• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

daTRUballin

Yet people failed to realize that their 'bigger' games were coming (at the time, Kameo, Saburman Stamped, Conker Live and Reloaded and Perfect Dark Zero).

....It was just that Microsoft launched the 360 a bit to quickly, leading to Xbox projects being moved to the 360 (Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero), Conker suffering due to little advertisement and its censoring, and a Xbox project dying to get Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero ready for the 360 launch (Saburman Stamped :'().

Yeah, reading old GAF threads from 2004, 2005, 2006, etc and seeing all the hate towards Rare from Nintendo fans (and just gamers in general) is so cringeworthy to read. No wonder their Xbox games failed!

hawk2025

I don't buy this, regarding GbtG.

I didn't play GbtG too much back then, but I'm currently working through it in the collection and, save for the incredible remaster job, it feels like an empty shell of a game.

Bad, repetitive and inaccurate combat, no level design to speak of, and surprisingly marred by non-gameplay interruptions for a Rare game.

I don't think it's fair to peg the reception the game got as Nintendo sour grapes.

RK128

I don't buy this, regarding GbtG.

I didn't play GbtG too much back then, but I'm currently working through it in the collection and, save for the incredible remaster job, it feels like an empty shell of a game.

Bad, repetitive and inaccurate combat, no level design to speak of, and surprisingly marred by non-gameplay interruptions for a Rare game.

I don't think it's fair to peg the reception the game got as Nintendo sour grapes.

I never played the game, so my comments of it being good/great are from the positive impressions people here are sharing about the game. If the game is bad and has flaws, then those issues got exploded thanks to the hate Nintendo fans got with Rare being with Microsoft.

A good game with a number of flaws holding it back from greatness went to a horrid piece of crap due to it not meeting the 'lofty' expectations people had for the game.

hawk2025

That's the thing, I don't think they were.

Star Fox Adventures didn't have a particularly positive reception, either. And GbtG is orders of magnitude worse than that in every way, IMO.

I don't think it's particularly well-designed game either, which makes it fundamentally not something I would call a good game. It feels like a sequence of challenge rooms with ever-changing and arbitrary rules. It's also worth keeping in mind that it did come out 2 years after Luigi's Mansion -- a game that had just done the exploring a haunted mansion thing, but with much more interesting and unique dual-stick combat and a proper explorable and well-designed mansion.

Anyways, just my opinion :)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm not usually very perceptive of these things, but Nuts & Bolts has some pretty serious frame rate issues, right? Am I imagining things? Was the original like this?

Still a really neat game. Never gave it a look on 360.

RK128

That's the thing, I don't think they were.

Star Fox Adventures didn't have a particularly positive reception, either. And GbtG is orders of magnitude worse than that in every way, IMO.

SFA is a very interesting case, as while it was very clear that the SF IP was shoved into an original IP, the game was the problem of Rare tackling a genre they never faced before (similar issues popped up with Jet Force Gemini, as they never made a third person shooter before that one).

While Jet Force ended up being a good/great game, Star Fox Adventures suffered a lot due to the game having gameplay that needed work, combat needed more verity, the item collection needed to be toned down, the story needed ALOT of work and the Star Fox sections should of been implanted more natural in the game (if your Dino buddy was a flying one, I could easily see shooting sections using Fox's staff be in the game before visits to the dungeons or incorporating JFG's shooting mechanics into the game).

Rare never made a Zelda game before and Star Fox Adventures shows. For a first attempt, it could have been a lot worse honestly :). It looked (and still looks) amazing, the David Wise score is fantastic and the dungeons/Star Fox shooting sections are well done :).

Could of been a better game but for what it was, it was a good game in the end despite its issues.

itsc4z

Neo Member
Put about 8 hours into Viva Pinta Trouble in Paradise today, used the save and quit option to finish up and it got stuck on an infinite 'saving' quit screen, as a result my save is now corrupt..

Just letting you guys know so you can avoid quitting that way.

I really like GbtG. It's colourful, humorous and fun, with some nice tricky challenges late on - the 'arbitrary' rules are clearly designed to present escalating challenge and to keep the basic combat interesting. It's by no means exceptionally world-changing etc, but I really enjoyed my recent playthrough - the first I've ever done of it.

Now resurrected my old N&B savefile. I love that game, and yes, I wanted BK3. I prefer N&B to BT by a long way.

FyreWulff

So that's what was wrong... I tried tweeting Rare twice about it but they never replied.

Sweet! Is there a pretty good sized community for this game? Perfect Dark Zero doesn't have many people, but you can find matches pretty fast.

No, it's pretty dead. There was a few aspects of the online that 4J didn't deliver on, so it was super hard to keep playing the game.

Like, the online play itself when in a game is fine. But the playlist/etc functionality is so bad that it killed the online only a month after the game was on. I made a post about it a while back on here. The fact you can't search for online games as a party is a huge one.

