• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

eastx

I regret unknowingly supporting some of the industry's worst practices - games not completely on the disc, and/or unplayable without patching, unreasonably huge patches, and features inexplicably only available while online (the help menu "manual").

I installed my copy, declined the 6.2 GB update, and lo and behold, 4 of the games are not selectable. They literally say "this game cannot be played until Rare Replay is updated". They're all N64 games...I guess their emulator wasn't ready when they went gold?

I suppose that's partly my fault for not checking. I guess I just didn't expect a collection of old games to be unfinished. Considering last year's Halo Collection debacle, what was I thinking?

Or you could be a grownup and download the updates, I guess.

-MD-

I regret unknowingly supporting some of the industry's worst practices - games not completely on the disc, and/or unplayable without patching, unreasonably huge patches, and features inexplicably only available while online (the help menu "manual").

I installed my copy, declined the 6.2 GB update, and lo and behold, 4 of the games are not selectable. They literally say "this game cannot be played until Rare Replay is updated". They're all N64 games...I guess their emulator wasn't ready when they went gold?

I suppose that's partly my fault for not checking. I guess I just didn't expect a collection of old games to be unfinished. Considering last year's Halo Collection debacle, what was I thinking?

Why would you decline the update...

Is 6gb "unreasonably huge" to you lol?

HUELEN10

So guys, I keep hearing mixed things; is Conker in this version censored any from the N64 version in subtitles or audio?

So guys, I keep hearing mixed things; is Conker in this version censored any from the N64 version in subtitles or audio?
It's exactly like the N64 version, AFAICT. The audio and subtitles are both selectively censored in the original, but nothing as strictly bleeped as the Live and Reloaded was.

Or you could be a grownup and download the updates, I guess.

Of course, I did. Just not right away. You could be an adult and realize there are situations where that's not possible or preferred.

But that's not the point. Why the hell isn't this a self-contained, working product on the disc? At some point in the future, there will be circumstances where this game won't work properly. But it could have been easily avoided.

Why would you decline the update...

Is 6gb "unreasonably huge" to you lol?

I was remoted into work at the time and didn't want to bog down my connection, so I waited until I was done to download the update. Is that explanation satisfactory? There are people with worse conditions to deal with, such as caps, metered usage, or even people <gasp> without internet access, or constant access.

HUELEN10

So guys, what is your favorite menu re-orchestration of a game's song?

I don't know about you, but they NAILED R.C. Pro-Am's menu theme.

In Lunar Jetman, if you constantly get in and out of the rover it moves up by like a centimeter. I am spamming Y over and over again to progress over broken ground. It will get the job done..eventually. I fear for what the snapshots are

Of course, I did. Just not right away. You could be an adult and realize there are situations where that's not possible or preferred.

But that's not the point. Why the hell isn't this a self-contained, working product on the disc? At some point in the future, there will be circumstances where this game won't work properly. But it could have been easily avoided.

I was remoted into work at the time and didn't want to bog down my connection, so I waited until I was done to download the update. Is that explanation satisfactory? There are people with worse conditions to deal with, such as caps, metered usage, or even people <gasp> without internet access, or constant access.

The collection is kinda a mess with the 360 games having there own panels and the patch. I declined the patch so I could install the game and play while the patch was downloading. Lo and behold I never got prompted to patch the game and didn't realize it downloaded until I looked at my bandwidth usage. I'm still really enjoying the collection though.

daTRUballin

It's exactly like the N64 version, AFAICT. The audio and subtitles are both selectively censored in the original, but nothing as strictly bleeped as the Live and Reloaded was.

Is there a specific reason why the Xbox version was more censored than the N64 version? It just makes no sense. Whose decision was it to censor it?

Mcdohl

I had never played the Battletoads Arcade before.

Man, I had a blast finishing the game with my roommate.

Tons of fun!

Is there a specific reason why the Xbox version was more censored than the N64 version? It just makes no sense. Whose decision was it to censor it?

Not sure why or who was the one to decide, but it seemed especially ridiculous considering just how tame and relatively pedestrian the original game's bawdiness and language was by the time the remake hit on a platform which hosted titles with much more openly raw content that sold millions.

