• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare loses more employees

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've been calling bullshit on Rare since before the N64 expired, actually, not since MS picked them up. Their quality was already significantly in decline before Nintendo and MS's most recent consoles even hit the scene.

But that's just me, maybe.

Hero

Didn't Nintendo buy Retro for the nice sum of 1 million dollars?

Hm, let's see here.

Sell Rare: +175 million
Buy Retro: - 1 million

Tough decision I suppose.

The Rare of today is nothing compared to last generation. Or even two generations ago.

On SNES, Rare had the DKC series as a blockbuster.
On N64, Rare had Goldeneye as one of the best selling games, in addition to DK64/DKR/PD.
On GCN, Rare had a mediocre Zelda-clone which sold okay, but probably no where near the amount of money which they spent several years making.
On Xbox, Rare developed GbtG, which I don't think needs explaining.

Really, how is this a good deal for Microsoft? I can understand if Conker sells millions, but I just don't see that happening.

Hero said:
Really, how is this a good deal for Microsoft? I can understand if Conker sells millions, but I just don't see that happening.

It's not. As I've said before, it's the primary reason Ed Fries left MS. Because whether you are MS or not, $375M is $375M - a shitload of cash than demands some kind of ROI in the near term.

I remember Ken Lobb being asked about this. His answer was something along the lines of "We didn't buy them for what they can do now, but what they can do several years down the road."

Must have some big crystal balls...

Mejilan

Or just big balls.

Rare output some of my favorite games in the early and mid-life eras of the N64.

But, barring one or two exceptions, their late-N64, GCN, and Xbox stuff were all duds.

Rare shifting to Xbox SHOULD have sold me an Xbox. But with their most recent games in mind, I held off.

Now, if Rare somehow turns around between this gen and next, I may get a Xenon for them. But I want them back to capacity from the first half of the N64's life. At least.

Chrono

Banned
It's talent that makes good games not money. Employees leaving Rare isn't just a small problem no matter how many "supervisors" Microsoft sends to look over Rare.

Hero said:
Didn't Nintendo buy Retro for the nice sum of 1 million dollars?

Hm, let's see here.

Sell Rare: +175 million
Buy Retro: - 1 million

Tough decision I suppose.

It only cost 1 million to set up Retro... @__@

speaking of Retro I hope their first Revolution game isn't Metroid Prime 3.

Redbeard

Banned
So if Rare already sucks; all the talent left, they can't get games out on time, etc... then shouldn't it be a good thing that the no-talent hacks are leaving?

Chrono

Banned
Redbeard said:
So if Rare already sucks; all the talent left, they can't get games out on time, etc... then shouldn't it be a good thing that the no-talent hacks are leaving?

Well if they already suck... now they suck more. :p

Deepthroat said:
Ghoulies dosen't suck. But I doubt you people ever played it so I'll move on.

You don't need to play EVERY game that comes out to see if it's good or not. Here are some reviews:

IGN: 7.0

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/455/455857p3.html

Gamespot: 6.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/grabbedbytheghoulies/index.html

Gamespy: 2 stars out of 5

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/grabbed-by-the-ghoulies/6297p1.html

I guess it's not a really bad game but it's not more then average in any review.

Suikoguy said:
Ironic, cause I own a Xbox, Cube and PS2 :)
I just find it amusing, for all the money they spent, it has done virtually nothing to help their xbox yet.

Take a business 101 course, please. Rare will probably be around longer than you, and churn out more productive ideas than you, too, so $300 million isn't that big of a deal.

Shiggy

Lisa Lashes said:
Nintendo did well to rid themselves of Rare. Retro is now Nintendo's new Rare as was SK.

If you are a GameCube fan, you will be lucky about Silicon Knights in the future.

Lisa Lashes said:
Nintendo did well to rid themselves of Rare. Retro is now Nintendo's new Rare as was SK.

Yup, sure thing. Instead of Nintendo's annual second party output of 4 games, now it's at 2. Retro sure keeps 'em coming! I hear in Metroid 3: Online Maybe, they'll add LAN support!! And the N-bots didn't think it'd get better than mulitplayer support!