Wasp

Put about 8 hours into Viva Pinta Trouble in Paradise today, used the save and quit option to finish up and it got stuck on an infinite 'saving' quit screen, as a result my save is now corrupt..

Just letting you guys know so you can avoid quitting that way.
The same thing has happened to me too under slightly different circumstances.

Last night I selected save and continue, then returned to Rare Replay by holding the menu button. This morning I tried to load that garden and after the loading screen was confronted with a message that said my garden was corrupt of invalid and it suggested I delete the garden from my Xbox. My other two older gardens loaded up fine.

I hope this isn't going to be something that keeps happening.

I now have every milestone in all of the pre-N64 game and I've completed every snapshot and playlist!

There is still a chance for you to be the first to complete the game. No tracked gamers have completed it yet on trueachievements. I think completing the battletoads tunnel achievement gives you an edge...last I checked, only like 60 people have done it

daTRUballin

What the fuck is it with censorship of Conker under MS. It's like a 10 polygon "dick". The game is rated M. Dang Nintendo even allowed more.

Give us Conker: Live & Uncut already

Wait a minute......Did MS really censor some parts in the N64 version for Rare Replay?

Wait a minute......Did MS really censor some parts in the N64 version for Rare Replay?

I did some research.. Lol.
That part is censored on N64 too, just some emulators didn't render the pixelation so it was uncensored there.

So no, it's uncensored (identical to the N64 version)

RK128

What the fuck is it with censorship of Conker under MS. It's like a 10 polygon "dick". The game is rated M. Dang Nintendo even allowed more.

Give us Conker: Live & Uncut already

Didn't think they would censor the N64 version......

They did censor the Xbox Remake, so who knows honestly.

Edit; Apparently, it was the case in the original game too outside of emulation......good to know the N64 version in Rare Replay is the same as it was in the original N64 game :).

daTRUballin

That part is censored on N64 too, just some emulators didn't render the pixelation so it was uncensored there.

Yeah, that's what I thought the poster you responded to was talking about. I did remember that it was censored in the original N64 version as well.

Man, this game is overwhelming. I already had a huge backlog, now I have added reason to finish games from almost two decades ago that I didn't beat. (Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Conker + some of the newer stuff.)

It is really cool, though.

This morning, I beat all of the Sabre Wulfe and Cobra Triangle snapshots.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Oh really? I could have sworn I remember seeing a dick all those years back. Well, my bad in that case.

Dalto11

I really do hope they add a 1080p native port of Conker Live and Reloaded (and uncensored damn it). I love BFD, but the camera really is killing me. I'd pay $2.50-$5 for it.

Kinsei

Banned
There is still a chance for you to be the first to complete the game. No tracked gamers have completed it yet on trueachievements. I think completing the battletoads tunnel achievement gives you an edge...last I checked, only like 60 people have done it

I doubt it. I changed my gamertag when I got an XBONE so I don't have any of the 360 achievements anymore. VP and TiP are gonna take a long ass time to get the 750GS needed for their stamps.

I doubt it. I changed my gamertag when I got an XBONE so I don't have any of the 360 achievements anymore. VP and TiP are gonna take a long ass time to get the 750GS needed for their stamps.

oh, I was just talking about the base rare replay game. The rest arent counted in there. Or do you need to complete the 360 games for stuff in rare replay?

Kinsei

Banned
oh, I was just talking about the base rare replay game. The rest arent counted in there

But you need to reach the highest rank to for one of the achievements. I thought you needed all 330 stamps to get there. If you don;t need all of them, then it would be cool if I was the first person to get every achievement in the base RR game.

But you need to reach the highest rank to for one of the achievements. I thought you needed all 330 stamps to get there. If you don;t need all of them, then it would be cool if I was the first person to get every achievement in the base RR game.

idk...i honestly havent even fully looked through rare replays menu. I didnt notice that the 360 games had stamps or were even listed in this games menu. But i just saw they were. Then yeah, you probably need to complete them.

and while you are here, do you have any advice for the part in the turbo tunnel where there is an exclamation mark and you go over several jumps. Seems like I just go flying forward and off the ground if I press a direction, or if I dont press a direction

Fox Mulder

Didn't think they would censor the N64 version......

They did censor the Xbox Remake, so who knows honestly.

Edit; Apparently, it was the case in the original game too outside of emulation......good to know the N64 version in Rare Replay is the same as it was in the original N64 game :).

I figured Rare added beeps in Live and Reloaded for a shift in humor, as the game was still rated M.

Camjo-Z

Not to mention Perfect Dark Zero's brilliant idea to use "complete 1000 matches of X" for multiple achievements, though at least you have the option of wasting a few hours cheesing those with bots.

itsc4z

Neo Member
The same thing has happened to me too under slightly different circumstances.

Last night I selected save and continue, then returned to Rare Replay by holding the menu button. This morning I tried to load that garden and after the loading screen was confronted with a message that said my garden was corrupt of invalid and it suggested I delete the garden from my Xbox. My other two older gardens loaded up fine.

