• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Are kbm users that prominent on ps4? Turns me off tremendously if true

Anywho this patch rocks. Just have to hope they didnt freaking break anything as they tend to do

Montagne is legit now, and Blackbeard can suck it. He still sounds useful but not obnoxious. Well needed nerf.

Chanka sounds fine. Not overly top tier but he doesnt have to be so long as he can threaten an entire lane.

I just don't enjoy it as much anymore since the timer changed to 3 minutes and haven't played it since, hoping for a rollback on that. Is there any word that they might change it again?

Yeah, me too. I was obsessed with Siege and played it basically every day for 6 months, and then they changed the timer and I haven't played since.

I think one of my favourite things in the patch is the change to Smoke, so that his gas canisters are thrown like a grenade rather than C4. When I saw it in the stream it almost looked silly how fast and far you can throw them now. Will definitely make him easier to play, I'm often killed mid throw

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I play a lot of Smoke, and the change to the way he throws his Beauties is very welcome, as is the buff to the FMG-9. I still feel like the Beauties should do more damage to keep up with Capitao's fire bolts. As far as area denial goes, they don't feel like nearly as threatening a deterrent.

QNwXIol.gif

I play a lot of Smoke, and the change to the way he throws his Beauties is very welcome, as is the buff to the FMG-9. I still feel like the Beauties .should do more damage to keep up with Capitao's fire bolts. As far as area denial goes, they don't feel like nearly as threatening a deterrent.

I think the damage would be fine if the gas lasted longer or filled a room better, as it its too easy to evade it currently, I usually have to deploy two to guarantee a kill with it.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, these Blackbeard nerfs have gone too far. I don't play him but I was already happy with the 150hp shields. The idea was that he could dominate an angle and force the defenders to fall back. Now it's super easy to get aggressive on him and watch him fall apart. No way would he be used competitively.

OG Kush

Wow, these Blackbeard nerfs have gone too far. I don't play him but I was already happy with the 150hp shields. The idea was that he could dominate an angle and force the defenders to fall back. Now it's super easy to get aggressive on him and watch him fall apart. No way would he be used competitively.

On one side I agree with you. On the other side I kind of also agree with the people who say he has no place in the game and his design is just lazy.

Her smg (and all smgs) has less recoil

I believe it's only 4 smgs that will have less recoil, according to reddit at least.

Dalibor68

Banned
I think an OT title change would kind of be in order because aside from little pre-launch videos this game has nothing to do with Idris Elba anymore and there are much better titles one could think of

I am looking forward to the patch. I have recently been playing more Mute, but Smoke is still one of my fav defenders so being able to properly throw the smoke bombs will be huge. You might actually be able to throw one behind people! and stop a retreat, instead of throwing it two feet in front of you and getting shot from exposing yourself. Will be curious to see how effective Tachanka is in multiplayer, probably still limited but improved. He will be a fun pick in Terrorist hunt though.

Edit: We def need new thread title. Something about this still being the best multiplayer game you should be playing. I legit feel that Jeff Gerstman just shitting on this game so hard when it first came out had a chilling effect for a chunk of gafers. He just labeled the whole thing as F2P wannabe garbage with microtransactions. Didn't mention the quality of the gameplay at all.

OG Kush

Edit: We def need new thread title. Something about this still being the best multiplayer game you should be playing. I legit feel that Jeff Gerstman just shitting on this game so hard when it first came out had a chilling effect for a chunk of gafers. He just labeled the whole thing as F2P wannabe garbage with microtransactions. Didn't mention the quality of the gameplay at all.

When/where did he mention this?

EDIT: wait wtf I clicked ranked and ended up joining a game that had ended and it was a loss. WTF.

Animator

Good. Fuck blackbeard and everyone who play him. That character was a mistake and should never have been in the game.

Yeah, me too. I was obsessed with Siege and played it basically every day for 6 months, and then they changed the timer and I haven't played since.

Wow really? I think the change is great. Attackers actually have to do the objective now and not loiter around or hold angles for a long time

Game is in desperate need of more ranks at the higher levels, especially on PS4.

There's times I come across Platinum players that are straight garbage for the rank and other times they are actually good/great.

You can easily tell who was carried to Gold and above by a friend who is good at the game.

When/where did he mention this?

EDIT: wait wtf I clicked ranked and ended up joining a game that had ended and it was a loss. WTF.

During one of the Bomcast podcasts around the time the game launched. He completely shut down conversation on the game. He also did during the GOTY discussions. He absolutely despises it.

I am looking forward to the patch. I have recently been playing more Mute, but Smoke is still one of my fav defenders so being able to properly throw the smoke bombs will be huge. You might actually be able to throw one behind people! and stop a retreat, instead of throwing it two feet in front of you and getting shot from exposing yourself. Will be curious to see how effective Tachanka is in multiplayer, probably still limited but improved. He will be a fun pick in Terrorist hunt though.

F2P wannabe garbage? Lord, that's rich. Siege of all games.

GB though, so I'm not surprised.

Dalibor68

Banned

I will never understand why people base their opinions/decision on one guy alone.

During one of the Bomcast podcasts around the time the game launched. He completely shut down conversation on the game. He also did during the GOTY discussions. He absolutely despises it.

Yeah he really did not give it a fair shake and he seemed to solely base his judgment on the mere existence of the renown boosters, which are not and never have been A Thing. But once Jeff makes up his mind on a game and has a line on it, that's pretty much the story with him, unfortunately. It's not his type of game to begin with but the way he wrote it off was extremely unfair.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
That's the guy who earned a lot of cred for his 'brave' review of Kane and Lynch on Gamespot while their site was reskinned with K&L marketing right? The Gies review on Polyon also harped on the microtransaction thing. I know this game had a bit of a rocky launch, it wasn't even in the best state when I got it in February. Frankly it has major technical issues right now, at least on Xbox. The PC version has been pretty rock solid for me. But there were a lot of lazy hatchet-piece hot takes on this game.

