• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's hard for me to find the words to communicate how horrible the optics and ADSV are in this game.

This is exacerbated by the fact we cannot FPWV-lean on consoles.

I really hope Ubisoft admits their optics are trash and just lets everyone equip the russian reflex. Especially since the 100+ people in the building cannot figure out how to put lean on the gamepad. In their defense, it's a real puzzle, what with all the buttons, motion control, touchpads, etc. Truly, must be mentally exhausting cracking that one.

I gave the motion control lean a go in Battlefield 4 and hated it though, really threw my aiming off. I'm not sure I could come up with a better solution on the console controller myself.

Evolved1

I gave the motion control lean a go in Battlefield 4 and hated it though, really threw my aiming off. I'm not sure I could come up with a better solution on the console controller myself.

The motion controller does suck. I'm just saying. You have 100+ people, fuckin figure it out,

KodaRuss

Your k/d ratios with different operators become....understandable now. No offense, of course. But when I look at mine that is slowly inching up to 1:1 because of a horrible first 15-20 hrs, and I remember you talking about your Glaz's 3:1 as being a bit pedestrian, it really does become all relative to hours put into the game. And you just being really, really good at it. ☺

I'd love for ANY of my Operators to be more than 1:1 right now. My Fuze is pretty much 1:1. I know that k/d only tells a portion of the story, but it DOES tell a portion of it. And right now, my story is being told in fits and starts.

I like that you are able to look at your individual win ratios and kill/death per operator. On Thermite i have an 11.0 win ratio haha.

Been on a tear recently in Casual probably 9-1 in my last 10 games. Won 4 straight flawless games with randoms. My k/d and win ratios from my first 50 or so games are really dragging my overall numbers down.

baby

ive got kind of a weird question but nevertheless very important. how much damage can the hostie take before going down? usually i just kneecap it once as a defender, but i feel like i might be able to do more.

Evolved1

Isn't right d-pad a free button?

I would (as a configuration option) switch primary gadget to right d-pad, and make R1 a lean button.

Press R1 and left stick either left/right to initiate lean. Tapping R1 while leaning will reset it. Hitting L2 while leaning will pull up ADS while still leaning. Letting go of L2 will not cancel your lean, just your ADS. L3/R3 still function normally, so you can control leaning while ADS.

Primary gadget is not important enough that it cannot be relegated to right d-pad. Many gadgets are a toggle anyway.

Gadgets that you actually have to place (and need left stick to move around) I'd suggest right d-pad readies it, and then another press sets it when it's in the desired place.

This is just a suggestion, that I've only thought about for a few minutes. I'm sure a large team of game developers could better it, if they cared to.

KodaRuss

I would (as a configuration option) switch primary gadget to right d-pad, and make R1 a lean button.

Press R1 and left stick either left/right to initiate lean. Tapping R1 while leaning will reset it. Hitting L2 while leaning will pull up ADS while still leaning. Letting go of L2 will not cancel your lean, just your ADS.

Primary gadget is not important enough that it cannot be relegated to right d-pad. Many gadgets are a toggle anyway.

Gadgets that you actually have to place (and need left stick to move around) I'd suggest right d-pad readies it, and then another press sets it when it's in the desired place.

This is just a suggestion, that I've only thought about for a few minutes. I'm sure a large team of game developers could better it, if they cared to.

Can you not change the controller layout? I dont really have a problem with the layout now. R3/L3 seem ok for the leaning as you already should have your thumbs on them, when looking to lean.

If you get into a game with a random named Razorzero, just quit. He does the glitch where you can get out during prep phase. I don't know how people find that to be fun.

Evolved1

Can you not change the controller layout? I dont really have a problem with the layout now. R3/L3 seem ok for the leaning as you already should have your thumbs on them, when looking to lean.

But you can only lean while aiming down sight. And the optics in this game are bulky and obtrusive, they get in the way.

On PC, they can lean without ADS. On consoles, we cannot.

