• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Drago

Those insta-death tiles in Furnace Fun always scare me before stepping on them. Got lucky with the questions they gave me at least. Almost died during the final boss too, I finished her off with only 1 honeycomb to spare. That was fucking tense lol

Not a fan of the final B-K fight honestly. But that's because I suck at aiming eggs. Everything else about the game is pure bliss.

I'm going to do the woods because I'm going for 100%, I just want it to be the last thing I do before finishing the game(well, other than getting the pink egg and the last puzzles)

Edit: FUCK FUCK FUCK THIS QUIZ GAME AND STUPID MUSIC I DONT REMEMBER

Cindro

How long is Conker?
My total playtime for it was ~12 hours... BUT! I used a video guide throughout most of the game, because I hated the controls so much that I didn't want to spend any more time exploring or questing than I absolutely had to. And a couple of those sidequests were pretty obtuse, so I'm very glad I went that route.

Well worth seeing to the finish though - the ending is surprisingly poignant, considering all of the irreverence that precedes it.

UraMallas

I think you guys have forgotten about the fact that there is a door that leads to the top of the lair that needs music notes to be opened. And then after that, there's the picture of Grunty you have to fill in with jiggies before you fight her. Can you still have enough even though you don't do Click Clock Wood?

I opened the door to get the quiz show and went in but then backed out because I wanted to do Click Clock Woods first. It was a 750 note door, I doubt there is one after that. I could be misremembering, though.

Drago

I opened the door to get the quiz show and went in but then backed out because I wanted to do Click Clock Woods first. It was a 750 note door, I doubt there is one after that. I could be misremembering, though.
You can finish Furnace Fun without doing CCW but once you go back after the credits to do the real final boss, there's an 810 note door to pass before you can start the fight (along with 4 other note doors that fill up your items and give you extra health)

daTRUballin

No, there definitely is one after the quiz show. I remember that well. I don't remember how many notes it takes to open it though.

UraMallas

You can finish Furnace Fun without doing CCW but once you go back after the credits to do the real final boss, there's an 810 note door to pass before you can start the fight (along with 4 other note doors that fill up your items and give you extra health)

No, there definitely is one after the quiz show. I remember that well. I don't remember how many notes it takes to open it though.

Well. Fuck my memory. It's been 15 years, guys!

I seem to be missing something in Cobra Triangle. Is there a way to go faster than just holding down accelerate? There is a ramp that I have to go off of to proceed, but i am nowhere close to making the gap. I watched a video and the person seems to do it just fine and are going a hell of a lot faster

Edit: oh shit, just now realized that u can upgrade the boat

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just got an A rank on the Ice Temple in Kameo. Decided to do Thorn's Airship next, only to discover that the entire level is invisible and I'm just walking in the sky.

Yep, Click Clock Woods is still awful. Broken platforming, stupid note placement, fetch quests galore, game overs resetting hugely tedious quest chains, and so on. Great concept and visuals though.

daTRUballin

Yep, Click Clock Woods is still awful. Broken platforming, stupid note placement, fetch quests galore, game overs resetting hugely tedious quest chains, and so on. Great concept and visuals though.

Doesn't Click Clock Woods have the best platforming of all the levels? This game doesn't have much platforming, but Click Clock Woods has loads of it.

Doesn't Click Clock Woods have the best platforming of all the levels? This game doesn't have much platforming, but Click Clock Woods has loads of it.
It's janky platforming though, flying into walls to hug around corners. Endlessly rail thin walkways. Enemies that smack you as you're trying to climb making you slowly kill them with eggs and so on.

I think I'm just generally frustrated at this point though so I'm probably making it harder than it needs to be, lol. At least I beat the quiz show.

daTRUballin

It's janky platforming though, flying into walls to hug around corners. Endlessly rail thin walkways. Enemies that smack you as you're trying to climb making you slowly kill them with eggs and so on.

I think I'm just generally frustrated at this point though so I'm probably making it harder than it needs to be, lol. At least I beat the quiz show.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I kinda change my mind. I think Rusty Bucket Bay has the most platforming actually. The engine room alone proves it. :p

The platforming in Click Clock Woods IS kinda janky now that I think about it.

Any word on a patch for the framerate issues with Blast Corp and Banjo Nuts and Bolts? Both are nearly unplayable for me.

Blast corps should play fine, banjo is not so bad either. I only get frame rate issues in the main square of nuts and bolts. The levels run just fine. Try a full shut down on your Xbox.

Edit: I would love to see some of gafs nuts and bolts created vehicles. I just made a hover craft that can separate and become a helicopter. Fucking love this game.

Drago

Holy fuck Rat Race, I can't believe I even actually finished it. My hands hurt now.

Almost done with Battletoads. It's insane to me that anyone was able to beat this game without rewind/infinite lives. Feels like every single move you make in this game has to be pixel perfect :p

Drago

HOLY FUCK CLINGER WINGER

I did it... was at the end and kept dying by literally a single pixel... was lucky to rewind and just ever so slightly inprove previous turns to just barely make it. Jeez...

My heart nearly dropped when I warped back to the quiz board to finish the game. Been so long since I've played it that I couldn't remember if I had to do it twice, lol.

Lothar

Banned
Holy fuck Rat Race, I can't believe I even actually finished it. My hands hurt now.

Almost done with Battletoads. It's insane to me that anyone was able to beat this game without rewind/infinite lives. Feels like every single move you make in this game has to be pixel perfect :p

You did hit the rat to slow him down, right?

