• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
wait wait wait. You mean to tell me he was caught in the act and physically stopped by TWO witnesses an still got off? He basically beat the case? Jesus christ.
He was caught in the act, stopped by two witnesses, had a mountain of evidence against him, and he was convicted by a jury of ALL charges.

A slam dunk case and the jury reached the correct verdict.

But, the judge gave him the most insultingly lenient sentence possible. So yes, he didn't "beat the case" in the sense that he was acquitted, but he got off with a slap on the wrist.

Now imagine if he had been black, or even poor and not a star athlete. If anyone thinks the judge would have been so lenient, I have a bridge to sell them...

I doubt he would give the people issuing death threats only 6 months of jail time.
Hahaha man, I do wonder.
Death threats are always wrong and it sucks that his family are involved, people can be so stupid when they're outraged. But damn that's a good one.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just saw a Professor say, "If we could eradicate the culture of binge drinking, sexual assaults would drop overnight. I spent 13 years teaching at Syracuse University where it seemed we produce as many alcoholics as we produce college graduates" What do you think? I'm inclined to agree.

And Universities and police can largely stop it on and off campus but look the other way as though black out drunk is a rite of passage for our youth.

If they followed noise complaints, wrote MIP and contributing to the delinquency tickets they could largely stop these giant parties from occurring. Or make bars culpable for creating a dangerous environment (letting people get black out drunk).

But for whatever reason that's not actually done.

I'm of the opinion that

1) Being drunk is absolutely not an excuse for committing any crime.
2) Being drunk does not make the victim responsible in any way for what happened to them.
3) Binge drinking especially with strangers in large groups (vs small groups of friends where someone can watch out for you) creates an environment conducive for this sort of behavior.

It's like being in a bad neighborhood at night. Being in a bad neighborhood doesn't make it ok to rob someone. Or your fault for being robbed. But maybe we should put cops on the street there and keep it well lit to try and prevent issues.

And Universities and police can largely stop it on and off campus but look the other way as though black out drunk is a rite of passage for our youth.

If they followed noise complaints, wrote MIP and contributing to the delinquency tickets they could largely stop these giant parties from occurring. Or make bars culpable for creating a dangerous environment (letting people get black out drunk).

I'm of the opinion that

2) Being drunk does not make the victim responsible in any way for what happened to them.
3) Binge drinking especially with strangers in large groups (vs small groups of friends where someone can watch out for you) creates an environment conducive for this sort of behavior.

It's like being in a bad neighborhood at night. Being in a bad neighborhood doesn't make it ok to rob someone. Or your fault for being robbed. But maybe we should put cops on the street there and keep it well lit to try and prevent issues.

Exactly. Did you read the study I posted which essentially said the same thing, but we need to do further research.

Cross posting from Poli-Gaf here:

Joe Biden Writes An Open Letter To Stanford Survivor

God dammit, Joe Biden is the best.

You will never be defined by what the defendant’s father callously termed “20 minutes of action.”

His son will be.
I join your global chorus of supporters, because we can never say enough to survivors: I believe you. It is not your fault.

What you endured is never, never, never, NEVER a woman’s fault.

And while the justice system has spoken in your particular case, the nation is not satisfied.
And that is why we will continue to speak out.

PBY

Banned

I'm of the opinion that

See - I agree with all of your points, but disagree that all parties should be shut down. We should be able to have ragers where everyone gets after it but people are - you know - decent fucking humans and not rapists and abide by the rules of common decency.

Maybe that's a pipe dream?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
See - I agree with all of your points, but disagree that all parties should be shut down. We should be able to have ragers where everyone gets after it but people are - you know - decent fucking humans and not rapists and abide by the rules of common decency.

Maybe that's a pipe dream?

I think smaller parties where everyone has 1 degree of separation is probably the right answer. Date Rape is a different issue altogether, but I think smaller parties are more likely to have someone looking out for poor behavior in theory at least.

I mean, yeah in a perfect world black out drunk ragers should be able to happen without rape, but reality seems to indicate that won't happen.

dpunk3

Ok, so bear with me on this, and I'm sure someone mentioned this before. But whatever.

