• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Keyboard and mouse adapter for consoles

IQSK4Qy.gif

Basically using hacks

lulz.

Speaking of salty people and hacks, had a teammate using Caviera interrogate an enemy and reveal everyone's location, 2 happened to be right behind a barricade I was looking at already, icons popped up, opened fire, 2 headshots.

Look at chat, "you fucking hacker scum"

VERY gratifying. Dude has no idea what Caviera's ability is.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
lulz.

Speaking of salty people and hacks, had a teammate using Caviera interrogate an enemy and reveal everyone's location, 2 happened to be right behind a barricade I was looking at already, icons popped up, opened fire, 2 headshots.

Someone called out a Caveira interrogation while I was droning, so I popped out of my drone. No "detected" message popped up so I figured they were mistaken but nope, sure enough I got sprayed through a window as soon as I let my guard down. I guess you don't get the notice if you're on drone when it happens :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Made it to Diamond finally on Xbox. Not an easy climb at all. I think the shotgun rebalance helped get me over the top.

To anyone who's doing that shit without a XIM, you guys are savage psycho murder monsters!
You should be banned from gaf for intentionally trying to stir shit.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
You should be banned from gaf for intentionally trying to stir shit.
For what, talking about XIM?

I wonder what percentage of Diamond players use it. It's hard to tell for sure when watching killcams but I wouldn't be shocked if it's over 50% based on what I've seen.

My main concern with changing appearances too much is that it may alter the ability to recognize specific Operators/silhouettes. I feel like that's a pretty important aspect of the game.
Eh, the change doesn't really need to be all that big it could be something as small as a winter uniform for someone like Blackbeard while keeping the same exact "gear".

Or you can go so completely different that it is also instantly recognizable as that character.
For example
latest

For 1 of the Navy Seals or a wetsuit for example.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lulz.

He's not wrong. Unless MS licenses it and IMO removes aim assist while using it, it's bullshit.

XIM has been around for a long time, as long as I was playing Modern Warfare 2 I recall complaining about XIM users.

It provides an unfair advantage, you're playing a fundamentally different game to everyone else, and in my opinion, when used during online play, it is cheating. It doesn't matter if they remove aim assist with it in use or not (even though this game doesn't have any), it's a very significant advantage, aim assist or no, on Siege, or on any other FPS. Try taking a controller onto Siege or CS:GO on PC, it's a recipe for a bad time.

I wouldn't play with anyone using one competitively, and I wouldn't be disappointed if Ubisoft removed those using one from the ranking system, on this game, or any other.

If the games developer wanted keyboard and mouse used in-game then it's as simple as flipping a switch to allow developers to do so. The PS4 itself already supports keyboard and mouse, for it's UI, and games like Final Fantasy IV, but these devices are not used in-game because the developer has chosen not to allow it.

Honestly, I think it's pretty shitty. I play Siege on both PC and PS4 and you would get absolutely annihilated if you were using controller on PC. It's clear when people are using some kind of XIM setup and it's simply an unfair advantage frankly.

Glad to see Doc is getting a worthwhile buff, that's a great idea. Ubi REALLY needs to do something about Tachanka though. As it is, you barely ever see anyone get a kill with his turret, it's just way too easy to take out. Please Ubi, I really want chanka to be a viable option :/

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I understand what you mean but it's a very discernable motion. It's really jerky.

It's jerky because I'm terrible with it and am constantly lifting to adjust.
I'm not sure I follow. Generally you'd expect XIM aim to be smoother, right? If you're lifting your mouse a lot then yeah you are probably doing it wrong. If the first post was meant to refer to the left stick / WASD side, I'd say that analog movement is easy enough to differentiate, but it's also not uncommon with XIM users. I use a G13, primarily using the WASD buttons, but I have the stick mapped to movement as well in case I want to walk slowly. Plenty of people use PS Move for their left hands.

I'd say choppy corner-rounding in hipfire, i.e. a controller player doing little stick flicks can be a pretty accurate indicator of a controller player. That and low max turn speed. Slow 180s are pretty obvious. The lack of those things don't automatically equate to XIM though.

He's not wrong. Unless MS licenses it and IMO removes aim assist while using it, it's bullshit.
What about something like this? Officially licensed by Sony, and it's not going to disable aim assist. Does this thing's existence legitimize XIM by association, but only on PS4?

