• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

fr0st

Banned
Hey all - I just got the starter bundle for Siege, so I'm in the thread now too, haha.

Question : Is there a "recommended" way to spend the credits you earn? Like, it makes more sense to buy packs than characters, stuff like that?
Can you still refund that?

If you can do so since the base game is better in every way possible

TheKeyPit

Banned
Why do a lot of Defenders have to be so aggressive?
Only one guy left in the Attacker-team? Run out, search for him and kill him.

Yeah...

Then everyone gets killed by that one person...

I hate those players.

Yeah...

I hate those players.

It's delicious to exploit the greed of those people when attacking though.

Especially when they'll leave the objective (and cover) to do it. The best is when you rush the objective and start securing and you basically swap roles with the defenders as they all try to hurry back and stop you.

Oh dear why did you have to buy the starter edition? It's cheaper but it's also a time waster. In normal edition you can unlock every single original operator in about 10 hours and one DLC operator each in about the same time frame. With starter edition you are looking at 5-6 hours to unlock even one of the original base operators and the same 10 hours or so for DLC operators.

Also yes, you should spend renown on operators rather than alpha packs.

Ha, I bought it because someone else mentioned getting the starter edition since it wasn't horrible in regards to unlocks and all of the that kinda stuff. Oh well, shit happens :)

Do the operators ever go on sale? Or should I just grab one per category as I go through?

nOoblet16

Yeah...

I hate those players.

They forget they're playing Rainbow Six and think it's called Rambo six

Here's what the Special Duties Unit is equipped with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Duties_Unit#Equipment_and_Weapons

I think they are more Western linked due to their origins in British Hong Kong and links to the SAS.

On a side note: what about this idea for an IQ rework. Her tool detects electronic devices but also hacks them. Make the cameras see no enemy operators for an amount of time. Turn off a jammer. Maybe reverse a bandit charge or kapkan device. Turns the laser blue so you can notice but you have to watch out for it. Detonate an enemy nitro cell or gas charge. Give it a set number of charges and maybe a hack duration plus short "casting" time. Just spitballing but I think it could make her a nice alternate to thatcher. Like a targeted thatcher but with a stealth component. With thatcher you know they are there but with this defenders would have to listen and be aware of surroundings. Could be OP but I think it could be intelligently balanced in a way to bring IQ up in the pick rate and differentiate her from Thatcher who right now does everything better.

nOoblet16

I think they are more Western linked due to their origins in British Hong Kong and links to the SAS.

On a side note: what about this idea for an IQ rework. Her tool detects electronic devices but also hacks them. Make the cameras see no enemy operators for an amount of time. Turn off a jammer. Maybe reverse a bandit charge or kapkan device. Turns the laser blue so you can notice but you have to watch out for it. Detonate an enemy nitro cell or gas charge. Give it a set number of charges and maybe a hack duration plus short "casting" time. Just spitballing but I think it could make her a nice alternate to thatcher. Like a targeted thatcher but with a stealth component. With thatcher you know they are there but with this defenders would have to listen and be aware of surroundings. Could be OP but I think it could be intelligently balanced in a way to bring IQ up in the pick rate and differentiate her from Thatcher who right now does everything better.
You mean hacking the camera so that looking at it doesn't show any attackers and makes it look normal? That would be very OP.

As for disabling mute and Bandit, Thatcher's already very OP at that with one emp disabling everything in one go in a fairly large radius. Then there's twitch too. Rewiring Kaplan traps though, could work well. They'd just have to colour code it so friendly traps are different colour than hostile.

You mean hacking the camera so that looking at it doesn't show any attackers and makes it look normal? That would be very OP.

As for disabling mute and Bandit, Thatcher's already very OP at that with one emp disabling everything in one go in a fairly large radius. Then there's twitch too. Rewiring Kaplan traps though, could work well. They'd just have to colour code it so friendly traps are different colour than hostile.

You could tweak it. Each 'hack' should be noticeable if you're paying attention but stealthy enough to catch people unaware. Like rewiring a Kapkan trap turns it blue. Or the jammer stops making noise and Bandit's batteries stop crackling. You could hear the quick tapping too. Like when you're setting the defuser but the hack only takes a second or so. Maybe a hack only last 30 seconds but you get 6 charges or it's permanent and you get 3.

I think that would differentiate it from Thatcher's capabilities while being just as powerful.

nOoblet16

Pretty shitty that they decided to scrap the polish map. I mean they must have the layout and idea somewhere unless they never worked on it at all which is hard to believe. So why not just finish it and release it next season?

Siege has had a lot of operators since launch but only 5 new maps and one map not designed for multiplayer.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Wtf is happening here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDx1HRUQb3s

Edit: And I right in assuming the first shot was a body shot and the 2nd one was a headshot?
Or are both bullets body shots? In which case it doesn't make sense that it'd do 97.50% damage from a hit from that range on a 3 armour + plating operator.
kF5q8dP.png

Looks like first shot through the snowbank for minimum damage, second shot to the head thanks to the kick of the first shot. He also happens to strafe right at exactly the right time to keep his aim on target horizontally.

