• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

goldenpp72

Is anyone here able to help me with an issue? I'm trying to invite a friend to play with me in PDZ and I don't know how to invite them to my game since the system doesn't seem to have the 360 guide in BC mode?

Kinsei

Banned
Is anyone here able to help me with an issue? I'm trying to invite a friend to play with me in PDZ and I don't know how to invite them to my game since the system doesn't seem to have the 360 guide in BC mode?

Hit start + select to bring up the 360 dash.

holy shit, snapshot 5 on RC pro am was intense. As someone else said earlier, bombing the first place person is key. Wouldnt have been able to beat it if I hadnt hit him

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Geeze. These A Rank achievements in Kameo are incredibly difficult. I heard they're much easier to get on co-op, but the co-op achievements are worth 0g. Getting at least 1 A rank is required for the 750g stamp. 2 if you don't do any multiplayer.

I feel like an idiot. How do you buy upgrades that count towards the achievement in RC Pro Am 2? Im buying shields, motors, tires...but nothing seems to be adding to the achievement.

Edit: nvm, it just unlocked...it wasnt being tracked at all though

Augustiner

Neo Member
Anyone with an offline Xbox, are the N64 games not included on the disc? I can't seem to play Killer Instinct, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, or Conker's bad Fur Day. I get a message saying that I need Xbox live.

Edit: It also looks like none of the Xbox 360 games work either. They boot up, but then I get a prompt to "Download Profile" which goes nowhere. No option to use my existing one, or create a new one. I'm guessing this game requires Xbox Live, though I don't see it written on the box anywhere?

1upmuffin

Anyone with an offline Xbox, are the N64 games not included on the disc? I can't seem to play Killer Instinct, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, or Conker's bad Fur Day. I get a message saying that I need Xbox live.

Edit: It also looks like none of the Xbox 360 games work either. They boot up, but then I get a prompt to "Download Profile" which goes nowhere. No option to use my existing one, or create a new one. I'm guessing this game requires Xbox Live, though I don't see it written on the box anywhere?

The 360 games have to be downloaded, not sure about the N64 ones, they might require a patch.

Kinsei

Banned
R.C Pro Am complete! I'm not a big fan of pre N64/PSX racing games, but I did enjoy myself with this one. The milestones were a cakewalk after that final snapshot.

RedToad64

Oh man - apparently you can't cheaply get the multiplayer achievements in PD with bots (which is what I did in Conker). This sucks - not only do I not have an extra Xbone controller to boost myself, but I also don't have Live. Curse these Rare Revealed features being so compelling!

This game seems pretty short, too - according to this guide I've glanced at, I'm already about halfway through the single player campaign.
Conker doesn't have online multiplayer.

Augustiner

Neo Member
The 360 games have to be downloaded, not sure about the N64 ones, they might require a patch.

It seems like the N64 ones need to be completely downloaded. The Xbox 360 ones install from the disc, but they cannot be played without downloading a profile from Xbox live. It will not use your local profile.

There is some very small print on the back of the box which says "Additional storage, hardware, and Xbox live may be required for setup.".

1upmuffin

It seems like the N64 ones need to be completely downloaded. The Xbox 360 ones install from the disc, but they cannot be played without downloading a profile from Xbox live. It will not use your local profile.

There is some very small print on the back of the box which says "Additional storage, hardware, and Xbox live may be required for setup.".

Oh weird, assumed it would be the opposite.

Kriken

I am reminded again how much I loathe Clinger Winger, it's bad enough that it's tough as anything with a normal d-pad, but I am not feeling it with the Xbox One's d-pad. The analogue stick is much worse for this, might come back to it tomorrow

Have they or are they fixing performance of the 360 titles ?

Given the BC stuff is still technically in Preview, I would hope/imagine some improvements would be coming out as part of the general updates. Turning off v-sync, or an option to, would do it, perhaps?

This rat race level in Battletoads MA GAWD

I was stuck on that all day, you basically have to tackle the last rat to slow him down

I am reminded again how much I loathe Clinger Winger, it's bad enough that it's tough as anything with a normal d-pad, but I am not feeling it with the Xbox One's d-pad. The analogue stick is much worse for this, might come back to it tomorrow

I thought rat race was almost impossible but this level is something else ugh :( I can only make it halfway before dying and the replay feature barely helps at all....

Fuck that engine/propeller room jiggy in Banjo Kazooie

Awesome combination of instant death room, death resetting a switch in a separate part of the ship, and swimming.

ElRenoRaven

Given the BC stuff is still technically in Preview, I would hope/imagine some improvements would be coming out as part of the general updates. Turning off v-sync, or an option to, would do it, perhaps?

Yea I have no doubt that as BC is improved the games will run better. That's one thing we have to remember. BC isn't going to be out for some time still and is still being tested via the dash beta testers and Microsoft's internal testing.

perfect dark zero was the first game i played on 360 and the first m game i ever played, and i had previously beat it like twice back in the day and remember liking it decently

it is a steaming pile of cobbled together shit that is so drastically unfun one has to wonder why it's even in this collection other than it was an easy port because 360 BC.

