• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Bsigg12

I was in the same position! Until our good friend Kinsei posted this:

I also learned that you don't even have to bomb the base first before taking to your lunar rover! Here's what I did:

1) Pick up bomb
2) Drop bomb on rover
3) Drive to alien base
4) Bomb alien base
5) Pick up turret (just to the left of the alien base)
6) Drop turret on rover
7) Get back in rover, laugh all the way to the bank

That strategy cut down my vulnerability time of being OHKO-able by at least 70%. I spent about an hour and a half trying it before this strategy, and within 15 minutes of doing what I outlined above I was able to nail it.

I'll have to give it ago again. I've done the bomb the base and grab the turret but the 1 time I was able to pull it off I fell short on points.

z = ?
B (n64) = X (xb)
A (n64) = A (xb)
L (n64) = L1(xb)?

KI Gold needs the bonus options unlocked for true fun. But I have no idea how to translate the original N64 ZBALAZ code to X1. Any ideas?

Anyone figured this out yet?

I know that the button with the two screens is equivalent to the Z button but I can't figure out L and R because they weren't used in the original game.

I even found the manual here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozd5OrZ1Iqs

C4Lukins

Some fun stats.

So I follow about 500 people on Xbox Live, mostly consisting of people with high gamer scores, Neogaf friends, and industry folks.

Rare Replay is at 130 people already on my list of people I follow. And that is up there with Halo and COD, and dwarfs hits like ESO and Witcher 3,.

But just for fun, here are some stats from the games that are separate from Rare Replay that you can track on XBOX. This is based on the last ten days.

1. Rare Replay 130
2. Banjo Kazooie 53
3. Perfect Dark 39
4. Perfect Dark Zero 37
5. Viva Pinata 29
6. Banjo 2 27
7. Viva Pinata TIP 25
8. Kameo 24

To compare it to other games I am following

Witcher 3 40
MGS 5 GZ(Free with Gold) 37
GTA5 30
Titanfall 26

So the way it currently works, I can only see the totals for the last ten days for games that nobody on my friends list is currently playing. So Halo, Destiny, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, and the such I have no idea where they would be on this list.

The new Killer Instinct is at 58 by the way.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

I also learned that you don't even have to bomb the base first before taking to your lunar rover! Here's what I did:

1) Pick up bomb
2) Drop bomb on rover
3) Drive to alien base
4) Bomb alien base
6) Drop turret on rover

That strategy cut down my vulnerability time of being OHKO-able by at least 70%. I spent about an hour and a half trying it before this strategy, and within 15 minutes of doing what I outlined above I was able to nail it.

How do you actually use the bomb? I'll give this strategy a go, but for the life of me I had no idea how to detonate the bomb

Kinsei

Banned

1) Pick up bomb
2) Drop bomb on rover
3) Drive to alien base
4) Bomb alien base
6) Drop turret on rover

It's faster if you use the teleporter. I wasn't sure if you had enough time without it so I never tried driving to the base.

How do you actually use the bomb? I'll give this strategy a go, but for the life of me I had no idea how to detonate the bomb

Drop it while in mid-air. To destroy the alien base you need to drop it on that radar thing in the middle.

Am getting my gears bundle on the 25th...i have sooo many fond memories of jet force gemini.
Tri rockets,shurikens,rainbow blood...DAT OST!
Fuck it im in.
30$ for JFG essentially, dont give a fuck about the others.

Man, Perfect Dark is so good. Haven't played it in 15 years - such a nostalgia trip.

But yeah.. out of all the games in the collection, the only one I genuinely dislike is Underwurlde. The uncontrollable pinball mechanic is one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced. Though, I guess I should be thankful for Underwurlde in that regard - don't think any dev has implemented something like it again in a platformer lol

Edit: Damnit, just saw that Lunar Jetman post. Didn't know that was a turret on the ground... oh well, I managed. But it was very stressful.

Eanan

Amazing value in this collection.

If Nintendo and Rare were still together, each individual game would have gone on the virtual console shop.

True that. As much as I like nintendo, they're eshop is atrociously overpriced here in Europe. They'd probably charge €3-€10 a pop per game in this collection.

I haven't tried yet, but after installing the 360 games, what happens if you try to play them without putting a Rare Replay disc in your XB1 (assuming you own a physical copy)?

