• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

ElRenoRaven

Never played Conker until now and I'm loving it. I honestly didn't expect to actually laugh while playing this.

I want a sequel :'(

Closest you'll ever get is the episodic Project Spark game. Course at the rate they churn out those it will probably be 20 years before we get another episode.

Cindro

About halfway through Conker, and I'm finally growing accustomed to the (still terrible) controls and camera. I've adapted, thank god, and have begun to take a Zen-like approach to some of the frustrations with a game. If I die repeatedly, so what? The checkpoints and respawns are forgiving, and I've wanted to play this game since I first heard of it almost fifteen years ago (but was far too young for me to have a chance of convincing my parents to buy it for me).

This is legitimately the most hilarious game I've ever played. It keeps surprising me with how obscene it gets, and is such a startling contrast with Banjo-Kazooie (a game that has been nestled in my psyche for over half my life), that I can't help but be continuously shocked and awed at how far Rare pushed the boundaries. How in the hell did Nintendo ever allow this back in the N64 days? I've been entrenched in the Nintendo zeitgeist for over two decades now, and I can't think of a game on any of their systems that comes close to the amount of raunch in Conker's Bad Fur Day. If I'm surprised at how far the limits of Conker are stretched in 2015, I can't even imagine how crazy it seemed in 2001. No wonder it became such a beloved cult classic.

SERIOUSLY tempted to get an XB1 for this...

Totally worth it. I was fully sold on supplementing my Wii U with a PS4 right up until the moment this was announced at E3. After Rare Replay became public knowledge, choosing an XBone was a no-brainer. The Phil Spencer era is absolutely magnificent.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Anyone regret their purchase?

The performance issues and the fact that I have a hard time of knowing if I want to revisit old games again has me hesitant after initially being hyped for it. Xbox store credits just sitting there
I still think this is a collection worth buying an Xbone for, in the hopes that the performance issues get ironed out. As a historical record - plus being a plain great swathe of games - it doesn't make any sense letting this one pass by. And the price!

daTRUballin

About halfway through Conker, and I'm finally growing accustomed to the (still terrible) controls and camera. I've adapted, thank god, and have begun to take a Zen-like approach to some of the frustrations with a game. If I die repeatedly, so what? The checkpoints and respawns are forgiving, and I've wanted to play this game since I first heard of it almost fifteen years ago (but was far too young for me to have a chance of convincing my parents to buy it for me).

This is legitimately the most hilarious game I've ever played. It keeps surprising me with how obscene it gets, and is such a startling contrast with Banjo-Kazooie (a game that has been nestled in my psyche for over half my life), that I can't help but be continuously shocked and awed at how far Rare pushed the boundaries. How in the hell did Nintendo ever allow this back in the N64 days? I've been entrenched in the Nintendo zeitgeist for over two decades now, and I can't think of a game on any of their systems that comes close to the amount of raunch in Conker's Bad Fur Day. If I'm surprised at how far the limits of Conker are stretched in 2015, I can't even imagine how crazy it seemed in 2001. No wonder it became such a beloved cult classic.

Totally worth it. I was fully sold on supplementing my Wii U with a PS4 right up until the moment this was announced at E3. After Rare Replay became public knowledge, choosing an XBone was a no-brainer. The Phil Spencer era is absolutely magnificent.

This is why I think a Conker sequel would feel kinda pointless these days. Back in 2001, this game must've been crazy. Nowadays, it wouldn't really be shocking. Especially on an Xbox platform, and especially in an era where 3d platformers are mostly dead. Conker just came out at the right time, right place and by the right developer. I don't know if they'll be able to replicate something like that.

This is why I think a Conker sequel would feel kinda pointless these days. Back in 2001, this game must've been crazy. Nowadays, it wouldn't really be shocking. Especially on an Xbox platform, and especially in an era where 3d platformers are mostly dead. Conker just came out at the right time, right place and by the right developer. I don't know if they'll be able to replicate something like that.

Was it really that hard?

SimonM7

Yeah, this. I think Conker would be better served with a Perfect Dark/Banjo XBLA like remaster that just kinda addressed some minor niggles and updated sprites/some models to "how you remember them". Then letting it kinda live in its own context.

I also agree with the prior poster that it's still surprisingly witty and on the ball with a lot of the humour. The voice direction especially helps, I think. I think we're quick to convert our appreciation for something into a desire to see it continued, when in fact I think we're just looking for a way to hold on to the feeling longer. Sequelitis sorta broke our capacity for just loving the one singular thing.

bananas

Banned
When playing Banjo-Kazooie, I keep getting disconnect from XBL in the emulated 360 dash, but am still connected on the Xbox One UI. :\

robotrock

Banned
So is anyone else having the issue with Jetpack Refueled where the game won't seamless launch from the Rare Replay like all the other 360 games? It always makes me pop into the Xbox store, despite having the game installed.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I ended up spending most of my day playing Jetpac. Got all the stamps without savestates. Game is addicting. Played Battletoads a little bit after, but got a game over at the turbo part. Don't want to cheat.