RK128

Considering Rare said that they might consider DLC for Rare Replay in the future, outside of the expected games (Live and Reloaded, Rare's GB/GBC/GBA/DS games), do you guys things unfinished prototypes are off the table?

While not likely, it would be really cool to see a few games mentioned in the Rare Replay be playable (Sabreman Stampede was quite far along on the Xbox if this video is any indication, as was the Xbox versions of Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero). Dinosaur Planet and Conker: 12 Tales would also be great picks for Rare Replay as well :D.

Might be a stupid idea, but just something I thought of when they talked about DLC for the collection :).

ElRenoRaven

perfect dark zero was the first game i played on 360 and the first m game i ever played, and i had previously beat it like twice back in the day and remember liking it decently

it is a steaming pile of cobbled together shit that is so drastically unfun one has to wonder why it's even in this collection other than it was an easy port because 360 BC.

Hmm. Call me nuts but I still like the game. Sure it's not up to par with the original but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Montresor

Rare Reply

Dating simulator in which your female suitors don't return any of your Tinder messages.

edit: Wrong thread... I thought I was "Remove one letter and provide a synopsis" thread.

Cindro

Yo, I've come around on O.G. Perfect Dark - it's bloody awesome. I'm acclimated to the controls now, and the story is starting to inject that zany Rare charm. It basically feels like Goldeneye 2.0.

Man Rare Replay is so awesome. I've been happy with every game I've played so far (Jetpac, Lunar Jetman, Conker, and now Perfect Dark). Not to mention the glory that is having all relevant Banjo titles in one place.

Based Microsoft, based Rare. This collection is absolutely justifying my decision to go XBone over PS4.

SimonM7

I have a weird relationship with it. I also beat it every which way I could back at the 360 launch, and had some good co-op times with it. I appreciate a lot of the ideas in it - most of them carry-overs from the original - and ultimately I like having it within reach for a quick revisit.

I think beyond that, beyond my own specific experience and relationship to it, it is kinda fascinating. Just as much as the earlier stuff in the collection is often there to tickle nostalgia or for the sake of our curiosity, I think there's value in letting people check out PDZ as well.

I genuinely think it's both worse and better than people imagine - both extremes in ways that are super weird and interesting.

ElRenoRaven

Considering Rare said that they might consider DLC for Rare Replay in the future, outside of the expected games (Live and Reloaded, Rare's GB/GBC/GBA/DS games), do you guys things unfinished prototypes are off the table?

While not likely, it would be really cool to see a few games mentioned in the Rare Replay be playable (Sabreman Stampede was quite far along on the Xbox if this video is any indication, as was the Xbox versions of Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero). Dinosaur Planet and Conker: 12 Tales would also be great picks for Rare Replay as well :D.

Might be a stupid idea, but just something I thought of when they talked about DLC for the collection :).

Unfinished prototypes are without a doubt off the table. I think the closest we've ever gotten to a developer giving us an unfinished prototype was 343 when they looked into adding the original Halo 2 E3 demo to the MCC.

RK128

I always figured Perfect Dark Zero had the most trouble with its development across its long dev. cycle across the GameCube all the way to the 360. The original Perfect Dark had the advantage that the Goldeneye team did a lot of work on the project before they left Rare due to 'poor' working conditions (latter forming Free Radical and latter Cryteck). With Perfect Dark Zero, you have a Rare that was, well 'lost' with the project.

The Xbox version looked promising after it shifted from the GameCube to the Xbox but I guess either under-cooked ideas and/or it being 'rushed' to the 360's launch lead to the final game being a weak product :l.

RK128

Unfinished prototypes are without a doubt off the table. I think the closest we've ever gotten to a developer giving us an unfinished prototype was 343 when they looked into adding the original Halo 2 E3 demo to the MCC.

Didn't know 343 was going to do that with the MCC....that is really cool to learn, so thanks for the info PsychoRaven :D!

And that is a shame those prototypes are forever 'lost' to time X(.

Jawmuncher

Spent like 3 hours. But it feels so good to be this high on the leaderboard and to have all of the Battletoad achievements now.

CL2tXwlUsAA2T8r.png:large

ElRenoRaven

Didn't know 343 was going to do that with the MCC....that is really cool to learn, so thanks for the info PsychoRaven :D!

And that is a shame those prototypes are forever 'lost' to time X(.

Yes. Frankie had mentioned it once in a HaloGAF thread when we asked about it. They found that the demo was in such a state that it was easily broken. Course Bungie had said this in the past too that the demo was on rails and you could easily get off time and break the demo.

Shame too cause that demo to this day still looks amazing. I really kind of wish that it had made it into Halo 2. Sadly all we have are the easter eggs in Halo 2 such as the audio from the tent section being heard if you linger in a hallway long enough.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I seriously doubt there will ever be a Nuts & Bolts sequel. Unless Rare wants its headquarters bombed by fans or something. :p

I could see Rare doing a Nuts and Bolts sequel (get rid of the Banjo link) but this is after there is a classic Banjo 3. Nuts and Bolts could be merged into the Fast and Furriest concept to create a build-your-own kart racer with platforming. =P

I'm playing Conker right now, and I am trying to focus on one game at a time. How long is Conker?

