• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

SURGEdude

What's this talk about emulation? Is it bad?

Admittedly I don't know much about the technical side of this collection, I assumed these titles were all ported to X1

Is the emulation 1080p at least?

The 360 games are whatever the original game was. The rest should be 1080.

Lynd7

I'm playing some of the Spectrum games now. They're fun but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do half the time.

Theres not some text or manual for these games at all? You think they would offer some insight into whats meant to be going on.

Zomba13

Theres not some text or manual for these games at all? You think they would offer some insight into whats meant to be going on.

There is. You use the game help button in the menu before you start the game and it snaps in things like your objective and the controls. Except, you know, people don't like reading manuals.

Conezays

Anyone else having problems with the sound? It keeps cutting out and back in.

Yep, for me it's with pre-n64 games. Typically, the sound will work in the title screen very briefly and then entirely cut out until you back out back to the option screen, then menus. Haven't had issues with N64 onwards, but this is definitely bumming me out, as can't even play stuff like Battletoads with audio.

SimonM7

The games I'm most interested in are PD and Banjo Kazooie. Are those 1080?

Yup, they are the XBLA versions. PD is 1080p/60 and has my vote for one of the best remasters hands down.

Digital Foundry was saying that there was some weird down/upscaling going on with the backwards compatibility, but provided that that is sorted, whatever slight fuzzyness came of it should be gone as well.

Yep, for me it's with pre-n64 games. Typically, the sound will work in the title screen very briefly and then entirely cut out until you back out back to the option screen, then menus. Haven't had issues with N64 onwards, but this is definitely bumming me out, as can't even play stuff like Battletoads with audio.

Rare Replay has problems when things download in the background. Sound distortion and delay is the most noticeable. It clears up once it's all downloaded, but that obviously takes a while.

If I buy the game digitally can i still pick and choose which 360 game that I want to install at a time?

Yes. They are all added to your library separately. You can cancel the downloads and pick and choose what to install. They boot separately as well.

Conezays

Yup, they are the XBLA versions. PD is 1080p/60 and has my vote for one of the best remasters hands down.

Digital Foundry was saying that there was some weird down/upscaling going on with the backwards compatibility, but provided that that is sorted, whatever slight fuzzyness came of it should be gone as well.

Rare Replay has problems when things download in the background. Sound distortion and delay is the most noticeable. It clears up once it's all downloaded, but that obviously takes a while.

Not sure what would be downloading at the moment anymore though. I pre-loaded the game prior, and then did any updates that were in the queue. Is there another area I should check for things being downloaded? Thanks.

terrible

Banned
Cobra Triangle is as good as ever. Being able to rewind during jump the waterfall 2 actually makes it better than ever.

the fuck is going on lol, i waited all day to get the game from amazon/ups and when i insert the disc all the games go into "Queued" instantly , all 9 games are now waiting to be downloaded

i thought for the big games you pick which ones you want to download/play , not get all of them at once

i was gonna leave viva pinata alone for a while, i just want my infected :(

Krakn3Dfx

Was going to hold off for a sale, but fuck it, reserved a copy for in-store pickup at the Target by my place. Already had a $20 copy of The Order 1886 reserved for pickup, may as well get both at once.

SimonM7

Not sure what would be downloading at the moment anymore though. I pre-loaded the game prior, and then did any updates that were in the queue. Is there another area I should check for things being downloaded? Thanks.

No, they should be visible in the queue if anything is still downloading, and the audio issues shouldn't persist if everything is done downloading. Maybe quit and relaunch Rare Replay if you haven't already.

Conezays

No, they should be visible in the queue if anything is still downloading, and the audio issues shouldn't persist if everything is done downloading. Maybe quit and relaunch Rare Replay if you haven't already.

Hmm. I've quit/relaunched and restarted the console a few times. It only happens when I enter a game, like Battletoads for example. Whenever you return to RR UI the audio returns just fine. Also plugged in my headphones to see if it was a problem with my speakers, etc.

May have to do a full reinstall of RR perhaps? Just wanting to confirm that others out there *ARE* in fact getting audio in the areas of the game(s) I am not.

Edit: Decided to bite the bullet: delete and reinstall :p Fingers crossed.

The games I'm most interested in are PD and Banjo Kazooie. Are those 1080?
In case anyone is wondering about those 360 BC titles:

Perfect Dark Zero = 1150x640
Kameo = 1280x720
Viva Piñata = 1280x720
Viva Piñata TiP = 1280x720
BK Nuts and Bolts = 1280x720

XBLA
Perfect Dark = 1920x1080
Banjo Kazooie = 1920x1080
Banjo Tooie = 1920x1080
Jetpac Refueled = 1280x720 (not 100% sure)

What's this talk about emulation? Is it bad?

Admittedly I don't know much about the technical side of this collection, I assumed these titles were all ported to X1

Is the emulation 1080p at least?
Not bad, but has hiccups.
All the issues in the original games are still there.

