• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Cindro

I conkered Atic Atac, with all milestones save for "Inventory Management". It actually was somewhat enjoyable after I found the guide. It had a really neat atmosphere for a 1983 game.

But then I ran into my first two duds - two games I genuinely dislike. Sabre Wulf and Snake Rattle n Roll. SW has the most ludicrous enemy spawns, cocaine-addled character movement, and abysmal sword hit detection. And SRnR controls worse than Conker. I'm glad I got that glitched "complete every level" achievement, as I'm assuming that will be fixed via patch at some point. All SW snapshots are done with, at least, but snapshots 4 and 5 on SRnR are giving me fits.

On the bright side one of my little sisters played Trouble in Paradise today and really liked it - always fun to share great games with family.

Lothar

Banned
I now have every milestone in all of the pre-N64 game and I've completed every snapshot and playlist!

If you want a real achievement, try to get all the platinums on Blast Corps. Then I'll be impressed. The milestones and snapshots are baby stuff compared to that.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I just finished Grabbed by the Ghoulies. First time playing it and its an instant classic for me. Such a charming game. A bit repetitive but yet, I couldn't stop playing it.

My favorite enemies are the Zombies, especially when they fart, and the Pirates. I love it when I knock out the pirates and they scream aaarrgghh! lol.

daTRUballin

I just finished Grabbed by the Ghoulies. First time playing it and its an instant classic for me. Such a charming game. A bit repetitive but yet, I couldn't stop playing it.

My favorite enemies are the Zombies, especially when they fart, and the Pirates. I love it when I knock out the pirates and they scream aaarrgghh! lol.

I am very surprised with how many people like GbtG after playing it for the first time in Rare Replay. :p

Cindro

Underwurlde is...quite a game I'll say.
Is it better or worse than Sabre Wulf? I'm already dreading it.

Though I do love that Sabre Wulf ends with you entering the Underwurlde - but I couldn't tell you exactly why I find the idea of "hey cool, video games had the concept of narrative sequels in the early '80s!" so adorably quaint.

russbus64

Cheated the hell out of KI Gold. The only fighting game I have any skill at is Smash.

Almost done with Blast Corps. I've gotten so mad at that damn red truck, especially when Backlash is involved, or the final part of Oyster Harbor. I still have a few levels to unlock before I can try for a platinum.

Conker or Ghoulies, which should I do next?

Timu

Is it better or worse than Sabre Wulf? I'm already dreading it.

Though I do love that Sabre Wulf ends with you entering the Underwurlde - but I couldn't tell you exactly why I find the idea of "hey cool, video games had the concept of narrative sequels in the early '80s!" so adorably quaint.
Worse I'll say.=p

Worse I'll say.=p

I think it's better, honestly. It's a much better game to understand especially with a guide or something of reference but with Sabrewulf, not even a guide or anything else could save you from how lost you could get within the big ass maze. Plus it has a hilarious animation when you get hit or jump on a wall that is also quite surprising in that it is a mechanic that could help you get to places easier.

EDIT: I played all three and on my way to finish Knight Lore. I think Underworld is the best of the three with Knight Lore coming in a second. It's pretty amazing though how much different these games are compared to each other in terms of mechanics, gameplay and practically everything else except for the graphics and the main character.

Drago

How the FUCK are you supposed to beat fucking Gargos?! Jesus christ holy fucking shit he gets to zero health and still lives, I keep attacking him and he still lives, then he goes bonkers and one shot kills me like its fucking nothing and its pissing me the fuck off FUCKKK

Timu

How the FUCK are you supposed to beat fucking Gargos?! Jesus christ holy fucking shit he gets to zero health and still lives, I keep attacking him and he still lives, then he goes bonkers and one shot kills me like its fucking nothing and its pissing me the fuck off FUCKKK
Launch him in the air with a combo.

Xemnas89

I never played the 64 version of Conker before so I decided to try out the multiplayer for the first time. I really feel like if the modernized the controls that it would still be great. Wish they would patch modern shooter controls.

RK128

Cheated the hell out of KI Gold. The only fighting game I have any skill at is Smash.

Almost done with Blast Corps. I've gotten so mad at that damn red truck, especially when Backlash is involved, or the final part of Oyster Harbor. I still have a few levels to unlock before I can try for a platinum.

Conker or Ghoulies, which should I do next?

It depends what you are in the mood for :).

Do you want a mature game that has some dark humor, more of a platformer and feels unique from Rare's other line up of games? Then pick Conker :D.

Do you want a more Banjo-like game presentation/humor/ect wise that has a interesting combat system and is the 'black sheep' of Rare's entire catalog? Then Ghoulies is a good pick :).

Chris1

Maybe this is a general X1 question, but all these games are just sitting in my Games and Apps queued up... how can I make them all install?

One of them should be downloading, you can only download one at a time.

If none of them are then do a hard reset - hold the power button on console for 10 seconds until the console turns off.

RoKKeR

The swimming in Banjo Kazooie. Fucking hell. I am down to 0 lives now because of the fucking god awful swimming.

