• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Out of the three 360 games I've tried, all of them had to be re-downloaded. I hope it's not going to be like this with the rest as well.

EDIT: Yup, every 360 game has an update it seems. between 500-800MB each.

ctfg23

I'm playing Banjo-Kazooie and sound keeps cutting out. Going to the dashboard and back into the game temporarily fixes the issue, but the sound cuts out again a minute or two later. I didn't have this problem with Conker or Battletoads. Anyone else have this issue? I haven't tried any other 360 games, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with those or just BK.

Zomba13

Making my way through these snapshots. Fuck Knight Lore. Fuck the spectrum. All these games have just been mostly bad. Jetpac is fine and great though. Lunar Jetman is super hard, like a bullet hell with slowdown, Atic Atac Just seems frustrating having to just wander aimlessly for the key bits, same with Saberwulf though the combat is worse, Underwurlde looked fun but you're a human ping pong ball and that is frustrating with the jump angles and all the enemies, Knight Lore is just so slow and the isometric angle makes things hard.

I mean, for the time I guess they were impressive and at least Jetpac still holds up. Anyway, I don't mean to complain about them really. I didn't buy the collection to play them anyway. Just to try them and see what they were like after hearing about them. Except Jetpac, Jetpac is cool as fuc (and I've felt that way since first playing it in DK64).

Alienfan

As someone who has literally only played Perfect Dark Zero prior to purchasing Rare Replay, the only games in my opinion that hold up, and that I would play more than once are the 360 Rare games. It's opening my eyes to just how far games have come over the past 30 years; it's quite amazing really! Nuts and bolts seems like it could be a real gem of a game, love the 4th wall breaking humour and the vehicle building mechanic are potentially interesting! A shame about the awful frame rate, was it like that on the 360 too?

As someone who has literally only played Perfect Dark Zero prior to purchasing Rare Replay, the only games in my opinion that hold up, and that I would play more than once are the 360 Rare games. It's opening my eyes to just how far games have come over the past 30 years; it's quite amazing really! Nuts and bolts seems like it could be a real gem of a game, love the 4th wall breaking humour and the vehicle building mechanic are potentially interesting! A shame about the awful frame rate, was it like that on the 360 too?

Playing PDZ before PD and then not being able to fully embrace PD for what it is, is a sad thought in my mind. I almost feel bad :(

It's not your fault or anything. But it's one of my favourite games ever and I wish more could have experienced it at its peak, and therefore now it still would have been amazing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Guys Viva Pinata is so good. I intended to just check it out for a minute, but I ended up playing for like 3 hours, until I got my first garden space upgrade. Then I decided to stop for the night... but I ended up beginning to plan out what I was going to to with all my new space. Had to finally tear myself away :)

Zomba13

Anyone have any idea how to do Knight Lore snapshot 4? The one with the Chalice? The top score is like 15 seconds and I don't even know how. I thought I needed two items, so I could put them on top of each other but it only lets me drop one item there and you start with a shoe so... I don't know.

EDIT: NVM figured out 4 and 5.

KaYotiX

Banned
Guys Viva Pinata is so good. I intended to just check it out for a minute, but I ended up playing for like 3 hours, until I got my first garden space upgrade. Then I decided to stop for the night... but I ended up beginning to plan out what I was going to to with all my new space. Had to finally tear myself away :)

I love that series, it's a big reason I got RR. Need a new updated version now :)

Flintty

Biggest surprise for me so far is Grabbed by the Ghoulies. I always wanted it on OG Xbox but never got around to it. The intro looked pretty ropey but when the gameplay started, it popped into HD widescreen visuals - it really does look great. Well worth waiting for!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Everything about Perfect Dark is so polished. Controls, guns, sound effects, music. It makes the lack of GoldenEye a little easier.

I have never got past the snow level (level 4) before this rewind feature, Even with rewind and infinite lives I just can not get Clinger Winger down.

Sorry if I overreacted a bit ;).

I can't beat Clinger Winger either. I get maybe halfway through. It legitimately feels impossible. Not saying it is, but unlike every other brutally hard game I've ever played, this actually feels like there is no possible way to win.

Biggest surprise for me so far is Grabbed by the Ghoulies. I always wanted it on OG Xbox but never got around to it. The intro looked pretty ropey but when the gameplay started, it popped into HD widescreen visuals - it really does look great. Well worth waiting for!
I fired up Grabbed by the Ghoulies, but it was only 4:3. Have I missed something somewhere?

I can't beat Clinger Winger either. I get maybe halfway through. It legitimately feels impossible. Not saying it is, but unlike every other brutally hard game I've ever played, this actually feels like there is no possible way to win.
I think it is mostly because the button prompts are so specific in the NES version that the emulation lag + Xbox One controller being imprecise (for this type of game, back away the pitch forks) makes it really, really difficult. Hopefully they will patch a level skip option into the game because I just want to beat it.

Also I felt it a bit of the emulation lag with the Stop n Swop Egg in Treasure Cove. Was way harder than I remember.

Alienfan

Playing PDZ before PD and then not being able to fully embrace PD for what it is, is a sad thought in my mind. I almost feel bad :(

It's not your fault or anything. But it's one of my favourite games ever and I wish more could have experienced it at its peak, and therefore now it still would have been amazing.

Do you think the online multiplayer community will be revived with this collection? :)

Tntnico

Ok, I can't remove of my mind, the face of James Thomas doing Doenut (Viva Pinata) sounds. Bonus videos are so so great !

Dimorphic

How's Kameo? I never played it on X360 and really want to give it a go here. I plan on picking this up next week after my wedding on Saturday.

I did have a couple crashes last night but I seem to have been lucky compared to others. I wonder why it's not the same across the board???

