• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Mentok

Banned
Ive yet to unlock him but I think hes my next defender Ill get. I should probably unlock a shield attacker but im horrible with a pistol and leading a charge scurs me because I dont know the maps well.

I suck as a shielder too. I only go shield when I'm with a full party that's talking, and I act as a decoy/screen. I get a lot of assists, but rarely get a kill lol.

KodaRuss

I suck as a shielder too. I only go shield when I'm with a full party that's talking, and I act as a decoy/screen. I get a lot of assists, but rarely get a kill lol.

That is your role as a shielder though. Dont expect lots of kills if your team is working with you. I use Blitz a lot and it works really well if you have someone following you throughout the map.

Alienfan

How's the player base / player count on the xbox one? Does it use dedicated servers, meaning as a New Zealand gamer will I be stuck with the small NZ/Australian player base? Or can I play with European /US players

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That is your role as a shielder though. Dont expect lots of kills if your team is working with you. I use Blitz a lot and it works really well if you have someone following you throughout the map.

Yup, if I'm Blitz I often find try to get two guys to stay on my six. I storm a room, pop my flash, and then just take fire. Guy behind me gets a kill. Rinse and repeat. I act as a pure distraction, and can almost guarantee my buddies behind me a kill or two.

Drewfonse

Yeah I LOVE Jager. His ability comes in handy more often than not and his AR is a beast with litle recoil. I usually alter between Jager and Bandit when defending.

I always get worried when I pick a one star armor operator. I know he's fast, but do you notice that you go down faster when you are shot while playing as him, compared to a 2 or 3 star armor operator?

I need to branch out on defense, I almost always pick Rook.

BIGWORM

Just pulled the trigger on the PC version. Anyone want to add me? I'm in the midst of downloading it right now.

uplay name is B_I_G_W_O_R_M

GravyButt

I always get worried when I pick a one star armor operator. I know he's fast, but do you notice that you go down faster when you are shot while playing as him, compared to a 2 or 3 star armor operator?

to be honest I don't notice a difference. Rarely have I been in the situation where Ive been hit by a bullet or two (non headshot.) it's always someone just dumping tons of rounds onto my location or catching an up close shotgun to the torso. I mean I could be completely wrong but I personally dont let it effect my judgment.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you're already in the act of retreating to cover, or at least moving out of direct contact, medium to high armor can keep you upright. With the squishiest operators, it's difficult to escape a contact. You either down them before they get shots on you, or you're down yourself. There's a reason the lowest armor operators have the best weapons for accurate medium to long range fire while maintaining high ROF. Because they really do have shit survivability. There's like zero margin of error against a higher armor opponent, assuming all other things equal.

If you're already in the act of retreating to cover, or at least moving out of direct contact, medium to high armor can keep you upright. With the squishiest operators, it's difficult to escape a contact. You either down them before they get shots on you, or you're down yourself. There's a reason the lowest armor operators have the best weapons for accurate medium to long range fire while maintaining high ROF. Because they really do have shit survivability. There's like zero margin of error against a higher armor opponent, assuming all other things equal.

Yeah I guess that's true.

Only thing is though, unless you're being shot by an SMG, the armour is unlikely to make any difference. Three bullets that deal ~40 damage each will kill you in the same number of bullets, regardless of armour class.

So on defense, I feel like it doesn't make much difference, as most people attack with 40-45 damage assault rifles.

Edit:

For the sake of trying to figure out if the armour actually made much of a difference, at least for me. I calculated my mean KDR per armour class across all characters in the game.

With light armour it's at 2.45, with Medium Armour it's at 4.34, with Heavy Armour it's at 1.95.

It seems perhaps light is too light, and heavy is too heavy, at least relative to my playstyle. I can see that though, as I do not feel that the weapon bonuses for having light armour are really justified by the equipment. All ARs are lethal in a single burst, so having IQs 50 damage commando makes almost no difference, in my opinion.

I also decided to calculate by attack / defense, where my KDR is at 3.6 for attack, and 2.6 for defense. Win loss ratio also reflects a similar skew. I guess defending is harder? At least for myself and the people I play with.

Obviously this isn't a very large set of data so it's hard to make inferences but it's interesting none the less.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn this game is fun! Played with some gaffers tonight and it was fucking great. Really loving the unique style of this game.

Most fun I had in a shooter in years.