In Lunar Jetman, if you constantly get in and out of the rover it moves up by like a centimeter. I am spamming Y over and over again to progress over broken ground. It will get the job done..eventually. I fear for what the snapshots are

The Snapshots aren't too bad, except 4. 4 is a nightmare.

DJ_Lae

Played Blast Corps for about 20 minutes so far, have completed roughly six levels and bonus levels.

Crashed three times on me. It's frustrating, as I had forgotten how much I loved the game, but now I'm on edge for an eventual (and not far off) crash every time I boot it up. I'll have to put it aside until it's patched.

RedToad64

No, I mean Continues. Like, whenever you run out of lives, and you select continue at the Game Over screen and start at the beginning of the stage. However, after (5 I think?) continues, you get a true Game Over and have to start the whole game over from the start.

I want to still get Game Overs when I run out of lives and have to start the stage over, but never have to start the whole game over again from the start.

With infinite lives, you just forever respawn where you died, and it takes a huge chunk of the challenge away.
Save at the beginning of every level and load when you die..?

daTRUballin

Not sure why or who was the one to decide, but it seemed especially ridiculous considering just how tame and relatively pedestrian the original game's bawdiness and language was by the time the remake hit on a platform which hosted titles with much more openly raw content that sold millions.

I remember reading somewhere that stores like Wal-Mart refused to sell Live and Reloaded, so MS/Rare censored the game so stores won't be reluctant to sell it or something like that. That might not be true, or I might be remembering what I read wrong. I don't know.

It seems that Battletoads just glitched for me and I probably have to restart the game (yeah, right, as if that's going to happen).

I'm on level 9 in the pipes and looking at a walkthrough it seems that the cog was supposed to go with me down the pipe so that it could destroy the pillar that's in my way. Well, that didn't happen and I can't go back up again, so I'm stuck.

SegaShack

Happy to see so many people enjoying Conker as well as the rest of these great games. As for Seavor's comments I have to say I appreciate someone who is honest and isn't stuck in the past. I'd say its much more honorable than someone who believes they can always make something bigger and better. It's only natural to have moved on and be in a different place than you were when you were younger.

Unrelated, but fuck Clinger Winger. It's a bunch of bullshit and I speant an hour and a half on that piece of crap. The controls are broken and whoever designed that level is an asshole.

EBE

I'm surprised. I'm not feeling this collection at all. I had no burning interest in Rare's older stuff so I was primarily in for Conker and Jet Force Gemini. Very disappointed to see that they don't run at a locked framerate. The 360 titles also have issues with their emulation, although to be fair that isn't Rare's fault. Still, I can't help but feel like this collection would have been better served with true remasters of these games instead of what we received. Would Rare have been able to make it to their 30th anniversary in time if they had elected to go this route? Probably not. But how nicer would it have been for their longtime fans to see Rare's games running in the best possible light?

At the moment, my favorite things about Rare Replay are the unlockable documentaries and video snippets into Rare's history and development process. They're very well done and I applaud Rare for including them. However, I do think the chosen method of earning stamps to unlock these videos is a bit counterintuitive to the philosophy of assembling a curated museum of all things Rare. These extras will eventually be made available for viewing on YouTube (if they haven't already), so having to unlock them seems a bit cheap. I don't see myself extracting any real sense of achievement out of unlocking them and I can't imagine many people doing so either. I therefore believe they should have been made available to players from the very start.

All things considered, my opinion of this collection is beginning to sour very quickly. Returning to the emulation troubles, they really are the biggest flaw of this collection. The quality of the thirty games (from resolution to framerate, to overall stability and bugginess) covers such an uneven range as to make the whole product seem rather slipshod. Many of the individual games in this collection are quite good in and of themselves, so the feelings that I have expressed here do not impact my perception of them in the slightest.

I would not currently recommend Rare Replay on the basis of its quality as a complete product but rather on the strength of a few games included therein.

daTRUballin

Happy to see so many people enjoying Conker as well as the rest of these great games. As for Seavor's comments I have to say I appreciate someone who is honest and isn't stuck in the past. I'd say its much more honorable than someone who believes they can always make something bigger and better. It's only natural to have moved on and be in a different place than you were when you were younger.