I don't know if I'll ever fully appreciate Battletoads on the NES. I've owned the cart for a little while and now I've played it here, and I dunno something's missing. It's like a slow, boring beat 'em up to me every time I play it. I haven't gotten far at all though. It has nothing to do with it being an old game (I own quite a few and many I play for the first time now and love them). What are the selling points of this game when you get right down to it? What am I missing?

purg3

slept with Malkin
How's Kameo? I never played it on X360 and really want to give it a go here. I plan on picking this up next week after my wedding on Saturday.

It's a fun adventure game, I actually really enjoyed it. There's only one bit I can think of that kind of sucks due to controls but otherwise a good game worth playing.

Tntnico

Yeah that's the good thing with Rare Replay, gamers can see that they missed really great games during the Xbox era of Rare (Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo ..)

I hope that this will restore the faith in the studio for some, they deserve it and Sea of Thieves looks gorgeous :D

As far as I'm concerned, I discover all the pre-DKC games from Rare, and I now understand why Battletoads is so anticipated nowadays. I only played first and second levels yesterday, and the gameplay ideas, musics, graphics are so good for a 1991 game !

My mind was a bit blown by that list. Had no idea they made for example snake rattle and roll. One of my favorite games as a child.

Give it a fair chance, those of you who buy this collection. It gets progressively tricky a few levels in, if I remember correctly.

Flintty

I fired up Grabbed by the Ghoulies, but it was only 4:3. Have I missed something somewhere?

No, that was the surprise. The game menu and intro are exactly how they would appear on OG Xbox but when you start to play it goes HD mode and looks glorious :)

I don't know if I'll ever fully appreciate Battletoads on the NES. I've owned the cart for a little while and now I've played it here, and I dunno something's missing. It's like a slow, boring beat 'em up to me every time I play it. I haven't gotten far at all though. It has nothing to do with it being an old game (I own quite a few and many I play for the first time now and love them). What are the selling points of this game when you get right down to it? What am I missing?
I am in the same boat as you.
I play Level 1 and enjoy it, then Level 2 is a neat idea but is flawed. Then Level 3 and onwards is full of terrible ideas back to back to back (hoverboard, surfboard, snakes, etc.)

I think people like the characters more than anything else. Which is why I enjoyed the arcade game for the most part. The worst thing it does is go Contra at the last stage.

G_Berry

Banned
How do you pull saves from the 360? Do i need to login on that and uplaod them to the cloud then pull them down on the xbox one? Not sure how this all works, been off my xbox one for a while.

w0s

I watched the kids play the first few minute (back in the day I beat it at least 3 times) and it looked good. I just wish there was a kameo 2 where when you get a new power it doesn't neglect the old ones for puzzle solving.

How do you pull saves from the 360? Do i need to login on that and uplaod them to the cloud then pull them down on the xbox one? Not sure how this all works, been off my xbox one for a while.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can only do it by logging onto your 360 and choosing to upload them to the cloud.

psychotron

Started Conker last night. Looks great upscaled. The framerate is hit or miss depending on where you are, but it's still enjoyable. Hardest thing for me is not being able to invert the horizontal camera. Blast Corps is every bit as amazing as the day I bought it for N64. This collection rocks.

Neoweee

As far as I'm concerned, I discover all the pre-DKC games from Rare, and I now understand why Battletoads is so anticipated nowadays. I only played first and second levels yesterday, and the gameplay ideas, musics, graphics are so good for a 1991 game !

Congratulations, you've played every good level in the game.

SegaShack

I think it is mostly because the button prompts are so specific in the NES version that the emulation lag + Xbox One controller being imprecise (for this type of game, back away the pitch forks) makes it really, really difficult. Hopefully they will patch a level skip option into the game because I just want to beat it.

Also I felt it a bit of the emulation lag with the Stop n Swop Egg in Treasure Cove. Was way harder than I remember.
Yeah I think it may be a control issue. For example I can beat Turbo Tunnel on NES, Gameboy, and Genesis just fine, but not on this one without constant rewinding.

Hopefully they fix this.

Cindro

Apart from the updated control scheme for JFG, which other games seem to have issues that we're hoping will get patched?

Blast Corps (crashing)
Nuts & Bolts (framerate)

Anything else? I'll put these games towards the back of my list in hopes some type of fix arrives before I get to them.

NJD316

Neo Member
I already had Banjo-Kazooie beaten with all the achievements on the 360, so when I went to select it on RR, it instantly gave me enough stamps to put me on the third tier and unlock the behind the scenes video.

Will still happily replay this game for the 10th time though.

I already had Banjo-Kazooie beaten with all the achievements on the 360, so when I went to select it on RR, it instantly gave me enough stamps to put me on the third tier and unlock the behind the scenes video.

Strange that they recognize your achievements but not the save files.

Oh well! Like you said, I'll happily play though this again.

Kinsei

Banned
Lunar Jetman down (Milestones and snapshots). First time playing it and I must say I didn't really enjoy it. At least turning on infinite live and time made the milestones go by quickly.

Ended up downloading last night (I had bought from Amazon.co.uk to arrive yesterday but didn't arrive) as going digital only is a better way for e as my daughter is obsessed eith the xbox one trying to take discs out.

Non of the games had downloaded by time I went to bed. Downloaded now and game has arrived from Amazon, so going to send game to Nephew

Rokal

If you force the installation of the Rare Replay bit, not the individual games, you'll be able to start playing the vast majority of the collection after only a few minutes.

Grassy

I'm near the end of probably my 8th play-through. I try and play it every couple of years and I always forget a lot of stuff which makes it feel fresh when I replay it.
There's some really great level design in Banjo-Kazooie. The music is fantastic as well. It's just a fantastic game overall.

I literally just finished Click-Clock Wood with all notes, puzzle and honeycomb pieces in all levels. I need to sleep.

Top Bottom