Also, since you have to download and install the 360 games anyway, how much additional space does a digital version take up than a physical one? If it's not much, I may sell the physical version and buy digital instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wow, banjo really likes every damn little thing in the game to make a cute sound effect. And one for every syllable they speak. All the time. Can be quite grating.

And the collectathon nature just smacks you in the face right on level one. Collect 5 of these, 100 of those, all the colours of those guys, some of those and a sprinkling of those.

Jigsaw pieces, notes, honeycomb, extra lives, mumbo heads, red feathers, eggs, hidden rainbow coloured creatures. Just never ending.

Is it quite a physically small game? Seems the hub world is very meandering too - find a picture but once you unlock it you then have to find the entrance to the actual level. If there are a relatively small number of actual levels I might try and collect everything. If there are lots of levels, I really can't be arsed.

Is Banjo Tooie any better in that regard?

Kinsei

Banned
wow, banjo really likes every damn little thing in the game to make a cute sound effect. And one for every syllable they speak. All the time. Can be quite grating.

And the collectathon nature just smacks you in the face right on level one. Collect 5 of these, 100 of those, all the colours of those guys, some of those and a sprinkling of those.

Jigsaw pieces, notes, honeycomb, extra lives, mumbo heads, red feathers, eggs, hidden rainbow coloured creatures. Just never ending.

Is it quite a physically small game? Seems the hub world is very meandering too - find a picture but once you unlock it you then have to find the entrance to the actual level. If there are a relatively small number of actual levels I might try and collect everything. If there are lots of levels, I really can't be arsed.

Kazooie's worlds are pretty small. The only things you need to collect are really jiggies, notes, Jinjo's, and Mumbo tokens. The rest are just health, ammo, and lives which you don;t have to go out of your way for.

Tooie took the formula and made it into a full on adventure game where all of the worlds connect together.

FrsDvl

I'm giving up on Conker, which makes me sad, but the whole zombies thing is killing the fun for me. The controls just don't work.

I might just see if I can find my copy of live and reloaded and finish it that way.

Richie

If there are lots of levels, I really can't be arsed.

Tooie is -massive- compared to Kazooie and continues the collectathon aspect albeit streamlined; eggs, feathers, and musical notes come in nests, meaning you get several at once and not just one every time. I reiterate though, much greater scope than its prequel, some Jiggies demanding you do something in a future world (or worlds!) before being able to obtain them. (They're far from the self-contained affairs in Kazooie) Whether the game's size is good or bad it's up to you. I've seen some call it too overwhelming, yet I once saw it described as a helluva 3D Metroidvania. I'd reccomend it!

Kinsei

Banned
I'm giving up on Conker, which makes me sad, but the whole zombies thing is killing the fun for me. The controls just don't work.

I might just see if I can find my copy of live and reloaded and finish it that way.

I almost gave up on that part when I first played it too. My best advice is what was given earlier, cheese them by standing on the grave stones. IIRC you're pretty close to the end, and the game picks up right after that section.

FrsDvl

I almost gave up on that part when I first played it too. My best advice is what was given earlier, cheese them by standing on the grave stones. IIRC you're pretty close to the end, and the game picks up right after that section.

Yeah I did that part, I'm on the part where I need to get the keys. I'll clear all the rooms I have to go through with the key, yet I always manage to get ambushed, very frustrating. If only there was a checkpoint after each key. But if you do one key and die, you have to start over. I've tried way too many times now.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Already out, update was released last night.

It's there. You just have to change it in the options.

Soo, I am flipping back and forth and the only thing I notice is the camera movement when aiming is centered on the curser, rather than moving the curser to the edge of the screen before the camera moves.

Is that really the only difference?

Was hoping for movement with the left, aiming with the right in the more traditional manor...

Some fun stats.

So I follow about 500 people on Xbox Live, mostly consisting of people with high gamer scores, Neogaf friends, and industry folks.

Rare Replay is at 130 people already on my list of people I follow. And that is up there with Halo and COD, and dwarfs hits like ESO and Witcher 3,.

But just for fun, here are some stats from the games that are separate from Rare Replay that you can track on XBOX. This is based on the last ten days.