It's OK but it's also easy to nudge the thumbsticks when pushing them down. This gives me the idea to use paddles for lean on the X1 Elite controller.

KodaRuss

I'm sure you all have but has anyone else finished all the Situations? Article 5 mission is pretty bad ass.

Yeah, it is awesome. Makes me a little sad that they did not flesh out a campaign for the game because they did a great job with that situation with the cutscenes/story.

They have the groundwork for it, you can do a short campaign with each countries operators.

Press R1 and left stick either left/right to initiate lean. Tapping R1 while leaning will reset it. Hitting L2 while leaning will pull up ADS while still leaning. Letting go of L2 will not cancel your lean, just your ADS. L3/R3 still function normally, so you can control leaning while ADS.

Right d-pad is the extra drone

KodaRuss

You still have to ADS though, to initiate the lean, right?

I see you are raising the troops on the UBI forums as well? haha.

I really dont know how they could fix it without making the controls worse on console. Obviously Sony needs to come out with a Pro Controller for the PS4.

Your R1 might be ok but you would not be able to move while leaning? You can still side step left and right while leaning toggling the Left stick to be in a lean mode would prevent that. That is pretty important imo.

Just did 4 flawless matches in a row with some GAFers. We might be getting too good guys.

tumblr_mx9us2lRL21rpncwuo1_500.gif

For those of you who may have played both, is this game playing better on PC or console?

Also where are most of the Gaffers playing? Don't have any friends interested in this game, so I'd be looking to play with some bros/gals from here.

Evolved1

I see you are raising the troops on the UBI forums as well? haha.

I really dont know how they could fix it without making the controls worse on console. Obviously Sony needs to come out with a Pro Controller for the PS4.

Your R1 might be ok but you would not be able to move while leaning? You can still side step left and right while leaning toggling the Left stick to be in a lean mode would prevent that. That is pretty important imo.
You wouldn't be able to move for the split second you engage it, but lean is a toggle.
I don't really have a problem with L3/R3 for lean. It's almost second nature by now.
Yeah, but that would stay the same. This is just my suggestion to get non-ads lean on the console.

For those of you who may have played both, is this game playing better on PC or console?

Also where are most of the Gaffers playing? Don't have any friends interested in this game, so I'd be looking to play with some bros/gals from here.

If you have the hardware, it plays/looks/runs better on PC. Terrorist Hunt is 30fps on consoles and PC's have the benefit of higher resolutions/framerates. I run it at 1440p/90fps or so with a few settings knocked back. I also think this type of game will have a longer lasting community on PC as opposed to consoles. But I think right now, PS4 probably has the biggest community. I'll say playing on PC, there are always 15 or so GAF that I'm able to jump right in with and play. But aside from framerate/resolutions/controls, there aren't any major differences playing on console over PC, especially if you only want to play VS. mode. I'd get it on whatever platform your buddies are on if possible.

If you have the hardware, it plays/looks/runs better on PC. Terrorist Hunt is 30fps on consoles and PC's have the benefit of higher resolutions/framerates. I run it at 1440p/90fps or so with a few settings knocked back. I also think this type of game will have a longer lasting community on PC as opposed to consoles. But I think right now, PS4 probably has the biggest community. I'll say playing on PC, there are always 15 or so GAF that I'm able to jump right in with and play. But aside from framerate/resolutions/controls, there aren't any major differences playing on console over PC, especially if you only want to play VS. mode. I'd get it on whatever platform your buddies are on if possible.

Don't have any buddies interested sadly. Is there a GAF PC community or whatever in the game? (Zero clue if communities or "clans" are a thing in this game)

Don't have any buddies interested sadly. Is there a GAF PC community or whatever in the game? (Zero clue if communities or "clans" are a thing in this game)

I think I had 2 people on my uplay friends list when I picked up by R6:Siege. I now have over 30 people since release, I'd say of that 30, 20 are here from GAF that I added or was requested from the spreadsheet. On the Discord(voice server) there are usually just groups of people from GAF here that'll just sit and hang out until there are enough people. I also added the game to Steam so that people that I do have on FL that may have it on there can see I'm on to play.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This game is working again! Had 2 great games after not playing for almost 2 weeks due to crappy servers. Went like 14-4 in my first one (won 5-3).