Drago

You did hit the rat to slow him down, right?
Yeah. Don't think it's even possible to beat it without doing that!

Anyways, Battletoads complete! After such a brutally unforgiving game, the final boss was kind of a pushover lol. Also, 'The Revolution' is probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen in a NES game. Crazy stuff. The entire game just looked really great, honestly.

I'm actually kind of excited for a new Battletoads now after having played the original, wheras I was kind of lukewarm to it before. If a new game can keep the level variety and aesthetic of the original, it could be really damn good. Hopefully it won't be quite as painfully brutal as the original though (while still being very challenging), especially since I'm sure rewind won't be an option. :p

Malcolm9

I'd love to play Gunfright again, I remember playing that back in the mid-late 80's on my dads Toshiba MSX.

Good times.

if anyone wants an easy completion, you should go play Snake Rattle N Roll. The achievement for completing the game is currently glitched, where if you just go into the game, die, and get to the game over screen, it unlocks. Rest of the achievements for it are a piece of cake as well

flak57

Wait, you don't mean the birds that pop out of the holes do you? Most people just jump and peck those if so...

Hmm. Call me nuts but I still like the game. Sure it's not up to par with the original but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

It is an incredibly weird game to play. It feels like playing a prototype of a polished game. If they were given another 6 months that game could have been something special I think.

I hope they revisit the series again someday..

addyb

Kudos to those that can finish battletoads and do snapshot 5 on rc pro am. I think I'm too old now to have the skills/reflexes needed. Damn good fun though. This collection is awesome. Might try a game I've not played today. Choices are nuts n bolts, perfect dark or viva pinata tip

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does viva piñata TIP click at some point? The controls in the tutorial seem all over the place. Click X, then A, then Y, then X again. Nothing seems consistent so I'm always looking at the top right corner to see what the buttons do.

KAP151

I put RC Pro Am on this after noon and my wife and her sister basically took over the Xbox. They were having an absolute blast. All I heard was them laughing and reminiscing about playing this with their dad.

Good times.

ss_lemonade

Amazing, I just wasted an hour playing Jetpac. I think that #1 leaderboard score for snapshot 1 is just near impossible to reach T_T. I'm happy though to be at #2 at the moment. Will try again tomorrow to beat that

addyb

Tested Windows 10 streaming last night with this. Worked really well. Felt quite strange playing Xbox one games on my new msi gt72.

Considering how stellar this collection is and I know we have had others like capcom, sega etc but it got me thinking of what other collections I'd like to see.

Off top of my head I'd like a konami one with:

Metal gear
Metal gear solid 1-3
Rush n attack
Legend of the mystical ninja
TMNT arcade game
TMNT: Turtles in time
Contra
Salamander
Castlevania (any number of these)
Blades of steel
Gradius III
Track & field
Sunset riders
Yie Ar kung fu 1&2
Time pilot
Silent scope
Rocket knight adventures
Suikoden 1&2
Frogger
Zone of the enders
Simpsons arcade game
Elebits
Silent hill 1-3

Come on konami :)

All 200 points in Banjo, huzzah! Still a great game, some frustrating final levels aside.

Those puzzle master things are garbage though and reminded me of the fun I have to look forward to in Banjo Tooie.

klaus

Edit: I would love to see some of gafs nuts and bolts created vehicles. I just made a hover craft that can separate and become a helicopter. Fucking love this game.
That's a great idea! I've built a replica of KITT & the Flag truck, you start controlling the truck with KITT inside. The hatch at the back can be opened, and you can get out of the truck with KITT. Re-entering / -attaching & closing the hatch, then controlling the truck again is also possible, all without getting out of the car :)
edit: KITT of course also has the turbo boost ^^

I'd love to start a new thread, but first need to create more wacky stuff & record videos / take screens.

One question: does recording clips & uploading screenshots work with BC titles? And if so, how to do it? Never have used the function before..

Atic Atac
Damn, so many great memories...
I'm not sure if GAF is familiar with this:
Atic Atac remake vid nr 3
Atic Atac video nr 2

This above is a fan made remake of Atic Atac made by Michał Kosieradzki, one of the key founders of The Astronauts. Michał made a whole remake in Unreal Engine but
because of licensing issues this labour of love (and not a professional project only a free time tinkering) was never meant to be published.

Damn, i wish that this could be published in that way or another

addyb

So having never played nuts and bolts before what is the general premise of the game. Build vehicles to complete challenges? Races etc

At least notes are saved now, on N64 they reset as soon as you left the level and on that level and many later ones it was tedious

Jawmuncher

Underworld or whatever it's called is ridiculous. All I manage to do is jump shoot and end up all over the damn place. It was a different time indeed.,

Nearly finished Ghoulies.

Whilst Rare's output under MS was later all-in on Kinect (and yet they were still good games, just hampered by the tech), their 'proper' games for Xbox have all been at least 'pretty good'. I have really enjoyed Ghoulies, some slight late-game annoyances aside, and TIP and NB are grand. Only PDZ is a bit meh for me.

Atic Atac
Damn, so many great memories...
I'm not sure if GAF is familiar with this:
Atic Atac remake vid nr 3
Atic Atac video nr 2

This above is a fan made remake of Atic Atac made by Michał Kosieradzki, one of the key founders of The Astronauts. Michał made a whole remake in Unreal Engine but
because of licensing issues this labour of love (and not a professional project only a free time tinkering) was never meant to be published.

Damn, i wish that this could be published in that way or another
Looks pretty cool but the music from Monty on the Run doesn't suit it at all.

Top Bottom