Cindro

Fair point. If Conker had come out today for the first time, and it was the exact same as the N64 version, I wouldn't be nearly as enamored with its humor. Knowing the context of the character (who previously made his debut in a game that had a first party Nintendo character in the title [Diddy Kong Racing]) and the context of the system's company (Nintendo is still the undeniably best choice for a system that needs to appeal to all ages), it's hard to fathom the culture shock Bad Fur Day must have been. It's so hard to picture, in fact, that I can't think of anything other title in gaming history that would have elicited the same perfect storm of dumbfound. Bad Fur Day from Nintendo + a talented developer known best for it's quality family-friendly mascot titles + a decade and a half ago must have been brain-melting incomprehension.

All of that being said, I still think Rare's particular brand of humor occupies an underserved style of comedy in the gaming space, so while the shock value of a new Conker might not be there, the entertainment element is still absolutely attainable. After crushing the first half of Bad Fur Day, I would already be willing to commit without hesitation $60 to a new Conker game with the same comedic stylings with a modern control and camera scheme.

For some reason I thought jet force gemini had split screen co-op for single player. Im not touching this game until they patch the controls.

I think a Conker game could do well, although the humor would probably need to be shifted to the modern audience some. I think we will eventually get Banjo Threeie and it will have to do pretty good for us to get a new Conker.

OneUh8

What a great collection of games. Jumped around a bunch of games tonight, mostly the older stuff. Most of the pre-N64 games I never played. I think I have settle on Banjo to be the first game I finish. I don't think I ever finished the game before. So much nostalgia.

daTRUballin

I think it's also worth pointing out that Chris Seavor isn't with Rare anymore, so who knows if a new Conker would even feel the same? I'm not saying that the current talent at Rare can't make a good Conker game, but this would be like South Park without Trey Parker and Matt Stone, or Family Guy without Seth McFarlane.

Then again, Seavor can still collaborate with Rare, I guess.

so is lunar jetman supposed to be like impossible? It is so difficult that I think im just playing the game wrong at this point. There is so much shit flying around on my screen..this is like a bullethell game

-MD-

Guess we'll have to make our own

Still hurts my heart.

I think it's also worth pointing out that Chris Seavor isn't with Rare anymore, so who knows if a new Conker would even feel the same? I'm not saying that the current talent at Rare can't make a good Conker game, but this would be like South Park without Trey Parker and Matt Stone, or Family Guy without Seth McFarlane.

Yeah at best someone else makes a new Conker and Seavor comes back to voice it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
so is lunar jetman supposed to be like impossible? It is so difficult that I think im just playing the game wrong at this point. There is so much shit flying around on my screen..this is like a bullethell game

Yeah I feel like I'm missing something, my first impression was the game is insanely difficult.

lostcauz

He did the voice acting for the project spark episode so they could get him back I'm sure for some work on a sequel, certainly doing voice if not help collaborate. He does mention in the making of that the same team couldn't make Conker now though (Not because they don't work for Rare), I wasn't fully listening so you'll have to check it out.

Finished Blast corps and just got the time trial stuff to go through to get platinums if I can be bothered. I saw someone in maybe this thread or the review thread who had constant freezing with the game. I had nothing like that and apart from some noticeable framerate drops on some levels, the game held up really well.

OneUh8

I have not played all the games yet in the collection, but so far this game has been the hardest. It does seem near impossible lol.

ElRenoRaven

I think a Conker game could do well, although the humor would probably need to be shifted to the modern audience some. I think we will eventually get Banjo Threeie and it will have to do pretty good for us to get a new Conker.

I agree. A Conker game could still work. Like you said the humor would have to evolve but the big draw of Conker was the gameplay and I feel more the parodies of movies. With so many amazing movies since Conkers you could have a lot of really good parodies in the game.

Also someone mentioned Chris not being at Rare. Yea he isn't but he has said that he couldn't make a new Conker now because he's at a different place in his life and his experiences are different now. He did though come back and voice Conker for the project spark stuff and that stuff was pretty good considering the limitations of the engine and game it was made within. I think if you gave a team a good budget, access to all the original Conkers files including old pitches for Conker 2, and said keep it true to heart of the character and world they created a team could do it. For controls you could basically follow the scheme set up with Conkers: Live and Reloaded too.

*Edit* and beaten. Almost took the words right out of my mouth.

Yeah I feel like I'm missing something, my first impression was the game is insanely difficult.

I have not played all the games yet in the collection, but so far this game has been the hardest. It does seem near impossible lol.

yeah, i just dont get it lol. The floor gets blown apart really quickly, so the car becomes useless. I cant believe you have to blow up 10 bases for an achievement, it took me like 30 minutes to get one

I haven't had any technical issues playing off and on all evening so that's good. Also I have no frame of reference but conker's graphics seem fine to me other than the beginning bit running slow?

