• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

I put a good amount of time into Rare Replay today, and I'm impressed with it.

- Some of the older games may be tough to play these days, but I respect them. I have had quite a bit of fun with Jetpack, Atic Atac and the second racing game, though. Slalom is pretty good, too.

- I spent a lot of time with the playlists and snapshots. So far, I've beaten all of Atic Atac's, Gunfright's and Jetpack's. The last one in the second racing game is a pain in the ass because you have to get first, and the ice part at the end is a bitch.

- Killer Instinct Gold is hard. I don't like fighting games, but I fought my way through its Arcade mode and tried some other modes. Doubt I'll go back to it.

- It crashed twice on me while I was playing snapshots.

- Jetpack Refueled doesn't seem to be as fun as the original. Its character models look pretty cheap.

- The last thing I did was start Grabbed by the Ghoulies. It looks really impressive in Rare Replay, though it's my first time playing it. I plan to beat it over the next week or so, because I like it so far. Does it ever get very difficult?

I hope to finish Conker for the first time, and also play through Banjo-Tooie for the first time via this collection. I owned both of them on N64, but the used copy of Banjo-Tooie that I bought disappeared shortly after I picked it up. I left it on a counter and I think someone stole it, because it just vanished into thin air. I'd been meaning to pick it up again.

The games that I already own (and haven't beaten) on 360, I'll play on that. There's no need to use the One for them.

PooBone

Anybody else kind of surprised they didn't put in Kinect Sports? ._.

Not saying I would've wanted them to, just pointing that out.
Nah, Kinect is so optional as to be forgotten at this point. Kinect Sports would have also lessened the overall quality of the package imo.

I never played Jet Force Gemini for whatever reason despite playing all of Rare's other N64 games and good lord at the control scheme. Think I'll leave this one until the dual analogue update comes out. 29 other games to play, so no reason not to wait.

Edit: You can go prone and roll around the ground. Resident Evil 6's predecessor! Can't shoot though.

BedBison

Neo Member
The only Rare game I've ever played besides DKC and Goldeneye is Nuts & Bolts, which I remember liking (bite me). So I guess this will be a good way to catch up on my Rare stuff. Really excited to play Conker and Jet Force Gemini in particular.

uggh. I am not happy about banjo kazooie nuts and bolts. Feels like a constant 20FPS, is anyone else having this issue?

I've yet to play it, and will likely just use my physical 360 copy when I do. I paid full price for it at launch, so it'd be a waste not to.

Anyways, my peer who reviewed the game said that Nuts and Bolts has a horrible frame rate and was the worst part of this collection.

daTRUballin

Nah, Kinect is so optional as to be forgotten at this point. Kinect Sports would have also lessened the overall quality of the package imo.

I don't see how it would've lessened the quality of the collection. Some people actually liked those games, and if someone doesn't like those games, they wouldn't have had to play them if they didn't want. Plus, it could've added more variety to the collection.

Not saying the collection isn't varied as it is by the way, just that it would've made it even more varied. :p

Trup1aya

Framerate on Jetforce Gemini is super depressing. I literally thought "finally I'll get to relearn these awkward as hell controls and shoot some bugs with consistent fps!" when I jumped in.

Not so much. I hope they patch this. It's ludicrous that the thing is emulating 360 games but struggles with N64 ones. I mean jesus.

Realistically, the n64 games are probably the most difficult to emulate... But that is disappointing about JFG... It's the game I'm most looking forward to...

When I was a kid, my cousin and I didn't mind the framerate... We thought slowdowns were hilarious

Justinh

Goddammit, I have a copy being delivered today by UPS, but I'm getting very clear "happy" and "fun" signals from the people posting that are playing it and it almost makes me want to buy it again digitally so I can play it now.

FUCK! I think I'll just wait...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's interesting to see the switch when they go from their isometric spectrum games to arcade games with slalom etc. Were they NES based?

Went to the wiki pages for some of the older games to help me decide what to play first and the formats they're available on cracks me up.

guUu3Io.png

After playing more of nuts and bolts, it seems most of the problems are in the main hub world (as in 15-20 FPS constantly). But in other areas the game is fine.

After playing more of nuts and bolts, it seems most of the problems are in the main hub world (as in 15-20 FPS constantly). But in other areas the game is fine.
Yeah, patch is also coming. Seems BC is not flawless which was expected to be honest since it is emulation and not straight running same OS like Wii U.

I'm finding it difficult to come up with anything positive to say about their early games. They like throwing randomly moving enemies at you right from the off. Underwurlde is particularly bad for that. I can't believe some of these were classics of the day (and I was there in those days too)
Many old games have aged badly. Like people forget Donkey Kong 3 and Urban Championship Nintendo made. Jetpac is the only one which I had fun with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm finding it difficult to come up with anything positive to say about their early games. They like throwing randomly moving enemies at you right from the off. Underwurlde is particularly bad for that. I can't believe some of these were classics of the day (and I was there in those days too)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Disappointing that they couldn't get games like JFG running at a decent framerate. Even if they couldn't pull off 60, a solid 30 would've been nice.

Here is to hoping for a patch.

big_z

Yeah, patch is also coming. Seems BC is not flawless which was expected to be honest since it is emulation and not straight running same OS like Wii U.

im not surprised the BC is a bit poo right now, its a preview feature after all. phil spencer said they are using the preview program to get BC up to par by the time it goes public. if you want the best experience possible then it might be worth holding off on the 360 games for a bit.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Jatpac this morning. Jetman is a different story :)
You need the context too, have a look at just how bad other games actually were at the time.
They haven't aged well, but they've aged better than anything else from that era.

Underwurld reminds me of a lesser version of cauldron 2 (although it came earlier)

Best Buy now says they are getting the game tomorrow.
Don't mess with me Best Buy I can't play it tomorrow!
Edit: Bought it digitally anyways. Best Buy is pretty good about refunds. Will use the funds to get Mario Maker for $28.

I'm super excited to see all the making of videos in this. Should be able to unlock some of the stuff right away thanks to the 360 achievements.

Played what little I could. Jetpac still is fun. Surprised how well it was handled digitally, was able to start playing below N64 in 10 minutes. After 30 it is on Xbox.

Has anyone tried the challenges yet? I remember at E3 they said you could practice the tunnel part of Battletoads. One thing I need to successfully finish before I die!

I wont be getting this game until I have gotten an Xbox one, which might be some weeks from now :( Hopefully some frame rate improvement patches by that time.

JoshHood

im not surprised the BC is a bit poo right now, its a preview feature after all. phil spencer said they are using the preview program to get BC up to par by the time it goes public. if you want the best experience possible then it might be worth holding off on the 360 games for a bit.

Not to be funny, but if they're selling a retail game using it, it's public now.

Thinking of getting this for Viva Pinata alone.

I really, really want another Viva Pinata.

Another quick question, how is the scaling of the older games in full screen? Not a fan of the windows.

Yeah, adding another game to the collection without raising the price would totally lessen the quality of the package.

eyeroll.gif

Flintty

I ordered this from Game but changed my mind, thinking the digital version would be better for me. Unfortunately the site wasn't letting me log in and I missed the chance to cancel and they despatched it. I was going to take it into store for a refund but on opening the packaging I was blown away by the box art. There's some simplistic beauty to it, so much that it convinced me to keep it.

I'm already super impressed and I haven't even installed it yet. And for £17.99. Life is good.

Top Bottom