• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Theecliff

Banned
... Why have I not played terrorist hunt before?

This game keeps on giving.
i enjoy playing it because there's a lot less pressure than actual matches but playing with randoms can get pretty annoying sometimes. people just sprint in without realising that you only have as much health as you do in normal matches, get killed almost immediately and then rage quit. or if you're playing one of the modes like defending a hostage, people run off to try and get the most kills, leaving the hostage unprotected and susceptible to large waves of enemies all coming into the room at the same time.

it does feel satisfying when you're the only one left (because of the aforementioned idiocy) and you manage to clear a house on your own, though. and funnily enough one of my favourite moments playing the game happened in terrorist hunt when me and this random guy were the last two left and were the perfect team, clearing rooms like pros without uttering a word to each other.

OG Kush

People just got used to not having to worry about him. Now they have to. Good.

Also stealth-buffed Jager in the process. He was kinda useless before, but now he has a purpose, and I don't feel guilty picking him for that nasty attacker-like primary.

Jager was useless?! nah mate you're lost there.

SliChillax

As someone who doesn't enjoy multiplayer games at all, I decided to buy this and I don't know why exactly. Maybe the close quarters battles interest me more than wide open maps and maybe unlocking different operators makes it interesting to me, gives me a reason to progress. I'm currently doing the situations and trying to get 3 stars on all of them and tbh I'm having a blast so far. After doing all of them I'll jump into mp. What operator should I unlock first??

That is funny about people saying Fuze now needs a nerf. I have heard people complaining about Glaz too. There are counters for everything in this game.

Rocketz

So if I were going to get into the game, which would be the version to buy? The complete edition or the year 2 edition?

Complete edition will get you both season passes so if you want to play the game and not have to worry about unlocking the DLC ops for 25k a piece, that's your best bet.

Complete edition will get you both season passes so if you want to play the game and not have to worry about unlocking the DLC ops for 25k a piece, that's your best bet.
I thought new content were free updates. How does it work in-game? Was thinking of getting the game

Rocketz

I thought new content were free updates. How does it work in-game? Was thinking of getting the game

Operators and Maps are "free" but Operators cost Renown (in game currency) to unlock. DLC Operators are 25,000 a piece and a normal victory win you can expect around 300-400 depending on how well you do. A loss will get you half of that. Base game Operators are considerably less but still have to be unlocked. They max out around 2000 renown I believe. Season 1 ended with 8 DLC Operators so that would cost you 200000 renown to unlock them all. There are challenges that you can do to grant you more renown. Gun skins, attachments, customization options all cost renown as well (some skins can only be bought with real money though).

The season pass unlocks these DLC Operators a week early and you don't need to spend any renown on them. So it's really an option of how do you want to spend your money/time. Season 2 pass is basically the same way as the Season 1 pass with the addition of some custom character skins.

etrain911

Operators and Maps are "free" but Operators cost Renown (in game currency) to unlock. DLC Operators are 25,000 a piece and a normal victory win you can expect around 300-400 depending on how well you do. A loss will get you half of that. Base game Operators are considerably less but still have to be unlocked. They max out around 2000 renown I believe. Season 1 ended with 8 DLC Operators so that would cost you 200000 renown to unlock them all. There are challenges that you can do to grant you more renown. Gun skins, attachments, customization options all cost renown as well (some skins can only be bought with real money though).

The season pass unlocks these DLC Operators a week early and you don't need to spend any renown on them. So it's really an option of how do you want to spend your money/time. Season 2 pass is basically the same way as the Season 1 pass with the addition of some custom character skins.

This was all super helpful! So between the PS4 and the PC which base has the healthiest community? The complete edition is on sale at Ubisoft's online store, but I don't want to jump in if the PC community isn't alive.

Fury451

Banned
This Blackbeard nerf is hilarious. If they want to decrease his picK rate as well as his kill rate, mission accomplished. I do agree that he was pretty deadly in the right hands before, but I never had an issue taking them down (or being taken down) even before they nerfed him the first time, and definitely not after they added low health shield cycling.

2 to 3 rounds to the shield basically shatters it. He's honestly pretty useless now.

Otherwise I've been pretty happy with all of the nerds and buffs, especially for Tachanka

Detox

This was all super helpful! So between the PS4 and the PC which base has the healthiest community? The complete edition is on sale at Ubisoft's online store, but I don't want to jump in if the PC community isn't alive.
Both platforms are healthy. You should decide based on friends, preferred control scheme and though I haven't played the console version from what I've seen the pc version is more fast paced.

If you're interested in competitive PC is where it's at.

