• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

I'm trying to play through everything in chronological order. I managed to do all the snapshots and get all the milestones in Jetpac (great game) and Lunar Jetman (not a great game).

I'm giving up on Atic Atac. I did the snapshots with no problem but the game itself is killing me. I get lost so easily in games like this. I played for 40 minutes and only managed to find one key. I feel like I have been walking in circles the entire time. I can't play games like this without a map or something. I have a terrible sense of direction.

Sabrewulf is up next and it has maze in the description. Wonderful.

Camjo-Z

I'm trying to play through everything in chronological order. I managed to do all the snapshots and get all the milestones in Jetpac (great game) and Lunar Jetman (not a great game).

I'm giving up on Atic Atac. I did the snapshots with no problem but the game itself is killing me. I get lost so easily in games like this. I played for 40 minutes and only managed to find one key. I feel like I have been walking in circles the entire time. I can't play games like this without a map or something. I have a terrible sense of direction.

Sabrewulf is up next and it has maze in the description. Wonderful.

http://maps.speccy.cz/maps/AticAtac.png

I don't even want to think about attempting that game without this map.

daTRUballin

Welcome to the club. A game that was awesome which everyone shit on for being kiddie and too simple. It without a doubt had that Rare charm and everyone shit on it. I remember that time on GAF. So infuriating to read.

I'm pretty sure it was mostly Nintendo fans who were bitter about the buyout. The buyout happened only a year before the game came out, after all. It was still fresh on peoples' minds.

uberluigi

Banned
Seriously that Rat Race level in Battletoads is utter bullshit, can't even get past the four race with that Rat bastard even while using rewind!

Timu

Seriously that Rat Race level in Battletoads is utter bullshit, can't even get past the four race with that Rat bastard even while using rewind!
You mean 3rd, and I can beat him now fine, just hit him at the right times on straightaways and you'll be safe.

http://maps.speccy.cz/maps/AticAtac.png

I don't even want to think about attempting that game without this map.

Thanks, that's a good start I guess.

That map shows the green key being two rooms from the start though. I thought I would have to be a complete moron to miss that, so I started a new game and it's not there. I see the map was made in 2003. Were the key locations changed for this version, or are they always just random or something?

I'll give the game another shot later using that map and perhaps a walkthrough as well if I can find one. For now I'm going to move on to something else, I have a headache from trying to figure it out on my own.

It's awesome to see more people finally enjoying Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Game has always been a good romp but (I felt) was underservededly shit on.

But man, is it great to finally play all these Rare games I've never got to check out. So much to play, so little time.

PooBone

Blast Corps has crashed on me three times out of three tries. On to something else while we wait for a patch.

And yeah, Jet Force Gemini is basically unplayable with those controls.

Camjo-Z

Anyone pass Clinger Wingers on Battletoads yet? Can't even make it halfway.

I actually just beat it. I used a lot of rewind, any time I didn't make an absolute perfect turn I tried it again. The long stretches are what get you, you have to really make sure the turns leading up to them are precise or you won't make it far enough.

Thanks, that's a good start I guess.

That map shows the green key being two rooms from the start though. I thought I would have to be a complete moron to miss that, so I started a new game and it's not there. I see the map was made in 2003. Were the key locations changed for this version, or are they always just random or something?

Apparently the yellow key is always in the basement but the other keys are randomly placed. Really not a fan of these old Spectrum games aside from Jetpac TBH, way too much focus on random item placement and random enemy patterns.

It's criminal that the Banjo hoard wrought their full fury against this game at launch for not being "Banjo 3". Utter lunacy. Nuts and Bolts is a fantastic fucking game. Riles me up anytime I see dismissive comments from people that blackball this gem, most never having tried it to justify the vitriol. Completely disingenuous. Do enjoy it.

MY MAN

I think it was understandable at the time. Fans were expecting a platforming adventure game like the previous games in the series and got vehicles instead. I never got around to playing it but I'm really interested in Trying nuts and bolts whenever I can get my hands on Rare Replay.

As a fan "at the time" I was way more excited by the concept behind Nuts & Bolts than I was at the idea of trudging through another Tooie-esque slog. I bought the game day one and loved every second of it.

People are idiots.

Timu

I'll be doing a youtube playthrough on Battletoads Arcade using 5 or less continues! And it'll be in 60FPS as well!!!

Perfect dark zero online is so fucking dumb and weird.

It's like everyone is trying to play with their feet and also stuck in mud and the guns recoil all over the place.

It is such utter nonsense I am glad some people are playing with this compilation.

Shang

Really enjoying this game. Always had respect for Rare even though I'd never beaten any of their games, just sampled a bunch. Decided to move through in chronological order (more or less), and that's been good fun. Many of the early games are charming, but I don't understand a lot of them. The snapshots are also excellent; it's like what NES Remix tried to do. Can't believe this game was thirty bucks; amazing deal.

Shang

It's criminal that the Banjo hoard wrought their full fury against this game at launch for not being "Banjo 3". Utter lunacy. Nuts and Bolts is a fantastic fucking game. Riles me up anytime I see dismissive comments from people that blackball this gem, most never having tried it to justify the vitriol. Completely disingenuous. Do enjoy it.

