• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
PS4 PLAYERS!
We have both a community and a favorite group for R6!

The community can be joined by selecting my PSN profile (thetrinidad) and looking at my communities. It is an open community so no invite is required to join.

THE FAVORITES GROUP WILL ENABLE YOU TO SEE WHO IS ACTIVELY PLAYING RAINBOW SIX TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO GROUP UP MORE EFFICENTLY. THIS GROUP IS INVITE ONLY AND YOU MUST PM ME OR ASK ON GAF TO RECEIVE AN INVITE!

Follow these instructions once you have been invited to chat to add to Favorites:

To access the group you have to go to your friends list and select Favorites group, then select ADD FAVORITE GROUP:

BVFAzfL.jpg

Once in this screen, check under Existing Message groups and select the Rainbow Six GAF group. This should allow you to join the Favorites Group for R6!

MY PSN IS THETRINIDAD

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR PSN ID TO THE REQUEST FOR A FAVORITES GROUP INVITE!

THE COMMUNITY IS 110+ STRONG AND GROWING!

THE FAVORITES CHAT IS UP TO 40+ NEOGAF ONLY PEEPS!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WISH TO JOIN R6 PS4 GAF!

Also, it seems to me there is a clear tier list no?

How would you guys rank the ops?

Seems guys like Castle are tier 1

I thought Doc was a must have, but he seems way too situational to rely on. You need to really stay alive as him to be useful. Rook seems like the better choice.

Gaz_RB

For the past two days I've had obscenely high ping in this game. 500+. When I play other games/do speed tests, I usually hit about 70-90, which is more than acceptable.

I noticed now that the game put me in the Western European Data Center, which is fine except I live in Montana. Any way to manually change that?

Edit: just restarted the app. I'm now in a data center called "sbr" at 356ms. I'm assuming that stands for Siberia, which is a little closer (in climate anyway).

Edit2: restarted three more times, got west us! Yes! Then I got into a game. 300 ping! Fuck! I quit. I'm gonna go play something else and cry myself to sleep tonight.

Valkrai

Also, it seems to me there is a clear tier list no?

How would you guys rank the ops?

Seems guys like Castle are tier 1

Well personally my tier list is

T1
Rook (Armor is extremely important, can keep allies alive. Be warned enemies can also pick it up.)
Thermite (The most important attacker, gets reinforced walls.)
Thatcher (Easily the best support character in the game for me, EMP grenades do a lot of work. Excellent primaries for med-long range)
Jager (Great roamer and best weapon for defenders imo)

T2
Bandit (MP7 not so great at long range, somewhat situational with high ROF. There's also a great trick you can use against Thermites)
Twitch (Good backup if you don't have Thatcher)
Ash (Good ability and decent primary weps. Only gripe I have with her is that her equipment isn't too great and armor is light)
Mute (Effective against drones and breach charges, decent primary. Can be countered by Thatcher.)

T3
Smoke (Good roamer, secondary is great to use but low ammo capacity)
Sledge Not too interesting special but can do break Castle walls and walls if not reinforced)
Fuze (Not bad but situational especially during Hostage)
Doc (Good primary but more useful for T Hunt)

T4
Castle (Good for Windows but you can breach it easily with Ash or any op that has a breach charge or punches it 12 times. Also can be penetrated by Glaz.)
Glaz (Great primary but very situational in maps, only recommend it for peeking long hallways or watching areas outside. Tip to note that his bullets can penetrate Castle walls and the glass outside in Presidential Plane)
Blitz (His special shield is useful primarily due to the flashbang effect it gives but still restricted to the typical shield handicap. Low accuracy unless you ADS and sluggish. Can be countered easily with Nitro Cell)
Montagne (My least favorite shield operator personally. His ability isn't too useful unless you're covering multiple allies or going down a hallway. Can also be countered easily with the shield faults.)

T5
Kapkan (His ability can be easily countered but he has an excellent primary weapon. His traps can also catch some enemies offguard later in the round if they're unaware.)
Pulse (His primary isn't very good in any areas and he's not really a team player. Special ability isn't all that useful unless he's lurking through most of the round.)
Tachanka(Near bottom of the barrel. Not completely useful, too vulnerable on his LMG and range for deploying it is iffy. Has same weapon as Kapkan but just use Kapkan.)
IQ(She's the most useless operator in the entire game. Her weapons are pretty varied but her special ability is worthless outside of T Hunt. Not to mention her low armor, just avoid playing her at all costs.)

