• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

I forgot Solar Jetman was a Rare game. I had it but I don't remember ever finishing it, probably would have when I got older had I not sold my NES and almost all my games for my SNES which I "bought" from my grandmother even though I was already the only one who played it, I really regret doing that.

Well, I finally beat Battletoads! May have abused the rewind feature but I completed it none the less. Was hoping for an achievement or something but i'm pretty pleased with myself, it's actually a fantastic game and is way more enjoyable with the rewind feature.
OI77A7p.jpg

TentPole

This makes no sense to me, they are in completely different genres. That's like me saying I can't enjoy FIFA anymore because the combat in Bloodborne is really good.
That's a silly comparison it is true they are very different games but they are in the same series with a good deal of shared DNA. But the my point is that in hindsight Banjo feels like it is extremely wrote and completely unnecessary whereas N & B shows that the Banjo serious can be something very interesting.

Bastion

Anyone else having problems installing and playing Jetpac Refueled and Banjo-Tooie? banjo is installed but gets an error code when starting it. It won't let me uninstall it either. Jetpac Refueled won't finish installing for me.

Conezays

Anyone else having problems installing and playing Jetpac Refueled and Banjo-Tooie? banjo is installed but gets an error code when starting it. It won't let me uninstall it either. Jetpac Refueled won't finish installing for me.

This happened to me at 100 % for Jetpac. I had to uninstall, then reinstall and it worked. Your mileage may vary.

Re: Conker's framerate...it's definitely not great. I played the Banjo remakes on 360 and they looked/played much smoother than it. The Banjos and Perfect Dark XBLA port all play much better than the N64 games in RR (Conker, Blast Corps, etc). Conker is the one that stands out as disappointing for me as the Banjos run much better. That being said, it's still the best the game has looked, so I digress.

Also, I'm still not getting consistent audio ingame for stuff like Battletoads, Snake Rattle N Roll, etc. Not sure what's going on. Surely, I've downloaded all content by now?

krpiper

I beat the jetskis in Battletoads for the first time
using heavy use of the rewind button! My left finger is so sore!
I am so proud!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anybody having issues with the controller in these games? It often forgets I'm holding down the A button - so eg in Pro AM II the car will just grind to a halt until I let go and press it again. Really annoying.

drotahorror

This is much better than I expected. Only played Battletoads but I really like the snapshot feature thing too. Wish more games had that.

Could someone test the game with Parental Controls turned on?

The game's officially rated from E-M, but I'm not sure if that means the game will not load period with them turned on, or if it will know to only let certain games load.

Drago

My copy came early, everything's almost done installing!! :D

Could someone test the game with Parental Controls turned on?

The game's officially rated from E-M, but I'm not sure if that means the game will not load period with them turned on, or if it will know to only let certain games load.
Pretty sure it won't load with them turned on, unfortunately.

Docpan

If I knew beforehand that Conker's performance was going to be so shitty (no pun intended), I would have just said port over Live and Reloaded. Grabbed by the Ghoulies really runs amazingly well-- perhaps the #1 standout of the collection?

Drago

Holy shit, looking through some of the stuff in Rare Revealed and they have music from Project Dream and Twelve Tales Conker 64 to unlock. :0

Too bad you need to be like Rank 28-30 to unlock them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
What a shitty way to look at things.

I'm not being negative for the sake of it. When they revealed that Banjo trailer at X06 I was unbelieveably excited, but the final game was a completely different genre. The worst part is that the beautiful empty world it takes place in was probably built for the original version of the game. BK is my joint favourite game of all time and I bought a 360 after I seen that trailer, I have the right to be bitterly disappointed. Imagine if Shenmue fans found out in the run up to S3's release that they had changed it's genre to a 3rd person shooter or something. A stunt like that isn't easy to forget.

That's a silly comparison it is true they are very different games but they are in the same series with a good deal of shared DNA. But the my point is that in hindsight Banjo feels like it is extremely wrote and completely unnecessary whereas N & B shows that the Banjo serious can be something very interesting.

But they are not from the same series, one is a 3D platformer and the other is a create-a-vehicle game. Your comparing apples and oranges.

Cindro

I've decided on a system for tackling these games - I'll allow myself to play only two games concurrently: one modern and one classic (I'm defining modern as starting at the N64 era), and the classics I'll tackle in order.

So far, so good - about 25% of the way through Conker with a few breaks to play Jetpac. All Jetpac snapshots complete too - snapshots are awesome, and I really wish there were some for the modern games as well.

Still, having a blast so far. After work today I'm going to marathon as much as Conker as possible before bed - I think my original goal of having that game beat by Wednesday (tomorrow) night is still feasible.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Years ago I preordered Nuts and Bolts from Gamestop because it came with a free code for Banjo Kazooie HD. They "ran out of codes" when I picked up my pre-order, and they never gave me one.

Now I can FINALLY play Banjo Kazooie.

Fuck you, Gamestop.

Argh, I didn't get around to ordering this one. Must own a copy even though I don't own a XBO and not sure if I will for a long, long time...if ever.

Buy British!

Berordn

So many of these games were published by Nintendo.

Kudos to Nintendo for making this collection happen.

Not that they sold the publishing rights alongside the IPs and their share of the company or anything...

(is this sarcasm? can't tell...)

SpokkX

Was there any word about a performance patch for Banjo N&B?