This ubiquitous piece of human shit's life is over. Nevermind that he is spending 6 months in prison, nevermind that he is a registered sex offender. But his name is so associated with this case that he will never be able to get a job (any sensible HR dept will make sure of that), he will never get into another school, he will never be able to apply for an apartment (or anywhere that runs background checks), he is stuck in his parent's basement for the remainder of his life.

I am not defending him, I am of the opinion that he deserved to go to prison for the full sentence. But I can understand the argument that he didn't need more jail time. It's an incorrect argument, but I can understand it.

What I can't understand is the shitbags saying "She shouldn't have drank so much." Fuck off with that garbage.

Dalek

Not sure if this was posted, but looks like his childhood friend who wrote a letter defending him is now rapidly backpeddling.

'I made a mistake': Two women apologize for letters supporting Stanford rapist Brock Turner

Two women who penned letters defending former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner in court have rescinded their support, saying they didn’t realize the severity of his actions.

Kelly Owens, a high school guidance counselor in Ohio, and Leslie Rasmussen, a friend of Turner’s, issued apologies Wednesday for making statements that they said have caused outrage.

Rasmussen, a member of the band Good English, said she was one of at least 39 people who submitted character statements to Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky in support of Turner, who was convicted in March of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman behind a dumpster on campus.

“I had no right to make any assumptions about the situation,” she wrote on Facebook. “Most importantly, I did not acknowledge strongly enough the severity of Brock’s crime and the suffering and pain that his victim endured, and for that lack of acknowledgement, I am deeply sorry.”

In her letter, Rasmussen said Turner was not “a monster,” writing that “there is absolutely no way Brock went out that night with rape on his mind.”

Rasmussen said she understood the outrage over her statement and Turner’s sentencing.

“I can only say that I am committed to learning from this mistake,” she said. “I am 20 years old, and it has never been more clear to me that I still have much to learn.”

In her letter to Persky, Owens described Turner as “truly an exceptional person/student,” who was “never boastful or arrogant,” but rather a favorite among his teachers and peers.

Owens, who works at Oakwood High School in Ohio, said the verdict broke her heart, saying that Turner was “absolutely undeserving of the outcome.”

But on Wednesday, Owens submitted an apology to her school district.

Not sure if this was posted, but looks like his childhood friend who wrote a letter defending him is now rapidly backpeddling.

'I made a mistake': Two women apologize for letters supporting Stanford rapist Brock Turner

The one from Leslie was posted earlier. There's a couple things worth nothing about it. The Facebook post is now gone and so is the entire Good English Facebook page. Another thing is that she still spends the majority of the post talking about alcohol and how she's had a unique opportunity to view those around her because she's in a band. And lastly, that post was made after places began to cancel shows that her band were previously booked for.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
The one from Leslie was posted earlier. There's a couple things worth nothing about it. The Facebook post is now gone and so is the entire Good English Facebook page. Another thing is that she still spends the majority of the post talking about alcohol and how she's had a unique opportunity to view those around her because she's in a band. And lastly, that post was made after places began to cancel shows that her band were previously booked for.

Another note worthy thing is how she mentions that she's only 20 and has a lot to learn. No kidding...

.... they didn't realize the severity of his actions.

what the fuck.

EDIT: For everyone STILL supporting Brock Hunter or at least trying to justify what he did, think about this: there must have been at least some women at the same party that wanted to have sex, even drunken sex, with a star Stanford mega-rich athlete. You're going to imply that his only option was an unconscious girl?

RS4-

Ok, so bear with me on this, and I'm sure someone mentioned this before. But whatever.

This ubiquitous piece of human shit's life is over. Nevermind that he is spending 6 months in prison, nevermind that he is a registered sex offender. But his name is so associated with this case that he will never be able to get a job (any sensible HR dept will make sure of that), he will never get into another school, he will never be able to apply for an apartment (or anywhere that runs background checks), he is stuck in his parent's basement for the remainder of his life..

He's white and rich, he'll get a job somewhere courtesy of his worthless dad or someone else in the family.

And it's county, not prison.

Anyway, fuck alcohol and fuck people that use alcohol as an excuse for stupid shit they do. DUI and you hit someone? Fuck you, never drive again, rot in jail. Assault/rape someone? Fuck you, rot in jail. And lol the two women who supported scum that are back peddling. Amazing.