Edit: Accidentally repeated same op, added Mute in.

Erban1

Ive noticed that strategy. Does it work as well with slower ops?

I like to think that good shield players will be able to outplay you in CQC. I just really loved the mindgame of trying to outthink him.

We both know where we are. We both know what we're doing. How many MP shooters have that kind of tense standoff?

Its so excellent

Definitely still works, hip firing from behind the shield is inaccurate enough that you're likely to not take a hit making a run at them provided you're firing on him to keep him behind the shield, most of the time when I rush someone holding a shield they tend to panic and end up leaving themselves open.

Yeah I feel Kapkan shouldn't have his drilled spike thing exposed. Lots of ways a good defending team should watch for his tripwire. Seems like something to trick newer players, but the better players knows his tricks

I wonder if we'll see buffs for the weaker operators.

For example, would med packs be a good idea for Doc? Just for himself, as opposed to everyone.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Yeah I feel Kapkan shouldn't have his drilled spike thing exposed. Lots of ways a good defending team should watch for his tripwire. Seems like something to trick newer players, but the better players knows his tricks

I wonder if we'll see buffs for the weaker operators.

For example, would med packs be a good idea for Doc? Just for himself, as opposed to everyone.

I always get at least a few kills with the Kapkan trips! His gun also fucking awesome! My new favorite thing is to have them in hallways with openings rather than barricading up. This makes people back into them when you fire in the hallway and they try to get out of the hall into the doors without thinking.

He is probably my favorite character really, nothing funnier than some dude backing into your tripwire and dying!

Except maybe killing people with Twitch's drone! That is fun and hilarious!

Haha. I love the odd tripwire kill too.

Btw, have we seen examples of competitive play yet? Are there tournaments or what? Ubisoft plans to do stuff like this right?

Id love to watch competitive siege

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Haha. I love the odd tripwire kill too.

Btw, have we seen examples of competitive play yet? Are there tournaments or what? Ubisoft plans to do stuff like this right?

Id love to watch competitive siege

They did this Siege Games thing where it was a tourney but it was done a month ago.

Here is the Finale

This commentator says montane! LOL

I thought it was Montanya!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Kap is the only operator that can still get kills after death. Technically Bandit can as well, but you have better odds hitting the powerball.

If I still have traps up after death I'm sitting there like Gollum "come on my precious".

Feels good to notice improvement. I've had a lot of great games lately, including some totally clutch nitro kills and good guesswork shooting through walls.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
My pings have increased a lot after the new update. A bit of lag, it's kinda disappointing.

Edit: The disconnections have completely stopped though which is really nice. I'll play a few more games to check if it's stable or not.

Animator

Well personally my tier list is

T5
Kapkan (His ability can be easily countered but he has an excellent primary weapon. His traps can also catch some enemies offguard later in the round if they're unaware.)
Pulse (His primary isn't very good in any areas and he's not really a team player. Special ability isn't all that useful unless he's lurking through most of the round.)

You are wrong on both counts. But especially when it comes to Pulse.

Pulse is one of the best defenders in the game hands down on a team that communicates. You have first attack on any enemy coming to a window or trapdoor. You can tell how many people are coming from any direction and give your team on the second intel. Like holy shit are we playing the same Pulse?

Remmy2112

I also hate guys that go all commando and leave the area you are supposed to defend because they thinking they're playing COD team deathmatch

As in what, roamers? If so roamers are incredibly valuable in a game if played right. They can provide good intel on where the enemy is coming from and harass the crap out of them, forcing them to waste time or, in the best cases, actually whittle the enemy numbers down before they ever even make it to the room. Having some people in the room is necessary but having all of them just places too many eggs in one basket asking for Fuze, Thermite, or Sledge to blow them up.

Feels good to notice improvement. I've had a lot of great games lately, including some totally clutch nitro kills and good guesswork shooting through walls.
Yeah there's been a few matches where I "know" the other team is in that room and randomly fired into the walls. Mange to wipe out 2-3 guys a few times.

I've decided to produce some miscelanious commentaries for Siege.

Here's my first video

I'm telling you, it's Mon-tain.

Like the folk singer, Ray LaMontagne.

Every pronounciation site seems to suggest its mon-tan-yuh.

