• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

DQDQDQ

Thermite charges not actually breaching walls has been really bad for me on PS4 since the Skull Rain patch. Prior to that patch it was very, very rare. Now I'd say it's happening in my games at least once an hour (maybe 1 in 3 matches), and I've seen it happen from both sides.

Left side of garage on Consulate, left side wall on the staircase side of CEO in Bank in particular I've seen numerous times.

Ivan 3414

I'm on Xbox One and I haven't experienced the Thermite glitch at all, although I did hear one player talking about it

Mind you, I don't play Thermite but to be fair he's usually on my Attack team <_<

andycapps

I didn't experience the Thermite glitch once playing this past weekend. Maybe played for 6-7 hours total, often as Thermite when attacking.

I did experience the glitch where they shot my Thermite charge through the reinforced wall, though.

Also, Ubi releases, on average, 3 patches between the major seasonal patches/content drops.
Seasonal patches are every 3 months. So if 3 patches between, that would be a month between each.

I haven't played much this week. Maybe 4 games, think it happened in 2 of them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say unless your error rate is in the low single digits, you have a problem. Not sure why people are defending this or not acknowledging the issue.

BTW, this team absolutely sucks at regression testing. This is when you test to ensure new features or builds don't break existing features.

Seasonal patches are every 3 months. So if 3 patches between, that would be a month between each.

I haven't played much this week. Maybe 4 games, think it happened in 2 of them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say unless your error rate is in the low single digits, you have a problem. Not sure why people are defending this or not acknowledging the issue.

BTW, this team absolutely sucks at regression testing. This is when you test to ensure new features or builds don't break existing features.

I don't think anyone here is defending or not acknowledging it. It's clearly something that's happening. It's in the list of 4.0 bugs on reddit and there have been separate threads about it.

I didn't personally experience it once playing for hours this weekend (and that's *all* I said), but maybe it has to do with specific maps, or even specific walls within those maps. I played a ton of Favelas, Border, and House this weekend, and didn't experience it once. Like I said, I did see the "shoot charge through walls" glitch a few times, which was frustrating.

3-4 patches between content drops is pretty solid. They're not necessarily one month apart, either. I remember early in Siege's life, we were getting patches once every 2 weeks or so, then it slowed, then it didn't really follow any kind of pattern.

4.0 7/31
3.4 7/11
3.3 6/16
3.2 5/26
3.1 5/11
3.0 5/9
2.3 3/24
2.2 3/6
2.1 2/10
(this is as far back as I can find)

I agree about their poor regression testing. I'm sure you know this, but it's also naive or short-sighted to think that more frequent patches are inherently better or easier than less frequent patches. There are unique challenges associated with continuous/frequent deployment schedules. The more often you change the code base, the more often you increase the chance for a failure and make it hard to run specific types of tests. It also requires constant/frequent changes to your staging environments. It's completely possible that the work done for the quarterly release follows a different development and QA process compared to the more frequent releases, too.

My company recently removed continuous release processes from our Engineering cycle. Since they were continuous, they didn't always hit the staging environment before release and didn't undergo the same amount of testing, automated or otherwise.

At the same time, all of this IS solvable. Pump more money into the Engineering department for more testing resources, improve staging/automation processes, or (the more severe options) switch development philosophies.

Honestly, I don't think Siege has been broken to the point to demand a change like this. There are plenty, PLENTY, of more broken games, with inept developers, out there--even within Ubi, as a company.

andycapps

I don't think anyone here is defending or not acknowledging it. It's clearly something that's happening. It's in the list of 4.0 bugs on reddit and there have been separate threads about it.

I didn't personally experience it once playing for hours this weekend (and that's *all* I said), but maybe it has to do with specific maps, or even specific walls within those maps. I played a ton of Favelas, Border, and House this weekend, and didn't experience it once. Like I said, I did see the "shoot charge through walls" glitch a few times, which was frustrating.

3-4 patches between content drops is pretty solid. They're not necessarily one month apart, either. I remember early in Siege's life, we were getting patches once every 2 weeks or so, then it slowed, then it didn't really follow any kind of pattern.