RK128

I could see Rare doing a Nuts and Bolts sequel (get rid of the Banjo link) but this is after there is a classic Banjo 3. Nuts and Bolts could be merged into the Fast and Furriest concept to create a build-your-own kart racer with platforming. =P

I could easily see that be a possible idea, as the Nuts & Bolts creation tool was really expansive and it being used for a racing game is a fantastic move :).

And your idea of a platformer X racer sorta happened in the past thanks to Crash Tag Team Racing, a late GC/PS2/Xbox racer that had a platforming hub. Here is some gameplay of the game for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC9A_t7C8U4

Not the strongest game with the Crash name on it but it looks like a fun racer :).

Kinsei

Banned

I'm playing Conker right now, and I am trying to focus on one game at a time. How long is Conker?

Conker is pretty middle of the road in terms of length if I'm remembering correctly. Not long but not short either. How far are you?.

SimonM7

I could see Rare doing a Nuts and Bolts sequel (get rid of the Banjo link) but this is after there is a classic Banjo 3.

I agree that they should provide people with a Banjo 3 first if they want to do another Nuts & Bolts. I'm surprised that they didn't realise they should've done that to begin with, or at the very least communicate *very early* what it was going to be. But I also think the Banjo dressing of N&B is a huge part of why it works so well. I wouldn't want to see that stripped away.

daTRUballin

I wish we could see how the Gamecube version of PDZ was like. That was probably the "true" version of the game, before it was forced to switch platforms twice.

I heard that it's actually not too different from the OG Xbox version, but I might be misremembering.

Kriken

Well thanks to Jawmuncher, I finished Battletoads. Also, quick question, is the recording desyncing for anyone else? I noticed my battletoads captures were desynced by a good second or so

Drago

Finished Banjo Kazooie once again tonight, 100% of course. One of my all time favorite games. :)
Need to start up N&B so I can get all the Stop and Swap stuff over with, though I don't plan on starting a full replay of it quite yet.

Not sure what to start up next. I'll try to finish Battletoads, left that mid-level 4. And I can get the rest of the Milestones in Slalom pretty easily. Kinda want to go straight into Banjo Tooie but I'm worried of burning out. I could play more Conker, or start Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Decisions, decisions.

I didn't write them down but I remember the responses. Just keep messing up the music ones. And the ones where you see a zoomed in shot of a 2x2 texture.

UraMallas

I didn't write them down but I remember the responses. Just keep messing up the music ones. And the ones where you see a zoomed in shot of a 2x2 texture.

Fuck. I forgot how unnecessarily annoying this game can be. I'm basically at the same point as you - I've 100% everything through Rusty Bucket Bay but I think I'll go to Click Clock Woods before I do the quiz.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I could easily see that be a possible idea, as the Nuts & Bolts creation tool was really expansive and it being used for a racing game is a fantastic move :).

And your idea of a platformer X racer sorta happened in the past thanks to Crash Tag Team Racing, a late GC/PS2/Xbox racer that had a platforming hub. Here is some gameplay of the game for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC9A_t7C8U4

Not the strongest game with the Crash name on it but it looks like a fun racer :).

That does sound cool. It's definitely an idea that could be expanded on, and Nuts and Bolts would be a great basis for the creation aspect. I would imagine that the single player component would entail finding parts (most of the platforming would be here) and building the karts. The races would be mainly a kart racer with certain platforming elements based on items used for each player's custom built kart.

It looks like Crash was up the right alley conceptually, at least.

Conker is pretty middle of the road in terms of length if I'm remembering correctly. Not long but not short either. How far are you?.

I'll spoiler tag it just in case...

I just beat the area where that terminator thing is, and you have to press the button on his back as you bounce around on a stick. I did that and finished the bee side quest with the sunflower. Now I moved into a different area where it stinks and there is a beetle telling me to get on a bike (I think) where the award is poo. I'm not sure of that last bit entirely as that was where I ended my save for today.

I agree that they should provide people with a Banjo 3 first if they want to do another Nuts & Bolts. I'm surprised that they didn't realise they should've done that to begin with, or at the very least communicate *very early* what it was going to be. But I also think the Banjo dressing of N&B is a huge part of why it works so well. I wouldn't want to see that stripped away.

I think the Banjo connection can stay, but it should also be used as a way to get other IP into the mix. It seems like Nuts and Bolts had a storyline that could support bringing in other franchises.

daTRUballin

You don't really have to do Click Clock Woods if you have the necessary notes.

EDIT:

Welp. Did you write down all the answers from the Fairy Godmothers?

I've been 100%ing every level as I go so I had enough notes to skip the Woods for now.

Still on this dumb quiz >_>

I think you guys have forgotten about the fact that there is a door that leads to the top of the lair that needs music notes to be opened. And then after that, there's the picture of Grunty you have to fill in with jiggies before you fight her. Can you still have enough even though you don't do Click Clock Wood?

Top Bottom