Unrelated, but fuck Clinger Winger. It's a bunch of bullshit and I speant an hour and a half on that piece of crap. The controls are broken and whoever designed that level is an asshole.

Haha xD

What game is Clinger Winger from? I'm not familiar with the name.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm surprised. I'm not feeling this collection at all. I had no burning interest in Rare's older stuff so I was primarily in for Conker and Jet Force Gemini. Very disappointed to see that they don't run at a locked framerate. The 360 titles also have issues with their emulation, although to be fair that isn't Rare's fault. Still, I can't help but feel like this collection would have been better served with true remasters of these games instead of what we received. Would Rare have been able to make it to their 30th anniversary in time if they had elected to go this route? Probably not. But how nicer would it have been for their longtime fans to see Rare's games running in the best possible light?

At the moment, my favorite things about Rare Replay are the unlockable documentaries and video snippets into Rare's history and development process. They're very well done and I applaud Rare for including them. However, I do think the chosen method of earning stamps to unlock these videos is a bit counterintuitive to the philosophy of assembling a curated museum of all things Rare. These extras will eventually be made available for viewing on YouTube (if they haven't already), so having to unlock them seems a bit cheap. I don't see myself extracting any real sense of achievement out of unlocking them and I can't imagine many people doing so either. I therefore believe they should have been made available to players from the very start.

All things considered, my opinion of this collection is beginning to sour very quickly. Returning to the emulation troubles, they really are the biggest flaw of this collection. The quality of the thirty games (from resolution to framerate, to overall stability and bugginess) covers such an uneven range as to make the whole product seem rather slipshod. Many of the individual games in this collection are quite good in and of themselves, so the feelings that I have expressed here do not impact my perception of them in the slightest.

I would not currently recommend Rare Replay on the basis of its quality as a complete product but rather on the strength of a few games included therein.
This is disappointing to hear. I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful impressions.

NateDrake

Was finishing up a few Snapshot challenges earlier tonight, and the game crashed on me several times. Odd that it never happened when I was playing the game for review last week and over the weekend. I guess I should be happy it would crash after I completed the Snapshot challenge.

Alfredo

I hope they add an option to invert the x/y-axis in games (if the option isn't already there). The camera control in Blast Corps keeps throwing me off

And there's also the forced inverted y-axis for manual aiming in Jet Force Gemini, but I assume they'll fix that with the alternate control patch?

I give up. I just can't get my Xbox to install the game properly. At first I couldn't install Jetpac Refueled. After reinstalling and hard rebooting several times the game finally showed up in my library.

Now I can't launch any 360 games from the Rare Replay menu. The game says that there aren't any 360 games installed and takes me to the store.

On the store page I can select Play and start playing the selected 360 game.

The "hold menu to close game and go back to Rare Replay" trick also won't work on any 360 game like it should.

All of the installed games are the Rare Replay versions and all games have their updates installed.

SegaShack

Yeah, I was guessing it was from Battletoads. Never played the game, but I know the game is unforgiving in general. :p
I have never got past the snow level (level 4) before this rewind feature, Even with rewind and infinite lives I just can not get Clinger Winger down.

Sorry if I overreacted a bit ;).

Yes. It's almost paradoxical how Nintendo would allow content that Microsoft wouldn't, and a generation earlier at that. Brings to mind the BMX XXX situation, although that game is better off forgotten.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Save at the beginning of every level and load when you die..?

Well, that'll work if I'm feeling super hardcore and want to beat each level on 1 life lol. After using a continue you get to start the level fresh with 3 lives. Basically, I want to conquer each level with that 3 life limit. Barring 1-ups, you only get 12 lives for the whole 13 level game as is.

The "hold menu to close game and go back to Rare Replay" trick also won't work on any 360 game like it should.
I think that only works for games built directly into Rare Replay app/game launcher, basically everything outside of the X360 games or the XBLA ports of B-K, B-T, and PD.

All of the installed games are the Rare Replay versions and all games have their updates installed.
Did you already press A on them in the My games and apps section to ensure they've properly 'installed' so that RR can see them? Many of those games weren't launchable for me there until went into that section of the OS and manually finished the installations for each one, one at a time.

daTRUballin

I have never got past the snow level (level 4) before this rewind feature, Even with rewind and infinite lives I just can not get Clinger Winger down.