When I asked French relatives they said it's mon-tan-yuh, they pronounced it just as it suggests you should on wikipedia and various youtube pronounciation videos.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BoshATeni0

French pronounciation may be different to other nationalities though, as, as you noted Ray LaMontagne pronounces his name differently, however Montagne is French and named after the French word for mountain, which is very clearly pronounced in the way shown by the video above...

Normally, for names it's courteous to pronounce it as its pronounced in their home country. As with my Professors at University, I always find out how their name is pronounced in their tongue, then pronounce it that way.

Like how the English pronunciation of my name is Joh-zef, but the native pronounciation is You-zef.

PS4 PLAYERS!
We have both a community and a favorite group for R6!

The community can be joined by selecting my PSN profile (thetrinidad) and looking at my communities. It is an open community so no invite is required to join.

THE FAVORITES GROUP WILL ENABLE YOU TO SEE WHO IS ACTIVELY PLAYING RAINBOW SIX TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO GROUP UP MORE EFFICENTLY. THIS GROUP IS INVITE ONLY AND YOU MUST PM ME OR ASK ON GAF TO RECEIVE AN INVITE!

Follow these instructions once you have been invited to chat to add to Favorites:

To access the group you have to go to your friends list and select Favorites group, then select ADD FAVORITE GROUP:

Once in this screen, check under Existing Message groups and select the Rainbow Six GAF group. This should allow you to join the Favorites Group for R6!

MY PSN IS THETRINIDAD

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR PSN ID TO THE REQUEST FOR A FAVORITES GROUP INVITE!

THE COMMUNITY IS 110+ STRONG AND GROWING!

THE FAVORITES CHAT IS UP TO 40+ NEOGAF ONLY PEEPS!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WISH TO JOIN R6 PS4 GAF!

Please let there be more europeans as I am sure the 312 error is happening due to the range of people in the us im versing :(

noomi

Really want to pick this up for the PS4 to play, but don't feel comfortable paying the full retail price of $60.

Patiently waiting for a price drop or a good deal, would be fine with dropping $40 for this.

Really want to pick this up for the PS4 to play, but don't feel comfortable paying the full retail price of $60.

Patiently waiting for a price drop or a good deal, would be fine with dropping $40 for this.

Isn't it on a january sale in the US. I know its dropped in price on the norwegian store. In other news I bought the season pass so I unlock all the new operators straight away. I am never gonna be able to save up 25k of renown lol

Drewfonse

Best $60 that I've spent on a game in a looooooooong time.

noomi

Isn't it on a january sale in the US. I know its dropped in price on the norwegian store. In other news I bought the season pass so I unlock all the new operators straight away. I am never gonna be able to save up 25k of renown lol

I think it was on sale during the Holidays, but I missed it. Looking at PS Store now it's back to full price again.

Best $60 that I've spent on a game in a looooooooong time.

It looks very fun, but $40 is my sweet spot ;)

So many bad players online now, holy shit. This is frustrating and infuriating. They won't defend, the don't reinforce walls, they don't use their special ability...it's ...ugh

So many bad players online now, holy shit. This is frustrating and infuriating. They won't defend, the don't reinforce walls, they don't use their special ability...it's ...ugh

The amount of people that have played this game a lot yet clearly don't 'get' Siege, is really startling.

I am frequently seeing players of clearance level 50+ who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I am killing them in the first 5 seconds of a round (literally), and frequently manipulating them in the simplest of ways.

I wonder when they will go back to Call of Duty, Battlefield and the like, because in many cases it does not seem like they are learning, so it seems unlikely they would stick it out without obvious progression.

This might be my best finish to a game ever last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5u1nLkIoc0

I knew the one guy would be outside the window since he tried the same sniping tactic the last round.

Nice, it was a good win. Though I can't imagine you helped your teammates survivability when you shot him :p I get it though, it happens when it's tense like that. A buddy and I once both downed eachother with shotguns at the same time. Rather embarassing as we were the two roamers on our team, haha!

The vid I linked on the end of the last page is probably my best win so far I think. Some really tense moments across the two rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j47SKC03ewc

Important life lesson learned last night. Do not play with randoms and "try to go out on a win for the night" This guarantees you will not win a match before sunrise. Pro tip follow up, you should especially not do this on weekdays.