I think there's a real dearth of reviewers who can deep dive into a multiplayer game and come out with something useful to say regarding its mechanics and longevity.

Alienous

The Blackbeard nerfs seem justified.

In Siege having a face-shield is tantamount to having extra lives. If the face-shield can take two bulllets those are two times you should have been dead.

He should be someone who has a 1-2 bullet corner advantage but has to play the game like everyone else in every other scenario.

He's just a flawed concept for a character, like Pulse. An omnipotent non-situational ability that can only be balanced through drastic nerfing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The Blackbeard nerfs seem justified.

In Siege having a face-shield is tantamount to having extra lives. If the face-shield can take two bulllets those are two times you should have been dead.

He should be someone who has a 1-2 bullet corner advantage but has to play the game like everyone else in every other scenario.

He's just a flawed concept for a character, like Pulse. An omnipotent non-situational ability that can only be balanced through drastic nerfing.
At least with Pulse, that HBS comes from classic Rainbow.

Blackbeard is just frigging terrible, entirely.

I think the nerfing of Blackbeard is generally okay but don't think he's a garbage character. However, I think he would feel much more fair if his shield wasn't clear.

For a defender (at least for me) it would be much better if he couldn't see through his shield. Most of the time, if you are facing off against BB but don't know its him, the moment you shoot at him and see the white hit markers, you know "oh shit it's BB". Because BB can easily see and acquire a player who is shooting at him, he has an inherent advantage. If his shield weren't see through, it would give attackers more of a "oh shit, that's BB, getting back into cover/changing tactics" opportunity and may even force BB to stop peeking if he is unsure where the shots are coming from.

That's the guy who earned a lot of cred for his 'brave' review of Kane and Lynch on Gamespot while their site was reskinned with K&L marketing right? The Gies review on Polyon also harped on the microtransaction thing. I know this game had a bit of a rocky launch, it wasn't even in the best state when I got it in February. Frankly it has major technical issues right now, at least on Xbox. The PC version has been pretty rock solid for me. But there were a lot of lazy hatchet-piece hot takes on this game.

I think there's a real dearth of reviewers who can deep dive into a multiplayer game and come out with something useful to say regarding its mechanics and longevity.

He got fired because he gave the game a 6 and Eidos was very unhappy and Gamespot's leadership at the time had no backbone at all. He didn't review Siege though, but that didn't stop him from playing it briefly, dismissing it as not his thing, and still lazily ripping on it for the least offensive microtransactions ever on the podcast, while this game quietly set the standard for not splitting up the userbase via paid map packs.

But yeah, you're right on about multiplayer games coverage. Part of that is a time issue, critics can't play multiplayer games on live servers in advance, and they're not gonna get paid for spending 100 hours playing one. But the traditional AAA game review machine failed Siege spectacularly. Not entirely surprising given its niche appeal, but a smaller game without its brand recognition might not have survived the rough launch and found the long tail Siege has.

Detox

Journalists will dickride multiplayer games see:Evolve and Titanfall.

Siege got a bad rep because there was a vocal minority who bemoaned the lack of singleplayer and that it wasn't like Vegas. Journalists picked up on the bad vibes and didn't want another Evolve or fallout 4 on their hands so they shitted on the game.

Also it's difficult to explain this game and ubi did a bad job with it. Lack of content was a big negative for siege but once you play it you understand that one map is the equivalent of 3/4 in a traditional fps. Mobas have a similar problem but journalists let them slide because they understand mobas have a high learning curve. Siege is the first of its kind apart from maybe CS so it's hard for people to 'get it.'

Dalibor68

Banned
Journalists will dickride multiplayer games see:Evolve and Titanfall.

Siege got a bad rep because there was a vocal minority who bemoaned the lack of singleplayer and that it wasn't like Vegas. Journalists picked up on the bad vibes and didn't want another Evolve or fallout 4 on their hands so they shitted on the game.

Also it's difficult to explain this game and ubi did a bad job with it. Lack of content was a big negative for siege but once you play it you understand that one map is the equivalent of 3/4 in a traditional fps. Mobas have a similar problem but journalists let them slide because they understand mobas have a high learning curve. Siege is the first of its kind apart from maybe CS so it's hard for people to 'get it.'

Even a "goodguy" like Michael Huber from Easy Allies "dissed" the game a bit - in the GOTY video they were at the category of "Most Improved (since launch)" and Bosman suggested Siege and then Huber said "I think the only reason people think it's most improved is because it went free-to-play". How can someone be so ignorant. If I don't follow a games' post-launch support etc then why do I make shit up and talk as if I know what's up when I obviously dont?

Excited for the patch. Really hoping the outside light coming in being the brightness of staring into the sun is a substantial reduction. It is insane on PS4. I have to completely avoid windows when defending because I can't see anything but pure white on some maps.

Disgraced

Excited for the patch. Really hoping the outside light coming in being the brightness of staring into the sun is a substantial reduction. It is insane on PS4. I have to completely avoid windows when defending because I can't see anything but pure white on some maps.
I dunno, when I look out the window I like to think the blinding light is God the Lord beckoning or inspiring me.

Pachimari

I thought this was supposed to have been fixed in the last update? But I didn't notice any changes to it.

Animator

I really hope they finally fix the goddamn lighting this patch. It has been getting worse and worse.

LAM09

Me too. It's awful at times on PS4.

Top Bottom