Anyway, fuck alcohol and fuck people that use alcohol as an excuse for stupid shit they do. DUI and you hit someone? Fuck you, never drive again, rot in jail. Assault/rape someone? Fuck you, rot in jail. And lol the two women who supported scum that are back peddling. Amazing.

That and Hunter said in his own statement that he knew what he was doing.

The thing that I don't understand about light sentences like this is the complete lack of empathy for women. Did this judge not have any women in his life that he cares about? Like, would he be cool with this circumstance if it was his mom/sister/wife/daughter that was raped?

megalowho

The more I read about this story, from the rapist blaming everything but himself to Judge Persky's past controversial decisions to stories of comparable cases with severe jail time for students with far less privilege than Turner, the more incensed I get. I wish I could do more than sign a damn petition that won't do anything and shake my head in disgust at the double standards at play and the failings of the judicial system.

Bravo to the prospective jurors that spoke out in court against Persky to his face today. May civil disobedience continue to make his courtroom a mockery, I know I'd have no faith the verdict of the jury would result in justice if I had to serve under him.

The thing that I don't understand about light sentences like this is the complete lack of empathy for women. Did this judge not have any women in his life that he cares about? Like, would he be cool with this circumstance if it was his mom/sister/wife/daughter that was raped?
People aren't kidding when they say a lot of men do not consider women to be people. They don't even realize it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Someone called Ali Ozeri tweeted an edited version of Mr. Turner's letter, and, well, insert lines about ether/savage/rekt or whatever it is kids these days go with:

MmE3Y2FhMTkwYyMvSkRDWDNQalNoRzc2WUJCMlBWdmFPZlZBTkc0PS8weDA6OTMzeDYyMS83NjB4NTA2L2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCkvaHR0cDovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9pbWxieG52c3JwMXZpdG9kbWowenphdzRiNGl0OGtrcWhsa3FwYW96MXIwZno0b2R0b2ZscGhoN3hqbGI0c3B6LmpwZw.jpg

Daaaaamn. So good.

And here's another good one, To Brock Turner's Father, From Another Father.

I need you to understand something, and I say this as a father who dearly loves my son as much as you must love yours:

Brock is not the victim here.
His victim is the victim.
She is the wounded one.
He is the damager.

[...]

This is why young men continue to rape women.
This is why so many men believe that they can do whatever they please to a woman’s body without accountability.
This is the reason so many victims of sexual assault never step forward.
This is why white privilege is real and insidious and usually those with it are oblivious to it.

I understand you trying to humanize your son in your letter; talking to the judge about his favorite snacks and swim practice and about the memories that are sweet for you as his father—but to be honest I don’t give a damn and if his victim was your daughter I’m quite sure you wouldn’t either.

I imagine this young woman had favorite snacks and sports too, and parents who had wonderful plans for her that didn’t include this nightmare.

There is no scenario where your son should be the sympathetic figure here. He is the assailant. He is the rapist. I can’t imagine as a father how gut wrenching such a reality is for you, but it is still true.

[...]

The idea that your son has never violated another woman next to a dumpster before isn’t a credit to his character. We don’t get kudos for only raping one person in our lifetime.

(Full text at the link)

I'm glad this shit is going viral, at least. Small consolation for that travesty of justice, but at least it might, just might, move things forward just a bit. Hopefully. :(

I tried to stay away from this story just because on a base level, the lack of empathy shown in cases like this makes me livid. Hell, I've decided to stop going the "what if this happened to your wife" route with people and wondering how people don't just put themselves in the same situation. Some would say "I'd never get that drunk" etc. But you could be knocked out, you could faint, you could be sleeping and it'd still be completely fucked to think that someone would have any right to abuse your body in that condition. The fact that there seems to be a wall for so many people that they can't even reconcile something so simple is equal parts frightening and sickening. I couldn't bare having any sort of relationship or acquaintance with anyone who doesn't think "what if that happened to me" on the forefront of their mind when it comes to stories like this.

Savitar

Some good news.