Even though I had a pretty bad streak of loosing squads, some of it my fault, it was a damn fun time. This game is crazy. I feel like I am playing it all of the time and I am not even rank 20 yet. When I see people in the 50's+, I know how much more than means for map awareness. Silly me thought just knowing the general layout of the maps would be easy like normal FPS multiplayer maps. Nope. To really elevate your game, you basically need to know every wall, window, door and what is on the other side of all of those. Combining that with smart drone use, it is crazy how clever some players are with flanking. I still don't even know what weapon sights and operators are my favorite yet, let alone all of the map strategies. So much to learn!! At least I had my first 1 v 2 save last night.

Valkrai

You are wrong on both counts. But especially when it comes to Pulse.

Pulse is one of the best defenders in the game hands down on a team that communicates. You have first attack on any enemy coming to a window or trapdoor. You can tell how many people are coming from any direction and give your team on the second intel. Like holy shit are we playing the same Pulse?

I haven't found too much use for Pulse playing with people. He can give intel but his UMP is atrocious. Even then, if you have roamers or use cams effectively, you can pretty much cut out Pulse.

thenexus6

Just got the game, looking for people to play. Although I will probably be terrible to start with.. I looked at the OP but is there a PS4 community for this game?

Also I thought its pretty cool you can get the soundtrack with uplay points, buts its only like 5 tracks?

Nice, it was a good win. Though I can't imagine you helped your teammates survivability when you shot him :p I get it though, it happens when it's tense like that. A buddy and I once both downed eachother with shotguns at the same time. Rather embarassing as we were the two roamers on our team, haha!

The vid I linked on the end of the last page is probably my best win so far I think. Some really tense moments across the two rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j47SKC03ewc

Yeah I realized that it was my teammate a little too late. Thankfully he was Doc and was able to revive himself

Just got the game, looking for people to play. Although I will probably be terrible to start with.. I looked at the OP but is there a PS4 community for this game?

Also I thought its pretty cool you can get the soundtrack with uplay points, buts its only like 5 tracks?

It's cool but I can see why, the soundtrack is suitable for the game, but it's very limited in what it intends to achieve as a result. It's like offering the soundtrack to a game like Call of Duty. It's not quite an experience people typically remember for its soundtrack.

Tempted to try out the console version. PC version feels a bit too twitchy sometimes. *queue I'm too old for this shit clip* I did all the twitch gaming shooter for years, I am kind of done with that style of shooters these days. I love the methodical build up and tactics, but then when the hammer hits primer, it is just keyboard and mouse twitch accuracy still for people mad good at PC shoters. The snap shots and accuracy of some people is pretty ridic. Not very fun being out sniped as Glaz by some shitty SMG from half a map away.

arimanius

So played a few games last night and I must say the speed of match making is so much better. Really a night a day difference. The game play seemed a little smoother as well but one thing I notice was it seem to take a lot more hits to down someone that it did previously. There were times I lite someone up, saw the hit markers and blood, yet they still lived when previously they would be dead 5 times over.

Anyone else notice this or was just this me imagining things?

Erban1

Tempted to try out the console version. PC version feels a bit too twitchy sometimes. *queue I'm too old for this shit clip* I did all the twitch gaming shooter for years, I am kind of done with that style of shooters these days. I love the methodical build up and tactics, but then when the hammer hits primer, it is just keyboard and mouse twitch accuracy still for people mad good at PC shoters. The snap shots and accuracy of some people is pretty ridic. Not very fun being out sniped as Glaz by some shitty SMG from half a map away.

You'll definitely be more at home on the consoles then...I've seen people play on PC and the pace is definitely much faster due to the accuracy of aiming with a mouse...if you have a ps4 join us! The group gets bigger every day.

It would be nice if Ubisoft forced their shitty service on people it actually provided meaningful features, like cross platfrom sync. I would be tempted more to double dip to try out PS4 if all my unlocks carried over.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Plane sucks but it is pretty funny picking Montagne and watching the defenders just completely flail helplessly after missing their nitros or w/e. Shields absolutely destroy that map, which is why I don't like it. Shieldplay isn't engaging or fun but it's so powerful on some maps I feel it would be detrimental not to take them. I'd rather shields weren't in the game at all though.

Just got pwned by an 1337 squad :/ they def play a lot, every attack were just a distraction allowing an enemy to move into position to catch our attention. Eventually the enemy team closed in and wrecked us.

Top Bottom