Pretty shitty that they decided to scrap the polish map. I mean they must have the layout and idea somewhere unless they never worked on it at all which is hard to believe. So why not just finish it and release it next season?
Well they claimed that they had some initial work done for the South Korea map, or that it was farther along than Poland. If you recall the first leak of Year 2 indicated Israel for Y2S3. So I guess it's plausible that as the last map they decided on that it had the least amount of work done depending on their process. If they announce Year 3 and it doesn't involve circling back around to a Poland map I think there's going to be some more backlash over it.

Siege has had a lot of operators since launch but only 5 new maps and one map not designed for multiplayer.
it would be nice if they still managed to get it out, but I wouldnt hold my breath. Siege maps are by far the most complicated maps in any MP shooter, and the team that builds the maps spent all of what would be the polish season fixing bugs in other maps.

Erban1

Yeah...

I hate those players.

The COD gene kicks in, add in a claymore and wonderful things happen.

Honestly I'm kind of disappointed with the new operator abilities, they are just rehash/remix of already existing things packaged in a new box.

Ying's flash charges being pretty much cluster charges with flashbangs is like eh but I suppose being able to deploy them like a grenade is nice but it's still just a flashbang and they are still very inconsistent. Lesion's Gu is basically smoke mixed with barb wire (meaning they might nerf barb wire now). And Ela Grzmot is Echo without a drone.

And what's makes it worse is that the latter two abilities are both deployed as a mine. I donno maybe I'm seeing things but none of it feels really original like say Blackbeard, Frost, Mira, Jackal, Echo, Caveira, Capitao. All of them brought totally new abilities in the game rather than remixing existing ones.

Well we thought the same of Buck/Sledge, Frost/Kapkan, Smoke/Echo

I think the focus on trap operators is great as the focus this time around seems to be balancing out the OP 3 speed ops against the 1 speed Ops

Last season was also more about discouraging roaming for example

I expect future ops to avoid any more trap gadgets though.

As similar as they seem, theyll have their own strengths on certain maps and objectives

For example, echo still interrupts planting and acts as an extra Drone while polish op would be proximity based with a tota of 4

Im sure theyll balance out things too. Id like to see echo mark enemies with his stun or be more invisible/silent or stronger against explosive damage

In some ways, Bandit/Mute, Rook/Doc, Montie/Blitz would be seen as redundant too

They will, the second one is coming after third season. No Polish map though.

Rumour is Polish map is being worked on like Bartlett. Season 2 wont be the end of siege and I expect to see them release the Polish map

Id rather she can temporarily disable a few traps

This would make her an alternative to twitch and thatcher

LAM09

Not that excited by the new ops abilities. Will wait till I see them in action, though.

Hope the new map is interesting & balanced.

The cosmetics in this game have gone so far past realistic yet people are complaining about green hair. Most teams are made up of clowns, pirates, football players and fucking gimps but green hair? Too far, man.

I've complained about the ridiculous cosmetics from the start. Most of the cosmetics in the game are tasteless trash. And then I see some redditor making much better fan-made tacticool designs and makes me wonder what the fuck is Ubi smoking.

Auctopus

Green hair is nothing compared to what they've already done. My only concern is silhouettes. Similar to one panel from that comic, I don't want it to get to the point where I have to guess who the clown with the bright pink hair and jetpack was who darted across the corridor.

nOoblet16

They should also get rid of completely black outfits from certain operators (Ash, Pulse, and to some extent Mute and Smoke). They are the only operators with really dark outfits and it makes things really hard to see compared to other operators. Ash in particular is ridiculous because of that + small frame + 3 speed.

Also their ingame faces of operators are absolute crap, watch how the totally waifu bait Ela gets a derp face in game.
Even the new Valkyrie doesn't really look anything like her art. An 8th gen game from a big name studio having this sort of difference between art and ingame render is unheard of. And they are leaning more and more towards making operators with fully visible faces and not have them wear any glasses/mask..especially for the female operators.

They should also get rid of completely black outfits from certain operators (Ash, Pulse, and to some extent Mute and Smoke). They are the only operators with really dark outfits and it makes things really hard to see compared to other operators. Ash in particular is ridiculous because of that + small frame + 3 speed.

Also their ingame faces of operators are absolute crap, watch how the totally waifu bait Ela gets a derp face in game.
Even the new Valkyrie doesn't really look anything like her art. An 8th gen game from a big name studio having this sort of difference between art and ingame render is unheard of. And they are leaning more and more towards making operators with fully visible faces and not have them wear any glasses/mask..especially for the female operators.
I mean...this was already in the leak posts last page
zIDv5BC.jpg

nOoblet16

I mean...this was already in the leak posts last page
zIDv5BC.jpg

Can barely see anything in that though. Can't tell much without seeing her full face or atleast the eyes or chin, even if it's from the side.