USA Swimming bans former Stanford swimmer convicted of sexual assault

A USA Swimming spokesperson confirmed Turner's ban to USA TODAY Sports:

"Brock Turner's membership with USA Swimming expired at the end of the calendar year 2014," USA Swimming spokesman Scott Leightman said in an email to USA TODAY Sports. "He was not a member at the time of his crime or since then. USA Swimming doesn't have any jurisdiction over non-members.

"Brock Turner is not a member of USA Swimming and, should he apply, he would not be eligible for membership. ... Had he been a member, he would be subject to the USA Swimming Code of Conduct. USA Swimming strictly prohibits and has zero tolerance for sexual misconduct, with firm Code of Conduct policies in place, and severe penalties, including a permanent ban of membership, for those who violate our Code of Conduct."

I can't stand seeing this monsters face anymore. I get so furious every time. The only silver lining is that everyone will know him by the time he gets out. His life will be hell and rightfully so.

Zakalwe

Banned
Why isn't this case being reevaluated like the affluenza case?

Even if this case isn't (and it should be), the justified outrage that is pouring all over every kind of media is very likely going to assure the next time something like this happens whoever is judging the case won't be able to get away with issuing a mockery of a sentence.

Even if Brock gets away with 6 months, even if the victim receives no more justice for her case, the rapist's legacy will be this massive raising of awareness and the fact that no one is going to forget who he is.

Someone called Ali Ozeri tweeted an edited version of Mr. Turner's letter, and, well, insert lines about ether/savage/rekt or whatever it is kids these days go with:

MmE3Y2FhMTkwYyMvSkRDWDNQalNoRzc2WUJCMlBWdmFPZlZBTkc0PS8weDA6OTMzeDYyMS83NjB4NTA2L2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCkvaHR0cDovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9pbWxieG52c3JwMXZpdG9kbWowenphdzRiNGl0OGtrcWhsa3FwYW96MXIwZno0b2R0b2ZscGhoN3hqbGI0c3B6LmpwZw.jpg

Daaaaamn. So good.

And here's another good one, To Brock Turner's Father, From Another Father.

(Full text at the link)

I'm glad this shit is going viral, at least. Small consolation for that travesty of justice, but at least it might, just might, move things forward just a bit. Hopefully. :(

makes me feel a bit better, that ether :> and the second dad is awesome <3

Some good news.

USA Swimming bans former Stanford swimmer convicted of sexual assault

A USA Swimming spokesperson confirmed Turner's ban to USA TODAY Sports:

"Brock Turner's membership with USA Swimming expired at the end of the calendar year 2014," USA Swimming spokesman Scott Leightman said in an email to USA TODAY Sports. "He was not a member at the time of his crime or since then. USA Swimming doesn't have any jurisdiction over non-members.

"Brock Turner is not a member of USA Swimming and, should he apply, he would not be eligible for membership. ... Had he been a member, he would be subject to the USA Swimming Code of Conduct. USA Swimming strictly prohibits and has zero tolerance for sexual misconduct, with firm Code of Conduct policies in place, and severe penalties, including a permanent ban of membership, for those who violate our Code of Conduct."

fucking LOL

The only reason he got off just got invalidated.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...how-race-affects-sentencing-article-1.2664945

Good article on the Black vs. White entitlement in this case.

-White kid gets 3 to 6 months.

-Black kid gets 15 to 25 years.

Both were 19 years old. Both raped unconscious women.

Only difference was their skin color.

That's far from being the only difference.

Obligatory disclaimers first: I'm not defending the sentencing of Turner, or his acts, and I'm not shitting on any victim, and I'm not defending or opposing the sentencing of Batey either, or defending his acts.

But it isn't just black and white here. The two guys were found guilty of different offences in different jurisdictions with different laws. Batey was found guilty of aggravated rape. Turner wasn't even found guilty of rape (it was assault with intent to rape). And it doesn't matter a blind bit what you think rape is or what I think rape is, what matters is what the law thinks rape is - and it is different in California from what it is in Tennessee.

So while this is a very telling comparison, what it is telling us is nowhere near as simple as black kid gets it v white kid gets let off lightly.

If I get time I'll dig into this a bit deeper, as there are certainly aspects of the Turner sentencing that I find rather puzzling - but it needs a bit more analysis than it has had so far.

Further obligatory disclaimer in case anyone gets the wrong end of the stick: I not denying that there's a racial element here, just that it is not the whole story.