Thinking of picking this up. How friendly is it to beginners? I'm always hesitant to jump into shooters like this, because my experience trying to get into games like CoD and Titanfall is just me dying a lot with my inferior gear and skills. Can you just play other beginners?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of picking this up. How friendly is it to beginners? I'm always hesitant to jump into shooters like this, because my experience trying to get into games like CoD and Titanfall is just me dying a lot with my inferior gear and skills. Can you just play other beginners?

It's a pretty brutal at the start, especially since you are highly dependent on understanding the map layouts. I didn't enjoy my first foray into it, at all - playing with a friend is a must so you can appreciate the strategy and communication potential that it has.

Now I'm enjoying it loads, but there are times where I rather opt for something less stressful, like Rocket League.

Disgraced

It can be a brutal game to get into but I can guarantee it won't be because of inferior gear or skills. Everyone's largely on the same playing field in that regard. It'll be because of the community—or more specifically impatient or straight-up dickhead teammates.

Watching the tutorials and playing a few of the brief singleplayer "Situations" will earn you enough currency to buy one vanilla offensive and defensive character each and some dot sights for their guns if irons aren't working for you. Play a match or two of the cooperative "Terrorist Hunt" mode before entering casual MM.

Characters I'd recommend to new players:
Offense - Sledge, Twitch, IQ, Fuze, *Buck
Defense - Rook, Doc, Pulse, *Echo
(*DLC)

Doing this or something like this will help a lot—exponentially so if you have a friend.

SliChillax

Man, I am loving this game. Completed all situations with 3 stars and article 5 was intense. Makes me wish it had a full campaign like that! Btw, is the year 1 season pass included already? I haven't bought any dlc since it's just cosmetic so I don't care about that but I'll get the year 2 season pass once I get a microphone and convince my friends to buy the game.

Man, I am loving this game. Completed all situations with 3 stars and article 5 was intense. Makes me wish it had a full campaign like that! Btw, is the year 1 season pass included already? I haven't bought any dlc since it's just cosmetic so I don't care about that but I'll get the year 2 season pass once I get a microphone and convince my friends to buy the game.
How long does that take? Looking forward to the single player stuff, little as there is, as well as multiplayer

SliChillax

How long does that take?

The single player stuff? Took me like 2 hours to get 3 stars on all situations on normal difficulty. It's not long but they helped me a lot to learn the maps and get used to the controls. It's very short especially the last mission which is like a proper story mission is only like half an hour long. Wish they made a full campaign.

Miker

People talk about the game being brutal to beginners, but if you're just patient and don't overextend, you're already a better player than 90% of the playerbase. Seriously, patience is arguably the greatest skill in the game, even above map knowledge, awareness, aim, etc. Aim isn't nearly as big of a factor in this game as most other shooters. It's at the other end of the spectrum vs. Titanfall and CoD.

People talk about the game being brutal to beginners, but if you're just patient and don't overextend, you're already a better player than 90% of the playerbase. Seriously, patience is arguably the greatest skill in the game, even above map knowledge, awareness, aim, etc. Aim isn't nearly as big of a factor in this game as most other shooters. It's at the other end of the spectrum vs. Titanfall and CoD.
I should be fine then. Since I don't have the years of shooter experience that a lot of other players do, I always tend to hang back and not rush into battle the few times I've play an online FPS. Of course that probably just gets me killed more because I'm not very aggressive and like to scope out places for good vantage spots

Even in Rocket League, I wait till the ball is touched first before making any significant moves

SliChillax

I should be fine then. Since I don't have the years of shooter experience that all of other players do, I always tend to hang back and not rush into battle the few times I've play an online FPS. Of course that probably just gets me killed more because I'm not very aggressive and like to scope out places for good vantage spots

Even in Rocket League, I wait till the ball is touched first before making an significant moves

I hate online games especially fps because I tend to suck at them. I don't have the same problem with this game because it requires you to be patient instead of quick scoping while doing a 360 spin. Unlocking different operators is a big push for me to keep playing so the progression system is well done. What I highly suggest is to learnt he maps well, all the hidden corners etc. I'm finally excited about playing a game online again, haven't played anything online regularly since Modern Warfare 2.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
If I get the Season 2 pass, do I still have to unlock the Season 1 Operators? Doesn't seem like a Season 1 pass is available

The Year 1 operators are apparently available in a bundle if you want to unlock them for cash. It's not a Year Pass anymore probably because the pass gets you a renown bonus and a discount on items. And 2 extra challenge slots. None of those apply to Y1 pass holders as we're now officially into Y2.