*whew*

Solid

Chrono said:
I guess it's not a really bad game but it's not more then average in any review.
That's true. I'd rate it 7/10. But people seem to think it's a piece of crap - which it definitely isn't.

dorio

Banned
After all the handwringing about a multibillion dollar corporation not getting enough return on investment YET for their $300 millon investment, I'll still be having fun playing Conker, Killer Instinct, and PD0.

dorio said:
After all the handwringing about a multibillion dollar corporation not getting enough return on investment YET for their $300 millon investment, I'll still be having fun playing Conker, Killer Instinct, and PD0.

the question is would you play these if they were still at Nintendo field???

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dorio said:

...when?

So far, Rare has announced 0 titles for the XB that I'm interested in. And no, I don't care about Conker (Conker is a 13 yeard olds dick joke, with a bunch of spoofs thrown in).

Frankly, I think MS pulled a Munsen on this one.

Tenguman

rarelemon.jpg

*runs*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
human5892 said:
Well, that's the problem -- that the entire point of buying Rare was misguided. ^_^

It was a noble effort on Microsoft's part to try and lure those types of demographics, but I think a better alternative could've been found for much less money...not to mention a speedier turn-around time on projects.

They did try your idea...

To name the ones i can find...

Kung Fu Chaos
Oddworld
Blinx
Voodoo Vince
Azurik
Fusion Frenzy
Whacked
Sneakers

And thats not including Tork, Psychonaughts which didnt (so far) even make it out the door, and Malice, which eventually did...eventually.

They span a few genres but they are all aiming at that light-hearted action crowd, the exact same one rare is aiming at now. Some were better than others (I still play Kung Fu Chaos when i have people round), none of them turned out exactly right, and only Blinx got a sequel.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Actually, MS's purchase of Rare was a good thing for most Nintendo gamers... we are getting more Rare GBA games per year than we did while they were partnered with Nintendo.

Speaking of that... wasn't there some sort of press release or announcement by MS that Rare's handheld division would be making games for the PocketPC platform? I thought I heard that BK and Sabrewulf were scheduled to be ported.

Mejilan

hahah, that's kinda true DD. Rare's GB and GBC output was pathetic in both quantity and quality back when they worked exclusively with Nintendo. Now that they don't, both factors seemed to have improved remarkably. Lol.

I wish Rare was back with Nintendo. I have an xbox but I'd rather play a Rare game on the cube. Sure, Nintendo has Retro but keeping Rare would have helped them at some point in the long run and Nintendo still hasn't found a developer to totally fill Rare's shoes(imo Retro is a different beast).
I'm really looking forward to Kameo.
Nintendo could use some of that action right now, imo.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Ghost said:
They did try your idea...

To name the ones i can find...

Kung Fu Chaos
Oddworld
Blinx
Voodoo Vince
Azurik
Fusion Frenzy
Whacked
Sneakers

And thats not including Tork, Psychonaughts which didnt (so far) even make it out the door, and Malice, which eventually did...eventually.

They span a few genres but they are all aiming at that light-hearted action crowd, the exact same one rare is aiming at now. Some were better than others (I still play Kung Fu Chaos when i have people round), none of them turned out exactly right, and only Blinx got a sequel.
Geezus, outside of the launch title of Oddworld, look at the list of sales stinkers. In retrospect, whatever MS invested in these companies still seems downright genius compared with short and mid term investment with Rare.

Alcibiades

I don't understand with the jumping of XBots on the 4 GBA releases (which were pretty much completed before/around Sept. 02 anyway, the problem was a publisher) as counting towards the "5 games in two years".

It was obvious there was a reference to XBox games, since Conker and Kameo were not targeted at 2005 at the time, but rather 2003 releases, so if Ed Fries was counting GBA games, he would have said 10 releases or something...

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3460

Microsoft Acquires Video Game Powerhouse Rare Ltd.

