Thanks! I enjoyed playing with you and your friends too, had some fun games :)

Klyka

Banned
Yesterday I got into a fucking shouting match with a castle player who kept fucking locking us into the bank vault and I kept tearing his barricades down and him and his kapkan friend who was ALSO camping in the vault kept arguing with me and I for the first time got actually angry at someone in this game and we yelled at each other until the other team showed up and killed us all cause we were boxed in and the fucking castle player had the audacity to say "see idiot,if my barricades had been up they couldn't have shot us"

I was SOOOOOO furious holy shit

Genryu

Banned
So I had my first run-in with people who run out from Defense during the Drone phase, that was great.

It was also funny how they seemed to always know where we were at all times.

Yesterday I got into a fucking shouting match with a castle player who kept fucking locking us into the bank vault and I kept tearing his barricades down and him and his kapkan friend who was ALSO camping in the vault kept arguing with me and I for the first time got actually angry at someone in this game and we yelled at each other until the other team showed up and killed us all cause we were boxed in and the fucking castle player had the audacity to say "see idiot,if my barricades had been up they couldn't have shot us"

I see what you mean with that,
to me it looks like you need to be able to wander a little bit or else your just going to get hammered in a corner.

You use your team mates as "layers" in my eyes.

nOoblet16

Well if you wanted to leave then why didn't you just tear it down and leave, instead of tearing it down again and again? If one or two people want to stay in by boxing themselves then that shouldn't be an issue really.

Infact even if everyone of them wanted to stay in except you then it's just better to leave and let them box themselves in rather than have then stay in the room but without any barricades.

Klyka

Banned
Well if you wanted to leave then why didn't you just tear it down and leave instead of tearing it down again and again?

If one or two people want to stay in by boxing themselves then that shouldn't be an issue really.

I did leave and was pushed back by the enemies and had to keep taking his barricades down to retreat cause he kept putting them up to lock me out.

It was a silly situation that ended in a silly argument.
I am not proud of it.

nOoblet16

I did leave and was pushed back by the enemies and had to keep taking his barricades down to retreat cause he kept putting them up to lock me out.

It was a silly situation that ended in a silly argument.
I am not proud of it.
Well honestly it's not entirely his fault that he kept barricading if you ask me.

Most castle players expect the roamers to leave so that they can box themselves in, the roamers on the other hand will retreat somewhere else rather than retreating back to the objective room so that it doesn't result in the enemy team catching with your pants down. It's sort of on you if you are (repeatedly) retreating back to that room which is locked in. Yes there are times when you have no other choice but to take the barricade down and go in...in which case the players would understand and they would barricade it again.

But if you are repeatedly going in and out then that is annoying because you have to pick if you want to stay a roamer or camp in room...can't be doing both you see because it makes the camper's job harder if you leave a huge line of sight like a door..open.

Klyka

Banned
Well honestly it's not entirely his fault that he kept barricading if you ask me.

Most castle players expect the roamers to leave so that they can box themselves in, the roamers on the other hand will retreat somewhere else rather than retreating back to the objective room. It's sort of on you if you retreat back to that room which is locked in. Yes there are times when you have no other choice but to take the barricade down and go in...in which case the players would understand.

But if you are repeatedly going in and out then that is annoying because you have to pick if you want to stay a roamer or camp in room...can't be doing both you see.

I guess i'll go into detail:

I wasn't really roaming, I was a Rook staying close to the objective.

Ok you know in bank, the vault area,right? The hostage was right in the actual vault. Now know the room directly next to the vault full of cash? With the normal sized door that leads into a hallway? I was in that hallway and had put a murderhole in the wall to keep watch on the little office with the entrance and trapdoor in it.

Castle puts his barricade up directly behind me. I am basically stuck in that hallway if they come from the garage area. So I tear it down and ask him to please leave it open or put it on the double garage door. He puts it back up immediately, locking me out.

Enemies approach from the room I was looking into,I start shooting and DBNO a Thermite. They start to shoot the hell out of the wall I am behind so I turn around, break down the barricade and sprint into the room where I am safe.
Castle gets super sour with me over having brought down the barricade. I tell him to shut it and keep watching the hallway,instead he just sits in a corner of the room looking at basically a wall.

I keep peaking into the hallway, slowly going back out,manage to finish off the Thermite but there is an Ash right behind him who takes me down to like 15 health.
I turn around to run and...the fucking barricade is back up AGAIN. So I tear it down to save myself yet again, the man fucking FUMES at me, I shout at him how fucking stupid he is to keep putting up that dumb barricade and to watch the damn hallway. He shouts at me. At this point the other team attack the vault area where two of our team are in and I realize the castle not only barricaded the small door to the hallway but also the door connecting to the vault,effectively boxing himself into that tiny room,unable to help the team AND splitting all of us up. So I shout at him AGAIN to watch the damn hallway,tear down the barricade between rooms and help my other guys to defend. As we have a firefight with the people outside vault, 2 enemies come down the hallway, kill the Castle without him even firing a shot at them,flank me and the others from behind and we die.

And the castle and his kapkan friend (who was roaming and died like 15 seconds into the round) both shouted at me for having taken down the barricades and that castles "role is to barricade himself in a room and camp it out"

Genryu

Banned
Holy shit, I never knew you could get up to this spot on House.

9TCijKD.jpg

manhack

Here is archive video of a twitch streamer hacking and running out of the building during prep phase exploit if you are interested in what it looks like:

https://us.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3zuw56/blatant_exploiting_becoming_unbearable/

I think this is OK to post since this is a streamers archive, but let me know if not. He turns the visible part of the hacks off once he realized they are showing on stream.

Edit: decided to link to the reddit post so it wasn't a direct link to the twitch stream archive.

kvk1

And the patch notes:

In-Depth Patch Notes - Update 1.2 - January 7th (PC) & January 14th (Consoles)

Hello everyone!

Today we are sharing our second title update. Keep in mind that we will be improving with every update. The changes described below will take effect on January 7th 2016 for PC and on January 14th 2016 for Consoles. This patch will be released on PC first because of the faster deployment process, in order to test the impact the fixes have and adjust if needed.

Please refer to our post about our January 2016 Priority – Fixing Top Issues to see our current plans and steps we are taking to improve the game. Note that this patch, Update 1.2, will not fix all of our current top issues and that we are actively working on fixing them as soon as possible.

General Tweaks and Improvements

Hit Registration Improvements
Updated the server tick rate for all PC users, coming soon to consoles

With the goal of improving positioning and shooting replication, we had deployed a first update on PC in which the player position update rate is set to 60 times per second (vs. the previous 30). This change however has been done in an intermittent fashion and in certain regions only, as we were testing various configurations. We are now satisfied with its state so we are now deploying this update to all PC users. As soon as this feature has been validated with this more massive test on PC, we will be deploying this update on consoles as soon as possible.

Data center selection is now possible (PC users only, for now)
PC users can change their default data centers in the Rainbow Six game settings file (gamesettings.ini), which is usually located in the ‘My Documents\My Games\your Uplay ID’ folder. Change the DataCenterHint value from ‘default’ to the region’s short name that you wish to have as your default data center. The available region short names can be found just above the DataCenterHint line.

Note that we are planning to eventually expose this in the in-game UI for all platforms and this PC-exclusive feature is only a first step.

Matchmaking Improvements
Refining the quality of PVP matches with more evenly matched opponents
Added a criteria that increases the odds of pre-made parties being matched against a squad with an equal number of pre-made parties within them.
Skill criterion originating from the player’s region is now more precise.

Improved connectivity to PVP and PVE matches
Increased match quality by ensuring players using the same data center get matched together, leading to better ping.
Improved accuracy of the estimated waiting time while in lobby.

Top Community-Raised Bug Fixes
Please be aware that this is not an exhaustive list and that we are only highlighting fixes that were done about the most commonly raised community bugs.

Gameplay Fixes
Ranked matches HUD synch with Casual update has been applied (read: playlist changes from this post).
Did some fixes on an issue in which players would get stuck when walking, running or at the end of a rappel. The player could do other actions and rotate but couldn’t move.
Some situations still cause this bug. It is a work in progress.

Level Design Fixes
Kanal: fixed a bug in which the red blocker wall was not present on a window in the holding room for Defenders and allowed them to exit their zone during the preparation phase.
Some lighting issues on maps have been fixed.
Some minor collision issues have been fixed on House, Clubhouse, Kanal and Russian Café.

Online Flow Fixes
Fixed Error [3-0x0001000B].
Partial fix of Error [2-0x00000041]. Refer to Top Issues in the Known Issues post for full information.
Partial fix of the loading screen freeze (smoke background).
Refer to Top Issues in the Known Issues post for full information.

UI Fixes
Player skill rank display has been re-activated.

Authentication pop-up title had inconsistent spacing.

Audio Fixes
XB1: Fixed a bug in which if a player constrained the game, snapped an app, then unconstrained the game, he or she would lose the voice chat.
XB1: Fixed a bug in which the game did not exhibit any audio whilst the player had any app snapped.

Other Fixes
The Season Passes temporary activation for everyone for issue identification purposes has now ended, see this post for more details.
Fixed a bug in which the Tier 5 faded skin for the FBI’s 5.7 USG pistol didn’t unlock even after purchasing it.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1368508-Patch-Notes-Update-1-2?

arimanius

Note that already, we can tell that patch 1.2 will not fix all of the top connection issues (full patch note to be released when it goes live on PC), but we are actively working on fixing these issues as soon as possible.

Hope they get them sorted out quickly.Sucks console users have to wait til the 14th for 1.2 and end of January for 1.3.

The development team’s top priority in January are to fix:
Error 41 – Most recurrent PvP connection error
Extended matchmaking connection time - Irregularly long loading time for some players (especially in Ranked).
Failed data synchronization - Failed data screen resulting, in some cases, to no renown being issued at the end of a match.
Loading screen freeze (smoke background) - Some players get stuck in a screen when loading a match.
Game exploit in which Defenders are able to go outside during the preparation phase (bypassing the red wall).
Party of 4 Matchmaking - Some users experience much longer matchmaking times if they try to matchmaking with a party of 4 players.

If they can fix all of these by the 14th I may be tempted to buy the season pass since I kind of said I would if Ubi would fix their shit quickly lol

You have to waste a nitro though.

3-5 shotgun blasts on the left side wall will do it. I've been using it on occasion since the alpha.

It's actually not that brilliant of a spot, beside being unexpected, you're open from people coming up the stairs into hallaway, open from construction room (where you made the hole), open from kids bedroom, open from bathroom, open from main bedroom, open from the window behind you, open from downstairs kitchen, open from downstairs...

It gives you overwatch on all these places but at the same time leaves you exposed to them and you can't watch more than a couple at the same time. Overall I would say it's not worth it, and that it's a good place to get yourself killed, most of the time.

It can work if you know someone is in a specific spot, so if someone is breaching construction site window it gives you access to that. The main reason I use the spot however is to shoot the enemy team as they approach from front yard. Get two teammates with carbines to sit on that window, covering both gate entrances, get another teammate to sit in the Bathroom overlooking the garage spawn, and you cover 2/3 of the entry points. You can easily wipe 2-3 enemies within moments of their spawning that way.

In ranked I would only do that on the second defending round, so that they do not expect it.

Drewfonse

So I literally have 0 kills with the shotguns, because, well, I never use them. I do routinely get jacked the fuck up by people who are using them, though.

I'd like to add them to my repertoire as a defender, but I'm concerned that my normal inclination as a solo roamer would leave me vulnerable in mid to long range skirmishes. I do sometimes hole up by the objective, so maybe it would make sense to try them during these sequences. So maybe a Castle all hopped up in the objective room with armored barricades and a shotgun? I'm just trying to maximize my chances of engaging in close range combat only.

So I literally have 0 kills with the shotguns, because, well, I never use them. I'd like to add them to my repertoire as a defender, but I'm concerned that my normal inclination as a solo roamer would leave me vulnerable in mid to long range skirmishes. I do sometimes hole up by the objective, so maybe it would make sense to try them during these sequences. So maybe a Castle all hopped up in the objective room with armored barricades and a shotgun? I'm just trying to maximize my chances of engaging in close range combat only.