It provides an unfair advantage, you're playing a fundamentally different game to everyone else, and in my opinion, when used during online play, it is cheating.
But on a fundamental level, you're playing the same game. The XIM is limited to the same range of inputs as the controller. It doesn't transform the game into the PC version. You don't get dedicated lean buttons. You don't get infinite turn speed. You do get custom button mapping, and the ability to tweak the input curve, coincidentally both features that have shown up with the Xbox Elite controller.
It doesn't matter if they remove aim assist with it in use or not (even though this game doesn't have any), it's a very significant advantage, aim assist or no, on Siege, or on any other FPS. Try taking a controller onto Siege or CS:GO on PC, it's a recipe for a bad time.
What about PC games that don't support controllers? Are people that use mods that allow controller use cheating? Why not? Just because that controller happens to not be as good as the built-in controls?

What about things like custom fight sticks that aren't officially licensed and take some workarounds to get running on various platforms? They seem to be considered the proper tool for fighting games, and nobody has any sympathy for people that play fighting games on a gamepad.
I wouldn't play with anyone using one competitively, and I wouldn't be disappointed if Ubisoft removed those using one from the ranking system, on this game, or any other.
It's not detectable, they're not going to police people's streams or video clips and try to figure out if people are using it. As a practical matter, XIM isn't going away.
If the games developer wanted keyboard and mouse used in-game then it's as simple as flipping a switch to allow developers to do so. The PS4 itself already supports keyboard and mouse, for it's UI, and games like Final Fantasy IV, but these devices are not used in-game because the developer has chosen not to allow it.
I seriously doubt it's as simple to support as you're making it out to be.

I'm not sure I follow. Generally you'd expect XIM aim to be smoother, right? If you're lifting your mouse a lot then yeah you are probably doing it wrong. If the first post was meant to refer to the left stick / WASD side, I'd say that analog movement is easy enough to differentiate, but it's also not uncommon with XIM users. I use a G13, primarily using the WASD buttons, but I have the stick mapped to movement as well in case I want to walk slowly. Plenty of people use PS Move for their left hands.

I'd say its a combination of me being terrible and using a cheap mouse/sensor.

How's the G13? I've considered picking it up, but it doesn't look comfortable? Im using the PS Nav controller, but limited buttons and placement arent the greatest.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I'd say its a combination of me being terrible and using a cheap mouse/sensor.
The only reason I could see it would be if you don't have a good feel for the max speed you can move your mouse, and you're constantly going way faster wasting real estate on your mousepad.
How's the G13? I've considered picking it up, but it doesn't look comfortable? Im using the PS Nav controller, but limited buttons and placement arent the greatest.
G13 is ok. I've had to learn to like it a bit. I do actually find it to be really comfortable with the built in wrist rest. I keep meaning to get a decent wrist rest for my PC. The stick is a bit awkward but it's super handy, since if you use the WASD you can use it instead of turn assist for low turn speed games. Like in Destiny, I don't even use my mouse to steer my sparrow. Or, as I said, for Rainbow I just map it to left stick so I can move slowly when needed.

The keys are that typical mushy Logitech non-mechanical feel. Not great but I can live with it. And I feel like it should really have one more row of real keys above. If you're used to using say the 1 and 2 keys to switch weapons on PC, you need to figure out something else because the numbers just aren't there. Also the keys are laid out in a grid, not offset like a regular keyboard. It's an adjustment at first, but after using it a while I think it's a better, more comfortable layout. It doesn't bother me switching back and forth with regular keyboard either.

Overall I think if there was something out there with the same features I would want to try it, but as far as I can tell the G13 is the best thing out for the way I want to XIM. The Nostromo looks good but the stick is digital, and I'm not willing to lose analog functionality. That stick really does a lot to alleviate some of XIM's inherent flaws.

The only reason I could see it would be if you don't have a good feel for the max speed you can move your mouse, and you're constantly going way faster wasting real estate on your mousepad.

Yeah, I've noticed myself doing this quite often and haven't been able to adjust as well as I would have liked to.

G13 is ok. I've had to learn to like it a bit. I do actually find it to be really comfortable with the built in wrist rest. I keep meaning to get a decent wrist rest for my PC. The stick is a bit awkward but it's super handy, since if you use the WASD you can use it instead of turn assist for low turn speed games. Like in Destiny, I don't even use my mouse to steer my sparrow. Or, as I said, for Rainbow I just map it to left stick so I can move slowly when needed.

The keys are that typical mushy Logitech non-mechanical feel. Not great but I can live with it. And I feel like it should really have one more row of real keys above. If you're used to using say the 1 and 2 keys to switch weapons on PC, you need to figure out something else because the numbers just aren't there. Also the keys are laid out in a grid, not offset like a regular keyboard. It's an adjustment at first, but after using it a while I think it's a better, more comfortable layout. It doesn't bother me switching back and forth with regular keyboard either.