Developers of Such Worldwide Hits as "Donkey Kong 64," "Banjo-Kazooie," "GoldenEye 007" And "Perfect Dark" Bring Their Talents to Xbox

REDMOND, Wash. — Sept. 24, 2002 — Microsoft Corp. today announced it has purchased U.K.-based Rare Ltd., one of the world's leading video game developers, further demonstrating Microsoft's commitment to providing the most innovative interactive experiences available on its Xbox™ video game system. Rare has been the mastermind behind some of the most popular video games in history, including such global multimillion sellers as "GoldenEye 007," "Perfect Dark," "Banjo-Kazooie" and "Donkey Kong 64." Under terms of the $375 million cash transaction, Rare will today begin creating exclusive console gaming blockbusters for Xbox.

In a statement made from Seville, Spain, where the announcement was made to both a live and worldwide webcast audience during the company's annual X02 event, Chris Stamper, chairman and technical director of Rare, said, "Our mission at Rare has always been to make the industry's best games for the widest possible audience. Teaming with Microsoft gives us the best opportunity to accomplish this goal. Microsoft's dedication and commitment to game creators, research and development, and to gaming innovation made them the obvious partner to take Rare into the future."

"We've always insisted on pushing the envelope when it comes to creativity," added Tim Stamper, co-founder and creative director of Rare. "And now we get the chance to create for Xbox."

Rare co-founders Chris and Tim Stamper and their talented team of game developers and designers will continue to work out of Rare in Warwickshire, England. Rare was founded in 1985 as a partnership between the Stamper brothers and Joel Hochberg, now Rare president.

"This partnership significantly broadens our already outstanding portfolio of games that will be available for Xbox. And it also broadens our reach internationally as gamers around the world have demonstrated their fanaticism for what Rare consistently produces," said Robbie Bach, Chief Xbox Officer at Microsoft.

"The last time I was this excited was the first time I picked up a controller and played a game from Rare," said Ed Fries, vice president of Xbox Game Content at Microsoft. "As a gamer, you could hardly wait until Rare's next title was announced. You didn't know what genre it would be, but it didn't matter because you knew you were going to love it."

Rare grabbed the attention of the video game world in 1994 with its creation of "Donkey Kong Country." Selling more than 8 million copies, "DKC" went on to become the biggest- selling 16-bit title in history. Rare became one of the premiere developers in the world, with sales averaging 1.4 million units per title and nearly 90 million games sold since the company was founded. Five of the top 20 all-time-best-selling N64 titles were developed by Rare, including "GoldenEye 007," the second-best-selling game in North America, with worldwide sales topping 8 million.

With today's announcement, Rare becomes the latest member of a star-studded lineup at Microsoft Game Studios, joining such prestigious worldwide developers as Bungie Studios, the masterminds behind the smash hit "Halo™," named Game of the Year by Electronic Gaming Monthly. Rare's first creation for Xbox, "Kameo," is expected to reach store shelves next spring. Also under development is the highly anticipated sequel to "Perfect Dark." The company is expecting to develop at least five games over the next two years in a variety of genres, including racing, shooters and platformers.

It says DEVELOP five titles in the next two years (not releasing already made games on GBA), and it only mentions XBox in the whole release...

Mejilan said:
I've been calling bullshit on Rare since before the N64 expired, actually, not since MS picked them up. Their quality was already significantly in decline before Nintendo and MS's most recent consoles even hit the scene.

But that's just me, maybe.

Well, if you look at their history in video games (over 20 years), they release lots of crap, average, and fucking fantastic titles....just like ANY developer. Look at the NES for the best example of this. Rare is still going to make great games, IMO. Just not all of them will be considered so.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yes but as you can plainly see, it doesnt actually say Xbox, its PR ffs. If MS hadnt delayed Kameo and Conker they would have come out and praised rare for releasing 6 games in 2 years.

Alcibiades

actually, it's Ghoulies + Kameo + Conker + hinted Racer (formerly Donkey Kong Racing) + hinted RPG (on raretopia.com), so there is your 5 games in development (leaving out PDO for the moment), my guess is that was their target, but something happened and now Microsoft has 24 of their own people calling the shots there, they must have wanted to streamline the operation...