My enjoyment of this game has plummeted after getting to Clanker's Cavern. What happens if I die with 0 lives. Have to restart the entire thing?

Kinsei

Banned
The swimming in Banjo Kazooie. Fucking hell. I am down to 0 lives now because of the fucking god awful swimming.

My enjoyment of this game has plummeted after getting to Clanker's Cavern. What happens if I die with 0 lives. Have to restart the entire thing?

You just have to go back to the level from Grunty's Lair. You don't actually lose any progress.

Drago

Hold down the right bumper when swimming or flying in Banjo Kazooie. Controls exceptionally better and yet they never tell you to do it

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Collection would've been perfect with Goldeneye and all the Donkey Kong games, but I can't ask for the impossible. I'm still very happy re-playing most of these games. Very nostalgic as well.

Drago

I'm pretty sure Bottles tells you to do it in the beginning of the game, does he not?
Does he? I skipped his tutorial in the beginning this playthrough so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe he did... hmm

Either way that's info that should be spread around more often, I've seen that complaint about swimming a few times.

Richie

Does he? I skipped his tutorial in the beginning this playthrough so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe he did... hmm

Either way that's info that should be spread around more often, I've seen that complaint about swimming a few times.

If you refuse to listen to Bottles at the beginning, HE will refuse to clarify things if you ask, arguing that you said you had this on your own, so tough nuts.

I love that. Such a Rare touch.

sitting here on turbo tunnel with the game paused right before the pillar hell right at the end. I have never done this successfully, im scared to continue lol

anyone have any tips at all for this part? All I have seen is that it comes down to rhythm

Lothar

Banned
sitting here on turbo tunnel with the game paused right before the pillar hell right at the end. I have never done this successfully, im scared to continue lol

anyone have any tips at all for this part? All I have seen is that it comes down to rhythm

This video suggests to time your pressing of the D-pad with the sound of the walls as they pass and imagine that you're playing the bongos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-vME1aQrGGQ#t=396

Hey guys , when I start Viva Pinata: TIP I get this message:

"You do not have an active gamer profile. To create or load a profile, please press the Xbox Guide Button

If you continue without a profile, your game will not be saved! Please press a to continue."

I'm really not understanding what's going on here, when I hit the Xbox button it just takes me back to the home screen. Has anyone encountered this?

goldenpp72

Hey guys , when I start Viva Pinata: TIP I get this message:

"You do not have an active gamer profile. To create or load a profile, please press the Xbox Guide Button

If you continue without a profile, your game will not be saved! Please press a to continue."

I'm really not understanding what's going on here, when I hit the Xbox button it just takes me back to the home screen. Has anyone encountered this?

If it's the same issue I had, hit both the select and start button (or whatever they are) and see if that brings up the right option.

Drago

Played some Grabbed by the Ghoulies, got up to scene 9. Fun game! Pretty simple but it's a good time so far. Love all the enemies and especially the environments (lots of cool little references in the game room!)

Gonna alternate between it and Banjo Tooie for now, with some snapshots on the side.

Is there any difference in buying a disc versus digitally? I know you can launch the Xbox 360 games separately from the collection, can you also delete them separately? Do they appear as different games in your download queue if you buy it from XBL?

robotrock

Banned
Is there any difference in buying a disc versus digitally? I know you can launch the Xbox 360 games separately from the collection, can you also delete them separately? Do they appear as different games in your download queue if you buy it from XBL?

Yeah you can install/delete whatever 360 games you want

Xemnas89

Just played Banjo Kazooie for the first time since 99 and it felt so great. Got one hundred percent on the first three worlds and decided to take a break. Got a little frustrated with the swimming controls but I quickly learned how to deal with it and had no problems after that. I love this collection.

robotrock

Banned
Ok, so then if I buy it on XBL, how many different separate games get added to my "Ready to Download" list?

fefv5l1.jpg

MrGerbils

You're missing the secret stage that can only be played when fighting another human player. Hit up and B on both controllers to go there.

The Ai can be cheesed with Sabrewulf. Jump + FK then Crounch + FK. Keep repeating that until you win. This can also be used to get supreme victories.

Thank you soooo much for this KI trick haha. Now I can set it aside.

eastx

I'm surprised Wizards & Warriors didn't make the cut. :(

MS/Rare doesn't own the IP.

If this is true, I can't imagine it would have been too hard for them to buy the Wizards & Warriors IP. Acclaim IPs were largely bought up by tiny little companies and well-off individuals when Acclaim shut down. Whoever picked up the license would probably be happy for the money they'd get from selling it, especially since they're not doing anything with it.

You're missing the secret stage that can only be played when fighting another human player. Hit up and B on both controllers to go there.

The Ai can be cheesed with Sabrewulf. Jump + FK then Crounch + FK. Keep repeating that until you win. This can also be used to get supreme victories.

It's down and B for the secret stage.

Also, all milestones except beating arcade mode on easy or harder can be done with two players.

TriAceJP

The best thing to come from this so far for me is discovering the Perfect Dark Zero soundtrack.

Goddamn, that game has some good tunes.

Top Bottom