Still an awesome game.

Christ... i can't even sleep for 14 straight hours. Dude... you OK?

I am still awake.

Had to host a Street Fighter / Smash Bros party at my house today, haha.

Time for bed I think! 42 hours awake, looooong day.

Catch some of you online over the weekend. :)

Your k/d ratios with different operators become....understandable now. No offense, of course. But when I look at mine that is slowly inching up to 1:1 because of a horrible first 15-20 hrs, and I remember you talking about your Glaz's 3:1 as being a bit pedestrian, it really does become all relative to hours put into the game. And you just being really, really good at it. ☺

I'd love for ANY of my Operators to be more than 1:1 right now. My Fuze is pretty much 1:1. I know that k/d only tells a portion of the story, but it DOES tell a portion of it. And right now, my story is being told in fits and starts.

I don't think it has that much to do with time played on Siege specifically. Like I'm rank 70 something on Siege with about 70 hours logged, but there are plenty people with the same rank and time played that are worse or plain bad at the game. While people certainly do improve with practice focused on the particular game, a good deal of it comes down to skills people have learnt that are transferable, either from other games, or broad cognitive skills and tactile abilities.

While people glorify Rainbow Six as completely set apart from games like Call of Duty, and the like, there are a lot of skills you develop when playing those games that transfer directly over to Siege.

For example, being able to quickly create spatial maps of the virtual worlds, in your mind, and simulating player movements onto those maps, is something you learn from gaming in competitive virtual worlds, broadly, but it's very easily applied to Siege, as I was able to learn the maps inside out within a short space of time, including location names etc, and in turn anticipate enemy locations very quickly based on my awareness of entry spawn points, relative entry points, etc.

It also comes from playing the game with the right mindset. Some players will play for 1000 hours but if they are unable to accurately identify their mistakes then they will in turn be unable to learn from them, and evolve into better players. The sooner you acknowledge each death as your own failing the sooner you will get better at the game. In many cases an attribution bias is in play here, as people attribute their successes to their own ability, and their losses determined by something outside of their control. This is often counter-intuitive to learning, as players will sooner blame teammates, particular circumstances, and sheer chance sooner than they blame their own ability.

Another thing I have noticed in Siege is that a lot of bad players do not seek out challenge. One thing I will always do is seek to play players who are better than me. However many of my friends will ask if we can hit rematch after they have had a good game. What is the point in that? Seek better players as there is much more you can learn from them. I get no satisfaction in beating teams where the match outcome can be predicted from the outset.

I think I had 2 people on my uplay friends list when I picked up by R6:Siege. I now have over 30 people since release, I'd say of that 30, 20 are here from GAF that I added or was requested from the spreadsheet. On the Discord(voice server) there are usually just groups of people from GAF here that'll just sit and hang out until there are enough people. I also added the game to Steam so that people that I do have on FL that may have it on there can see I'm on to play.

Thanks man. I should be picking the game up on pc here shortly. Add me! My name on uplay is Lockjaw331

Mentok

Banned
Given the amount of ps4 players isn't as huge with gaf. I would continue with weekly games like this. Maybe make it a bit earlier to accomodate euro players. Until we have over 30 players ready for a tourney

I agree that the ps4 userbase may not be as large for a massive tourney, but maybe we can do a mini one. For example, have 4 teams (so 20 GAFfers) play a round robin. Those round robin games can be arranged at any point during the week that is agreed upon by the teams playing. The format would be the same as the game we played (best 2/3 on ranked maps). After a round robin we look at the standings. The first place team gets an automatic bye into the finals, 2nd and 3rd play in the semis and 4th is eliminated. If there's a tie, there's at least 3 different things that can be done:
1) a one-off game
2) see who won the match when the two tied teams played each other in the round robin
3) keep track of the total rounds won-lost and use the difference as the tie breaker.

