• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It sounds weird, but I really miss the doors from Rainbow Six 3. The ones you could open little by little, and peak if you wanted.

I don't think it sounds weird as all - I miss them, too. I think it adds quite a bit to the risk/reward.

I'm on ps4 and I won't be playing properly till the 27th when I will download it on my friends ps4 to convince him how fucking good this game is so feel free to add me :p

PSN: SirShizznit

(Yes that's two z's)

Don't add my gaf username that's my old American account from when I used to live there.

Brockxz

I don't know what has changed but yesterday matchmaking was weird. I teamed up with 4 friends for ranked game and matchmaking decided to put us in the middle of match 2 times in a row. First there was already score 3:4 and that game had lag like hell. We managed to win somehow 5:4. Second game we were dropped in a game with score 0:2. How in the hell matchmaking can put full team in the middle of other ranked game? I thought ranked games can't be joined in the middle and with full team.

Varth

Anyway, there's something weird about the controls, I'm constantly fiddling with the deadzones and X/Y axis speeds. Servers disconnected twice, so I've never moved past the first two training missions.

It was the same for me. Long ass fiddling time, but eventually clicked.

MANGOD

Banned
Playing this on xbone and seeing the difference between this perform compared to how this can run on a pc is bigger than I thought the jump would be. THE MASTER RACE!

TipToeTiger

Neo Member
I am really enjoying this game, to me it feels really fresh when compared to BF or COD.

Has anyone bothered to buy the season pass? I am tempted to give it a go but I cant decide whether it is better to wait until later in the year. Does anyone know what advantages you get if you purchase it now?

Varth

I haven't been able to try again, but do you have any suggestions as to why it feels "off"? What settings are you using?

I think it was a mix of excessive dead zone, acceleration and sensitivity. They seem to have F'd up the standard values. Mind you, I suffered this mostly in the 30fps part of the game, and this may have its weight in the problem. when I started playing MP only it seemed to fare better.

nOoblet16

Anyone playing this now?

Uplay - xUselessoulx
PSN - nOoblet16

Got mic on PS4 but not PC.

Edit: The number of people who use cluster charge in hostage room and don't get why they shouldn't use it is alarmingly high. I mean yea I get that Fuze is the most popular offence operator and everyone wants it due to cluster charge but you gotta at least think that these guys would know what cluster charge could do given they pick Fuze for that reason in the first place !

Also so many people get fooled if I put a cover in front of hostage, even when they have already detected the hostage and have a marker behind the shield.

Drewfonse

Wow! Nice job in that 1v5. Just great.

I've taken 4 people down as the last man, but never 5. I would have gotten too cautious in that situation. The tension ratchets and ratchets until becomes unbearable. I literally become afraid to fucking move.

This freaking game, man,

Drewfonse

What level has everyone gotten to? I'm at 34, playing exclusively casual...for now.

I've unlocked everyone but Tachanka and Bandit.

SWAT 4 is one of my favourite shooters ever, and I'm having a blast with Siege. It is very different in some regards. For instance, it's faster paced, there's no non-lethal option, and oddly enough, there are no normal doors. But it feels as tactical and it has the shares the element of figuring out how to deal with enemies barricaded in a building. I'd say Siege is far better than SWAT 4 as a competitive title, but SWAT 4 is better as a singleplayer/coop title. Either way, I'd easily recommend it to anyone who liked SWAT 4.

You know I never honestly noticed that this game didn't have doors until I read this post. Damn. It doesn't does it?

I'm level 33, all operators unlocked, counted 33 weapon attachments unlocked.

Ranked matches is where it's at, most people have headsets and your renown is a lot more on a win.

Here is my video of my first clean sweep where I killed everyone with no help from my team. I'll call it a 1 v 5. I consider it that because the first kill was stolen from me after I knocked the guy down and was switching to my secondary to finish him off. Got the next kill then finished the 1 v 3. Had to answer the door in the middle yet still managed to pull it off.

http://xboxclips.com/Cjslax6/b2a64b9e-d69f-4c87-9d26-64da731f18e2

Ianan

Played the free weekend and I LOVED this game, I just can't bring myself to pay the full price for it atm since Christmas presents has ruined my bank account haha. Cannot wait to buy it though, was an absolute blast!

Not sure if anyone follows up, but a fairly prominent Youtuber, Matimi0, basically gave Siege his GOTY.

I'm hoping this game will gain a loyal fanbase--I think it's getting good word of mouth.

6 Tips You May Not Know in Rainbow Six Siege

Worst Operators in Siege
How Not to Suck at Siege
Fun Ways to Kill Your Enemies in Siege

Those vids are pretty great. Some of my favorite tips:
-Ash: get a drone or get teammates to spot enemies in the room. Fire a breaching charge underneath them to hurt/kill them and possibly drop them down into your room (if they're on a trapdoor)
-Bandit: in narrow single lane hallways, work with friends to create the following trap: set up a deployable shield, and BEHIND IT, set up two sets of electrified razor wire. If they leap over the deployable shield, they land in the electric wire. By the time they can get out of both sets, a good deal of damage will have been done to them
-Kapkan: set up door traps, then place a deployable shield in front of the door. Most attackers will destroy the door enough to hop through but the shield will block your trap

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
My friends and I just play casual with some coordination and teamwork but nothing too crazy. Just communicating where enemies are but never establishing any overarching plans.

Last night we played against many teams who seemed to have amazing plans. One was 4 guys all went around us while the shield guy Blitz was moving forward. We only ever saw Blitz on the camera and were all ready for him when he came. As we all focused on him every other enemy breached in and we all simultaneously died.