4.0 7/31
3.4 7/11
3.3 6/16
3.2 5/26
3.1 5/11
3.0 5/9
2.3 3/24
2.2 3/6
2.1 2/10
(this is as far back as I can find)

I agree about their poor regression testing. I'm sure you know this, but it's also naive or short-sighted to think that more frequent patches are inherently better or easier than less frequent patches. There are unique challenges associated with continuous/frequent deployment schedules. The more often you change the code base, the more often you increase the chance for a failure and make it hard to run specific types of tests. It also requires constant/frequent changes to your staging environments. It's completely possible that the work done for the quarterly release follows a different development and QA process compared to the more frequent releases, too.

My company recently removed continuous release processes from our Engineering cycle. Since they were continuous, they didn't always hit the staging environment before release and didn't undergo the same amount of testing, automated or otherwise.

At the same time, all of this IS solvable. Pump more money into the Engineering department for more testing resources, improve staging/automation processes, or (the more severe options) switch development philosophies.

Honestly, I don't think Siege has been broken to the point to demand a change like this. There are plenty, PLENTY, of more broken games, with inept developers, out there--even within Ubi, as a company.
Oh I'm not saying more frequent releases are typically better but it's certainly common in popular multiplayer games, and I appreciate a quick patch rectifying a known issue.

I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask them about their practices but wouldn't do much good to post them here since none of us work for them (though I sometimes wonder).

If they would actually respond to issues on their Twitter, that would be a step in the right direction. Most of the stuff they post is cool games people have or the matchmaking problems they might be having at the moment.

KodaRuss

Oh I'm not saying more frequent releases are typically better but it's certainly common in popular multiplayer games, and I appreciate a quick patch rectifying a known issue.

I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask them about their practices but wouldn't do much good to post them here since none of us work for them (though I sometimes wonder).

If they would actually respond to issues on their Twitter, that would be a step in the right direction. Most of the stuff they post is cool games people have or the matchmaking problems they might be having at the moment.

They are fairly active on the reddit page and their forums they have regular updates on known bugs and stuff.

Yeah, the software nerd in me would love to know what their processes/cycles look like. It seems pretty rare that we get those kinds of details in general, though.

Regression bugs are the worst, though. I know some companies tally them and penalize the teams based on how many are in each release.

Forgot how intense this game is with a good set o' cans. The audio design is fantastic in this game.

I was going through old recorded clips of mine and one was me prone for thirty seconds. I realized I recorded it when I had headphones on because of all the different and terrifying sounds I was hearing while defending. It's like Home Alone + a slasher movie sometimes.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I was going through old recorded clips of mine and one was me prone for thirty seconds. I realized I recorded it when I had headphones on because of all the different and terrifying sounds I was hearing while defending. It's like Home Alone + a slasher movie sometimes.

I can hear everything with my 5.1 headset, but when the tense music kicks in during the last seconds of a round I have to rely on my vision, because that music is just too loud.

Newlove

2 or 3 people are being kicked every game dude, is the hacking really this bad? I never noticed anyone cheating prior to Battle eye.

I played for the first time in months as well. I ain't ashamed to admit I trashed fools. I was playing with some nice folks from Ohio. I kept on being the last man standing, almost getting the clutch but bombing on the last person. Then I pulled one off and the whole room erupted. It was hilarious.

Auctopus

I played for the first time in months as well. I ain't ashamed to admit I trashed fools. I was playing with some nice folks from Ohio. I kept on being the last man standing, almost getting the clutch but bombing on the last person. Then I pulled one off and the whole room erupted. It was hilarious.

The moment in your Siege career when you develop a bit of bravado is a turning point. I just started wandering around the map to points where the opposing team would never expect to see me and I could change outcomes of matches easily.

2 or 3 people are being kicked every game dude, is the hacking really this bad? I never noticed anyone cheating prior to Battle eye.

I can't find it, but on reddit, someone posted a pic from a cheats forum. Other popular games had something like 1-3k posts in their subforums. The Siege forum, by comparison, had posts numbering the tens of thousands.