1. Rare Replay 130
2. Banjo Kazooie 53
3. Perfect Dark 39
4. Perfect Dark Zero 37
5. Viva Pinata 29
6. Banjo 2 27
7. Viva Pinata TIP 25
8. Kameo 24

Witcher 3 40
GTA5 30
Titanfall 26

So the way it currently works, I can only see the totals for the last ten days for games that nobody on my friends list is currently playing. So Halo, Destiny, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, and the such I have no idea where they would be on this list.

Well, Rare Replay is freaking awesome. I'm not surprised that people are flocking to it. I hope that it sells really well once you break down the hard numbers. Rare needs hits, even if they come from a package of its older games LOL

I've had enough of this. Jetpac Refuelled is broken. At first I couldn't install the game. After several attempts I was able to start the game (from the store, not the Rare Replay menu). Now the app status changed to “installation stopped“. I can't start the game. I can't reinstall the game. I also can't delete the game.

Even a hard reboot doesn't fix it.

Fix this shit Rare.

SimonM7

Anyone try to take a dashboard level screenshot in N&B and upload/save it yet? Day 3 with support here and I still don't even know if anyone else is having the issue.

EDIT: Finally found someone else with the same issue. Not just me then. Never mind! :)

munroe

Soo, I am flipping back and forth and the only thing I notice is the camera movement when aiming is centered on the curser, rather than moving the curser to the edge of the screen before the camera moves.

Is that really the only difference?

Was hoping for movement with the left, aiming with the right in the more traditional manor...

That's how it is, when holding left trigger,left stick will move the player right stick is for aiming. Have you actually enabled modern controls from the rare replay options, not from in the JFG options?

So, they have footage of the snes battletoads in the battletoads video, what chance is there of dlc games being added later??

Id love to see the genesis version of battletoads and rc pro am, and battletoads double dragon.

Xemnas89

Well, Rare Replay is freaking awesome. I'm not surprised that people are flocking to it. I hope that it sells really well once you break down the hard numbers. Rare needs hits, even if they come from a package of its older games LOL

It needs to sell well so Microsoft can see that people still want these kinds of games from Rare. I believe Rare's best selling game since being bought by Mircrosoft is the first Kinect Sports and because of that they got put on those games for years. I'm hoping Rare Replay has a similar effect. I also hope Sea of Thieves does well despite not knowing much about it.

goldenpp72

So, they have footage of the snes battletoads in the battletoads video, what chance is there of dlc games being added later??

Id love to see the genesis version of battletoads and rc pro am, and battletoads double dragon.

It likely would relate to how well this sells, i'd not be too confident based on Rare's other history though :/

It needs to sell well so Microsoft can see that people still want these kinds of games from Rare. I believe Rare's best selling game since being bought by Mircrosoft is the first Kinect Sports and because of that they got put on those games for years. I'm hoping Rare Replay has a similar effect. I also hope Sea of Thieves does well despite not knowing much about it.

Yep, also bet your bottom dollar that the achievements, and other likely built-in hidden metrics are telling them which of the games are more popular than others. Great way to not only get sales, please customers, but gather data on possible future titles to focus on.

goldenpp72

Yep, also bet your bottom dollar that the achievements, and other likely built-in hidden metrics are telling them which of the games are more popular than others. Great way to not only get sales, please customers, but gather data on possible future titles to focus on.

Can't wait for Grabbed by the Ghoulies 2 :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Rare guys at Gamescom told me they get statistics about how much each game gets played, independently of achievements.

Xemnas89

Rare guys at Gamescom told me they get statistics about how much each game gets played, independently of achievements.

Well that's certainly a good thing to know. I'm guessing the Banjo games, Conker, and Perfect Dark will likely be the most popular but I could see something like Kameo, Ghoulies, or Blast Corps being high on the list. Then of course people will be checking out battletoads because it's been shoved in our faces recently.

Everdred

Some fun stats.

1. Rare Replay 130
2. Banjo Kazooie 53
3. Perfect Dark 39
4. Perfect Dark Zero 37
5. Viva Pinata 29
6. Banjo 2 27
7. Viva Pinata TIP 25
8. Kameo 24

Witcher 3 40
GTA5 30
Titanfall 26

Awesome little insight. Thanks for sharing.

Kinsei

Banned
I have not touched any of the stuff post '99. I've spent a lot of time these last two evenings with their earlier games. I'm curious to learn what mechanics and ideass they were wanting to learn from and adopt into their design.