Man I hope this game succeeds.

First shooter in years to try something different and actually has a chance?

If this game succeeds I think that would be great for the genre overall, other developers might see, hey, we dont NEED to copy COD to be successful.

I hope they do some holiday 33% sales. It might be enough to convince a healthy player base. If they are serious about making this a game that will last years, they will have to create a big player base, fast, and the rest will follow.

Anyone know the current player base, and if its an indication of something good?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Anyone knows what it does the last patch in the xbox one?I can't find the patch notes.

Or maybe it's only for unlock the free skin?

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
Most fun I had in a shooter in years.

Man I hope this game succeeds.

First shooter in years to try something different and actually has a chance?

If this game succeeds I think that would be great for the genre overall, other developers might see, hey, we dont NEED to copy COD to be successful.

I hope they do some holiday 33% sales. It might be enough to convince a healthy player base. If they are serious about making this a game that will last years, they will have to create a big player base, fast, and the rest will follow.

1398064817799.png

Menthuss

Regarding Blitz, Fuze and Montagne's shields, can they actually get destroyed due to gunfire or can they essentially take an infinite amount of bullets? And what about the faceplate? It can get cracked but can it actually break and let bullets through after a certain amount of damage?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Only thing is though, unless you're being shot by an SMG, the armour is unlikely to make any difference. Three bullets that deal ~40 damage each will kill you in the same number of bullets, regardless of armour class.

So on defense, I feel like it doesn't make much difference, as most people attack with 40-45 damage assault rifles.

Edit:

For the sake of trying to figure out if the armour actually made much of a difference, at least for me. I calculated my mean KDR per armour class across all characters in the game.

With light armour it's at 2.45, with Medium Armour it's at 4.34, with Heavy Armour it's at 1.95.

It seems perhaps light is too light, and heavy is too heavy, at least relative to my playstyle. I can see that though, as I do not feel that the weapon bonuses for having light armour are really justified by the equipment. All ARs are lethal in a single burst, so having IQs 50 damage commando makes almost no difference, in my opinion.

I also decided to calculate by attack / defense, where my KDR is at 3.6 for attack, and 2.6 for defense. Win loss ratio also reflects a similar skew. I guess defending is harder? At least for myself and the people I play with.

Obviously this isn't a very large set of data so it's hard to make inferences but it's interesting none the less.
It's like 7 am and I just woke up, so I don't have much to add, other than to comment that this was a really interesting post.

Drewfonse

Edit:

Based on these numbers, I can confirm that you are much, much better at this game than I am. Much.

Me and my buddy picked up PS4 copies a few days ago while he was visiting and we set up our TV's side-by-side in my longeroom for three days and have been having a blast! So good seeing a plan be executed and pulled off with little trouble, especially being in-person to plan it as well. We spent a lot of one evening spamming a mutual friend with calls telling him to pick it up as well but I think we just turned him off it lol.

Also, LOVE the explosion death animation/physics/ragdoll. Multiple times an enemy or teammate has died infront of us and their body thrown backwards as if in a hilarious pouncing pose.

Our Glaz-covering-Montagne/Sledge strategy has experienced much success and also as much failure. Feel like it could be expanded upon should that third friend pick up the game.

Final thought. SO MANY GODDAMN TEAMKILLERS!

Mentok

Banned

Not really, it may take 1 less bullet, but to be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference in armor compared to mobility (which has quite the difference).

So last night I discovered you can shoot out Thermite's breaching fuse?! on defence?! How is this done? Do you just spray and pray the area being breached?!?

Profanity

Not really, it may take 1 less bullet, but to be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference in armor compared to mobility (which has quite the difference).

So last night I discovered you can shoot out Thermite's breaching fuse?! on defence?! How is this done? Do you just spray and pray the area being breached?!?

You can only do it on non-reinforced walls, but yeah just shoot in between the fuse area.

I just bought another PS4 copy of this game for my fiance for Christmas. :)

I hope some of you will play with us, she likes to communicate and I want her to play in a squad cause I feel that she will get frustrated if playing with randoms.

She played it at Eurogamer (EGX) earlier in the year, and we won two Siege mini-tournaments, with hoodies and T-Shirts as prizes. She really liked it then, so I hope she likes the full game.

nOoblet16

Couple of things:

1) If you've got a good Montagne then you can have a very strong direct attack plus flanking. The enemy team will end up holing themselves into one corner.