Jetpac Refuelled is definitely the 'oh wow I like this game' for me in here. It looks gorgeous too

MAtgS

Oh god the framerate in N&B is horrendous. It seriously makes the game
even more
unplayable.

sTiTcH AU

snapshot 5 on Jetpac...fuel up without having a weapon

Fuck
That

Yeah that sucked. Got advice from another poster in this thread to stay around the top right hand platform as the enemies go there the least, finished it on my second try.

Going by the making of Conker video, sounds like Rare don't actually want to do a proper sequel to it. So we may never see it at least done by rare.

Bizzquik

I wish there was a way to invert the camera laterally in Conker.

I want the camera to go right but it goes left, etc.

BD1

Banned
I'm having a hard time picking a game and sticking to it. I think I'm settled in on Perfect Dark now, but god damnit, I just want to play all of them!

Also, I'm having a really hard time readjusting to the camera controls in Conker. Another reason I wish Live & Reloaded was a faithful remake and included in this.

lostcauz

Anyone else watched the making of battletoads, one of the guys (can't remember the name) says he would like to see it come back and maybe they'll make it, its on.

RC Pro Am 2 is such a great local MP game. Sounds like a lot of people are digging the snapshots, guess I will give them a try.

I don't remember if I ever made it past the speeder part of Battletoads on NES.

Snapshot 4 in Lunar Jetman, WTF. That is rough, I'm no where near the time on that. Has anyone done it cause it feels like I'm doing something wrong.

-MD-

I wish there was a way to invert the camera laterally in Conker.

I want the camera to go right but it goes left, etc.

They didn't add an option for that? Weird.

Inverted sucks but I forgot about it after awhile, it's really only a pain in shooting sections.

At the end of the making of conker video Chris seavor said that the same team of people could never make another conker because basically they are all grown up.

Love these extras. The making of videos were all fantastic... if we are not getting a new Battletoads game after the not so subtle hint left at the end of that video I'd be shocked. Also I could never make it past the racing level in Battletoads. ..I'm kind of shocked how good and varied that game is.

Rich!

Fair point. If Conker had come out today for the first time, and it was the exact same as the N64 version, I wouldn't be nearly as enamored with its humor. Knowing the context of the character (who previously made his debut in a game that had a first party Nintendo character in the title [Diddy Kong Racing]) and the context of the system's company (Nintendo is still the undeniably best choice for a system that needs to appeal to all ages), it's hard to fathom the culture shock Bad Fur Day must have been. It's so hard to picture, in fact, that I can't think of anything other title in gaming history that would have elicited the same perfect storm of dumbfound. Bad Fur Day from Nintendo + a talented developer known best for it's quality family-friendly mascot titles + a decade and a half ago must have been brain-melting incomprehension.

All of that being said, I still think Rare's particular brand of humor occupies an underserved style of comedy in the gaming space, so while the shock value of a new Conker might not be there, the entertainment element is still absolutely attainable. After crushing the first half of Bad Fur Day, I would already be willing to commit without hesitation $60 to a new Conker game with the same comedic stylings with a modern control and camera scheme.

I remember well when the drastic change in Conker was first announced. N64 Magazine and digitiser weren't sure of whether it was Rare joking or not. Wasn't until the first promo images came out that everyone was like "holy shit its actually real"

Anyone regret their purchase?

The performance issues and the fact that I have a hard time of knowing if I want to revisit old games again has me hesitant after initially being hyped for it. Xbox store credits just sitting there

I regret unknowingly supporting some of the industry's worst practices - games not completely on the disc, and/or unplayable without patching, unreasonably huge patches, and features inexplicably only available while online (the help menu "manual").

I installed my copy, declined the 6.2 GB update, and lo and behold, 4 of the games are not selectable. They literally say "this game cannot be played until Rare Replay is updated". They're all N64 games...I guess their emulator wasn't ready when they went gold?

I suppose that's partly my fault for not checking. I guess I just didn't expect a collection of old games to be unfinished. Considering last year's Halo Collection debacle, what was I thinking?

hawk2025

I assume that the crazy color-bleeding and flickering on the super early games is exactly as they were?

It's hard to tell sometimes with the sound bugs I've been having :p

daTRUballin

He did the voice acting for the project spark episode so they could get him back I'm sure for some work on a sequel, certainly doing voice if not help collaborate. He does mention in the making of that the same team couldn't make Conker now though (Not because they don't work for Rare), I wasn't fully listening so you'll have to check it out.

Finished Blast corps and just got the time trial stuff to go through to get platinums if I can be bothered. I saw someone in maybe this thread or the review thread who had constant freezing with the game. I had nothing like that and apart from some noticeable framerate drops on some levels, the game held up really well.

At the end of the making of conker video Chris seavor said that the same team of people could never make another conker because basically they are all grown up.

Love these extras. The making of videos were all fantastic... if we are not getting a new Battletoads game after the not so subtle hint left at the end of that video I'd be shocked. Also I could never make it past the racing level in Battletoads. ..I'm kind of shocked how good and varied that game is.

Hmmm. Very interesting. Shouldn't this be kinda disappointing to Conker fans, since Seavor doesn't seem like he ever wants to make a Conker game ever again?

Top Bottom