If you want to maxmise your chances of engagined in close quarters only, then roam. If you're holding off on the objective then I find SMGs are a better bet, as when people start blowing things apart they begin getting pretty awkward angles that a shotgun can't accommodate very well.

So judging by the post, the exploit with defenders running outside will be fixed latest by the end of January for console players, and mid-January for PC players.

How rampant is this bug now anyway? That's kind of a long wait.

And I'm guessing a good portion of the connection issues will be fixed today/Jan 14 for consoles?

So judging by the post, the exploit with defenders running outside will be fixed latest by the end of January for console players, and mid-January for PC players.

How rampant is this bug now anyway? That's kind of a long wait.

And I'm guessing a good portion of the connection issues will be fixed today/Jan 14 for consoles?

Haven't seen anyone doing it in 80 + hours played, my friends speak only of isolated incidents, so I would say it's not that pervasive yet.

So I was thinking last night, the people I play with (some gaf, some not) often make a pretty feeble effort to hide the objective.

I mean, we put jammers on the doorways and such, but ultimately even if they do not scan it, the defending team still know where it is, and if mics are available, can just communicate that information.

But what if we thought about it a little more.

What if, for instance, we setup a fake defensive location? Using both mute and bandit you can block the drones from two locations, and by only placing reinforcements etc onto one of these, you can make the enemy drones think the objective is somewhere that you aren't. On maps like Clubhouse and Oregon, you could definitely use this to completely run down the timer.

So, grab mute and bandit, have mute stay on the objective with one other teammate, mute placing jammers, the other teammate barricading doorways to ensure the jammers can't be jumped.

The rest of the team pick a nearby but unrelated location, and reinforce the shit out of it. Use bandits electrified wire to ensure that the drones cannot access this area either. To make this more convincing pick an area that is really easy to defend, so on consulate use the waiting room office (one doorway for entry) and just bunker it up, stopping drones seeing inside. When in a drone people usually recognise wall reinforcements as where the enemy actually are, so using those, castles barricades, and bandits shock wire should convince them of the location.

With 4 of you on that floor and location, even if the drones do not see the objective they will assume that the objective is still in that area. Defend the area with four players like normal.

Even if you lose on this area and the four players die, the chances of the enemy team having enough time to find and approach the real objective location are very slim, resulting in a win by timeout for the remaining mute player. If you do this on an opening defensive round to a ranked game however, it should place your opponents in a very uneasy state for the rest of the match, and they may distrust the true objective if they cannot see it, thinking mute is barricaded up with the true objective elsewhere.

It might be important to ensure that you can get to the real objective easily though, incase things go wrong and they find it. Picking a dummy location that has a partial connection is a good idea.

Would anyone like to try this with me? I think it would be funny.

RobNBanks

Banned
So I was thinking last night, the people I play with (some gaf, some not) often make a pretty feeble effort to hide the objective.

I mean, we put jammers on the doorways and such, but ultimately even if they do not scan it, the defending team still know where it is, and if mics are available, can just communicate that information.

But what if we thought about it a little more.

What if, for instance, we setup a fake defensive location? Using both mute and bandit you can block the drones from two locations, and by only placing reinforcements etc onto one of these, you can make the enemy drones think the objective is somewhere that you aren't. On maps like Clubhouse and Oregon, you could definitely use this to completely run down the timer.

So, grab mute and bandit, have mute stay on the objective with one other teammate, mute placing jammers, the other teammate barricading doorways to ensure the jammers can't be jumped.

The rest of the team pick a nearby but unrelated location, and reinforce the shit out of it. Use bandits electrified wire to ensure that the drones cannot access this area either. To make this more convincing pick an area that is really easy to defend, so on consulate use the waiting room office (one doorway for entry) and just bunker it up, stopping drones seeing inside. When in a drone people usually recognise wall reinforcements as where the enemy actually are, so using those, castles barricades, and bandits shock wire should convince them of the location.

With 4 of you on that floor and location, even if the drones do not see the objective they will assume that the objective is still in that area. Defend the area with four players like normal.