Which makes me thing, what if Ubi made her artwork pose to the side because they knew they couldn't get the waifu face right ? Keanureeves.jpg

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
They should just have a 'disable cosmetics' toggle. I don't have too much trouble ID-ing operators for the most part, though for some reason the Scrooge McDuck elite uniform always throws me off. I think the green makes me think Capitao. For that matter I have never been any good at telling the SAS operators apart.... to the point of TKing on occasion. Like hey, do every single one of you motherfuckers need to wear a gas mask? How about this? How about only SMOKE wears the gas mask.

And yeah. Green default hair is kind of stupid.

nOoblet16

They should just have a 'disable cosmetics' toggle. I don't have too much trouble ID-ing operators for the most part, though for some reason the Scrooge McDuck elite uniform always throws me off. I think the green makes me think Capitao. For that matter I have never been any good at telling the SAS operators apart.... to the point of TKing on occasion. Like hey, do every single one of you motherfuckers need to wear a gas mask? How about this? How about only SMOKE wears the gas mask.

And yeah. Green default hair is kind of stupid.
Which one is Scrooge McDuck?

And yes it's incredibly difficult to tell SAS operators apart. And when the enemy team has both smoke and mute you're like "Smoke was last in OBJ at 5% health" 10 seconds later partner engages Smoke aggressively in some other place finds out he had full health. And you're like oh.

It's the same with Sledge and Thatcher, unless you see the hammer you can't tell them apart. I go "I got Thatcher, reinforcements are clear" *5 seconds later* "Emp out disabling electronics"

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Maybe it's more Glomgold since he's always rocking the kilt/green. But the Sledge elite:

Between the beret and the green I always think Capitao first. I mean I usually figure it out if I see him for more than a second but I mess up this ID at a glance all the time.

I may have called out a Bandit yesterday when it was really the new Pulse elite. Probably because it's so bright, but I think I'll adjust to this one after seeing it a few times.

Which one is Scrooge McDuck?

And yes it's incredibly difficult to tell SAS operators apart. And when the enemy team has both smoke and mute you're like "Smoke was last in OBJ at 5% health" 10 seconds later partner engages Smoke aggressively in some other place finds out he had full health. And you're like oh.

It's the same with Sledge and Thatcher, unless you see the hammer you can't tell them apart. I go "I got Thatcher, reinforcements are clear" *5 seconds later* "Emp out disabling electronics"
once someone is dead their player card should update no matter what to show their character. That would at least allow you to double check at a quick glance who you killed

nOoblet16

once someone is dead their player card should update no matter what to show their character. That would at least allow you to double check at a quick glance who you killed
Yes but if the enemy ID has not been scanned (which often happens) their card won't show their operator name even if they are killed. It happens quite often, especially early in round that you'd kill or get killed by someone that hasn't been scanned yet.

Also if you only damage/injure someone and not actually kill them then you won't really be able to tell who it is unless you identify them visually or by their ability...even if their is has been scanned.

I don't mind cosmetics being goofy (hello Jigsaw Valkyrie) but I think the default appearances should be something that fits with the serious special ops appearance. Being defaulted to green hair (and having it be part of her portrait) is the weird part to me, if it was an optional cosmetic I wouldn't care.

Disgraced

I don't mind cosmetics being goofy (hello Jigsaw Valkyrie) but I think the default appearances should be something that fits with the serious special ops appearance. Being defaulted to green hair (and having it be part of her portrait) is the weird part to me, if it was an optional cosmetic I wouldn't care.
...There's nothing unrealistic or even that weird about green hair. Even a woman with green hair in GROM—in Rainbow Six.

In fact, I would kind of expect a bad motherfuckin' woman in the best, blackest special forces unit in the world to have crazy hair. Normal people don't end up there.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
...There's nothing unrealistic or even that weird about green hair. Even a woman with green hair in GROM—in Rainbow Six.

In fact, I would kind of expect a bad motherfuckin' woman in the best, blackest special forces unit in the world to have crazy hair. Normal people don't end up there.
I dunno, I think Tumblr more than special forces when I hear crazy hair colors.

The rumor is that it's a reallocation, not a total removal. Jäger and Bandit lose theirs, operators like Kapkan and Chanka possibly gain them.

That SMG of theirs would see a lot of play for spawn killing if they get ACOGs. The only thing that really holds it back is the operators are fat and useless.

Yes but if the enemy ID has not been scanned (which often happens) their card won't show their operator name even if they are killed. It happens quite often, especially early in round that you'd kill or get killed by someone that hasn't been scanned yet.

Also if you only damage/injure someone and not actually kill them then you won't really be able to tell who it is unless you identify them visually or by their ability...even if their is has been scanned.
I know, thats why I said should

Though for the second scenario I dont have an answer to that off the top of my head

Top Bottom