Love the game but the framerate is quite a bit worse than on 360 (which was not perfect to begin with)

Riky

$MSFT
I was pretty shocked how good Ghoulies looks, if they could do this to more original Xbox games then it would be great. Also the N64 games look better than I expected, Conker looks nice and KI Gold looks cleaner than the arcade port of KI2.

ss_lemonade

Are the 360 games in 1080p, or are they just emulated backwards compatible 720?
BC, so they are exactly how they look on the 360.

Is Perfect Dark XBLA 1080p? Looks really clean and nice. This will probably be what I'll finish first since I never got around to owning it.

I can't believe I never got to play Conker's Bad Fur Day before today. Was legitimately in tears from laughing so hard, and I barely got anywhere in the game. Rare da best.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
30/330 stamps so far. This is going to be a heck of a journey :)

Anyone word on how Viva Pinata is in this collection? Framey, or pretty playable? It's the 360 game I'm most looking forward to.

Tried JFG last night but I think I'll be waiting until the update for the controls come. Just feels weird atm.

Going to try and finish the last Jetpac achievement before focusing on another game.

What a damn good collection.

JP

Left the console on standby to make sure everything was downloaded and updated, got home after work to find that it's messed up the games as there are duplicate game files. I have duplicate copies where one copy is listed as Ready to Install but it won't let me download or delete it so I just have black squares with the names of the games on.

I've tried going in through the settings and deleting data there but it just takes me back to the My Games section so there's nothing I can do their either. Has anybody had issues like this? Anybody know what to do?

Really annoying, this is my first and last go at pre-ordering games on the Xbox One.

SimonM7

Is anyone else having problems uploading screenshots/videos from the 360 bc games? I made a video and took a screen of a design in Banjo N&B, and it tells me it can't even "save" them on my Xbox One/Upload app. I can view them, though.

Could it have something to do with changing the region on the console? I wanted to avoid the localisation in N&B.

edit: It doesn't even give me the option to "save" when I press the menu button on the screenshot or video. Just set as background. Other, earlier screenshots work.

edit 2: Tried with a different bc game - Shadow Complex. Works fine. It's just N&B. I'll try with a different Rare bc one...

edit 3: Doesn't work with PDZ either. Anyone else having this issue?

final edit: Urrgrghh. Actually seems to have to do with the region setting. GREAT. Now I have to play Viva Pinata and Banjo in Swedish if I want to take screenshots. Please, kindly support this: http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...tions/6028840-don-t-region-lock-the-languages

CASE REOPENED: Wtf. Now I switched back to Swedish, and I still straight up cannot save/share screens and video from N&B.

Well, I finally beat Battletoads! May have abused the rewind feature but I completed it none the less. Was hoping for an achievement or something but i'm pretty pleased with myself, it's actually a fantastic game and is way more enjoyable with the rewind feature.
I played battletoads on the nes for 10 mins then. How do you rewind? I know you hold start to choose save and that's about it...

Played every game for a while. Yep, it's a great package. While the CRT filter is better for the 8-bit stuff, it's a bit too blurry, decimating some non-dithered detail, and the extreme curvature, simulating the distortion on a classic tube television, is kind of annoying. Still, it's better than raw and super-sharp pixels. Give us a few options in the filters, at least, where I can choose to preserve perfect geometry and still get some kind of help on the overall image quality that was best-remembered and experienced on CRT, Rare.

The N64 emulation desperately needs a scanline/bilinear filter at the minimum when those low resolution UIs and really stretched textures in JFG and Blast Corps. really pop out at you sometimes. It's shockingly jarring without some kind of effect in place to mitigate the stark contrast between relatively decently detailed and formed characters and structures against rather plain and low poly backdrops. KI Gold looks fucking terrible compared to the simple arcade emulations of KI and KI2 that released in conjunction with KI reboot and a lack of a decent screen filter has a lot to do with that.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies disappointed me back on the OG Xbox for its auto-fighting stick control, like the PS2 game, Rise to Honor, but the doubling of framerate and a severe lack of 3D brawlers this gen has kinda-sorta led me to reevaluate the game much more positively. Always liked its presentation and look, but that gameplay really was limp-feeling to me back then. Now, I'm feeling it and having a lot more fun than I recall ever having in its original release even if it never will match up to a button-to-action-driven BEU. Great fun.

Wish the instructions made available for each game didn't resort to using the outside Help app for what amounts to just a small amount of text as that thing takes entirely too long to initiate. The snapshot instructions and rules could do with simply explaining the controls in parentheses rather than forcing someone to bother with a slow-loading, glorified rich text viewer.

Hope they improve the speed of emulation with the N64 games, but they seem on par with the original system in general. The X360 emulation needs more perfomance tweaking as Nuts and Bolts feels a bit lower in framerate than on the real hardware.

I don't know what to play first!

I already own: Slalom (NES), Cobra Triangle (NES), Banjo-Kazooie (N64), Jet Force Gemini (N64), Perfect Dark (N64), Banjo Tooie (N64), Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360), Kameo: Elements of Power (Xbox 360), Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise* (Xbox 360)

*I got it free with Gold, but never played it.

My younger brother is with me, so maybe I'll go with something with multiplayer. But what? Hmm...

ElRenoRaven

Reboot and clear your consoles cache by holding the power button for about 10 seconds. Mine kept telling me I needed an update for Tooie but after restarting the game worked.

Top Bottom