Even if you lose on this area and the four players die, the chances of the enemy team having enough time to find and approach the real objective location are very slim, resulting in a win by timeout for the remaining mute player. If you do this on an opening defensive round to a ranked game however, it should place your opponents in a very uneasy state for the rest of the match, and they may distrust the true objective if they cannot see it, thinking mute is barricaded up with the true objective elsewhere.

It might be important to ensure that you can get to the real objective easily though, incase things go wrong and they find it. Picking a dummy location that has a partial connection is a good idea.

Would anyone like to try this with me? I think it would be funny.

i've wanted to do this

figured it might be too risky though

i've wanted to do this

figured it might be too risky though

Yeah that's why I'm trying to think of the best places to do it. I think for instance, if your defensive location is in the armoury, you could probably trick them into thinking you were in the bar on Clubhouse.

If they see the real objective then you naturally have to do a 180 and relocate, but you have time for that, I think.

Valkrai

Check the game ini then let us know

Let's do next time we have a squad

All right. It looks like there is US East, US West, US Central, US South Central, Brazil South, EU West, EU North, Asia East, Asia Southeast, and Australia East.

BTW I don't think faking like that is really worth doing. They'll find the objective regardless, it'd take less effort and be probably easier just having some defenders roam around.

Let's set a tentative date for the 7th during the evening. All fun and games, nothing personal.
PS4*

1.Mike_Hawk689
2.Gaz_RB
3.alpinestars1980
5.Berzerk-O
6.TheTrinidad
7.Chronospherics
8.US_Keihart
9.CarlosVato

Replacement:Longhornbevo

2 Team captain will be randomly chosen through RNG.
Team 1 has pick number 1, 4, 5, 8
Team 2 has pick number 2, 3, 6, 7

Team 2 picks the first Map and Game Mode. Team 1 chooses which side to start (Attack or Defend)
Team 1 picks the second Map and game mode with Team 2 choosing the side.
Third game undecided yet..

Given the time restraint that we have.. I've decided to RNG the team captain with the 8 players we have.
Team 1 Captain is US_Keihart.
Team 2 Captain is alpinestars1980.

With the two spots left open I suggest picking up a friend of yours or if Evolved or Longhorn becomes available on time we can pick them up.

First pick goes to Keihart!
I will send you guys PM and msg on PSN.

Ralemont

not me
Yeah that's why I'm trying to think of the best places to do it. I think for instance, if your defensive location is in the armoury, you could probably trick them into thinking you were in the bar on Clubhouse.

If they see the real objective then you naturally have to do a 180 and relocate, but you have time for that, I think.

Sounds like a lot of work in terms of coordination. It might pay off but after a few rounds of attackers finding the obj almost immediately anyway it'd be tough to keep it up. I'd rather take the time to find a nice wall to shoot through tbh.

It would make a good idea if you're defending on match point or overtime, though.

Personally, I don't mind that much when they find the objective.

I already know that they know where it's at and I have to adjust accordingly.

I find it easier to defend knowing that they have to get there.

Sounds like a lot of work in terms of coordination. It might pay off but after a few rounds of attackers finding the obj almost immediately anyway it'd be tough to keep it up. I'd rather take the time to find a nice wall to shoot through tbh.

It would make a good idea if you're defending on match point or overtime, though.

Yeah I mean I wouldn't imagine any team would want to do it repeatedly, just to throw them a curveball on the off round.

Let's set a tentative date for the 7th during the evening. All fun and games, nothing personal.
PS4*

1.Mike_Hawk689
2.Gaz_RB
3.alpinestars1980
5.Berzerk-O
6.TheTrinidad
7.Chronospherics
8.US_Keihart
9.CarlosVato

Replacement:Longhornbevo

2 Team captain will be randomly chosen through RNG.
Team 1 has pick number 1, 4, 5, 8
Team 2 has pick number 2, 3, 6, 7

Team 2 picks the first Map and Game Mode. Team 1 chooses which side to start (Attack or Defend)
Team 1 picks the second Map and game mode with Team 2 choosing the side.
Third game undecided yet..

Team 1: US_ Keihart, Mike_Hawk689

Team 2: Alpinestars1980,

Top Bottom