Also Y2 pass will give you enough 'real' currency to purchase one DLC operator. So between that and the aforementioned bonuses you can get the Y1 operators a bit more quickly. And of course the slight renown boost will get you your standard operators just a little quicker as well.

From a pure efficiency standpoint I would consider buying Y1 and not Y2. That gives you those 8 operators RIGHT NOW. If you play a lot you should be able to make enough renown for the Y2 operators. I mean it's only 50k for 2, and the first set doesn't drop for MONTHS. 50k isn't insignificant play time though, but if you play a lot and stay on top of your challenges you could save up enough renown for all of Y2 well before all the operators are even available.

And if you're not playing a lot, do you really need all the DLC operators anyway?

If you play ranked as soon as possible (gotta get to level 20 to unlock it), then theoretically you'll have a better time because you'll be playing against other people around your skill.

I say theoretically because you may play against some more experienced players in your first 10 matches before you get assigned a rank.

In casual, there really doesn't seem to be any skill or level based match making. I'm level 170 and I'm a diamond rank, yet I play casual and I'll get put against level 0-20 players all the time. At worst, it'll even stack my team unfairly against them too by have 5 level 100+ players against 5 new players.

I've never played with anybody off Gaf before, but if you can squad up with some of them from here I'm sure you'll enjoy the game a lot more than soloing it. Especially if you all have mics.

This Blackbeard nerf is hilarious. If they want to decrease his picK rate as well as his kill rate, mission accomplished. I do agree that he was pretty deadly in the right hands before, but I never had an issue taking them down (or being taken down) even before they nerfed him the first time, and definitely not after they added low health shield cycling.

2 to 3 rounds to the shield basically shatters it. He's honestly pretty useless now.

Otherwise I've been pretty happy with all of the nerds and buffs, especially for Tachanka

I'm so glad he got nerfed. Screw Blackbeard.

I ain't the best player but facing a team of Platinums and Diamonds on PS4 with a competent Blackbeard player on the enemy team was the worst. You can almost never contest him in a 1v1 and long angles? Might as well be dead.

His skill set was even worse on more narrower maps for defenders. Screw him. He needs a rework.

I'm pretty sure their reasoning behind it was heavily influenced by the PC season 3 pro league finals.

You really see how ridiculously powerful Blackbeard is at that high level play and the type of risks that the players took to take down an enemy BB, or even just taking them down on health.
Charging them round a corner with a shotgun, jumping out second story windows to get the drop on them, etc.
Because they know that as defenders, if they get stuck into a 1v1 against a Blackbeard then they'll lose that round.

That said, I'm happy with the nerf and I'm happy the Blackbeard meta is dead.
His whole gimmick/gadget rewarded bad players and punished good players/good aim the most.

Kalentan

Okay did they fix the ranking system in Ranked yet? Cause the fact that I got placed in Silver III and then lost twice and got dropped to Silver I is just bullshit. Makes ranks so worthless if you gain and lose them so easily. Is MMR a thing?

Not sure why they didn't just copy the system of making it so you had promo matches and such. Not just lose and gain so easily. Getting from Silver II to Silver I in League feels like you accomplished something. Going from Silver I to Silver II in Siege feels like the game was just being kind as to how many points you gained in that match.

Despite the amazing support they have given, the fact that Ranked still has 'Beta' next to it is really laughable sad.

Started the Situations

I got all three stars on the first one, but the second one isn't unlocked. Do I have to do the first on all the difficulties to continue?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Started the Situations

I got all three stars on the first one, but the second one isn't unlocked. Do I have to do the first on all the difficulties to continue?
No, you can play any difficulty.

Also make sure you watch those three videos for the free renown. It'll get you an operator right away.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
How do I do that? On Steam I can only buy Year 2.

Good question, I don't see it either. The articles from when they announced Y2 said it's supposed to be available for 2400 R6 bux, which I think is $20.

Don't forget to watch the tutorials. Or click and skip them. They will award some easy one-time renown.

SliChillax

Good question, I don't see it either. The articles from when they announced Y2 said it's supposed to be available for 2400 R6 bux, which I think is $20.

Don't forget to watch the tutorials. Or click and skip them. They will award some easy one-time renown.
I already have the 8 added operators but I have to unlock them. Does that mean I have year 1?

Animator

Well this is confusing. Maybe if I buy Year 2 they'll unlock who knows. Atm the new operators are 25000 renown each which is crazy

No year 2 pass is for year 2 ops. 25k is not crazy that's like one dlc operator every week or so with 1-2 hours play a night. It takes much longer than that to master the characters anyway and you don't need to unlock every op right away or ever.

