• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Another thing that's been pretty understated is how excellent the sound design is. You can hear people running above you like an annoying apartment neighbor or if someone fires a shot off a few rooms away it sounds appropriately muffled like when you hear a loud tv in a room over. The sound design is fucking excellent. Glaz's rifle sounds intimidating as shit when you hear it go off. I'd put it up there with Dice's Battlefield efforts as far as sound design is concerned. Play with headphones, or a good sound system if you can.

You guys are not helping :-D

Wallet just barely survived the steam sale!

tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif

Sound design may be up there with Battlefront for the best of the year. Most of the tension in this game comes from the sound of people moving that you can't see.

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Fuze is by far my favourite operator, brings a smile to my face when I get a kill with his grenades.

Game is very fun when you're playing with a team. Just need some Aussie operators, Ubi. ;)

This is GOTY. There I said it.

Multiplayer, it's definitely a contender. I couldn't say for sure, but I've not been as excited to play a MP game like this in a long time. COD, Halo, Destiny, Battlefront don't do it for me anymore. This game gives you one life, you better make it count and you feel like you earn every kill.

Single player though, Witcher 3 has that on lockdown.

ukas

Played my first few games (PS4). Super intense, just like the beta. Headphones definitely required. I've only been playing randoms and it's been fun, I gotta get some of my friends to grab this asap.

Also, is Amazon out of Siege copies???

It seems that way. I ordered a copy for my nephew sometime last week and mine has yet to ship. Luckily, it's for Christmas.

Another thing that's been pretty understated is how excellent the sound design is. You can hear people running above you like an annoying apartment neighbor or if someone fires a shot off a few rooms away it sounds appropriately muffled like when you hear a loud tv in a room over. The sound design is fucking excellent. Glaz's rifle sounds intimidating as shit when you hear it go off. I'd put it up there with Dice's Battlefield efforts as far as sound design is concerned. Play with headphones, or a good sound system if you can.

Yeah the sound design is great and really gives you a clue to where people are, and then when the dust falls from above on wooden surfaces due to them moving around... omg yes.

In the beta, regardless of having played for HOURS, I still got that little feeling of excitement and anxiety as a defender when you hear the first breaching charge of the round echo through the house. So good.

the dust falls from above on wooden surfaces due to them moving around... omg yes.
I was playing t hunt last night when I first saw this. I was like, "wait, no way, does that?" Awesome. I then noticed how chandeliers do the same thing. As a person moving around you can counteract that by crouch walking everywhere. I love it.
In the beta, regardless of having played for HOURS, I still got that little feeling of excitement and anxiety as a defender when you hear the first breaching charge of the round echo through the house. So good.
You feel like a dog who heard a single bark outside. Looking through every crack and listening as intensely as you can for any sign of movement. Great sound design for sure.

Bullitus

Bought the game (PS4). Now I'll just have to wait for my wife to go to bed and stop hogging the TV. The wait is killing me!

TheZink

I must say I bought this on a whim hoping for the glory days and it has delivered. I miss the days of tactical shooters like Rainbow and Ghost Recon. It reminds me of why I had such fond memories of the early days of XBL.

I got this on PS4 and tons of people are using mics. My son stepped on mine and broke it so I gotta get a new one soon.

I was playing t hunt last night when I first saw this. I was like, "wait, no way, does that?" Awesome. I then noticed how chandeliers do the same thing. As a person moving around you can counteract that by crouch walking everywhere. I love it.

Oh, I didn't know that was the case. Nice, another weapon in fighting those dirty CTU agents!

FairFight

Banned
Played my first few games (PS4). Super intense, just like the beta. Headphones definitely required. I've only been playing randoms and it's been fun, I gotta get some of my friends to grab this asap.

Also, is Amazon out of Siege copies???
I ordered from them the day before launch and I've had no movement on my order as well as no estimated delivery date. I don't think they ever got their stock. Probably going to cancel the order.

IMACOMPUTA

Does this game force you to create a uplay account to play mp on ps4?
I got my brother to get it and he deleted it because he said that's the case and he's apparently a paranoid old man.
I'm surprised its forced though...

Any pc gaffers looking to team up for some action? uplay: anm8

I'll be on in a few hours when I get home if you or any other GAF wanna add me.

Uplay: Krappadizzle.

Skel1ngton and I had a good time yesterday and got paired with a great team on the first go that stuck around for over an hour. It's funny I could hear the excitement in Skel1ingtons voice when we did our first successful VS. mode B&C on the first try. You could tell the other guys and myself had put a lot of hours in on the beta. It was a lot of fun.