Playing against a well coordinated team with a plan is fucking hard.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It sounds weird, but I really miss the doors from Rainbow Six 3. The ones you could open little by little, and peak if you wanted.
In this game, the slightest movement of a door and people would light you up through it. Bullet penetration has significantly changed the dynamics of the game.

Ferny

My friends and I just play casual with some coordination and teamwork but nothing too crazy. Just communicating where enemies are but never establishing any overarching plans.

Last night we played against many teams who seemed to have amazing plans. One was 4 guys all went around us while the shield guy Blitz was moving forward. We only ever saw Blitz on the camera and were all ready for him when he came. As we all focused on him every other enemy breached in and we all simultaneously died.

Playing against a well coordinated team with a plan is fucking hard.

As it should be lol

In this game, the slightest movement of a door and people would light you up through it. Bullet penetration has significantly changed the dynamics of the game.

I think there was penetration in Raven Shield? Can't remember.

Still, I would at least like the option. In Raven Shield (and even Rogue Spear, I think), you could use a shotgun to blow the hinges off a door, too. Would love that as an alternate, riskier breaching movement.

Anyone having problems when running R6 with Teamspeak and getting massive 3k ms ping constantly?

As soon as I quit TS it returns to normal levels (40-250ms kek). All required ports have been forwarded for Uplay, TS and R6 and still it shits itself. Even when I put my router into a temporary DMZ it still happened.

Obviously it is fine with every other game just this one. Only started happening in the 2nd beta even though the 1st one was perfect (for ubi standards) ping wise.

Clydebink

Neo Member
I am really enjoying this game, to me it feels really fresh when compared to BF or COD.

Has anyone bothered to buy the season pass? I am tempted to give it a go but I cant decide whether it is better to wait until later in the year. Does anyone know what advantages you get if you purchase it now?

I didn't buy the season pass, but I think the advantage of buying it now would be that you would be earning bonus renown during the period between now and whenever you would have bought it later.

The Season Pass...take it or leave it. I bought it because I had credit that brought the cost down to $12 for me.

You get a handful of skins, a 5% renown boost (which isn't much at all but better than nothing--certainly doesn't cause any imbalance), some of the R6 currency, and early access to new operators. I think the last point is the best part of the season pass, but we don't yet know how it'll work. It could just be early access to UNLOCK them a week earlier, but you still need the 25k renown, maybe?

nOoblet16

This isn't the first time Rainbow six has had bullet penetration though. A door can be used to even lure an enemy for instance, especially if the door is physics based, you could probably even shoot it with low penetration weapons to open it.

Then there is the advantage of being able to use a breach and clear routine where you throw something inside like a flashbank, close the door and then follow it up with a clearing routine. You can still do it but it's not as effective...but I can see this having balance issues when not done properly as it makes the attacking team safe from any fire while throwing the stun grenade. It also allows for the game to have metallic doors which means they are safe from breaching but it's still a passageway since it can be opened or the hinges can be blown off to outright remove the door.

Lastly it just makes sense to have doors in houses, atleast for the main entrance. Because you find even the main entrance have no doors but barricades that are automatically there when the game starts. They could have had wooden doors that could have been breached which would have made it more or less functionally identical to the barricades they have at the moment, except for the fact that it can be closed off to pretend that no one ever went through there.

Is IQ any good? Debating between her and Jager for my next unlock.
IQ has good ARs but the gadget in my opinion is pretty useless. Never picked her in ranked games.. Jager on the other hand has a useful gadget that can block fuze's cluster if placed/stacked correctly. Plus the shotty that Jager has is beast. Longer range. Fast mobility. Fun to roam and flank with jager.

Grisby

What level has everyone gotten to? I'm at 34, playing exclusively casual...for now.

I've unlocked everyone but Tachanka and Bandit.
I think I'm 31. Just casual and T-hunt. Still only have a few operators unlocked because I mostly just use Ash for PVP and IQ for T-hunt.

Man, I wish there was a campaign. They have all the foundations in place.

ant_

Go with Jager. He's a great defender and in my opinion has one of the best weapons for a defender (the carbine). His special is incredibly useful, too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wish there was an option to stop matchmaking me into games in progress.

The alternative is to have very few casual games be 5v5 for the majority of a match.

Jaeger. IQ isn't good enough at anything to ever be your first choice, or second choice, or third choice for that matter.

While IQ seems useful in concept in practice you don't have the time for the scanning nor do you have the need since stuff like castle panels, razor wire, jammer noise, etc. make it obvious where the electronics are. Playing Thatcher I never found myself thinking, "I wish IQ was here to tell me where to toss these EMP grenades." Many of the attackers have better guns too.

Really hate the plane level, feels so constructive in comparison to every other.

Every other map often offers a lot of freedom. On the plane level however, it often feels like it takes ages to reposition yourself, flank, and take another approach. I feel that it lacks a lot of the strategic depth that make other maps enjoyable.

Probably not very good, takes a while to find games especially on PC.
I suspect it will pick up later when it goes on sale.

You're inferring a pretty baseless correlation here. There are a myriad of confounds that might explain why it takes a while to find a match that would need to be eliminated before a small player base could be considered a reasonable suggestion. The most significant of those is that Ubisoft servers and matchmaking kinda' suck, so regardless of popularity, it would most likely still take quite a while to find a game.

ant_

Really hate the plane level, feels so constructive in comparison to every other.

Every other map often offers a lot of freedom. On the plane level however, it often feels like it takes ages to reposition yourself, flank, and take another approach. I feel that it lacks a lot of the strategic depth that make other maps enjoyable.

I've had the best flanks on the plane level simply because people don't really know about the many opportunities. The middle/top floor have tons of ladders that make flanking really fun on that map.

I also love the entrance that is on top of the plane. Not many people know about it.

Top Bottom