What's the cowboy shooter one? I look at that game and it tells me they were looking to see if they can implement transparent walls. In fact, when you look at all their isometric games, there's always a new idea implemented in them. Very interesting to see.

some are just a little obscure for me but that's part of the charm. Still working on trying to understand whats going on in Atic Atac or whatever its called.

Atic Atac is pretty simple. Find the pieces of the key that opens the main door and escape. Don;t forget that every game has a manual you can access by pressing Y before you start it.

OrochiJR

I'm currently playing through Perfect Dark for the first time. I already had it back in the day along with Goldeneye on the N64, but at that time I couldn't really get into FPS games, played them a few times (mainly due to the hype and everyone saying how great they are) but couldn't appreciate them.

Since I discovered a liking for the genre just this year by playing through all Halo games recently, I decided to seize the opportunity provided by the collection and catch up with this gem. And wow, something about the game is still just fucking good to this day. I love the style of the graphics, and what they got out of the N64 (the colors, man!!!), the music is absolutely awesome, and it plays very well. The only things I dislike is that sometimes the missions are at times a little trial and error. But then they can be accomplished in a very short time once you know what you have to do. I guess I'm roughly halfway through the game (just played through the mission where you
save the president abord the Air Force One
). Sadly I'm going on vacation tomorrow and will only be able to continue at the end of next week, but I'm pretty pumped for it.

Once I'm done with PD I'll tackle Banjo Kazooie and Tooie.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, everyone should start up Jet Force Gemini and let it run 24/7 until we get a sequel? Sounds good to me.

I jokingly said I'd need to buy several Xbox Ones and run Banjo-Kazooie non-stop concurrently. I hope my desire for a new Banjo didn't annoy the guys too much ;).

addyb

Loving this collection I really am. Still not played a few of them and these are ones i haven't played before (perfect dark, banjo nuts n bolts, viva pinata)

Been playing banjo kazooie again today. Mumbo mountain and treasure trove done. Oh and I've never played Tooie either. I notice a few less than favourable reports of it on here. It can't be bad surely?

Ya, I know there's more detailed built in statistics that we can't see, achievements are more for our sake. Like, it helps that I can see who got the achievements for completing game "X". Achievements really only help us out, MS has much more detailed built in stat tracking

Bsigg12

Loving this collection I really am. Still not played a few of them and these are ones i haven't played before (perfect dark, banjo nuts n bolts, viva pinata)

Been playing banjo kazooie again today. Mumbo mountain and treasure trove done. Oh and I've never played Tooie either. I notice a few less than favourable reports of it on here. It can't be bad surely?

It's not bad in my opinion just really, really big compared to Banjo Kazooie. A lot of backtracking and such.

Tooie is AWESOME. I actually liked it a lot better than the first.

Tooie gets flak because there are certain sections of the game that are just...annoying to put it simply.

I'm currently playing through Perfect Dark for the first time. I already had it back in the day along with Goldeneye on the N64, but at that time I couldn't really get into FPS games, played them a few times (mainly due to the hype and everyone saying how great they are) but couldn't appreciate them.

Since I discovered a liking for the genre just this year by playing through all Halo games recently, I decided to seize the opportunity provided by the collection and catch up with this gem. And wow, something about the game is still just fucking good to this day. I love the style of the graphics, and what they got out of the N64 (the colors, man!!!), the music is absolutely awesome, and it plays very well. The only things I dislike is that sometimes the missions are at times a little trial and error. But then they can be accomplished in a very short time once you know what you have to do. I guess I'm roughly halfway through the game (just played through the mission where you
save the president abord the Air Force One
). Sadly I'm going on vacation tomorrow and will only be able to continue at the end of next week, but I'm pretty pumped for it.

Once I'm done with PD I'll tackle Banjo Kazooie and Tooie.

I really wish we would see a return to those optional objective based level design.

I replayed pd back when it was released on 360 and it was every bit as good if not better then I remember. I played through on the hardest difficulty and it was super fun and rewarding.

Nudes for anyone who plays this for at least two hours per day, every day for the next year.

I'd be letting it run 24/7 if I had my copy. Fucking Base.

Big Brett

If I'm planning on trying out Viva Pinata for the first time, do I simply skip to Trouble in Paradise? Sorry if this has been asked.

Top Bottom