• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

mbmonk

The most expensive operator is like 2k to unlock currently? In the future it's 25k? Having such a high cost is going to reward the consistent R6S players (good) and encourage people who put the game down for awhile to just buy them (crappy). Because really who is going to grind 25k or 50k for two?

This is absurd in terms of price if they don't adjust the renown earn rate per match.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
At the cost of everyone else. There's nothing reasonable about that pricing.

It's really going to depend on the health of the community and how long it will hold the attention of players if the available pool of opponents stagnates. Right now, I can easily put 5-7 hours in a row of playing with my group depending on work/school schedules, but we've also noticed a lot of repeat players we've fought in previous days. Today's patch should do wonders for hit registration and other issues, but will fixes be enough to keep people playing over time, while drawing new players in? And what of the new maps/operators? If those fail to make an impression, how will the community fare? Siege is in a delicate place right now where if it fails to gain traction, the eventual decay of any multiplayer community will whittle down players and make that 25k per operator unlock fee more unreasonable. You won't play as much if there's only so many people around.

It's obvious that they want to create a monetization strategy that mostly stays out of the way of the community while still bringing in dollars over the game's lifespan to continue funding development. But there's a line in the proposition of Time vs Value that will begin to become unevenly skewed as we get further from launch and the potential for apathy sets in. I don't really know what they could do to address such a problem, though. Perhaps following a tiered unlock system similar to League of Legends, etc, where the general Renown cost for an operator lowers after a few months, which encourages newer players to pick up a few of the extras while still waving the season pass as a way to fast-track and get straight to the carrot on the stick.

I mean, they could just lower the Renown cost before the first operator hits, but that would potentially cut into their Season Pass purchases, which is clearly the lifeline funds for Siege moving forward.

Are the servers still down for PC? Figured since they said it would be down for an hour that they were back up by now but I still can't seem to connect, but at the same time I'm not even sure if I've downloaded the patch or how to patch on Uplay.

Valkrai

Are the servers still down for PC? Figured since they said it would be down for an hour that they were back up by now but I still can't seem to connect, but at the same time I'm not even sure if I've downloaded the patch or how to patch on Uplay.

It should automatically download on Uplay upon starting. Servers are up for me on PC, so you should be ok.

Servers are up, restart Uplay and you should be good to go.

Servers are up, restart Uplay and you should be good to go.

It should automatically download on Uplay upon starting. Servers are up for me on PC, so you should be ok.

Huh, that's kinda strange. Restarted and still no luck, it won't download the update and launching the game all I get is a failed attempt at connecting to the server. The only cause I could think of is maybe by opting for the 4k textures Uplay is forcing that download before queuing the update, in which case I totally screwed myself as I'm almost halfway through that now but with 3 hours to go. I can't seem to find any way to try and force the update either and simply pausing the textures download isn't allowing it to queue up either.

manhack

I haven't seen it suggested anywhere, but I'm sure it has: if they really want to give this game some long legs, they should make the map editor available and provide some ways for the community to create maps and get put into official playlists over time. Probably never will happen, but modders could truly take this game to a whole new level and ubisoft could still keep a tight reign on their official playlists.

Klyka

Banned
Just played a couple rounds on PC and this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Like,it is infinitely better.

You can actually peak, people move properly, no more bullshit deaths and the killcams work too.

Great patch Ubisoft, 10/10

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wish there was a way to lean without ADS... most of the optics block too much of the screen and any magnification takes away too much peripheral vision. Sometimes you just want a quick peak around a corner with a wider fov.

Maybe press L3 and use R-Stick to lean right/left? Idk... something at least.

Klyka

Banned
Wish there was a way to lean without ADS... most of the optics block too much of the screen and any magnification takes away too much peripheral vision. Sometimes you just want a quick peak around a corner with a wider fov.

Maybe press L3 and use R-Stick to lean right/left? Idk... something at least.

You can't lean outside of ADS on console??

IMACOMPUTA

of course. Just press Q or E

I feel jipped

Yeah, you don't have to be ADS to lean on PC, which is pretty nice. But hey PC Master Race right?

I went back and forth deciding between ps4 and PC. Ultimately chose ps4 because after playing alpha/beta on both I thought the game felt more at home on a controller.
I guess I forgot that you could lean outside of ADS on PC. That might have influenced my decision.
Oh well.
Will you guys be on tonight? We should play.

E-flux

After the patch all ranked games i have tried have started without there being a fifth player on my team, weird thing is that in the search phase it hasn't found anybody for the fifth slot so it has just started so it's not like the people keep constantly leaving just as the game starts. Super frustrating.

IMACOMPUTA

After the patch all ranked games i have tried have started without there being a fifth player on my team, weird thing is that in the search phase it hasn't found anybody for the fifth slot so it has just started so it's not like the people keep constantly leaving just as the game starts. Super frustrating.
Ive only played ranked a couple of times. Once it threw me into a match in progress -- that was over.
All I ever saw was the final scoreboard and it said Defeat.
Do they really throw you into matches already in progress or was that a bug? Because that is beyond dumb.