I'm hoping this game finally clicks when I try again with Rare Replay. I want to enjoy it, but it's so sterile-- and poor Banjo's face...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Who dies this? I'm super unhappy about N&B, but of coure I have played the game - to completion. It's well done, but it's not nearly as flawless as Banjo-Kazooie, even disregarding that it is not the collectathon I wanted. Building is, from my perspective, a shit game mechanic I do not want to deal with and handling of the vehicles never is extremely comfortable. I want everything to be perfect and a building-based game cannot offer this, because otherwise people would just use the fast, well-accelerating and perfectly controlling vehicle to win everything. That being said, if you like the premise of N&B, please, play it, because for what it wants to be it is a great game.

My game just got a 224 MB update. Jet Force Gemini has the new control scheme now.

edit: damn u changed ur post :p

I played jet force for about 3 hours last night, damn hasn't aged well. So many cheap deaths and weird feeling platforming
Was just about to unlock the dog

daTRUballin

Is that what it is in the general know? This is my first time touching any kind of Perfect Dark.

Yeah, it seems most people that played it think the controls are a lot clunkier/sluggish than PD's controls.

I wouldn't personally know as I've never played the game either.

Sydle

Isn't it generally known that PDZ felt sluggish compared to PD?

Wasn't there a recommended adjustment to the sensitivity floating around? I remember feeling the same when I first started PDZ, finding the recommended adjustments, and it being better enough that it was fine.

daTRUballin

Wasn't there a recommended adjustment to the sensitivity floating around? I remember feeling the same when I first started PDZ, finding the recommended adjustments, and it being better enough that it was fine.

I have no idea. I've never actually played the game, so I wouldn't know if there was a sensitivity recommendation floating around. :p

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
Can anyone who's had crashing issues with Blast Corps try it again now that the patch is out, and report on whether it has gotten better?

No XB1 or Rare Replay here, but very close to jumping in - and the fact that my favourite game in the compilation is unstable is the main thing holding me back.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just turned on my Xbone, and what the hell happened? I had installed the Rare Collection last night, but a ton of the 360 games had interrupted installs. I downloaded the rest of them except Viva Piñata 1, which I set to insta and went to bed.

Now I turn on my console, and it has uninstalled almost all my games except master chief and forza horizon. There are a ton of gereyed out 360 rare games, including the rare collection. I hit install on the rare collection, and it takes out a huge chunk of my 1.5 TB of storage. It almost looks like all the space for all the games is taken even though the console seems to think nothing is installed. So now I have 2 games that are not greyscale out, it's installing the rare collection, and I have 100 gigs left!!

What is going on??

RK128

Hearing all this phrase for the collection plus hearing how Rare's 'weaker' games are actually really damn good (didn't know Grabbed by the Goules was a great game :D! Always heard how that game was a bad game...) is really great to hear :).

While I am still leaning towards getting a PS4, I might get a X1 for this collection in the future :).

Besides, a number of Rare's games (Battletoads and Rare's Xbox/Xbox 360 line up) I never even touched before, so it would be nice to experience them :D.

VRMN

Who dies this? I'm super unhappy about N&B, but of coure I have played the game - to completion. It's well done, but it's not nearly as flawless as Banjo-Kazooie, even disregarding that it is not the collectathon I wanted. Building is, from my perspective, a shit game mechanic I do not want to deal with and handling of the vehicles never is extremely comfortable. I want everything to be perfect and a building-based game cannot offer this, because otherwise people would just use the fast, well-accelerating and perfectly controlling vehicle to win everything. That being said, if you like the premise of N&B, please, play it, because for what it wants to be it is a great game.

As someone who honestly thinks Nuts & Bolts is the best Banjo game, I will admit that the game did itself zero favors by (I think good naturedly) ripping on the first two games in the series in the opening cutscene.

I mean, I just replayed the first bit of the game and was amused by those jokes, but considering the drastic changes to the formula the game embodied, shitting on the first two games probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way going in.

Hell, there's even a loading screen message that goes, "hey, is the vehicle-based gameplay not working for you? Try the original Banjo-Kazooie, available on Xbox Live Arcade."

JFG now has dual-analog controls with the latest patch.

Thank fuck for that.

Fucking hell... I literally just finshed playing for an hour. Oh well I always Remeber enjoying the game immensely despite its shit controls and I did just that today. Game looks and runs actually pretty nice in widesreen mode

As a longtime rare fan this compilation is so wonderful.... I've played pretty much every rare game post RC pro am and these games is giving me so much feels plus the menus and extras are absolutely fantastic... I want to play everything to completion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jet Force is SO MUCH BETTER now, jesus.

Before:

Face buttons cycled weapons, up on the right stick jumped, left/right strafed and down was crouch. When you aimed, the left stick was used to aim and the right moved.

Now it's as you'd expect. A is jump, B is crouch, X/Y cycle weapons along with the dpad, and you can aim/move normally. Invert is also an option, not sure if that was there when I played yesterday.

Glad they got the patch out so quick. Also, Jetpac Refuelled is now properly opening up instead of going to the store for me.

Viva Piñata is so good! I can't believe I missed out on this through the entire Xbox 360 generation. No lie, it was the game I was most excited for with Rare Replay. I can't wait to get back to my garden~

Top Bottom