Just a thought.

EDIT:
Another thing I have noticed in Siege is that a lot of bad players do not seek out challenge. One thing I will always do is seek to play players who are better than me. However many of my friends will ask if we can hit bad rematch after they have had a good game. What is the point in that? Seek better players as there is much more you can learn from them. I get no satisfaction in beating teams where the match outcome can be predicted from the outset.
I agree with the bolded, I always try to play/learn from those who are better. Hell, I'll rematch a very close game, or a game where I felt outclassed.

Had a pretty great 5v2 game with my buddy the other night - only got video of the first and last rounds (we were already a round down when we joined). Nothing super fancy, the other team aren't great, but it felt awesome to overcome the odds with a bit of communication;

https://youtu.be/4IsOOSqtFTU

https://youtu.be/DyjCHOBxST4

Was meant to be a quick game or two before bed but this match got me ridiculously amped up and we ended up going on a decent streak afterwards.

KodaRuss

Anyone had much luck soloing on ranked games? It takes me forever to find a game all the time so I usually just switch back to casual.

Picked up this game this week on ps4. Joined the ps4 gaf community but can someone invite me to the favorites chat group?

I'll be a rookie so looking to learn from the best. My psn is guitarguy316.

KodaRuss

Alright this is dogshit. If you get kicked out of a ranked match you have to wait the 15 mins or whatever. Got kicked out by my team as the game started probably because their fifth got kicked or something.

Why do I have to get punished for that?

Alright this is dogshit. If you get kicked out of a ranked match you have to wait the 15 mins or whatever. Got kicked out by my team as the game started probably because their fifth got kicked or something.

Why do I have to get punished for that?

Yeah, I got clan kicked today, too. It was in casual and I called someone out for TK'ing me, then he intentionally TK'd me again next round and when I initiated a vote against him, it failed. Then they all booted me.

soultron

Banned
Anyone playing on PC getting massive lag (rubber banding that's especially bad in the drone or when trying to sprint as your operator) since the xmas period?

On launch the PC version was playing flawlessly for me. Now, it's getting to be unplayable. I typically have East US (~35ms) as a server (I know you can manually set this now) and 50-75 ping in-game.

I want to know if it's fixable or if I'm going to have to drop this game altogether on PC. It plays better for me on PS4 at this point.

EDIT: Moderate NAT but that can't be changed since my landlord owns and operates the router in my building.

Anyone playing on PC getting massive lag (rubber banding that's especially bad in the drone or when trying to sprint as your operator) since the xmas period?

On launch the PC version was playing flawlessly for me. Now, it's getting to be unplayable. I typically have East US (~35ms) as a server (I know you can manually set this now) and 50-75 ping in-game.

I want to know if it's fixable or if I'm going to have to drop this game altogether on PC. It plays better for me on PS4 at this point.
Try this, added in new patch couple days ago;

Data center selection is now possible (PC users only, for now)
PC users can change their default data centers in the Rainbow Six game settings file (gamesettings.ini), which is usually located in the ‘My Documents\My Games\your Uplay ID’ folder. Change the DataCenterHint value from ‘default’ to the region’s short name that you wish to have as your default data center. The available region short names can be found just above the DataCenterHint line.

manhack

Eh, I tried using both EUS and CUS. Rubber banding persists. Guess I'm done with it on PC, then. Shame.

If it is on every server that is strange. PC has been smooth as silk all night. I've had rubber banding rarely (3 or 4 times in many hours of play)

Rented this game yesterday and got some multiplayer experience today. People glitching through walls and out of the planning phase. Good work, ubi.

Decent fun game when it works.

TheBear

Are there any Aussies on here playing regularly? Have siege a break after getting Blops and battlefront for Christmas and all I wanna do is get back into siege!

Also when is the first season pass stuff coming out?

Top Bottom