Evolved1

can even just walk around leaning the whole time and switch in and out ADS without resetting it.
So it's already in the game, just not on the sticks. Okay. I think my suggestion would be a good solution.

Animator

Just played a couple rounds on PC and this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Like,it is infinitely better.

You can actually peak, people move properly, no more bullshit deaths and the killcams work too.

Great patch Ubisoft, 10/10

fffffffuuuuu you just made the rest of my workday feel longer ;_;

Also holy shit at those bitching about renown requirement for new operators. Just playing casually 3-5 matches a day will get you all the renown you need for the new operators. You get near 300 renown per match and the first operators come out a month+ from now. Be glad we are getting the content for free and not mandatory paid dlc. If you don't want to "grind" drop 5$ which is hardly a ripoff.

I feel jipped

I went back and forth deciding between ps4 and PC. Ultimately chose ps4 because after playing alpha/beta on both I thought the game felt more at home on a controller.
I guess I forgot that you could lean outside of ADS on PC. That might have influenced my decision.
Oh well.
Will you guys be on tonight? We should play.

I'll be home at like 11PM EST, I doubt anyone will be on though..

Edit: About the new operators, you guys are gonna have problems playing with the new operators since people will pick it first.. = More time to stack renown until the 2nd or 3rd wave of operators

Evolved1

But how do you turn the camera when you sprint then?
You cant? Idk, seems like you dont need leaning while you're sprinting, but maybe it'd be clunky to use L3. I would like them to try something. Shit, try sixaxis (lol no) but just get it on the sticks somehow.

Erban1

I'll be home at like 11PM EST, I doubt anyone will be on though..

Edit: About the new operators, you guys are gonna have problems playing with the new operators since people will pick it first.. = More time to stack renown until the 2nd or 3rd wave of operators

i'll be on closer to midnight your time, i think you're already on my friends list

You cant? Idk, seems like you dont need leaning while you're sprinting, but maybe it'd be clunky to use L3. I would like them to try something. Shit, try sixaxis (lol no) but just get it on the sticks somehow.

To be honest they could have probably done it rather easily with a swipe on the touchpad but that leaves them with no matching solution for the Xbox and that's not going to sit well with MS. Kinect gestures could have been a counter but since it isn't required anymore they cant rely on that either. Any other method is probably going to feel cumbersome to an extent due to the need of multiple inputs to do it in a game where a fraction of a second can be the end of you operator. It would be cool if they could have it in the console version too though. It's a small feature but it's a game changer too.

E-flux

Ive only played ranked a couple of times. Once it threw me into a match in progress -- that was over.
All I ever saw was the final scoreboard and it said Defeat.
Do they really throw you into matches already in progress or was that a bug? Because that is beyond dumb.

In the beta i was thrown into games many times like that, best part was when i lost rank because of those. I hope it's not back again.

Sojgat

Is this game a bad buy if you cant get your friends to buy it?

None of my friends bought it (and can't be convinced to), but it's still the best time I've had with a game all year.

Playing with randoms can sometimes be infuriating, but I've found it to be mostly fine (playing on PS4). There are more people than I expected actually communicating, and less and less idiots.

Klyka

Banned
Is this game a bad buy if you cant get your friends to buy it?

I have one friend on PC who owns it but we barely play together.

I run solo all the time (sadly haven't gotten invites from GAF people yet :( ) and tons of people use mics and if you start off to communicate via voice, people will quickly follow.

I had many many random teams win round after round with great communication.

Finished downloading the patch on the Xbox. Still not connecting to the servers at the main menu on startup, which is odd that that wasn't fixed. The estimated wait time for a game was a cool touch, and matching in general was much smoother.

KodaRuss

Been getting through the situations that I have skipped (didnt realize they give a pretty good amount of rep if you do the challenges) I killed a terrorist and check out how his gun landed.

JCssMEU.jpg

GravyButt

For the free uplay 1 day renown booster how does that work? Is it 24 hours in game time or 24 hours real time? Tempted to use it but I only have a few hours max tonight and dont want to waste it. Thanks!!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
For the free uplay 1 day renown booster how does that work? Is it 24 hours in game time or 24 hours real time? Tempted to use it but I only have a few hours max tonight and dont want to waste it. Thanks!!

It's real time, so any time you're spending not playing the game is wasting the booster. Best to pop it when you'll have as much time ahead as possible to play!

I am loving this game but I'm plagued by this bloody server error. It happens and I lose all chance at getting renoun points.

Any one got a clue as to what is causing it?

Rainbow Six Siege error code: [0-0x00000312]

For the record I'm getting no issues whatsoever on other games.

Animator

I have one friend on PC who owns it but we barely play together.

I run solo all the time (sadly haven't gotten invites from GAF people yet :( ) and tons of people use mics and if you start off to communicate via voice, people will quickly follow.

I had many many random teams win round after round with great communication.

All you need to do is get on discord and hook up with people playing. We don't send people invites randomly because we are already organizing games on discord.

Jarrod38

I think the game I just got done playing and these two friends were on both teams and the guy on my team was calling out our positions.

Top Bottom