I hope this isn't going to be something that keeps happening.

The best way to get around it then, is to save and continue then quit the game through Xbox one dashboard

I don't Remember all this backlash when Rare was purchased but I guess I wasn't actively involved in a online community back then. The salt would have been glorious though. TBH I don't know why people get so angry if you loved Rare that much you would have simply bought an Xbox to play their games. I know the day I heard that news was the day I decided I was going to trade my PS2 in for an Xbox.

Despite that I skipped GBTG when it was released on xbox back in the day due to less then stellar reviews. I always wanted to play it though and this collection has given me that chance. Its a classic rare game and I'm dissapointed I let reviews sway me away from it. Their 360 output was interesting I don't think I purchased a single title on day one yet I enjoyed each of them thoroughly, even perfect dark despite its glaring problems (what a dreadful story and dreadful AI). Despite being a long time rare fan both nuts and bolts and the viva pinata series both caught me by surprise by how rare like and enjoyable they were when I played them around release.

Huh? That's not even a hard one :/

Also, yes, you need to get at least 750 achievement points in the 360 games. It's 150, I think, for the XBLA games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
oh, I was just talking about the base rare replay game. The rest arent counted in there. Or do you need to complete the 360 games for stuff in rare replay?

Yeah, you need them for the stamps from milestones. Basically anyone who played/mostly completed the 360 games would have a huge headstart. I got all the stamps immediately from kazooie, tooie, n&b and most of them from perfect dark, but never touched zero, kameo, or either viva pinata.

daTRUballin

I don't Remember all this backlash when Rare was purchased but I guess I wasn't actively involved in a online community back then. The salt would have been glorious though. TBH I don't know why people get so angry if you loved Rare that much you would have simply bought an Xbox to play their games. I know the day I heard that news was the day I decided I was going to trade my PS2 in for an Xbox.

Despite that I skipped GBTG when it was released on xbox back in the day due to less then stellar reviews. I always wanted to play it though and this collection has given me that chance. Its a classic rare game and I'm dissapointed I let reviews sway me away from it. Their 360 output was interesting I don't think I purchased a single title on day one yet I enjoyed each of them thoroughly, even perfect dark despite its glaring problems (what a dreadful story and dreadful AI). Despite being a long time rare fan both nuts and bolts and the viva pinata series both caught me by surprise by how rare like and enjoyable they were when I played them around release.

Yeah, there was a huge backlash over the Rare buyout. Just go read some old Rare related threads here on GAF. The amount of hate they got was astounding. The general sentiment back then was pretty much: "MS wasted their money! Nintendo tricked MS into buying a dead developer! Nintendo made a great business move! Rare has no talent left! Etc, etc."

You'll still find some people still say this kind of stuff nowadays, but the buyout was fresh in people's minds back then, so it was a lot worse.

Xemnas89

Yeah, there was a huge backlash over the Rare buyout. Just go read some old Rare related threads here on GAF. The amount of hate they got was astounding. The general sentiment back then was pretty much: "MS wasted their money! Nintendo tricked MS into buying a dead developer! Nintendo made a great business move! Rare has no talent left! Etc, etc."

You'll still find some people still say this kind of stuff nowadays, but the buyout was fresh in people's minds back then, so it was a lot worse.

When microsoft bought rare wasn't pretty much everyone still there except for the free radical guys? Doesn't make sense to be calling rare a dead developer back then.

daTRUballin

When microsoft bought rare wasn't pretty much everyone still there except for the free radical guys? Doesn't make sense to be calling rare a dead developer back then.

Exactly! Everybody else WAS still there except for the Free Radical people. For some reason, there has always been a misconception that there was a mass exodus of talent at Rare before the buyout, but this isn't true at all. I'm not sure why most people seem to think otherwise.

Exactly! Everybody else WAS still there except for the Free Radical people. For some reason, there has always been a misconception that there was a mass exodus of talent at Rare before the buyout, but this isn't true at all. I'm not sure why most people seem to think otherwise.

Because MS gets hate (i.e. Rare staff knew the End Times had arrived, jumped ship to save their souls, etc etc). Rightly, a lot of the time, but often at the expense of ignoring some things they actually do well.

daTRUballin

Because MS gets hate (i.e. Rare staff knew the End Times had arrived, jumped ship to save their souls, etc etc). Rightly, a lot of the time, but often at the expense of ignoring some things they actually do well.

Actually, the hate was directed more towards Rare, not MS. Nobody at the time was really aware of Microsoft's mismanagement of the studio, so they usually blamed all of Rare's problems on Rare. Everybody seemed to think that MS gave Rare complete freedom (which turned out to be not so true). People only started being aware of this around 2009/2010 when MS put them on Kinect duty.

Having never played it, I'm absolutely loving Viva Pinata. Tried to play some Nuts and Bolts but gooodness the framerate is rough. The town and the first level I went into both were having issues, does it smooth out in other levels?

Top Bottom