Just picked this up in the EU PSN sale and would love to squad up with some members of GAF who play. My PSN is PiPSmallie drop me a friend request with GAF in the subject.

HiiiLife

I turned it down to 10 and didn't notice any difference in volume, so I assumed some music elements are part of the Master volume.

Edit: Turned music down to 0. Tense music is still there.

Edit2: I lost every match this morning...

Damn. Sounds like a compete oversight on Ubis. The music is super annoying but for whatever reason I never really notice it in the heat of the moment. You just get dialed in when shit hits the fan lol.

Foxxsoxx

What's wrong with those people that want to kick you for no reason?

Gotta love the people that constantly TK without any sort of penalties whatsoever. It's a fucking plague on PS4. The game is great but alot of the community is horrible.

EDIT: Literally seconds after I typed that this dude kills 3 people on my team immediately and doesn't even get kicked.

The people on my team that get killed by him don't even try to kick him and he just keeps doing it. I'm going to go become an alcoholic now.

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

KodaRuss

Well everyone else was right I am starting to see that Thermite Glitch a lot now. Incredibly annoying.

It is also a pain when Jager places a charge on the wall that is reinforced and then breached. His gadget just stays there with a red blinking light floating in the air.

Kalentan

Is it still possible to escape the plane map during the drone phase? Began a ranked match where 3 of us died instantly the moment we got control of our characters.

HiiiLife

Is it still possible to escape the plane map during the drone phase? Began a ranked match where 3 of us died instantly the moment we got control of our characters.

It was a glitch when the game first released. It was fixed.

What a shame if Ubi somehow let the glitch slide back in with their latest patches lol.

Kalentan

It was a glitch when the game first released. It was fixed.

What a shame if Ubi somehow let the glitch slide back in with their latest patches lol.

Well, maybe I was a bit hasty. I did watch one of them in the next phase and they didn't escape. However 3 of them are all waiting just outside a broken door to run out and shoot.

Rocketz

I just learned you can turn off v-sync for T-Hunt. Holy shit the game feels so much better without it.

Yep it's the only way I've played the mode. Screen tearing is pretty obvious, at least in the Xbox version, but I can easily deal with it.

I showed my fiance that knows nothing about video games or framerates the difference and with in a couple seconds she goes "Oh god this is awful, please change it back"

HiiiLife

Well, maybe I was a bit hasty. I did watch one of them in the next phase and they didn't escape. However 3 of them are all waiting just outside a broken door to run out and shoot.

If that's the case then yes, I've seen that happen plenty of times. Sole reason I spawn near the tail of the plane instead.

Xater

Yep it's the only way I've played the mode. Screen tearing is pretty obvious, at least in the Xbox version, but I can easily deal with it.

I showed my fiance that knows nothing about video games or framerates the difference and with in a couple seconds she goes "Oh god this is awful, please change it back"

I'd rather deal with the tearing as well than playing through molasses.

Kalentan

Good to know people don't realize they could try and contest the objectives.

They always wait while the enemy takes the objective, in the hopes that for some reason, the enemy will leave. Then they end up losing anyway cause in the end they did NOTHING.

HiiiLife

I respect you if you carry on through the game like a champ, not me. Once you deliberately friendly fire me or vote to kick for no reason...I am joining back in to fuck your team over. Lol.

Usually people in a party too.

I'll keep coming baaaaaack.

Elitist1945

I respect you if you carry on through the game like a champ, not me. Once you deliberately friendly fire me or vote to kick for no reason...I am joining back in to fuck your team over. Lol.

Usually people in a party too.

I'll keep coming baaaaaack.

This happened to me and my friend today. They kept killing him and kicking him for no reason so I stayed and kept killing the hostage to make them lose. They got mad then.

Kalentan

Are there connection issues on PS4 right now? Me and at least one other person (not the same person), keep getting d/c in their match.

HiiiLife

This happened to me and my friend today. They kept killing him and kicking him for no reason so I stayed and kept killing the hostage to make them lose. They got mad then.

It's the fact that people (especially in groups of 3) think they can be assholes and get away with it. Nah bruh. Hope you're ready for this L because we're taking it together lol.

Top Bottom