Blast Corps tends to crash when lots of stuff is processing. Nuts and Bolts BC is a big frame-droppy in some areas.

Don't notice the issues people are talking about in Conker though. Runs fine for me

ss_lemonade

So, no one else encountered any disc dirty/damaged read errors when running Kameo? Must have been just a really random glitch for me.

I also had audio that was out of sync with one of the 360 games during startup.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Mother Freaking RC-Pro AM!!!!

Loved this game as a kid.

But....
Had to do many drywall repairs due to the rage this game would create inside my 10 year old body. Nintendo sure made tough controllers back then.

Serenity now... Serenity now....

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has anyone tried Kameo yet? How's that seem?

It's one of the main 360 games I wanted to try since I never played that or Viva Pinata.

I love that I just bought a video game, opened it up, inserted the disc into my system and then this happened

Haha, yeah. I had to install the main game to make sure I wasn't waiting for everything else to finish first. Weird they didn't give the main game priority.

EBE

Has anyone tried Kameo yet? How's that seem?

It's one of the main 360 games I wanted to try since I never played that or Viva Pinata.

it runs well and looks nice but I don't think its a very good game at all. I've seen some people on here disagree and say its good, but I haven't read a convincing argument as to why.

the "dungeons" are held back by some truly awful puzzles, the combat isn't engaging, the story and voice acting are atrocious, and character/environment designs are just all over the place, like Rare didn't know what direction to take the game in during all its delays

So weird question, but what exactly is the achievement breakdown for this?
4000 for the main collection (non-game specific achievements). Each game is treated as DLC except the XBLA/360 games in which those achievements are used in place of it.

Also Kameo and Viva Pinata were the smoothest games I tried on 360.
XBLA was in the middle.
Nuts and Bolts is baaaad in towns and PDZ in general is broken.

Hopefully they patch PDZ because I call it Master Chief Collection bad.

klaus

:( That is the main game I was looking forward to it bc I never played it.

Well tbh it's only really bad in the center of Showdown Town where there are tons of characters (and no significant platforming / challenges), the other areas / levels I've played yet (Nutty Acres & Logbox 720) are OK. If you are concerned about it, I'd suggest waiting for a patch.. (edit: but then again, the game is just pure fun and one of the most creative titles I've ever played, so I'd say go for it :)

I've been playing it all day and im now at the final boss. The framerate problems are only in the main area, the rest of the game is fine.
Well there you go, great to hear!

Hmm. I've quit/relaunched and restarted the console a few times. It only happens when I enter a game, like Battletoads for example. Whenever you return to RR UI the audio returns just fine. Also plugged in my headphones to see if it was a problem with my speakers, etc.

May have to do a full reinstall of RR perhaps? Just wanting to confirm that others out there *ARE* in fact getting audio in the areas of the game(s) I am not.

Edit: Decided to bite the bullet: delete and reinstall :p Fingers crossed.
Let me know if that works. I have the exact same problem. Any pre-N64 game has the audio dropping in and out constantly.

EBE

the performance of the 360 Rare games was always questionable. at least screen tearing has been eliminated. that said, its difficult to say how exactly the emulator has affected the framerates of these things just off hand

Docpan

Perfect Dark Zero has some of the worst aiming controls Ive ever seen. Sheesh.

Character models look great for their time.

terrible

Banned
Wow that's bad. So it's even worse than it was on 360? How?

I only ever played the demo on 360 so I can't really compare them. It doesn't surprise me that emulated 360 games run worse than the originals though.

I've been playing it all day and im now at the final boss. The framerate problems are only in the main area, the rest of the game is fine.

Yeah I haven't even left the main area. I got to the main town and stopped once I saw how badly it performed. I'll try to advance later, I hope you're about it only being bad there.

npa189

Is nuts and bolts kinda broken right now? game seems to chug in ways I don't remember. This is a good anthology, but I can't see myself playing a ton of it as I've played most of them a lot. Great price and use of the catalog finally.

bronk

Banned
So I started playing Killer Instinct Gold and i cant do any moves. I was getting super frustrated and thought i just sucked. I go and play my N64 copy and do everything flawless. I come back and try again on rare replay and cant do crap. Ive come to the conclusion this d pad is trash. I hate this controller. On another note i really like the game in general.

I feel like they rushed out BC a bit too early honestly.

Besides Viva Pinata, every 360 game I played had some issues.

That's a huge letdown to me. Viva Pinata looked great from a reel of some of the games I watched a few days ago, and I was hoping this meant the others were up to scratch, but I guess it's just using what's currently available to preview members.

munroe

Had a go on most of the games. Some of those older games are so darn hard, thank you for rewind. I quite like atic atac, trying to do that without rewind, wouldn't make too much difference as you can't rewind too much.

I started playing Jet Force Gemini but I don't remember the controls being that difficult, maybe it's different with the c-buttons, so I may wait for the patch, hopefully it won't take too long. Noticed some framerate issues but nothing major, nothing to ruin the enjoyment.

Top Bottom