I'd just like to point out, because it often gets repeated in threads like these, that Microsoft did not shell out $175 million or however much and got Conker, Ghoulies, Perfect Dark, Kameo, etc in return. This may seem like a "duh" point, but that amount is how much Microsoft paid for the company upfront. Running Rare isn't free. I'm not sure if there's any way to get the amount it's cost Microsoft to provide Rare with the needed resources, marketing, and so forth, but make sure to take into account that it's cost Microsoft a lot more than the upfront fee they payed Nintendo/Stampers/whoever for Rare.

Alcibiades

Ghost said:
Yes but as you can plainly see, it doesnt actually say Xbox, its PR ffs. If MS hadnt delayed Kameo and Conker they would have come out and praised rare for releasing 6 games in 2 years.

this interview specifically states that Ken Lobb "feels good" about their stated commitment to 5 XBox titles in 2 years, it's not ambigous at all about what platform:

http://www.raretopia.com/features/anaudiencewithkenlobb/

But how, then, is Microsoft so confident that it will stick to its bold promise of delivering at least five Rare titles for the Xbox within two years, which we presume that it still stands by?

We are working closely with them to deeply understand their schedules, more so than with Nintendo. At this time, I feel really good about the five games in two years topic. Really good, and really excited!

Rare is obviously a very valuable company (especially with strong brands like Killer Instinct and Banjo-Kazooie), it's just that they definitely didn't meet expections for their first two years with Microsoft...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
it's just that they definitely didn't meet expections for their first two years with Microsoft...

Oh i agree with that (even with GBA games they didnt meet their target) but it hasnt just been down to Rare being slow, its been down to MS wanting games that were catered to their needs, not just ports of partially developed GC games (DKR canned, Donkey Kong Party game canned, Kameo re-worked). I assume this decision was taken after the initial announcment.

MASB

dorio said:
For Conker, you may, may be playing that in early 2005. With Rare, any release date is uncertain, no matter how many assurances. For Killer Instinct and PD0, it may be years before you're playing those games. And people say Nintendo fans have game droughts. Dorio's drought, that's almost on a Working Designs scale.

As for Rare, I'm just not into them like I was. If they release a great game, then great, I'll play it. But they've delayed their games so many times in order to release mediocre/average efforts lately (lately being more than a few years becuase of Rare's slow production) that I no longer think of Rare's games as automatically being quality like I used to. I think it started with DK64 and has been reenforced for almost all of their games since then. Their recent GBA efforts have saved them (as far as quality), not anything they've done for the GC/XBox.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Chrono said:
It only cost 1 million to set up Retro... @__@

speaking of Retro I hope their first Revolution game isn't Metroid Prime 3.

An excerpt from a rumor from remedy47 on Gamefaqs:

I found this out on videogameuniverse.com, anyway they said that Jeff Spangenberg was interested in reviving some other projects for the Gamecube after Echoes is released and that if there was a Metroid Prime 3 game to be made, Retro wouldnt be handling the sequel.

Thats not good, Metroid Prime was one of the best games on the GCN and I am sure that Echoes will carry on the traditional as well. Anyway he says the company wants to move onto bigger things other than just relying on one franchise to support their funds. But since Prime was a smashing success in the United States, and Echoes seems to be wildly popular alread, they say that they have attracted enough funds to support or possibly revive other projects such as Raven Blade, World Destruction Tour, Thunder Rally, NFL Retro Football, and a new action game called Gensu.

also confirmed by both Retro and Nintendo is that Nintendo will most likely continue to support Retro Studios as their 2nd party housed developer, however they will try to persuade them to do a Metroid Prime 3.

This is an unquoted thing Jeffy said "The Metroid franchise has been wildly popular in the United States and we as a company are very glad to help Nintendo revive this classic franchise to the fullest of our abilities, however, two's enough for us anyway. We will not however totally rule out the possibility of doing a Metroid Prime 3, we just have other projects in mind"

Raven Blade? (froth if true)

Alcibiades

Retro may be a 2nd party in name, but technically, they are a 1st party developer since Nintendo owns 100% and from what I'd gather, have complete jurisdiction over what happens are Retro...

Top Bottom