2) Unless you are a player who is sneaky as fuck and good at finding gaps to shoot from that confused the enemy, don't bother with suppressor...especially with low armour operators since you need as much damage as you can...as quickly as possible in one on one situations.

This is because the only times a suppressor actually works is if you are picking up enemy one by one from a location that is not immediately obvious. On the other hand if the enemy finds a teammate getting killed in front of a staircase with no other openings then it doesn't matter whether you use a suppressor or not because he'll know you are at the staircase anyways

3) If you are playing defense in Bomb mode,absolutely make sure to have a Jaeger otherwise you'll have annoying deaths since the attacking team does not care about collateral damage at all.

4) Don't use Fuze in hostage mode, it's more or less useless. Which means Jaeger by extension becomes less effective in Hostage.

Rook is quite versatile. Rook with armour probably has the highest health in the game. And you will notice it, shots that will leave you bleeding or leave you in the red might leave you with 50hp if you have armour on with Rook. Which means you can be a good roamer.

Also you can use the armour bag to block the little holes that drones use to come into the room. You can do the same with your shield to block off doors (at least in the preparation phase when everyone is using drones). So be can also block drones.

Another thing you can do is put a shield as close to the hostage as possible facing the direction enemy is coming from, sometimes the attacker will end uo shooting the hostage because they eill nistake hin for an enemy. But in case they dont then lie down next to the hostage so that it becomes very difficult for the enemy to shoot you without killing the hostage.

Menthuss

Couple of things:
4) Don't use Fuze in hostage mode, it's more or less useless. Which means Jaeger by extension becomes less effective in Hostage.

Strongly disagree with both of these statements. The only place where you can't place a cluster charge is right outside the hostage room. Any other room where enemies might be hiding (some people purposefully stay outside the hostage room to set up ambushes) can still be clustered. Besides, there's more to Fuze than his clusters (such as his shield!) And IMO Jager is more useful for stopping flashbangs and grenades than stopping Fuze's clusters. In fact, I've never managed to completely block all 5 cluster frags even with 3 Trophies sitting right next to each other.

KodaRuss

Regarding Blitz, Fuze and Montagne's shields, can they actually get destroyed due to gunfire or can they essentially take an infinite amount of bullets? And what about the faceplate? It can get cracked but can it actually break and let bullets through after a certain amount of damage?

I do not believe they can be destroyed (if they can it must take 3+ clips) and I am pretty sure the faceplate cannot be broken out either (just gets really hard to see after all the bullet holes/cracks haha!) I do believe the more damage it takes the more damage it lets through. Not 100% confirmed on that though. Would have to do some testing in a custom map or something to figure that out.

Menthuss

I do not believe they can be destroyed (if they can it must take 3+ clips) and I am pretty sure the faceplate cannot be broken out either (just gets really hard to see after all the bullet holes/cracks haha!) I do believe the more damage it takes the more damage it lets through. Not 100% confirmed on that though. Would have to do some testing in a custom map or something to figure that out.

I'm pretty sure this is indeed the case as I've been headshotted through my shield before.

KodaRuss

I like the holiday skin that they released. Pretty cool idea. Hoping I can get some time to play over the Christmas break. I cant get enough at the moment, played a round before I left for work.

Erban1

I'm pretty sure this is indeed the case as I've been headshotted through my shield before.

Really? The only time I've been able to headshot a shield user while they aren't ADS'ing was when I had a slight height advantage so I could angle shots over the top of the shield.

Menthuss

Really? The only time I've been able to headshot a shield user while they aren't ADS'ing was when I had a slight height advantage so I could angle shots over the top of the shield.

That's why I'm thinking that shields start off with a 100% damage reduction rate that goes down the more damage it takes.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just to remind ps4 users, you can join the community to group up with people and play!

The easiest way to join the community is to send me a friend invite and ask but you can also try this process detailed below to find the community yourself. It does not require direct invites so hopefully you can find it.
http://imgur.com/a/0Bxdq

You can also search for my profile on ps4 then look ay my joined communities and join that way! My PSN is thetrinidad
PS4 players! Join us in the fight against
Great games last night you beautiful GAF bastards!!