That's far from being the only difference.

Obligatory disclaimers first: I'm not defending the sentencing of Turner, or his acts, and I'm not shitting on any victim, and I'm not defending or opposing the sentencing of Batey either, or defending his acts.

But it isn't just black and white here. The two guys were found guilty of different offences in different jurisdictions with different laws. Batey was found guilty of aggravated rape. Turner wasn't even found guilty of rape (it was assault with intent to rape). And it doesn't matter a blind bit what you think rape is or what I think rape is, what matters is what the law thinks rape is - and it is different in California from what it is in Tennessee.

So while this is a very telling comparison, what it is telling us is nowhere near as simple as black kid gets it v white kid gets let off lightly.

If I get time I'll dig into this a bit deeper, as there are certainly aspects of the Turner sentencing that I find rather puzzling - but it needs a bit more analysis than it has had so far.

Further obligatory disclaimer in case anyone gets the wrong end of the stick: I not denying that there's a racial element here, just that it is not the whole story.

Why was he charged differently?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Why was he charged differently?

I don't know exactly, that's why I want to dig into it a bit further.

Usually charging decisions come down to two things: what the law says and the weight of evidence.

On a swift reading (and on which I might be wrong, so don't hold me to it) it seems that digital penetration may count as rape in Tennessee but not in California.

And as for the evidence, both cases had forensics, but Batey was and Turner wasn't on camera.

Plus of course, different states, different prosecutors. Oh, and different Grand Juries - I had forgotten about those, as we don't have them this side of the pond.

Keri

They don't think this will happen to the women they know and love, because they believe their relatives are smarter and being smarter means they'll avoid all danger. Worse still, if something does happen to someone they love, a part of them will probably still blame them, for not doing enough to avoid it. Either that, or they honestly don't believe that sexual assault and rape are all that bad, because everyone likes sex, right? The lighter sentence makes me lean towards the second option, in this case.

I don't know exactly, that's why I want to dig into it a bit further.

Usually charging decisions come down to two things: what the law says and the weight of evidence.

On a swift reading (and on which I might be wrong, so don't hold me to it) it seems that digital penetration may count as rape in Tennessee but not in California.

And as for the evidence, both cases had forensics, but Batey was and Turner wasn't on camera.

Plus of course, different states, different prosecutors. Oh, and different Grand Juries - I had forgotten about those, as we don't have them this side of the pond.

But he was convicted, I could see that meaning that the threshold for charging him is higher, but the jury seemed to think that he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If the Judge felt that the evidence wasn't sufficient, I think he would have specifically noted that.

The Judge having history of backing rapists has been mentioned before bit here's the information.

In 2007, a 17-year-old girl alleged that she was gang-raped by at least nine members of the De Anza College basketball team at a house party while she was severely intoxicated. Three soccer players discovered the rape in progress and broke it up; they said they discovered her unconscious and covered in vomit, and called it “clearly not consensual.” District Attorney Dolores Carr ultimately decided not to move forward with the case, which was met with criticism and protests at the time.

In 2011, the case was brought to civil trial and the victim sued for $7.5 million in damages. Judge Persky presided, and, according to a Mercury News court report from the trial, one of his evidentiary rulings was as follows:

Judge Aaron Persky ruled before lunch that Knopf can show the jury seven photos of the woman, whom the court is calling Jane Doe, partying about a year or so after the alleged gang rape. In the photos, she is scantily clad, wearing a garter belt and what appear to be fishnet stockings.
In one picture, a boy appears to be straddling her as she lies on a bed in what looks like a dorm room. Everyone in the photos is smiling and playing around, enjoying themselves. [Defendant Christopher] Knopf's lawyer says the photos are a "direct contradiction" of plaintiff's claim that she is socially isolated and socially reticent.
As it so often happens in sexual-assault cases, especially when alcohol is involved, the perception of the victim influences how juries convict accused rapists. Allowing photos in the courtroom in which the victim is “scantily clad” unfortunately plays into the bogus yet age-old argument that a woman who’s dressed provocatively is “asking for it.”

The jury ultimately found the men accused of the gang rape not guilty and did not award the victim any damages.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/brock-turner-judge-aaron-persky-controversial-history.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom