• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Poona

I recall a lot of people not being excited for it simply because it didn't look like a game for them. Not one of Rare's big franchises.

Yeah, Cooper in Grabbed by the Ghoulies just seemed generic. He wasn't one of Rare's fantasy/animal characters. Just some random boy.

Hmmm if I'm not mistaken the fur on banjo in nuts and bolts is missing a bunch of textures and shaders. Game still runs great outside of the hub world.

Camjo-Z

How the hell do you beat Knight Lore snapshot 5? I can't seem to get past the sparkles that push you around.

Judging by the leaderboard times I assume it's possible to just jump over the spikes in the first room, but I did it the other way and got past the sparkles by going to the right, jumping over them, and then jumping over the second set of spikes when pushed in front of them.

Really tempted to get an Xbone for this and next year. JFG getting its controls sorted might push me over the edge.

I've never finished Banjo Kazooie and I've tried two runs before on N64. got a really good feeling on my current 3rd run with this version. not using the horseshit N64 controller is a huge boon. waaay better framerate too

You also get the ability to not really care about dying, haha. Keeping the note score after death made the hard parts of Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood much less terrifying in the XBLA version.

Kinsei

Banned
Judging by the leaderboard times I assume it's possible to just jump over the spikes in the first room, but I did it the other way and got past the sparkles by going to the right, jumping over them, and then jumping over the second set of spikes when pushed in front of them.

I can't jump over them. They get under me while I'm in mid-air.

Really?

I love, love how the new version looks and runs, but everything involving actually playing it has been simply awful. It's an empty shell of a game IMO.

it's so fun tho. thought nostalgia might be why i loved it so much, and that's part of it, but it still stands by itself. it's a really fun and charming game.

It's alright. I'm going to finish it for the cheevos but I probably won't be revisiting. I certainly won't go back for the collectibles.

lol the challenges are gated behind the collectibles, and at least one of the achievements is finishing all challenges.

As I recall, the justification was that Live and Reloaded is something reasonably attainable. The N64 game isn't anymore.

it's super expensive on ebay tho. it's much more likely they rather just emulate bad fur day then spend manhours porting live and reloaded like they had to with grabbed by the ghoulies.

Pachinko

I was sure I read that we got Conker's Bad Fur Day as opposed to Live and Reloaded because of the multiplayer. For one thing the N64 game has same couch multiplayer that was actually pretty fun and another reason - the online stuff added to the xbox version not only sucks by manner of being painfully generic but it would require quite a bit more work to get it all up and running again. See because microsoft turned off the original xbl server what 5 years ago now ?

It would have been nice for them to at least throw the single player portion on there and uncensor it but on the other hand, a full blown separate port of the XB version could be in the cards as it's own XBLA title too.

I picked this collection up last night on a whim (digitally to boot so I'm stuck with it forever) and I liked what I've seen so far, takes the best of some of my favorite previous collections like Sonics ultimate genesis collection or even the 2 arcade packs capcom and Taito put out a generation ago.

Solidsoul

Banned
Is there anyway to play Conker, KI, Jet force and blast corps without going online. Is it blocked without a connection?

I was a PC gamer in my youth so never really played a lot of nintendo / etc games so it was fun playing this the past day. Some games are just awful, some are really fun. Having a blast with the Banjo games, reminds me a lot of Mario 64 visually. I just don't get the Battletoads thing (besides being a 4chan prank meme), both of them seemed awful.

The two annoying things: holy shit does this thing take up a lot of disk space. I haven't added it all up but like 30 gigs or more? That seems insane, I guess its because each one has its own 360 emulator package which is probably huge. My xbox one is completely full, at least its easy to pop in a 2TB usb slim drive unlike the ps4.

Its also really annoying that half a dozen or more games are "outside" the Rare launcher, and all the rest are inside it. I'd much rather everything was inside the Rare launcher so it doesn't spread all over my dashboard. I guess on the plus side I can delete games as I finish them.

I bought the physical version with the idea of trading in and buying digital if I really liked it, but not sure anymore. Once I play a few games I think I will never really play them again, I guess maybe trade it in after 2-3 weeks and buy digital when it drops below $10.

The Flash

Banned
They said that they felt that N64 Conker was the real Conker. They also said that they are looking into possibly adding more games as DLC. L&R would obviously be on the table for that.

rezn0r

You also get the ability to not really care about dying, haha. Keeping the note score after death made the hard parts of Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood much less terrifying in the XBLA version.

I had no idea about these changes to the XBLA ports. This thread is getting me pumped. I'm going to jump on this this weekend. I played all of the N64 originals, achievements and refinements just sound so awesome. Really missed Conker too!

Overside

Banned
I played the original Battletoads a minute ago, and holy fuck, I would never make it past the ice level if it weren't for rewind/unlimited lives. The levels just keep getting more brutal too! hahaha

I dont know how to put this, but Im kind of a big deal. People Know me. I'm very important. I have beaten battle toads, on the NES, even without using any warps, and my game room smells of dank socks, wasted potential and shame.

Brannon

What's this about new control schemes? Can't they just let us edit the controls? That would be best and make lots of common sense....

They're not gonna let us edit the controls.

Christ, I've never played the original NES battletoads. It is even more difficult then the SNES one and the battletoads/double dragon games.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wow Banjo Nuts & Bolts is a great game. My son and I are playing it together. He is on the 360 with my disc copy and I'm playing it on XB1 and we are both having an awesome time.
Can't believe I didn't play this before.

Picked it up.

My goal is: Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker, Perfect Dark, and Kameo.

I will go through the others, but these are my main interests.

Really awesome package, here.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow Banjo Nuts & Bolts is a great game. My son and I are playing it together. He is on the 360 with my disc copy and I'm playing it on XB1 and we are both having an awesome time.

It's criminal that the Banjo hoard wrought their full fury against this game at launch for not being "Banjo 3". Utter lunacy. Nuts and Bolts is a fantastic fucking game. Riles me up anytime I see dismissive comments from people that blackball this gem, most never having tried it to justify the vitriol. Completely disingenuous. Do enjoy it.

Xemnas89

It's criminal that the Banjo hoard wrought their full fury against this game at launch for not being "Banjo 3". Utter lunacy. Nuts and Bolts is a fantastic fucking game. Riles me up anytime I see dismissive comments from people that blackball this gem, most never having tried it to justify the vitriol. Completely disingenuous. Do enjoy it.

I think it was understandable at the time. Fans were expecting a platforming adventure game like the previous games in the series and got vehicles instead. I never got around to playing it but I'm really interested in Trying nuts and bolts whenever I can get my hands on Rare Replay.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How is Banjo-Tooie? I never played it but was always curious about its quality.

Never liked it as a massive fan of BK1 on N64. Gave it a second shot on XBLA, even earning all 200 achievement points. It still sucked despite the performance issues being ironed out. It's got a large world that occasionally is cleverly connected beyond the traditional 'hub', but suffers from an obscene level of minigames taking precedent over proper platfomer/environmental challenges. Some irritating traversal issues(again the big world can feel tedious to wander, especially with certain challenges timing you maneuvering throughout. Occasional jank and a more 'muted' color pallette compared to the lively original game.

Felt BK1 held up great on the XBLA re-release, but Tooie was a real step-down.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Completely criminal. And for sure it must have influenced me into not giving it more time.
* I think on my old tv the text was too small or something *
I think the game actually has enough of the old Banjo formula for me and I absolutely LOVE the vehicles. Game is overflowing with charm.

Happy that this amazing game package is helping so many more gamers (myself included) have a chance to play this.

It is a good game, but it was also a pretty big slap in the face to Banjo fans when it was revealed. The original announcement had nothing to do with vehicles, and showed what looked like a regular Banjo game. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for people to be upset.

I like Nuts and Bolts, but I'm also still really bitter that there hasn't been a proper Banjo sequel in 15 years.

Lothar

Banned
I was a PC gamer in my youth so never really played a lot of nintendo / etc games so it was fun playing this the past day. Some games are just awful, some are really fun. Having a blast with the Banjo games, reminds me a lot of Mario 64 visually. I just don't get the Battletoads thing (besides being a 4chan prank meme), both of them seemed awful.

Christ, I've never played the original NES battletoads. It is even more difficult then the SNES one and the battletoads/double dragon games.

Those of you having trouble with Battletoads should watch these tip videos made last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vME1aQrGGQ part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1U66-iiPc part 2

It's actually a really good game. I bet if you gave it some time and really gave it some effort, you would appreciate it. Post what you're having trouble with.

Never liked it as a massive fan of BK1 on N64. Gave it a second shot on XBLA, even earning all 200 achievement points. It still sucked despite the performance issues being ironed out. It's got a large world that occasionally is cleverly connected beyond the traditional 'hub', but suffers from an obscene level of minigames taking precedent over proper platfomer/environmental challenges. Some irritating traversal issues(again the big world can feel tedious to wander, especially with certain challenges timing you maneuvering throughout. Occasional jank and a more 'muted' color pallette compared to the lively original game.

Felt BK1 held up great on the XBLA re-release, but Tooie was a real step-down.

I thought I remembered thinking it wasn't received well, but memory can be a fickle thing. Shame considering the quality of the first game.

robotrock

Banned
As I recall, the justification was that Live and Reloaded is something reasonably attainable. The N64 game isn't anymore.

I bet they just didn't want to do the work. Xbox games actually require a full port/remastering, like Grabbed by the Ghoulies. I imagine it was easier to just throw the N64 ROM, than giving the Ghoulies treatment to Live and Reloaded.

It still sucks though. I bet they'll offer it as DLC down the line. Game was gorgeous.

ohlawd

yeah I noticed that my song note progression saved. fuck, I really hated dying in OG BK

DJ_Lae

Oh shit, you can do this? I didn't even think to try, and my daughter loves the game.

I'm totally doing it with PD0 too.

Sydle

Yeah, so I thought I was going to start with JFG, but 2 minutes in the controls turned me off. I'm going to wait for a patch.

I'll try out Battletoads instead.

It's a fantastic game, but the concept could have gone so much further as its own IP. Alternatively, Rare could have avoided all the vitriol if they had released Banjo 3 first and N&B as a spin off a year or two later.

ElRenoRaven

Wow, Ghoulies is plain incredible... WTF is wrong with people??

Welcome to the club. A game that was awesome which everyone shit on for being kiddie and too simple. It without a doubt had that Rare charm and everyone shit on it. I remember that time on GAF. So infuriating to read.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'd be down for L&R DLC, I've always wanted to see the changes first hand, and no doubt that game would look gorgeous.

Bad Fur Day is the main game I've played so far. Up to Spooky right now and while I still always have a soft spot for the game, I forgot how brutal certain sections are. Weirdly enough I breezed through the underwater fan section which always got me stuck previously(I even had to do it twice because I forgot you needed $1000 before getting into the next area).

Never played Grabbed by the Ghoulies on the original Xbox but playing through it now the game just oozes charm and is damn fun.

It also looks incredible! Outside of the 4:3 menus and "cutscenes" if I didn't know about the game ahead of time I would have assumed it was an Xbox 360 game.

Also, god damn Conker's controls gives me headaches.

Top Bottom