Overall I think if there was something out there with the same features I would want to try it, but as far as I can tell the G13 is the best thing out for the way I want to XIM. The Nostromo looks good but the stick is digital, and I'm not willing to lose analog functionality. That stick really does a lot to alleviate some of XIM's inherent flaws.

Thanks for the info. I may pick one up when I purchase a new mouse.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
One thing that might help if you're constantly oversampling is to use some acceleration... something like:

hLvtVsQ.png

As you move the mouse faster and hit the acceleration point your in-game turning will move faster than expected, which will naturally make you slow down, and you'll hit the max turn speed at a lower mouse movement speed. I personally don't do this with Rainbow, but I still do use it in games with slower max turn speeds. If it jumps in speed too much, flatten it out some more.

Also, as of the last patch, it seems that in game sensitivity that used to be max is now 83/100. If you haven't already crank that up to 100 and you'll waste less of your mouse motion.

One thing that might help if you're constantly oversampling is to use some acceleration... something like:

http://i.imgur.com/hLvtVsQ.png

As you move the mouse faster and hit the acceleration point your in-game turning will move faster than expected, which will naturally make you slow down, and you'll hit the max turn speed at a lower mouse movement speed. I personally don't do this with Rainbow, but I still do use it in games with slower max turn speeds. If it jumps in speed too much, flatten it out some more.

Also, as of the last patch, it seems that in game sensitivity that used to be max is now 83/100. If you haven't already crank that up to 100 and you'll waste less of your mouse motion.

I haven't messed with adjusting my own curves because, well, I just haven't really looked into them. I've tested one or two that were posted on the XIM forums but wasn't too fond of them as they felt too slow(?) or floaty(?). Something was off.

Either way, thanks for the tips. I'll do some tinkering this weekend.

KodaRuss

I have exactly 11 mins of playtime with Doc (Out of 217 Hours played), that will definitely go up with that Buff. I still find it hard to pick him over Rook though. Why not help everyone get more health instead of an off chance that you could pick someone up with your gun.

Jarrod38

Got two messages from my teammates telling me to uninstall the game because I'm bad and yet I was the last one remaining on my team. Also kind of hard to go up against a guy with machine gun.

Got two messages from my teammates telling me to uninstall the game because I'm bad and yet I was the last one remaining on my team. Also kind of hard to go up against a guy with machine gun.

I've been kicked twice because I was the last one on my team for 1 round, and everyone was just watching me play and critiquing everything. It makes me crazy because they already died. Everyone thinks they could do it better 30 seconds after they proved they couldn't.

foxdvd

My group of friends picked this up when it was on sale just for the Terrorist Hunt...we were worried that it would not have enough to do, but we have now put in well over 20 hours into this mode alone. It really is a blast, especially once you up the difficulty...

Here is a 50 second clip of why the game can be so much fun with friends....sorry ahead of time about my voice...I sure don't sound like I am in my 40's...but I am..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RwxNhOiLA

thenexus6

Forget it, the community seriously sucks most the time.

- Start round
- Get team killed for no reason
- Vote to kick them
- I get kicked

Happened too many times

K.Sabot

Sigh, I really want to get my Ubisoft account back so I can play this again.

This just makes me mad that uplay has to exist when I bought this via steam. It's just another way to get hacked / lose your account and not be able to play your game.

eiskaltnz

I can almost afford my first of the DLC operators and was trying to think about who I should get. I think I want a defender as I generally find there is someone I always feel I should pick on attack.

I am leaning towards Valk as her cameras are so useful. What does everyone thing?

thenexus6

I can almost afford my first of the DLC operators and was trying to think about who I should get. I think I want a defender as I generally find there is someone I always feel I should pick on attack.

I am leaning towards Valk as her cameras are so useful. What does everyone thing?

I have Frost, Blackbeard and Valk so far and I would recommend Valk the most..

I almost have 50k should I buy any of the others? or just wait for the second set of operators?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I fucking hate myself for not getting the gold edition when it was on sale for PS4. i got the vanilla version and grinding renow takes forever.

CrayToes

Think I'm done with this game competitively on PS4. I can't play a single game without someone (or everyone) on the opposing team having a ping of 150+ and just absolutely dominating. Why are people's PS4 connections so bad in Europe? Mine is never above 60.

Top Bottom