What's the PS4 population like? I'm looking to get this game for Christmas but I want to make sure there will actually be enough people playing it for me to find games.

purg3

slept with Malkin
All of these positive impressions, might have to pick this up after work now...here I though this game was going to be garbage after middling talk during the alpha/beta periods.

Ralemont

not me
How is the game technically on PS4? Matchmaking? Bugs? Any reason to hold off for now or should I feel safe buying this for me and a friend for Xmas?

Animator

I'll be on in a few hours when I get home if you or any other GAF wanna add me.

Uplay: Krappadizzle.

Skel1ngton and I had a good time yesterday and got paired with a great team on the first go that stuck around for over an hour. It's funny I could hear the excitement in Skel1ingtons voice when we did our first successful VS. mode B&C on the first try. You could tell the other guys and myself had put a lot of hours in on the beta. It was a lot of fun.

Added you. Ping me anytime.

Do I need to buy this?
Do you really need to use intellect and wit to win, moreso than the Beta?
Oh fuck, I'm going to buy this, aren't I?
anigif_enhanced-buzz-10990-1393466792-9.gif

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Thinking of using my Elite controller on PC and setting a couple paddlesfor lean left/lean right.

Then setting the other two paddles for reload and crouch.

HiiiLife

This is GOTY. There I said it.

MP wise? easily. Fallout is my GOTY though.

It's sad people are sleeping on Siege because of hearsay prior to this games launch. I felt like it got so much hate and backlash throughout the months. It is genuinely great. Haven't been this invested into a FPS since MW2 in 2009.

6 fucking years of playing shooters that just didn't stick, till R6 came out. It basically renewed my interest in PvP shooters.

Daximuss

I played the closed Alpha and both Betas on the Xbox One and really enjoyed them. This game definately requires 100% teamwork and communication.

One thing that has been bugging the hell out of me though, is I cannot find get my controller's sensitivity to where I can turn horizontally or vertically and it feel right. It's either to floaty and fast or way to sluggish.

It's sad people are sleeping on Siege because of hearsay prior to this games launch. I felt like it got so much hate and backlash throughout the months. It is genuinely great. Haven't been this invested into a FPS since MW2 in 2009.

6 fucking years of playing shooters that just didn't stick, till R6 came out. It basically renewed my interest in PvP shooters.

To be fair, after that first closed beta, I think there was plenty of reason to be worried. Game was way too arcadey, some of the gadgets were OP and were easy mode, etc. Gunplay was pretty awful, from what I understand (they eventually overhauled the recoil system).

If anything, Siege is a case study on how important it is to test frequently with your audience and to actually consider and listen to their feedback.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
To be fair, after that first closed beta, I think there was plenty of reason to be worried. Game was way too arcadey, some of the gadgets were OP and were easy mode, etc. Gunplay was pretty awful, from what I understand (they eventually overhauled the recoil system).

If anything, Siege is a case study on how important it is to test frequently with your audience and to actually consider and listen to their feedback.

The problem is when your testing audience is public and not bound by NDA.
If anything is wrong the game will get railed and plenty of potential customers will already decide against the product.

Listening to a controlled audience during development is key. Listening to the consumers and remaining very agile with development after launch is also key.

Glaz. I feel I'm getting myself out of situations I shouldn't have, because his sniper is basically a one hit down.

Oh well.

I had heard people rave about Glaz and figured he'd be easy mode, but he's still a pretty niche operator. VERY high damage gun, but it's semi auto and his main ability is a scope with a decent amount of zoom, which makes it hard to use in *all* situations.

Still, he was one of my favs because his rifle is so satisfying to use and looks fucking awesome.

Actually, I'm really impressed with almost all the weapon models as well as their "material" texture/shaders.

The problem is when your testing audience is public and not bound by NDA.
If anything is wrong the game will get railed and plenty of potential customers will already decide against the product.

Listening to a controlled audience during development is key. Listening to the consumers and remaining very agile with development after launch is also key.

This is true, too. I was already lukewarm on Siege since the announcement because I frankly doubted their ability to pull off an MP game with the R6 "feel." Then the negative beta impressions came out (and they were REALLY negative), then found the SP missions are solo and no squad, etc...I was more than willing to write this game off, basically.

It's up against huge competition from known IP's. R6 is more of a hardcore shooter with semi realistic elements, so that right there reduces it's acceptance to the masses. No Single player also further reduces amount of people interested in the game. And the game has had a bit of history with it's development problems and restart. At best is to hope that word of mouth is good and that the game forms a long lasting cult following

Top Bottom