SliChillax

No year 2 pass is for year 2 ops. 25k is not crazy that's like one dlc operator every week or so with 1-2 hours play a night. It takes much longer than that to master the characters anyway and you don't need to unlock every op right away or ever.

I see. So what else am I missing from not having the year 1 season pass?

Evolved1

I see. So what else am I missing from not having the year 1 season pass?
Not really anything?

Siege is not the evil microtransaction bogeyman it was advertised to be. That stuff is there, and maybe it could be better? But it's working, and the community is not splintered. You have the maps, the weapons, and access to the operators.

I just started up playing again and I'm sitting on 30K renown.

Fuze is great, but there are a good number of counters. I am finding there is always an asshole roaming right upstairs, so Im always getting wrecked lol. Also, I can hear Fuze when he places on windows, allowing for very easy kills. Pulse also gets a nice justification to exist, as he can also counter Fuze well.

I have no issue with Fuze. 1 Speed Operators like him suffer enough as is when it comes to peeking in this game.

Tachanka still feels weak, and I think the recoil on console is absurd. It makes long distance near impossible.

I am always dying by peekers. They know exactly where I am and can decide when they want to peek, and Tachanka's head is slightly exposed so they can one shot me. I wish they'd just let Tachanka be more powerful. Just let him lock down an entire hallway.

My head shouldn't be so easily exposed. He's already countered perfectly by nades, and Capitao anyway.

Twitch does a great job too. Yet he's still very vulnerable because he's a sitting duck. Ive yet to see him used effectively, as most attackers roll through him.

Smoke is fantastic. Easily going to get a 100% pickrate in pro games. He's also the best Montagne counter, who is an absolute joy to play now too.

Funny enough, I think Echo has turned out to be quite useless. I think missing the Echo drone results in it being exposed slightly, which gives attackers enough time to see and destroy it.

IQ was supposed to be a good counter, but she's still totally unnecessary and a waste. I still wish to see her buffed, but what's the point when electronic gadgets are so easily countered? I'd still suggest buffing Kapkan. 2 speed operator, 2 traps only, but make them even harder to see.

Force attackers to get good intel by seeing where Kapkan places his traps, and then utilizing Twitch, Thatcher, intel to destroy them.

Right now, Kapkan traps are near invisible on SOME maps, especially day maps with red carpeting. But this seems useless on night maps, as the lasers are very visible.

And since color blind players never seem them anyway, just make it a balanced playing field and make them hard for everyone to see. Reduce it to 2 traps only.

Everytime I think IQ is ready to be added into the meta, the game proves that electronics are so very easily dealt with, and she's way too vulnerable having to pull out her device.

Hopefully, Fuze's popularity results in more Pulse, which results in more IQ.

Everyone is pretty great as far as viability goes now. Even Glaz feels wonderfully powerful. Castle's buff was the reduced ranked timer, though I still hope he gets just one more barricade or at least better resilience to grenades.

Evolved1

IQ's device should be mounted on her primary like a canted iron sight.

But Idk if even that would make her relevant.

My suggestion for IQ is three parts:
  • Canted gadget on primary.
  • Allow her to somehow mark electronics for teammates.
  • Stealth-buff via buffing other operators. Make her more relevant in the meta.

Again, even then Idk. I imagine IQ is probably tied for lowest pick rate in pro league with Tank, Mountain, and Glaz. At zero. (i dont know what the actual pick rates are)

Edit: actually canted mount might not even work because of the lean mechanics. So scratch that idea.

SliChillax

Not really anything?

Siege is not the evil microtransaction bogeyman it was advertised to be. That stuff is there, and maybe it could be better? But it's working, and the community is not splintered. You have the maps, the weapons, and access to the operators.

I just started up playing again and I'm sitting on 30K renown.

I love this game already.

IQ has needed a buff for a while because she also has the coolest guns but it's not worth taking her. She's always been overshadowed by thatcher's ability.

IQ has needed a buff for a while because she also has the coolest guns but it's not worth taking her. She's always been overshadowed by thatcher's ability.

They need to make the outlines of the stuff she's looking at more instantly recognizable. A lot of the time when I'm scanning, I'm not super sure what it is I'm looking at through the wall, floor or window.

It would be nice also that if you scan something, there's a few seconds of permanence on your screen so you don't have to her gadget out the whole time, allow you to switch to your primary. Better yet, rework her ability entirely and have it work like an EMP, but instead of taking out electronics, it pings everything within a radius and all of the pinged gadgets show up on everyone's screens for X number of seconds.

Top Bottom