Clydebink

Neo Member
The game was Secure on Chalet, we were attacking. The defenders were in the first floor room by the kitchen. Three of us breached the trapdoor above them, (one at a time) and started trying to hold the position. On the kill-cam, we saw Smoke walk up to the trapdoor hole and throw c4 in. I like to think that Smoke was just upstairs in the bathroom, waiting for all of us to go down, not taking a shot.

This game is so good. PC guys remember to join up in the Discord if you are wanting to group up. Usually a bunch of people in there at around 10 EST every night.

KodaRuss

So how would everyone rank the different Units?

I would rank like this.

1) SWAT - Thermite, Ash, Castle, Pulse (Two essential operators in Thermite and Castle with Ash being a common choice for attackers and Pulse being very good with a patient/skilled user)

2) GSG9 - Blitz, Jager, Bandit, IQ (Jager and Blitz can be game changers imo and Jager is a definite essential when not in a hostage situation. Bandit's skill is somewhat overlooked most of the time but can prevent the attackers from doing a lot of different things. IQ is not that useful imo, but I believe her guns are pretty good.)

2) SAS - Mute, Smoke, Thatcher, Sledge (One mostly essential with Mute. Smoke and Sledge being two of my favorites with very solid skills and Thatcher can be very useful in a lot of situations. Although, I have rarely thought that we could really use a Sledge, Smoke or Thatcher here when they are not on our team.

4) Spetsnaz - Fuze, Glaz, Kapkan, Tachanka (Fuze is almost a must have and someone that knows what they are doing with Glaz can really help a team win. I have found that Kapkan's traps helping is fairly rare now, everyone knows what to look for and they are pretty easily disabled. Tachanka is pretty worthless imo, I may have been killed by his turret once.

5) GIGN - Montague, Twitch, Rook, Doc (Rook is the only one who I would consider close to being essential but I do not believe he is neccessary. Part of this being my last unit would be that I really have not used these others that much but I have only seen Doc's special being used once or twice, I believe Blitz can be a stronger shield carrier than Montague if used properly and Twitch's drone might be the best perk of the three but it is fairly easily shutdown imo.

My Operator decision is usually based on this: I normally wait for the rest of the team to decide who to take

Attacking:
If No one takes Thermite I take him
If No one takes Fuze I take him second
Blitz, Ash or Sledge usually in that order

Defending:
If No one takes Jager (Non Hostage - second) I take him
If No one takes Mute (Hostage - first) I take him second
If No one takes Castle I reluctantly take him (Not a huge fan of his guns)
After those three it is either Rook, Smoke or Bandit

I have only played Casual so far though. So, things will change a little for Ranked i believe.

GravyButt

Anyone having any connection issues east cost ps4? Was fine all day up until about a half hour ago. Constantly getting error codes now. First time this has happened.

Anyone having any connection issues east cost ps4? Was fine all day up until about a half hour ago. Constantly getting error codes now. First time this has happened.

Yup, same here. Mic isn't working at the menu with friends and server load times are either non existent or taking forever

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Trying to decide which version to get. I only care about which one has the largest player base. Any thoughts? I haven't found a site that gives any sort of reasonable metrics that speak to player population.

nOoblet16

I don't know if it's just people's mic (since none of my existing PSN friends play this game) but the ingame quality of voice chat has been pretty shit and low quality. The voice is very "thick" and not crisp.

This is on PS4

Woo-Fu

Banned
My willpower crumbled, picked up a bullets or blades code off of ebay. Now back to failing in new ways every round.

Grisby

This stinks. Redeemed my booster and now can't connect to a damn match. Talk about feeling gipped!
Just got to buy more brah.
Trying to decide which version to get. I only care about which one has the largest player base. Any thoughts? I haven't found a site that gives any sort of reasonable metrics that speak to player population.
I'm on Xbox and have no trouble finding matches. I would imagine ps4 probably has more since there's a bigger install base (if it's doing well on there).

Clydebink

Neo Member

I have no idea, but I'm playing on pc on the east coast of the United States and many of the complaints I've seen in the last few weeks don't seem to affect me (especially complaints about team-killers and no one talking on mic). Also, R6:Siege was included with a videocard recently, I'm not sure how much that bumped the population, but I imagine that it had a positive effect on it.

Rewind

How is this game solo with randoms? I'm really tempted to buy it but have no one to play with on PC. I have a mic so I would be able to communicate but I'm nervous that the game relies on having other people. I also live in Alaska so I need dedicated servers which I think this game has.

Top Bottom