Sorry if I overreacted a bit ;).

It's fine. I guess Battletoads can do that to you. :p

Your little rant about Clinger Winger was funny anyway, that's why I responded. :p

In Nuts&Bolts for 360, the FPS were so bad inside the city?

It wasn't a locked 30fps, no, just like all of Rare's retail games on X360. It seems to run a bit lower on X1, currently, though. Clearly, MS and Rare have some way to go in getting the emulation to match the original hardware perfectly.

I think that only works for games built directly into Rare Replay app/game launcher, basically everything outside of the X360 games or the XBLA ports of B-K, B-T, and PD.
It also works with 360 games. It worked for me when Jetpac Refueled wasn't installed.

Did you already press A on them in the My games and apps section to ensure they've properly 'installed' so that RR can see them? Many of those games weren't launchable for me there until went into that section of the OS and manually finished the installations for each one, one at a time.

All 360 games are launchable from my games library.

It also works with 360 games. It worked for me when Jetpac Refueled wasn't installed.
Wow, just checked and now it works when it didn't before, though it does take a mite bit longer to kick in.
All 360 games are launchable from my games library.
That's weird. RR has definitely been the most random and stop-start-afflicted package to install and get working smoothly, I'll say.

I found out that you can warp to level 8 in no time in Battletoads, so I'm back on level 9. This time I'm saving at the start of the level.

C4Lukins

So it seems this product is doing well.

My friends list is already filled with 100 users, and the 100th user has spent 20 minutes on the game.

Life is Strange is only at 54

Tales from the Borderlands is at 80

Shovel Knight34

Fruit Ninja Kinekt 2 29

ss_lemonade

It works, as long as Rare Replay actually launches the 360 game I guess. Earlier I tried loading Jetpack Refuelled and it just took me to the store page with a Play button. Game would play fine but I could not get back to Rare Replay with the menu button anymore.

By the way, anyone notice how the 360 interface (like when managing cloud saves) seems to run in a lower resolution? It actually looks like it drops the entire screen's resolution, which is noticeable when bringing up the Rare Replay exit loading bar while a 360 screen is up. I wonder if that's just a quirk of the 360 emulator/virtual machine

I just bought the console and this game, and on the menus the dpad seems unresponsive. I have to press it hard for it to move left or right consistently.

Actually now that I think about it it's similar for the xbox dashboard too.. is this normal?

RedToad64

Well, that'll work if I'm feeling super hardcore and want to beat each level on 1 life lol. After using a continue you get to start the level fresh with 3 lives. Basically, I want to conquer each level with that 3 life limit. Barring 1-ups, you only get 12 lives for the whole 13 level game as is.
Hmm... your right. Well, I tried. :p

By the way, anyone notice how the 360 interface (like when managing cloud saves) seems to run in a lower resolution? It actually looks like it drops the entire screen's resolution, which is noticeable when bringing up the Rare Replay exit loading bar while a 360 screen is up. I wonder if that's just a quirk of the 360 emulator/virtual machine

The 360 dashboard is 720p.

hawk2025

I just bought the console and this game, and on the menus the dpad seems unresponsive. I have to press it hard for it to move left or right consistently.

Actually now that I think about it it's similar for the xbox dashboard too.. is this normal?

I think it's a known issue with the new redesigned controller.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's weird. I played the digital version for two hours yesterday, and 100%'d about 15 levels without a single problem. Have you got the digital or disc version?

Digital. It did it first literally on the intro to the game - hadn't even started the first level. I thought it was just one of those pauses from a video review I saw, but it didn't recover. Long press on the menu button lets you quit and quickly restart, but if it happens in the middle of a level it is annoying.

KAP151

I recently went thru and played conker on N64 a few months ago and can absolutely confirm that this is a spot on port. Well the only thing that isnt the same is the visual changes for button ques (ie the game audio will say press 'Z', but a L bumper icon will appear on screen).

Everything else, visuals, swearing etc is all there.

Top Bottom